HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No WTF moment this summer

Old
07-28-2011, 07:46 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
No WTF moment this summer

No 6 years/$39M signing for Wade Redden

No 3 years/$9M signing for Ales Kotalik

No 4 years/$6.5 signing for Derek Boogaard(may he R.I.P. but that was a bad contract)

Nothing which required you to close the laptop or put the phone down for a few minutes before you chucked it against the wall into a million pieces.

The Rangers re-signed their group IIs with and without arbitration rights for a total of $13.3M in yearly cap hits. Right within the $12M-$13M expected range.

The Rangers signed Brad Richards for a manageable cap hit of $6,666,667 with $57M of the $60M in the first 6 years. $20M in the next 12 months. They used the Kovalchuk amendment to structure the contract within the guidelines agreed upon between the NHL and NHLPA last September. CBA allows a 50% drop in salaries. $12M salaries in first 2 years. $6M drop is allowed. Contract goes from $7M in year 6 to $1M in years 7-9.

Mike Rupp is a good role player. You can quibble with the 3rd year of the contract. Many teams wanted Rupp. The Leafs wouldn't give Rupp the 3rd year.

The Rangers landed Tim Erixon for Roman Horak,Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon. The Rangers also received Calgary's 5th(Shane McColgan)in the trade. Not one hockey expert(Pierre McGuire and Bob McKenzie)has anything bad to say about Erixon. They feel Erixon can play in the NHL from day one.

Only disappointing development was Chris Kreider staying at BC for his junior year. Gordie Clark said Kreider will turn pro after his junior year. Kreider is taking a full course load in summer school to graduate earlier.

The cap went up almost $5M. Thank you Canadian dollar which is now trading at $1.05-$1.06.

Chris Drury refusing to allow the buyout could have been a WTF moment. Putting him on LTI and then using the money on other players would have been tricky and complicated. Drury is gone and the Rangers take $3,716,667 and $1,666,667 cap hits which was expected. The 2nd cap hit might not count in the new CBA which is something Larry Brooks reported.

The best move by Glen Sather was elevating Jeff Gorton to AGM.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:55 AM
gravy121

All that makes me say WTF

gravy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:20 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'm hoping Slats is pushing Gorton into the GM role slowly. Maybe give it a last hurrah for a cup under him?

I mean, it's odd that he gave Gorton that sole responsibility of working out contracts with the most important RFA's.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Yup...first summer in a long time that I can think where I have been completely satisfied with the Rangers' approach. This feels kind of scary.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:28 AM
kennglin13

It only took Sather 11 years to learn all this stuff. The rough part is IF we have problems half way through the season, who do we blame now?

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:34 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

This thread is making me nervous.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:34 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
It only took Sather 11 years to learn all this stuff. The rough part is IF we have problems half way through the season, who do we blame now?
I'm one of his biggest supporters here, but torts

This is a textbook example of when its time to put up or shut up

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Grachev was my WTF moment but it is what it is. He wasn't part of the long term plans and didn't want to be here. I just wanted to get something more for him.

As someone else said "who are we gonna blame now if things don't go well?!"

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

WTF! I can't believe we had a perfect summer!

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Grachev was my WTF moment but it is what it is. He wasn't part of the long term plans and didn't want to be here. I just wanted to get something more for him.

They shopped grachev for a year and no one wanted him...sure it would have been nice to get more but not reality

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:56 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
I'm one of his biggest supporters here, but torts
This is a textbook example of when its time to put up or shut up
This is the first time in a LONG time there are no MAJOR GLARRING HOLES in the lineup being provided to the coach. If anything Torts is going to have some tough choices to make in regards to Wolski, Christensen, Avery, Zuccarello, Valatenko, Hagelin etc.

Very excited for the season. I wish it was 08/28/11 and training camp was just around the corner. This next month is going to be brutal.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:18 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
This is the first time in a LONG time there are no MAJOR GLARRING HOLES in the lineup being provided to the coach. If anything Torts is going to have some tough choices to make in regards to Wolski, Christensen, Avery, Zuccarello, Valatenko, Hagelin etc.

Very excited for the season. I wish it was 08/28/11 and training camp was just around the corner. This next month is going to be brutal.
Yep...this is by all accounts "his" team as the renney era is a distant memory at this point

Any step backwards is on him, barring terrible catastrophic injuries

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post

Agreed. And even there at least the move they made was consistent with a focused, coherent, longterm plan. So, while I think we should have gotten more for him and/or developed him better and will always regret how that turned out, I do support the consistency of the strategy behind the move once they recognized that it wasn't going well.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
ogie

Quote:
these pretzels are making me thirsty

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:33 AM
PuckyTheWhale

The only WTF moment I had in reading all of that was calling Pierre McGuire a "hockey expert"

PuckyTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Still plenty of time to screw it up, but it's been a good summer thus far.

I think the big questions are:
1. Who, if anyone, will find chemistry with Richards?
2. Can our young defense shoulder the load with two sophomores and at least one rookie among them?

I usually have some questions about goaltending, but Biron is more than capable of shouldering the load for 20 games if Hank struggles.

If one of Wolski, MZA, or perhaps a surprise out of camp can fill the extra slot in the top-six, I think we're going to have a very good team this year. Definitely excited for it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Of course, the other question is - does Slats have a trade up his sleeve? No signs on the horizon (unless Wolski gets bought out, in which case you know something's coming), but you never know.

Then again, even if a trade does pop up out of the blue, he rarely screws those up. With Gorton running the contract negotiations and Slats there for trading purposes, we may finally have the two headed monster we have been dreaming of for years....

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Nich

Quote:
this x10000

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Only way they could do that now is trading someone, and I think at least one beat writer has alluded to the Rangers roster being set for training camp at this point.

Quote:
It better be Gaborik, or if not him, then Gaborik better be able to get himself back into the 35+ goals, 70+ point category without Richards. I don't think it's a huuuuuge deal IMO. Guys will work it out and they'll do well. I'm choosing to be optimistic this year but I really think that Richards will fit in well and we won't be tearing our hair out like we were with Gomez.

Though I will say I'm sure there will be points in the season where players struggle some...it won't be like "bam, these guys have instant chemistry that never goes away at all through the whole season". There will be some rough spot...happens to every single team, even the contenders.

Quote:
2. Can our young defense shoulder the load with two sophomores and at least one rookie among them?
IMO this is the biggest question mark for me. I hope like crazy that McDonagh and Sauer do nothing but improve on last year, but it's still a little nerve wracking to think they might slip back. Hopefully they keep doing their thing, but yeah, the defense is going to have to play steady. I have a feeling Del Zotto wins his spot back, but I could just be hoping for him to do that for his sake

Quote:
If one of Wolski, MZA, or perhaps a surprise out of camp can fill the extra slot in the top-six, I think we're going to have a very good team this year. Definitely excited for it.
Yup, if players stay healthy and no one has a really terrible down year then things look good.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
pwoz

I'm relieved we basically the "full" team and it's not August yet.... I hate stressing out in September when ppl haven't signed yet.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

I usually have some questions about goaltending, but Biron is more than capable of shouldering the load for 20 games if Hank struggles.

re: #1- I think anyone with a pulse should be able to find chemistry with Richards. He's that good.

It's all up to Gabby. I hope they come out of the gate flying, and #10 gets confidence, immediately.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers sent out the word yesterday through Arthur Staple and Andrew Gross that this the roster heading into camp. No lingering unsigned RFA with no arbitration rights. All of the key players have been signed. The Rangers could invite an unsigned vet or two to camp on a tryout. They have some summer cap space still available but the pickings are slim in the free agent market.

Old
07-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

An uncharacteristically focused and steady summer session.

Dare I say almost "lamoriello-like"?

07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers are not buying out Wolski. Brooks wrote that on Sunday. Staple and Gross reported/confirmed yesterday the Rangers are not buying out Wolski.