HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of NHL's top 25 centers(stole this from the Kings forum)

Old
07-28-2011, 09:55 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Staal and Backes shouldn't be ahead of Pleks but that's my opinion, Giroux and Spezza should be there, Spezza isn't there because of the Sens having a terrible year, really isn't his fault. Also Tavares will be a top 15 by the end of the year
With Backes I think arguments can be made from both sides but I think you're right even though it's close.

With Staal I think he's got to be one of the most overrated centers in the world. Would I love to have him on my team? Sure I would, but he would be behind Plekanec and if Gomez even bounced back he'd likely be behind him too on the 3rd line. He's more fitted for a role on our 3rd line and Gomez would be useless outside of top 6.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
BINYON
Rookie User

Datsyuk is the man.

It is cool to see Pleks on the list, and agreed he should be in top 20 I'd say.

BINYON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
newtown33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You can make a case for bolland when you see his playoff numbers. He's got 34 points in 43 playoff games with one cup at 25 years of age, but you dont measure this guy entirely by points either. He's so much more.

I still remember when the hawks were down 3-0 to the canucks, and bolland comes back from PCS to play in game 4, and knocks a sedin down during the first shift. He scored a couple goals in that game, and all of sudden, the hawks went from down 3-0 in the series, to one goal away from advancing to the 2nd round. There's no doubt in my mind that the hawks advanced had bolland got in the lineup earlier than game 4.... that's how important he is to that team.

Don't get me wrong... I like Bolland, but it shouldn't be based on 1 game (by the way that was an awesome game). He could probably make a case for himself playing a full year, but that hasn't happened for a while now...

newtown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Joe Cole

I agree with the poster above who said after the top 5, it is a crap shoot.

Regardless, the list is made to amuse people. It's just for fun, more or less like...

"What is the best flavor of ice cream?"

- answer, it ain't bubblegum

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 03:07 PM
alexstream

where is gomez on that list? this is ********

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:55 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I agree with the poster above who said after the top 5, it is a crap shoot.

Regardless, the list is made to amuse people. It's just for fun, more or less like...

"What is the best flavor of ice cream?"

- answer, it ain't bubblegum
Actually, after Crosby, it's a crap shoot

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtown33 View Post
Don't get me wrong... I like Bolland, but it shouldn't be based on 1 game (by the way that was an awesome game). He could probably make a case for himself playing a full year, but that hasn't happened for a while now...
to be fair, it wasn't just one game. He scored 6 points in the 4 playoff games that he played and he couldnt have been anywhere near 100%.

But I agree about his health... that's definitely a concern and a knock against him.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
So Dave Bolland is a No. 1 center? Riiiiight.

1. Crosby
2. Datsyuk
3. Toews
4. Malkin
5. Zetterberg
6. H. Sedin
7. Stamkos
8. Joe Thornton
9. Kesler
10. Backstrom
11. Getzlaf
12. Kopitar
13. Staal
14. Giroux
15. Mikko Koivu
16. B. Richards
17. Stasny
18. M. Richards
19. Plekanec
20. Spezza
21. Carter
22. Tavares
23. Duchene
24. Bergeron
25. Lecavalier

That's my list. Probably forgot someone.
Actually when healthy, Bolland could easily play on someones top line for awhile. Moreover, he could also play that checking role as well, making him as versatile as Kesler, simply less physical and more slick.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:59 AM
dm1371

Omg awful list.. Toews at 3? MALKIN AT 6 ? give your head a shake...

dm1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
caper8

Bergeron lower than Plecs? Really?? Tavares lower??? Who would YOU rather have?

caper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Subnordi

My list

1.Crosby
2.Datsyuk
3.Getzlaf
4.Malkin
5.H.Sedin
6.Stamkos
7.Kopitar
8.Kesler
9.E.Staal
10.Thornton
11.Toews
12.B.Richards
13.Backstrom
14.Giroux
15.Zetterberg
16.M.Richards
17.M.Koivu
18.Carter
19.Tavares
20.Plekanec
21.Stastny
22.Duchene
23.Spezza
24.Lecavalier
25.Krejci

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:59 PM
thusk

for me it's something like that

1- Sidney Crosby
2- Pavel Datsyuk
3- Henrik Sedin
4- Jonathan Toews
5- Érik Staal
6- Steven Stamkos
7- Anze Kopitar
8- Evgeni Malkin
9- Joe Thornton
10- Nicklas Backstrom
11- Mikko Koivu
12- Ryan Getzlaf
13- Brad Richards
14- Jeff Carter
15- Ryan Kesler
16- Paul Statsny
17- Claude Giroux
18- Mike Richard
19- Tomas Plekanec
20- Jason Spezza
21- John Tavares
22- Matt Duchene
23- David Krejci
24- Derek Roy
25- Patrice Bergeron

thusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:57 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1371 View Post
Omg awful list.. Toews at 3? MALKIN AT 6 ? give your head a shake...
Toews is a way better all around CENTERMAN. Not even close imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp9636

25. John Tavares, New York Islanders
24. Dave Bolland, Chicago Blackhawks
23. Tomas Plekanec, Montreal Canadiens
22. Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche
21. David Backes, St. Louis Blues ----> not on this list for me
20. Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh Penguins
19. Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings
18. Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
17. Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild
16. Jeff Carter, Columbus Blue Jackets
15. Nicklas Backstrom, Washington Capitals
14. Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings
13. Brad Richards, New York Rangers
12. Mike Richards, Los Angeles Kings
11. Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay Lightning
10. Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks
9. Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks
8. Eric Staal, Carolina Hurricanes
7. Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks
6. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
5. Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
4. Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
3. Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks
2. Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
1. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins

In all honesty I don't think they did that great, I see Kopitar in the top 15, Lecavalier in 16 and back, and not being a homer but I see Plekanec higher.
Zetterberg should be higher imo. Thornton can't skate and doesn't know how to win. Toews over Getzlaf? I don't think so. Kopitar WAY too low. He's top 10, easy. (Would have been ours if we had drafted for need -- just sayin'... same with Getzlaf). If PG was GM then, you have to think he would have taken both those guys.

I'd probably take Staal over Malkin as well.

Stamkos should be higher. I'd put him third, maybe second. Just cuz of the sniping centerman. Sedin is so talented, but such a wuss. I'd drop him some and he only makes the top ten for me because of his skill, no other reason. I'd drop Lecavalier more cuz of his work ethic.

25. Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh Penguins---> lower, numbskull in the offensive zone
24. Dave Bolland, Chicago Blackhawks ---> this must be a joke or something
22. Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche ---> rising with a bullet
21. John Tavares, New York Islanders ---> rising with a bullet
20. Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay Lightning (loafer)
19. Jeff Carter, Columbus Blue Jackets (loafer)
18. Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins ---> as a centerman, he's awesome. if his all-around game returns, he's even higher
17. Brad Richards, Los Angeles Kings (slacker-->we'll see what he decides to do with the fat money. I say he lays down)
16. Tomas Plekanec, Montreal Canadiens (hasn't had much help and shutting down Crosby and Backstrom two years ago was impressive)
15. Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild ---> still getting better
14. Mike Richards, New York Rangers (a real gamer. probably the next tier in skill, but he wins anyway)
13. Nicklas Backstrom, Washington Capitals
12. Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks (not a winner--same as Sedin, how do you win with a big, predictable slow guy?)
11. Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks (not a winner, for me it's about being able to win a Cup, not about how many coke bottles you can deke around)
10. Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings (give the choice of Thornton or Z, I would probably take Z)
9. Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks (was injured in the playoffs, but if he continues to improve I think he's a more valuable playoff guy than Sedin)
8. Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings (now he has some help - look out NHL, assuming he's the same after that horrific injury)
7. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins (if he were on the wing, it would be a different question for me)
6. Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks ---> and getting better?
5. Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks
4. Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
3. Eric Staal, Carolina Hurricanes
2. Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning (if he and St-Louis get a bit more help, look out)

Last edited by tinyzombies: 07-31-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: merged posts
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:10 PM
habsjunkie2*

Not a bad list, I think pleks should be a little better than 23rd. I think you could easily move him up into the top 20, but all in all, it's pretty close.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:16 AM
NoVe

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
With Backes I think arguments can be made from both sides but I think you're right even though it's close.

With Staal I think he's got to be one of the most overrated centers in the world. Would I love to have him on my team? Sure I would, but he would be behind Plekanec and if Gomez even bounced back he'd likely be behind him too on the 3rd line. He's more fitted for a role on our 3rd line and Gomez would be useless outside of top 6.
Lol...Gomez is useless in the top6 as well. Dead weight.!!! Enjoying his contract yet. Stop lieing to urself..lol

NoVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:19 AM
NoVe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
where is gomez on that list? this is ********
Gomez is probably around 90th.

He is high priced garbage..lol

NoVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
David Krejci is missing from that list.

Mikhail Grabovsky is an honourable mention. He's better than some of the players on the original list.
This was my thought as well. I have come to realize that Plekanec and Krejci get overlooked by a lot of non Bruins/Canadiens fans. I don't know what else Krejci could have done these playoffs.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Subnordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
This was my thought as well. I have come to realize that Plekanec and Krejci get overlooked by a lot of non Bruins/Canadiens fans. I don't know what else Krejci could have done these playoffs.
Leading scorer, there are a lot of underrated players in the NHL, and it frustrates me when people like Krejci and Plekanec aren't acknowledged.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVe View Post
Lol...Gomez is useless in the top6 as well. Dead weight.!!! Enjoying his contract yet. Stop lieing to urself..lol
Gomez has had one bad season out of several alright and great ones. Just because I don't jump to conclusions like the rest of you all do doesn't mean I'm lying to myself.

Some folks said the same **** about Plekanec after one bad season and he has had far less success overall than Gomez has in his career.

If anyone is lying to themselves it's you for making an assumption that a guy who has had 1 bad season can't bounce back. He wasn't so useless in the playoffs last season or en route when he put up 40 pts in like the 40 remaining games. This past season was a bad year, an anomaly, and until it's proven otherwise Gomez is more suited for a 2nd line role than Staal is. Hate to break it to you but often times Staal looks completely lost offensively. Gomez had one bad year, I know you guys hate the contract but come on. Some folks are going to eat an awful lot of crow this year if Gomer bounces back. (Jordan Staal will never put up Gomez numbers in his career. NEVER)

Why anyone would assume a guy is finished just cause of one bad season is beyond me.

And before you guys try to say "it wasn't just one bad season" and reference some 60 point seasons he had, 50+ points is fine production for a 2nd liner.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Subnordi

Quote:
Gomez has had one bad season out of several alright and great ones. Just because I don't jump to conclusions like the rest of you all do doesn't mean I'm lying to myself.

Some folks said the same **** about Plekanec after one bad season and he has had far less success overall than Gomez has in his career.

If anyone is lying to themselves it's you for making an assumption that a guy who has had 1 bad season can't bounce back. He wasn't so useless in the playoffs last season or en route when he put up 40 pts in like the 40 remaining games. This past season was a bad year, an anomaly, and until it's proven otherwise Gomez is more suited for a 2nd line role than Staal is. Hate to break it to you but often times Staal looks completely lost offensively. Gomez had one bad year, I know you guys hate the contract but come on. Some folks are going to eat an awful lot of crow this year if Gomer bounces back. (Jordan Staal will never put up Gomez numbers in his career. NEVER)

Why anyone would assume a guy is finished just cause of one bad season is beyond me.

And before you guys try to say "it wasn't just one bad season" and reference some 60 point seasons he had, 50+ points is fine production for a 2nd liner.
THANK YOU! I've been saying this and people just answer with "You poor soul"

Old
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

This seems rational. And Gomer did win a Cup as a second line center I believe. And even with injury, Tim Connolly should be on that list too.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp9636

25. John Tavares, New York Islanders
24. Dave Bolland, Chicago Blackhawks
23. Tomas Plekanec, Montreal Canadiens
22. Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche
21. David Backes, St. Louis Blues
20. Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh Penguins
19. Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings
18. Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
17. Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild
16. Jeff Carter, Columbus Blue Jackets
15. Nicklas Backstrom, Washington Capitals
14. Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings
13. Brad Richards, New York Rangers
12. Mike Richards, Los Angeles Kings
11. Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay Lightning
10. Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks
9. Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks
8. Eric Staal, Carolina Hurricanes
7. Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks
6. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
5. Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
4. Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
3. Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks
2. Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings

In all honesty I don't think they did that great, I see Kopitar in the top 15, Lecavalier in 16 and back, and not being a homer but I see Plekanec higher.
Wow...Kesler at #10? I like him and everything but his offense gets massively overrated, he gets most of his points tapping in sweet feeds and rebounds from the Sedins on the PP.

You could arguably put Plekanec anywhere from 16-25. I agree that Lecavlier is too high, I would take Plekanec and Kopitar ahead of him in a heartbeat. Carter is a bit high, yes he scores a lot of goals, but he doesn't make linemates better, isn't the grittiest and he disapears at playoff time.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 08-02-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:08 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
This listing process is proff that great centers are not required to win the cup. David Krejci and P Bergeron are not exceptional centermen.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
This listing process is proff that great centers are not required to win the cup. David Krejci and P Bergeron are not exceptional centermen.
depends on your definition of exceptional, but bergeron ate up the habs. He's got slick hands, sound positionally, and absolutely abolished montreal in the faceoff circle. He controls the game well.

I love his game, just hate the team lol.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:10 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Wow...Kesler at #10? I like him and everything but his offense gets massively overrated, he gets most of his points tapping in sweet feeds and rebounds from the Sedins on the PP.

You could arguably put Plekanec anywhere from 16-25. I agree that Lecavlier is too high, I would take Plekanec and Kopitar ahead of him in a heartbeat. Carter is a bit high, yes he scores a lot of goals, but he doesn't make linemates better, isn't the grittiest and he disapears at playoff time.
You must not have seen much of Kesler play over the years, he's hardly just tapping in sweet feeds and rebounds from the Sedins on the PP. He's probably got the best shot on the team.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote