HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No WTF moment this summer

Old
07-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Only way they could do that now is trading someone, and I think at least one beat writer has alluded to the Rangers roster being set for training camp at this point.
True, but you never know what could crop up between now and the start of the season. I'm optimistic, but still guarded.

Quote:
It better be Gaborik, or if not him, then Gaborik better be able to get himself back into the 35+ goals, 70+ point category without Richards. I don't think it's a huuuuuge deal IMO. Guys will work it out and they'll do well. I'm choosing to be optimistic this year but I really think that Richards will fit in well and we won't be tearing our hair out like we were with Gomez.

Though I will say I'm sure there will be points in the season where players struggle some...it won't be like "bam, these guys have instant chemistry that never goes away at all through the whole season". There will be some rough spot...happens to every single team, even the contenders.
I agree that it should be Gaborik. Richards plays the style of game that suits Gaborik pretty well, i.e he carries the puck into the zone and then dishes it off. Gaborik's biggest issue is his lack of creativity on the rush, but if he can pair up with a guy who can do the leg work and then provide him with a shooting opportunity, we should see some great results. Add Dubinsky to that line and it really looks good on paper.

Quote:
IMO this is the biggest question mark for me. I hope like crazy that McDonagh and Sauer do nothing but improve on last year, but it's still a little nerve wracking to think they might slip back. Hopefully they keep doing their thing, but yeah, the defense is going to have to play steady. I have a feeling Del Zotto wins his spot back, but I could just be hoping for him to do that for his sake
I think Del Zotto will rebound. He's too talented not to, IMO. His rookie year he was smooth and calm, but played with a swagger that I think he lost in his second season. He tried to take his game to a level he wasn't ready for, and opposing teams picked him apart easily.

Plus, I think having Richards on board to run the #1 PP unit will lessen the burden on MDZ and allow him to really polish his quarterbacking skills on the #2 unit.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:21 AM
94now

August will be brutal. Nothing at all.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
I just hope that Richards will be able to handle the pressure of MSG. Hes never played in a big market before, and the Garden crowd can be unbelievably unforgiving.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I just hope that Richards will be able to handle the pressure of MSG. Hes never played in a big market before, and the Garden crowd can be unbelievably unforgiving.
He played in the Cup finals and thrived. No bigger pressure than that.

07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He played in the Cup finals and thrived. No bigger pressure than that.
Yes this is true BUT, he hasn't been booed to death for not being a huge physical presence, or for not shooting the puck on the power play lol.

Not saying it's going happen, but we all know how Bi polar the Msg crowd can be. It only takes one person to start booing and every one will jump on board.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:37 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
I think you're giving MSG way too much "credit" I don't know why people act like there's this big NY pressure cooker for hockey when there isn't. Avery was the ocho cinco or TO of hockey and there was comparitively no real extra local media pressure on him ever (if anything he only got good press out here even the black book incident pretty much dissappeared without much mention. It's more the canadian markets that would lynch him) and Drury/Redden managed more than fine b/c there isn't really much in terms of extraordinary pressure here. These boards do not reflect the way most NY'ers are in the city about hockey. Hell these boards don't really reflect how most NHL fans are. Sometimes I think people equate the craziness here on HF to real life craziness

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:38 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Yes this is true BUT, he hasn't been booed to death for not being a huge physical presence, or for not shooting the puck on the power play lol.

Not saying it's going happen, but we all know how Bi polar the Msg crowd can be. It only takes one person to start booing and every one will jump on board.
Trust me, he won't be booed for not shooting on the PP. The fans aren't dumb... they know what he's here for.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Trust me, he won't be booed for not shooting on the PP. The fans aren't dumb... they know what he's here for.
I'm not saying they will, or hope that they will. All I'm saying is, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. Ive been a STH since 2006 now, and I have heard some ridiculous booing for very little reason. And when I say pressure, I don't mean from the media. I mean from the fan base.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
They knew what Kotalik was here for too, didn't stop them from booing him if he didn't do a good enough job of it.

Fans need to be completely behind the team this year. No more Vinny Prospal moments of resentment. No boisterous "I pay,so I can boo" crap. Just because you can do something does not mean that you should, or that it is productive. TO do so only because it makes you as an individual feel better is a selfish act, and not being a good supporter.

07-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I guess Grachev was kind of a wtf moment, but in the end he is just a prospect. Many of us, including myself, tend to get attached to prospects. Its not like he was a guy who scored 30 goals and Sather traded him- so I'm fine with that move.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
How refreshing, seriously.

I am calm and confident going into the season. It's taken 14 years for the franchise to turn things around, but the future looks positive for The New York Rangers.

Have a nice rest of your summer all, out.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:16 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Much unlike the msg crowd, I respectfully disagree

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:29 AM
OldStanley

Not really a WTF, but more of a question, why do you think the Rangers could not have gotten Richards to change his NMC to a full NTC in the last three years of the contract?

He still could not have been traded but if he choose not to retire, the Rangers could have reassigned him removing his cap hit from the team in any of those years.

My concern is that when that period of time rolls around, if he is not very good in those years, and he still just wants to play, the Rangers will be stuck with a poor contract. Buying him out does not contain much... hardly any relief.

Is it really safe to assume he'll just retire? Is it also safe to assume that with a new CBA that retiring players will still be removed from the books? I guess I just don't understand why the Rangers could not find a way to get some insurance against that since they guaranteed Richards a ton of money with the majority of it upfront.

Even with that, which is probably not an immediate concern, I think this has been the best off-season I've ever seen for the Rangers.

OldStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:42 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Much unlike the msg crowd, I respectfully disagree
haha you might have a point

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
This thread is making me nervous.
Too true - we shouldn't get carried away like Sabres fans who are convinced they have the best, rather than the most expensive, team in the league.

But it sure feels good to have a deep organization with consistent management, no coach controversy, and a team that has been together for a while. By all reports Rupp is a good team guy so should do nothing but help strengthen the lockerroom and Richards doesn't appear to have a huge dominating ego. This is the most prepared the Rangers look in a long time - now they need to put up the wins.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
This thread is making me nervous.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
beastly115

Damnit you jinxed it. Sather is going to sign McCabe for 4yrs 4M per.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:48 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Really has to be considered an A+ summer. You have the feeling the Rangers went in knowing who they wanted, and what they were willing to give to get them, both in terms of free agency and the draft. As far as I can tell, it seems they executed that plan masterfully (for once).

*Knock on wood*

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Blueblood 2

We also got less Russian and more Swedish! Not a bad development! You da Man Slats!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Barb Underwood can give updates on awesome skating improvements....that's about it!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:16 PM
gotmonte

THE ONLY WTF THIS OFFSEASON WAS BOOGAARDS DEATH. RIP Boogie

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:25 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Really it's been two years now without a WTF moment. Last year was pretty quiet too, probably because they new they were going to need the cap space for this year.

Next year though, there will be cap space to be had and I can see someone like Hemsky being on the open market. We'll see what happens.

Quote:
You worry too much....you think the team is going to be losing...think more positively, the house is going to be roaring with excitement every time he touches the puck!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

probably the most positive, and hopeful ive felt about an NHL season since the mid to late 90's.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Shocking summer is shocking

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStanley View Post
Not really a WTF, but more of a question, why do you think the Rangers could not have gotten Richards to change his NMC to a full NTC in the last three years of the contract?

He still could not have been traded but if he choose not to retire, the Rangers could have reassigned him removing his cap hit from the team in any of those years.

My concern is that when that period of time rolls around, if he is not very good in those years, and he still just wants to play, the Rangers will be stuck with a poor contract. Buying him out does not contain much... hardly any relief.

Is it really safe to assume he'll just retire? Is it also safe to assume that with a new CBA that retiring players will still be removed from the books? I guess I just don't understand why the Rangers could not find a way to get some insurance against that since they guaranteed Richards a ton of money with the majority of it upfront.

Even with that, which is probably not an immediate concern, I think this has been the best off-season I've ever seen for the Rangers.
I have a hard time believing that Richards will stick around for 1 mil a year after pocketing 57 mil over 6 years. Plus, we have no idea what will happen in the next CBA. Under ther current system, buying out the final 3 years would be ridiculously bad, but in the new cba, buyouts may be far less onerous.

But if worse does come to worse, he could agree to waive for a team looking for his cap hit while only paying him 1 mil in actual salary.

Either way, it's too far in the future to really worry about. There are too many other variables which can't be predicted at this time.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote