HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part II (incl. protest discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2011, 07:10 PM
couris

vCash: 500
COMM 210 212 c dla marde.

Old
07-24-2011, 07:56 PM
MetroGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
COMM 215 - I ended up with Buyukkurt, and she doesn't allow laptops. From all accounts, she (and all the others) are terrible. I'm seriously leaning towards taking Nebebe's online class just so I don't have to deal with these fools and I get to keep everything electronic (which is a big deal for me). Other than that, there's Kermani and Bayne.
She does allow laptops but only in the last row; I used to bring mine. She's actually a pretty good teacher.

Do not take Kermani. I had him for COMM 225 and although he's a very nice, old man (he's fun to talk to), he should not be teaching anymore. I feel bad talking bad about him, but it's the truth.

Old
07-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
She does allow laptops but only in the last row; I used to bring mine. She's actually a pretty good teacher.
Hmm, anything more to share on her?

Old
07-24-2011, 08:15 PM
couris

you should get A+ is comm215

Old
07-24-2011, 08:25 PM
MetroGnome

Quote:
Hmm, anything more to share on her?
It was a while ago so my memory is a little hazy. You have to buy the iClicker. She's the only section to use it and you have to bring it every class because it counts towards attendance (10%). She gives you several (long) assignments to do in groups of 2.

She explains the material well and gives you a detailed outline of what to know for each chapter, but she does not go through problems in class so you’re on your own for that. I just went to the free weekly tutorials for examples/problems which helped a lot.

Looking back I’d probably take it online and go to the weekly tutorials if anything.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
It was a while ago so my memory is a little hazy. You have to buy the iClicker. She's the only section to use it and you have to bring it every class because it counts towards attendance (10%). She gives you several (long) assignments to do in groups of 2.

She explains the material well and gives you a detailed outline of what to know for each chapter, but she does not go through problems in class so you’re on your own for that. I just went to the free weekly tutorials for examples/problems which helped a lot.

Looking back I’d probably take it online and go to the weekly tutorials if anything.
Good stuff, thanks dude.

So, you're saying I should take Nebebe's online course instead of going through with her?

Old
07-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Anyone taking:
COMP 376 - Intro to Computer Game Development
COMP 472 - Artificial Intelligence
ENCS 393 - Social and Ethical Dimensions of Information and Communication Technologies
SOEN 422 - Embedded Systems and Software

Old
07-25-2011, 09:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Anyone doing comm 217 right now?

Old
07-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Anyone doing comm 217 right now?
I'm gonna take it in the fall. It's gonna be fun!

Old
07-26-2011, 07:42 AM
buddahsmoka1

Concordia it is.

Does anyone have any research experience in the arts at Concordia? Which teachers like to use students for researching? How did you get your position?

If there are any poli sci researchers on here, please PM me.

Old
07-26-2011, 09:00 AM
MetroGnome

Quote:
Good stuff, thanks dude.

So, you're saying I should take Nebebe's online course instead of going through with her?
I sense that it's very doable to do it online because the material is not very intense and there are outside resources available (tutorials), but if you prefer going to class then Buyukkurt is not a bad choice. Or you can just sign up for the online class and go to her class when you want. Ultimately it's up to you!

Old
07-28-2011, 12:02 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Kind of have an emergency here. I need quick suggestions for an easy general elective. Can be an internet course, I don't care. Appreciate any answers.

Old
07-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Concordia it is.

Does anyone have any research experience in the arts at Concordia? Which teachers like to use students for researching? How did you get your position?

Dude your doing poli sci at concordia? Should have come to mcgill and taken some poli sci courses with me!

Old
07-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Sebaldian

Anyone here get into a Canadian university as a mature student? Looking for information on what the process is like, and any tips or suggestions.

Old
07-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Concordia it is.

Congrats on your decision.

Virtually every prof is researching, and any tenured professor will use students for research as well. Your best bet is to stick to classes taught by tenured professors in fields you're interested in, maintain a GPA of at least 3.8, and excel specifically in their classes. After a year of this and forging relationships with professors and being visible around the department, I'd recommend getting active in some other capacities at school. Then in your third year, you can start seeking TA positions (rare for undergrad students, but available), RA positions, etc. That's roughly what an optimal path ought to be for your undergrad development.

Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Old
07-28-2011, 08:54 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Kind of have an emergency here. I need quick suggestions for an easy general elective. Can be an internet course, I don't care. Appreciate any answers.
BIOL 208 is

Old
07-28-2011, 08:55 AM
prevail

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Anyone here get into a Canadian university as a mature student? Looking for information on what the process is like, and any tips or suggestions.
I'm a mature entry student. I went in at the beginning and talked to an advisor, they told me pretty much the same thing I found on the Concordia site but it was nice to get re-assurance.

Going pretty well so far, you take maybe 6-9 extra courses depending on your position, meet their requirements and then when you're done, you apply to your program. It wasn't too hard to get into business at Concordia (B- minimum for your maths, and a 2.7+ GPA)

What would you like to know?

Old
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prevail View Post
I'm a mature entry student. I went in at the beginning and talked to an advisor, they told me pretty much the same thing I found on the Concordia site but it was nice to get re-assurance.

Going pretty well so far, you take maybe 6-9 extra courses depending on your position, meet their requirements and then when you're done, you apply to your program. It wasn't too hard to get into business at Concordia (B- minimum for your maths, and a 2.7+ GPA)

What would you like to know?
Hey, thanks for the reply.
Were you required to submit a letter of intent and/or a resume with your application? Did they interview you before you were accepted? Do find you're treated the same as the regular straight out of high school students?

Old
07-28-2011, 09:05 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
BIOL 208 is
Forgot to mention that I'm at concordia. Even if it's easy, not sure biology is really my thing. How easy are we talking here?

Old
07-28-2011, 09:44 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
I applied as mature student as well. No interview, no advising. I made a mature student application and gave in HS transcript and maybe college transcript. They asked me to write a short reason why I should be accepted. I made up a story, likely faster than I write a reply on HF. I forgot about it and eventually got accepted. That being said, it depends the program, some programs require portfolios and maybe interviews because availability is limited. I applied for engineering and there's a ******** of people who get accepted every year.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post
I'm gonna take it in the fall. It's gonna be fun!
Lol, it's not too bad. Lots of stuff to remember, and it requires a lot of practice to get it down, but a good grade is very doable.

COMM 305 is the one you have to look out for. That's a killer. I got a B, my lowest grade at Concordia thus far, but I worked my butt off for it, so I'm proud.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Forgot to mention that I'm at concordia. Even if it's easy, not sure biology is really my thing. How easy are we talking here?
I haven't done a lot of electives but these classes really depend on teacher, i'd say choose something moderately useful so you'll at least be half motivated to do it. I plan on doing MANA 300. There's easier classes I'm sure but I'd rather take something business related over anthropology or a social science course.

For myself, I'd choose out of this list:

ECON 201 Introduction to Microeconomics
ECON 203 Introduction to Macroeconomics
ADMI 201 Introduction to Administration
ADMI 202 Perspective on Canadian Business
MANA 213 Foundations of Behaviour
MANA 266 Foundations of Modern Management
MANA 300 Entrepreneurship: Launching Your Business
MARK 201 Introduction to Marketing

I believe they apply to you as well.(I know it does for eng, but comp sci is same department so not sure).

http://registrar.concordia.ca/calendar/pdf/cal11-12.pdf

Page 452-453

Old
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I haven't done a lot of electives but these classes really depend on teacher, i'd say choose something moderately useful so you'll at least be half motivated to do it. I plan on doing MANA 300. There's easier classes I'm sure but I'd rather take something business related over anthropology or a social science course.

For myself, I'd choose out of this list:

ECON 201 Introduction to Microeconomics
ECON 203 Introduction to Macroeconomics
ADMI 201 Introduction to Administration
ADMI 202 Perspective on Canadian Business
MANA 213 Foundations of Behaviour
MANA 266 Foundations of Modern Management
MANA 300 Entrepreneurship: Launching Your Business
MARK 201 Introduction to Marketing

I believe they apply to you as well.(I know it does for eng, but comp sci is same department so not sure).

http://registrar.concordia.ca/calendar/pdf/cal11-12.pdf

Page 452-453
I was already looking at ADMI202 as an online course. Intro to marketing is another one I'm definitely interested in. Are you taking either this semester?

Old
07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I was already looking at ADMI202 as an online course. Intro to marketing is another one I'm definitely interested in. Are you taking either this semester?
I'm taking MANA 300 fall 2012. Yeah, I plan ahead. Other than that, in engr they ask you to choose one GE, but for industrial, it's given to you as ACCO 220. That may also be an elective for you, not sure though.

Old
07-28-2011, 12:06 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I'm taking MANA 300 fall 2012. Yeah, I plan ahead. Other than that, in engr they ask you to choose one GE, but for industrial, it's given to you as ACCO 220. That may also be an elective for you, not sure though.
I've taken the online admin 202 class. I already help manage a business and plan on having my own studio in a few years, so that is very welcome information. I need one more class, you taking any electives this semester?

Does anyone know what the EWT test is all about?

Closed Thread