HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The End of an Era. Aki Berg Officially Retires.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The End of an Era. Aki Berg Officially Retires.

Didn't even know he was still playing professionally... I forgot about the two Olympic medals. Even though he never lived up to expectations, he had a decent career in the NHL with 606 regular season and 54 playoff games played. Adding the two Olympic medals he could even call it a success...

Fun Fact: The Great Aki Berg trade is still working for us today in Dustin Penner. (Berg ---> Cammalleri --> Teubert --> Penner), funny that the asset went from disappointing highly ranked defenseman, to 30 goal scorer, to disappointing highly ranked defenseman, back to 30 goal scorer

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Homunculous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Fun Fact: The Great Aki Berg trade is still working for us today in Dustin Penner. (Berg ---> Cammalleri --> Teubert --> Penner), funny that the asset went from disappointing highly ranked defenseman, to 30 goal scorer, to disappointing highly ranked defenseman, back to 30 goal scorer
.... So what you're hinting at is that before the trade deadline King will have cemented himself into the #1 LW spot he was handed last year, therefor making Penner expendable. Penner will then be traded for Phaneuf to beef up the vet presence on the bottom pairing for the playoffs?

But seriously I'm glad Berg didn't 'Favre' his career out, it would be a shame to see one of the all time greats sputter to a halt after burning so brightly. Also, could this be the reason the Doughty contract is taking so long, are they mandating a # change so we can immediately raise #8 to the rafters?

Homunculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'm gonna miss the red cheeks.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
In all seriousness Berg could've been great. The Kings ruined him by rushing him to the NHL since they had a ****** devopment program.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
In all seriousness Berg could've been great. The Kings ruined him by rushing him to the NHL since they had a ****** devopment program.
this

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Capn Brown

LoL, today is his birthday!!!! http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=16597

So, what ......did he tell himself at the beginning of summer, "man, if I don't get a deal by the time my birthday rolls around, I'm just gunna retire!" ......???

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Heh. I was actually wondering this myself. Looking back at Berg and some other players like Storr throughout the years, the numbers weren't atrocious, and it definitely raised some questions in my mind about our development system at the time. I have to admit, I didn't follow that aspect of the team that closely during that time, I wonder what some of our more analytical posters have to say about our management and development system that these Kings busts had to endure.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:01 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Doan, Iginla, Berg. What name doesn't belong on that list?

Old
07-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Doan, Iginla, Berg. What name doesn't belong on that list?
Iginla

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Maybe the Kings would not have had to select Berg if they had held onto Zhitnik?

Old
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Mxpunk

I was still in high school when he was drafted. I remember how stoked I was when they were comparing him to a hybrid of Scott Stevens/Brian Leetch...

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Aki only made $8,587,875 during his NHL playing days. I would have guessed more but the NHL actually has a good system when it comes to top picks that don't produce.

Old
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Finnish Scott Stevens he was not. I recall how timid and intimidated he looked playing against bigger and faster NHL players, yeah, not quite the level of talent he was accustomed to in Finland.

I won't forget Aki Berg of all players holding out after a somewhat decent 97-98 campaign, being paired with Sean O'Donnell. So he spends the 98-99 season in Finland, the Kings add Steve Duchesne and Doug Bodger during the off-season, miss the playoffs, and Aki Berg makes his triumphant return to Los Angeles when they bring him back in 99-00.

In the end, he was just an ok bottom pairing defenseman. He wasn't very physical, didn't really stand out in any particular way, he was just an ok player.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:41 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Finnish Scott Stevens he was not. I recall how timid and intimidated he looked playing against bigger and faster NHL players, yeah, not quite the level of talent he was accustomed to in Finland.

I won't forget Aki Berg of all players holding out after a somewhat decent 97-98 campaign, being paired with Sean O'Donnell. So he spends the 98-99 season in Finland, the Kings add Steve Duchesne and Doug Bodger during the off-season, miss the playoffs, and Aki Berg makes his triumphant return to Los Angeles when they bring him back in 99-00.

In the end, he was just an ok bottom pairing defenseman. He wasn't very physical, didn't really stand out in any particular way, he was just an ok player.
I don't think the Kings could have developed him into something he wasn't. If he was rushed and suffered you would have seen at least 1 great year from him wherever he played. He just wasn't that good. Did Aki have the big slap shot? No. Did he have great foot speed? No. Was he aggressive or physical? No. Was he a great passer? No. Bottom line is the scouts were wrong.

Old
07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I don't think the Kings could have developed him into something he wasn't. If he was rushed and suffered you would have seen at least 1 great year from him wherever he played. He just wasn't that good. Did Aki have the big slap shot? No. Did he have great foot speed? No. Was he aggressive or physical? No. Was he a great passer? No. Bottom line is the scouts were wrong.
"Average" Aki is what he became known as. I think once the organization realized exactly what he was, they quickly got a good return for him before the rest of the league found out just how average he truly was. Blake, Norstrom, Galley, O'Donnell and Boucher were all clearly better than Aki Berg.

Then Modry and Visnovsky came along (as did Jere Karalahti), plus the Kings had signed Mathieu Schneider by that time. Trading him for the draft pick that turned into Michael Cammalleri was one of Dave Taylor's best (if not the best) trades.

Kind of got even for giving away Yanic Perreault to Toronto for friggin' Jason Podollan.

Old
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Is it just me or did anyone else think he retired in 2005???

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Iginla
racist

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Iginla
HAH, I see what you did

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I think if Berg would have been been a later first round pick, he wouldn't be consider a bust. Lots of late first round picks (20th overall and on) have put up similar numbers as Berg did.

The fact he was 3rd overall and the first pick of what was clearly our rebuild time (lots of people still hoped that Gretzky, etc. could pull it together after a bad 93-94 season) is what labels him as such a bust. We looked at him and Storr to lead a rebirth and neither player were more than just average. They weren't bad players, just not guys you could expect to lead the team. The fact both, most so Berg, were rushed to the pro game didn't help, and Berg was asked to do to much at just 18.

Funny how of the big three d-men who led that draft year (Berard and Redden being the others) only Redden really had a career which might make him a top 10 pick again. I doubt Berg even gets drafted in the first round if that draft was redone, and Berard might not either, even if the eye injury hadn't happened.

Still can't believe we got a 2nd and Adam Mair for Berg in the end. I agree, one of DT's best deals. To bad we gave away Mair for Rasmussen.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

What makes it worse, the Kings won the lottery moved from 7th-3rd and drafted Berg, Winnipeg moved from 6th to 7th and drafted Shane Doan.

Ugh.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
What makes it worse, the Kings won the lottery moved from 7th-3rd and drafted Berg, Winnipeg moved from 6th to 7th and drafted Shane Doan.

Ugh.
****! I was having a good day until I read that.

I have exactly zero good memories of Aki Berg playing with the Kings. And I'm fine with that. Just another wasted/failed pick in a sea of lost draft picks...

Good thing the internets weren't around then, otherwise I would have been all over Aki, like I'm all over Hickey now. At least the Kings are not in desperate need of Hickey to step up to play D - not yet anyway...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 06:41 PM
FroFan

Quote:
Yep. All of his problems were mental, IMO. He was a great skater for his size, and I think he'd have become a solid 2/3 defenseman if he'd been allowed to develop properly. He got thrown to the wolves early on, and his confidence never recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculous
Also, could this be the reason the Doughty contract is taking so long, are they mandating a # change so we can immediately raise #8 to the rafters?
Didn't Berg wear #5 with the Kings (I think he switched to #8 in Toronto)? Peter Harrold, we hardly knew ye...

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

This is perhaps the most significant moment in Aki Berg's career as a Los Angeles King:

Old
07-28-2011, 07:44 PM
walle

always find it odd when talking about Aki Berg. Did he leave Petteri out of the name when entering NHL?

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:47 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Wait, they had a development program?

I cant remember, who was the scouting director back then...was it Al Murray?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote