Derek Boogaard Passes

Old
07-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Shocked especially after reading the TSN article...

Last edited by Fel 96: 07-22-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I can only imagine how devastated Aaron must feel. But that's an extremely ****** and stupid thing to do just getting out of rehab. He's going to have to explain himself and face the music.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

http://www.startribune.com/local/126018348.html

New details have been added.

Old
07-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Quote:
Statement from Aaron Boogaard's attorney's: "We are pleased that Aaron Boogaard is with his family, having been released from custody by both Hennepin County and U.S. immigration authorities. We will address the allegations in court rather than in the media, but note that Aaron was and remains devastated by his brother's death. The entire Boogaard family has suffered tremendous loss and we ask that you respect their privacy as they continue to mourn the death of Derek."
http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/Russostrib/~OeprJ

Old
07-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Caior89

vCash: 353
WOW!!!
thats... complicated.

Thats a lot for the family to take.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:34 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Its also complete BS they are charging it on him too. Means any hopes of doing something in the United States are essentially voided varying on the charge. Possessing and distributing a Level 1 Controlled Substance is a felony. Automatic deportation. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:17 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Its also complete BS they are charging it on him too. Means any hopes of doing something in the United States are essentially voided varying on the charge. Possessing and distributing a Level 1 Controlled Substance is a felony. Automatic deportation. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200
Prescription painkillers are Schedule 2 controlled substances.

I don't know why you'd say it's BS they're charging him with it. He did it. It's not like they're making up charges just to deport him.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 05:04 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Prescription painkillers are Schedule 2 controlled substances.

I don't know why you'd say it's BS they're charging him with it. He did it. It's not like they're making up charges just to deport him.
**** I scrolled down too fast and missed the Schedule 2 part. Oops.

But its BS for the sportsworld because its always been tolerated. Would they have charged him if he was still alive would it have happened?? I don't think so.

Old
07-23-2011, 06:28 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
**** I scrolled down too fast and missed the Schedule 2 part. Oops.

But its BS for the sportsworld because its always been tolerated. Would they have charged him if he was still alive would it have happened?? I don't think so.
So a guy has a gun on his belt and decides to shoot and kill someone.Would they have known he didn't have a conceal and carry permit if he wouldn't have shot him?

The one incident lead to finding out about the other. Would they have known his brother was giving him pain meds? Probably not.

Unless I haven't read it, he's lucky he's not being charged with manslaughter.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:41 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
So a guy has a gun on his belt and decides to shoot and kill someone.Would they have known he didn't have a conceal and carry permit if he wouldn't have shot him?

The one incident lead to finding out about the other. Would they have known his brother was giving him pain meds? Probably not.

One of the articles earlier in the thread mentioned that the mixture of drugs in his system made it difficult or impossible to say exactly what killed him. They can only trace one or two things back to Aaron, so they can't rightfully say that what he did led to the death.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:49 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post

When you own a weapon, its to kill someone or something. Nothing more. Whether protection/hunting/whatever, you own it for the sole reason to do harm to someone. Painkillers are not meant to kill someone. Little bit of a difference between the two. Hell, in most states you don't even need a conceal and carry, you can open carry (Colorado and Texas are two off the top of my head) or can conceal and carry in Condition 1 in your vehicle as long as it is in a holster (South Carolina and Florida are two for that one).

As I said, it has always been the "look the other way" with painkillers with athletes, both pro and amateur with no one ever getting arrested for doing it. Where was the doctor who kept authorizing Favre his scripts back in the Green Bay days when he was an addict?? Contrary to popular belief, MD's are supposed to intervene if they see a pattern of medical abuse or they can lose their lisc. to practice. That is just one of the thousands of examples of known abuse and no accountability. The fact its someone who is no name to the United States population means easy pickings and a media case for the PD to set the "example" for Minnesota sports stars in our wonderful liberal state.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:07 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
When you own a weapon, its to kill someone or something. Nothing more. Whether protection/hunting/whatever, you own it for the sole reason to do harm to someone. Painkillers are not meant to kill someone. Little bit of a difference between the two. Hell, in most states you don't even need a conceal and carry, you can open carry (Colorado and Texas are two off the top of my head) or can conceal and carry in Condition 1 in your vehicle as long as it is in a holster (South Carolina and Florida are two for that one).

As I said, it has always been the "look the other way" with painkillers with athletes, both pro and amateur with no one ever getting arrested for doing it. Where was the doctor who kept authorizing Favre his scripts back in the Green Bay days when he was an addict?? Contrary to popular belief, MD's are supposed to intervene if they see a pattern of medical abuse or they can lose their lisc. to practice. That is just one of the thousands of examples of known abuse and no accountability. The fact its someone who is no name to the United States population means easy pickings and a media case for the PD to set the "example" for Minnesota sports stars in our wonderful liberal state.
Just because law enforcement has "looked the other way" in previous cases doesn't mean they should do that here. Rather, it means they shouldn't have looked the other way before. The last time I was pulled over for speeding I didn't get a ticket. The cop looked the other way for whatever reason. Does that mean I should freak out and complain if I get a ticket the next time I'm pulled over?

Old
07-23-2011, 10:20 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:

Not true in every case. I know of people who own rifles with zero intention of hunting/hurting someone. Some people simply like to shoot for target practice. Nothing more. It's similar to other people who love archery minus the hunting. I refuse to hunt, but wouldn't mind owning a bow for target practice. It's a fun outdoor activity. I would never own it with the intention of hurting anything.

Sure, you may think that even if a person owns a gun, for nothing more than target practice, they'd still use that gun to hurt someone if faced with a life/death situation. True. But then we could also say the same thing about the butcher knives in our kitchens.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:37 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:

Giving someone medication they are not prescribed for is like giving someone a gun that you don't know if it has ammo in it or not. You have absolutely no idea how one will react to that medication. Let alone taking other meds. Your guess is as good as mine what will happen each time someone mixes drugs that have not been prescribed. The outcome is almost never the same person to person, time to time. Thus you are giving someone a gun and asking them to play Russian roulette with themselves.
You would rather have them look the other way for the rest of time? At some point, someone needs to be shown example of. So it was Aaron Boogaard this time. Hopefully it raises awareness of mixing non-prescribed drugs.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:29 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Didn't we have another prospect that lost it due to a drug addiction as well?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:32 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Just because law enforcement has "looked the other way" in previous cases doesn't mean they should do that here. Rather, it means they shouldn't have looked the other way before. The last time I was pulled over for speeding I didn't get a ticket. The cop looked the other way for whatever reason. Does that mean I should freak out and complain if I get a ticket the next time I'm pulled over?
I know its illegal, but when the blindeye is always turned its a little hard to see why this case became so different. Is there a new DA? Are the cops bored? Is it because a fan favorite player was killed by it? I'm not denying he shouldn't be charged, but if this happens for Aaron and he is actually charged...then I better see this crap happen with the Vikings in 2 months if someone is popped for having scripts not written to them. THAT is what I am saying.

Old
07-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
I know its illegal, but when the blindeye is always turned its a little hard to see why this case became so different. Is there a new DA? Are the cops bored? Is it because a fan favorite player was killed by it? I'm not denying he shouldn't be charged, but if this happens for Aaron and he is actually charged...then I better see this crap happen with the Vikings in 2 months if someone is popped for having scripts not written to them. THAT is what I am saying.
You have to remember that he destroyed evidence, that is a significant crime whether you believe that he should be charged with distributing the drugs or not. The police cannot just turn a blind eye to it.

Now I hope that the police weren't just going after him because of the high profile nature of the case. If they arrested Aaron, they really should be going after the source of the drugs as well.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:29 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
You have to remember that he destroyed evidence, that is a significant crime whether you believe that he should be charged with distributing the drugs or not. The police cannot just turn a blind eye to it.

Now I hope that the police weren't just going after him because of the high profile nature of the case. If they arrested Aaron, they really should be going after the source of the drugs as well.
And he should be charged with that. But it is only a Gross and would not have the high level of attention it will receive now nationally. Hence why I'm a little concerned this was only done because the DA knows this could be national and put him in the spotlight for something high profile that begins to make waves and helps him for a bid of AG somewhere. Far fetched I know, but I have seen a lot worse happen.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If a crime was committed and they have the evidence, there's no reason they shouldn't prosecute. What Aaron allegedly did was extremely stupid and directly led to Derek's death. Providing drugs to someone literally coming home from rehab? Just beyond stupid.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Statement from Ryan Boogaard regarding younger brother Aaron Boogaard

Old
07-26-2011, 08:53 AM
BigT2002

Reading that statement, and if we take it as valid:

Quote:
Aaron has never sold prescribed and non prescribed painkillers, never bought prescribed and non prescribed painkillers and Aaron does not abuse prescribed and non prescribed painkillers. The prosecutions office did not disclose all the details surrounding the investigation but for me [to] go into more detail about this would go against my previous statement about not commenting to prove or disprove the allegations and Aaron gets his day in court so it can all come to fruition at that time.
In summary, there is more than what has been released to the media.
Aaron has never been arrested in the United States or Canada and, up until recent, Aaron has never been charged for any criminal offense.
As it is now widely known, Derek became addicted to pain killers after having shoulder surgery in 2009. This broke our family's hearts to watch as Derek battled the disease. After two failed attempts in rehab, this was a fight that Derek never got up from.
That alone makes me believe he saw his brother on the floor and instinctively wanted to protect his brother from a media circus and from their parents finding out the truth of how Derek died and tried to dispose of the evidence, if they can prove that Aaron even did that.

I still stand by my point. This is a dream come true for the DA for Hennepin County because it is not very often THEY get a big media case like this. When was the last time they had to prosecute someone at a felony level in relation to a sports star, or even some of the bigger name cases out there in general?

Old
07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Certainly puts it in a bigger light.

This is going to be a circus if it continues, and it really shouldn't. It would be nice if they can lower the charges and have a plea bargain and just get it done behind closed doors.

Old
07-26-2011, 10:00 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Ryan's statements strike me as a bit of a red herring. It didn't seem like Aaron was accused of buying or selling controlled substances. Merely possessing them without the proper requirements is a crime. What he has been accused of is dispensing them. It's claimed that he doled them out to Derek, holding on to the supply and providing them upon schedule or demand.

Old
07-27-2011, 09:02 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Ryan's statements strike me as a bit of a red herring. It didn't seem like Aaron was accused of buying or selling controlled substances. Merely possessing them without the proper requirements is a crime. What he has been accused of is dispensing them. It's claimed that he doled them out to Derek, holding on to the supply and providing them upon schedule or demand.
Can that be proved though? Remember "Its not what you know, but what you can prove"

Old
07-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Yup. From what I read, Aaron was not accused of selling or abusing prescription drugs, but possessing them and giving them to Derek. This whole statement seems like a deflection and a garner for public sympathy.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote