HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we done if Plekanec gets injured or has an off year?

View Poll Results: Do we miss the playoffs if Plekanec goes down?
YES 57 42.22%
NO 78 57.78%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2011, 08:10 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

vCash: 500
Are we done if Plekanec gets injured or has an off year?

I honestly feed good at every position except for center.

Even if Price goes down for a bit, I feel like we would still have ok goaltending and the rest of the team can make up for any goal-tending deficiencies.

If Plekanec goes down we are dependent on Gomez as our 1. Isn't that a really scary thought???

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:11 AM
DAChampion

How well did Pittsburgh do after both Crosby and Malkin got injured?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:14 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
If Plekanec goes down we are dependent on Gomez as our 1. Isn't that a really scary thought???
I think this should be merged with the bash Gomez thread because thats all its going to turn in to.

But I don't think we'd be toast, I think actually having 4 wingers will prevent Gomez from sucking. Yea he made everyone who played with him worse but that was because there was always someone who really wasn't top 6 on that line.

Gomez can eat the hard minutes with Gio and MaxPac.

Then DD or Eller can play with Cammy and Cole. Using Cammy & Cole along with Eller or DD in a 2nd line role won't be the end of the world. Gomez already sucks so that is a given.

You are not really replacing Pleks with Gomez, your bumping up DD and Eller and as long as they've got 2 top 6 wingers, they'll be alright.

That is where depth is important, your not replacing AK with bottom 6 talent in Moen or Darche, your replacing it with talent that is growing into a top 6 mold.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Not really.

Gomez is not terrible, his contract just makes him look A LOT worse than he is. Eller/DDH could handle number 2 IMO.

We'd be hurt a lot, but had you asked me last year if we had lost Markov, would we be done, I'd have said yes.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:45 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Many thought the Habs would be toast when Markov went down for two seasons straight. As a team they fought hard and different guys really stepped up to the plate.

Having said that I think it's still a difficult question to answer because some guys can step while others cannot. Plekanec is very good defensively and Gomez can be lazy or sometimes I think dumb. Gomez would have the extra burden of scoring too. Frankly it scares me a bit because to date Pleks has been pretty durable. I think the other centers would have to step up dramatically to compensate.

The guys I feel the Habs can ill afford to lose would be in order of having the most effect................

Plekanec
Subban
Price
Markov

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
shiram

I still have my doubts about Eller, as great as his potential is, it's not realized yet. He had 17 points last season, and while I'm sure he can have more this season, I still have doubts about him as #2 Center.

DD is great, but again, he has not proven he can be a legit top 2 center.
Not only that but Pleks is a key part of our PP, PK and well 5 on 5 too.
So if he goes down, like say Markov last season, well it would definately jeopardize the season.

shiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:51 AM
BINYON
Rookie User

Who know? Maybe Gomez would really step up his game to show that he is a #1 center, hush the haters you know? But as people said, it would hurt but i think we could pull through.

BINYON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:54 AM
JimmyDarmody

We'd be finished.

We're terrible at center.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Miller Time

never say never... but our odds of above the playoff line in what should be a very tight eastern conference playoff race would be significantly hurt.

we do have some cap space, and the possible emergence of either Eller/DD as some insurance, but neither would be a sure thing, and we can't rely on Gomez to pick up his game, so without pleks we'd be very thin at centre.

what would hurt the most is how effective Pleks is at playing key defensive match-up minutes, as none of our other centres are remotely close to him in that regard, and with a team that relies so heavily on shutting down the opposition, that would be a touch element to lose.

put my hand to the fire, and I'd have to say that if we lose Pleks for a significant amount of time, we'd end up on the outside looking in come playoffs.

though I think losing Price would be an even bigger blow.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
neofury*

The funny part is our center depth becomes similar to the leafs if he gets injured.

Grabovski? Might not repeat success, he's a question mark.
Connolly? One of the leagues biggest question marks each year

Gomez? Big question mark but has tons of past success.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM
roy munson

Le jinx.

Seriously, I wouldn't say we're finished but it wouldn't look good.

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINYON View Post
Who know? Maybe Gomez would really step up his game to show that he is a #1 center, hush the haters you know? But as people said, it would hurt but i think we could pull through.
I don't think Gomez can me more than a second line centre at this point, but that would be alright...

People have no faith in him. He still has the skills he had in the past few years. He's still the same person and he's not really old. There's a good chance we'll see him bounce back IMO. Don't expect 70 points, but still, around 55 points would not be bad. We always score less in Montreal so we can't ask for the moon...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
OpenIceHit

We are one of the worst scoring team in the league. Losing our leading scorer would hurt big time. Plekanec is a great PKer also. We would definitely be figthing hard to make the playoffs.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
never say never... but our odds of above the playoff line in what should be a very tight eastern conference playoff race would be significantly hurt.

we can't rely on Gomez to pick up his game, so without pleks we'd be very thin at centre.

what would hurt the most is how effective Pleks is at playing key defensive match-up minutes, as none of our other centres are remotely close to him in that regard, and with a team that relies so heavily on shutting down the opposition, that would be a touch element to lose.

put my hand to the fire, and I'd have to say that if we lose Pleks for a significant amount of time, we'd end up on the outside looking in come playoffs.
I don't think our offence would suffer any more than it did last year. Last year we lost Markov, had the Black hole known as Gomez and had Moen in the top 6 and we still made the playoffs.

DD/Eller when you surround them with legit top 6 wingers are a significantly better option than surrounding Gio with a bottom 6 player in Moen and a black hole known as Gomez.

I think we'd have a better offence this year without Pleks than we did last year but that's how much I value depth. Last year, we had 5 top 6 forwards, this year we have 7 imo with 2 fringe players who can fill in (DD & Eller).

The biggest problem would be our pk situation and shutting down the other teams top line. Thats why after this year, I keep saying we need to get a shut down center, spending $5m in cap space and using Pleks in that role is not the best way to use your best playmaker imo.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Joe Cole

To answer the OP-

The Habs miss the playoffs.

The only way this does not happen is if Eller or DD make a HUGE step up and improve, and regularly play much better than they did last year.

Last year, DD started strong, and ended bad when the games got more intense.
Eller started tentative, and got better when the intensity was raised in the late part of the season.

Either one of them would have to have a significant bump in play, and especially in consitency to make an impact. I do not see it happening for both of them, maybe Eller... but I still have my doubts about DD, especially on the current Habs roster. He is not what they need. I hope he proves me wrong. I honestly hope he does.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

If Pleks goes down, two things can happen:

1) Gomez picks up the bulk and the Habs make a fairytale trip to the Stanley Cup, beating the big favourite Western team.

OR

2) Gomez remains the Gomez we've seen the last two years and the Habs enjoy their way to a lottery pick.

Not to add pressure on the Gomer, though.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
jamz

If Turtlenec gets injured the Habs need to trade for a center.

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:05 AM
PATCHESx67

wen ur star player falls someone else steps up

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

No. There's only one player we can lose that kills us, and that's Price. Wed still make the playoffs if we lost one of anybody else on the team. Of course that's just one. If it becomes 2 or 3 then that's a whole other story. We rely twice as much on Price as we do on any other player.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I think we'd be hard-pressed to make the playoffs if he got injured (how much of an "off year" it would take is highly subjective and speculative, at best); even more so than recent years. He's our leading scorer, 1st line centre, and #1 penalty killer (we surrendered more powerplays than anyone in the league last year, btw). In fact, last year only three other players (Price, Subban, Hamrlik) had "measurably" more impact on our place in the standings. The year before that, only Halak contributed more.

Sure, having Markov back might put some fingers in the holes in the dyke (he was our biggest impact player in '08/09), but he's a puck-moving defenseman who needs somewhere to which he can actually move the puck on a consistent basis... or more PP opportunities than we had last year (we were exactly "middle of the road" last year in that regard). There are also question marks surrounding his ability to completely carry this team if need be, given the injuries.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
habitue*

No. But we would be in deep **** if Price is injured !

Gomez, DD & Eller can do the job. White, Trotter, Engqvist, even Fortier can play on a 4th line.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Et le But

I really don't want to turn this into a Gomez thread but that's what it comes down to. If Gomez plays as bad as he did last year, barring a miracle season from Eller/DD, we are probably better off tanking than trading assets for a temporary fix.

If Gomez plays as he did even the year before that, the Habs should be able to limp into the playoffs.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:32 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
No. But we would be in deep **** if Price is injured !

Gomez, DD & Eller can do the job. White, Trotter, Engqvist, even Fortier can play on a 4th line.
That's a borderline lottery pick center lineup.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Not really.

Gomez is not terrible, his contract just makes him look A LOT worse than he is. Eller/DDH could handle number 2 IMO.

We'd be hurt a lot, but had you asked me last year if we had lost Markov, would we be done, I'd have said yes.
Go look at Gomer's stats given his power play time. 7g? Are you kidding me, that's god awful for the amount of ice time and PP time he got. He was terrible last season, there's no sugar coating it. Ryan White would have gotten more points with that ice time, or any player who could put on 2 skates and hold a hockey stick.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Teufelsdreck

I have my doubts that the Habs could make the playoffs if Plekanec is injured long-term. It's embarrassing how thin they are at that position. Suppose Eller or Desharnais were moved up. Who would replace the replacements?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote