HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Chronic Problem: Keep bruising my hip bones

Old
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Guffaw

vCash: 500
Chronic Problem: Keep bruising my hip bones

This has been going on as long as I've been playing out(not goalie). I probably fall more than your average player. Likely a combination of playing hard at all times, physical, and perhaps not having the best balance despite being a decent skater.

I don't notice it when it happens, but the next day I can barely walk. The hip bone is extremely sore for a couple weeks etc. This has happened with my old Tacklas(mid 90's), Lousville TPS, and now Bauer ONE80's.

Does anyone else have this problem? I don't have the most cushion 6'2" ~175lbs. It's like the pant shifts upwards when I fall and there isn't any padding between my hip and the ice when I land.

Suggestions? A bulkier pro level pant? I really dont want to add weight or bulk, but I also have to work the day after hockey.

One thing I may try. I wear a Bauer jock made of compression material which obviously does not shift. I was thinking of sewing some foam padding over both hip bones. Might be my only solution.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

You sure you are bruising your hips? I have the same problem and for the longest time I thought I was bruising my hips. I went to the doctor about it and was told it was arthritis in my hips.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
jwitz04

I used to have that problem when I was little, but then I learned how to skate

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:53 AM
AIREAYE

That doesn't help ^

Perhaps your pants are not fitted properly? That could be a reason for the shifting or that you did not tighten/fasten them correctly?

Hockey pants are designed to not have padding when the hip flexes (should be lower than your hip bone) for obvious reasons. There will always be that gap there.

Another thing you could try (assuming you like the fit) is a more form fitting pant such as in the Vapors to eliminate more negative space. You could even take a look at some high-level girdles such as the Projekt or Easton Motion Elite and grab some shells (EME comes with its own) to match.

But then again, perhaps Backstrom #19 is right and it isn't an equipment issue.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
You sure you are bruising your hips? I have the same problem and for the longest time I thought I was bruising my hips. I went to the doctor about it and was told it was arthritis in my hips.
Yes. Falling on my right side then severe pain the following day on the outside of the hip bone like a bone bruise. If I don't go down hard there isn't any pain.

Old
07-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That doesn't help ^

Perhaps your pants are not fitted properly? That could be a reason for the shifting or that you did not tighten/fasten them correctly?

Hockey pants are designed to not have padding when the hip flexes (should be lower than your hip bone) for obvious reasons. There will always be that gap there.

Another thing you could try (assuming you like the fit) is a more form fitting pant such as in the Vapors to eliminate more negative space. You could even take a look at some high-level girdles such as the Projekt or Easton Motion Elite and grab some shells (EME comes with its own) to match.

But then again, perhaps Backstrom #19 is right and it isn't an equipment issue.
Thanks for the advice. I just dropped $$ on these one80's so another pant will have to wait. I may try sewing in some padding as a cheap fix.

Old
07-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitz04 View Post
Nice insult.

Old
07-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
It's nice that you learned how to skate, however, he is playing hockey as well.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Logie

I upgraded from Canada 3040's to CCM U+ Fit 07 because i was getting sore from either puck hits or checks.

Last week in an internal game, i got smashed into the boards by a big guy who knows how to hit and use his weight. Only problem i had was a slighty sore lower back from going up in the air and landing on my back.

He hip checked my left hip, and hit my right side into the boards. No trouble in that area!

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Thanks for the advice. I just dropped $$ on these one80's so another pant will have to wait. I may try sewing in some padding as a cheap fix.
unless you use some high density stuff, it probably won't do much to help Padding on pants, as you know consists of foams and plastic inserts (ocasionally EPP) and that is what prevents injury from impact.

If you do go through with that, post some pics and let us know how they feel

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I hate to suggest gear as you don't want to go that route, but either a pair of Tackla 9000's or a girdle would be best. You want something that won't move around too much or that has more protection.

The Tacklas are going to have more hip padding than your average pants for better coverage, even if they move. A girdle will fit tighter and won't shift around as much so your padding will be in the right spot.

Honestly I used a pair of Bauer pants for two years and wasn't impressed. They didn't have much protection. I've been using Tackla for over a year now and they are fantastic. Bulky, yes, but I literally haven't felt a thing wearing them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Steelhead16

A football girdle and remove the thigh pads. They are tight and won't move and light weight. To keep from adding equipt just sew velcro to it for your socks.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I hate to suggest gear as you don't want to go that route, but either a pair of Tackla 9000's or a girdle would be best. You want something that won't move around too much or that has more protection.

The Tacklas are going to have more hip padding than your average pants for better coverage, even if they move. A girdle will fit tighter and won't shift around as much so your padding will be in the right spot.

Honestly I used a pair of Bauer pants for two years and wasn't impressed. They didn't have much protection. I've been using Tackla for over a year now and they are fantastic. Bulky, yes, but I literally haven't felt a thing wearing them.
I have to agree with Jarick here. I had the exact same issue you are experiencing with an old pair of cheap Itechs where I would get dumped on my hip and I would feel it for weeks. After some research I went with the Tackla 9000s and I haven't had an issue since. Waaaay more padding than I had before.

Sorry I can't offer any other advice but this worked for me.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Devil Dancer

Add me to the list of people who used to have this problem and solved it by upgrading pants. I went with the CCMs.

Here's a thread I started about pants after I kept getting bruises.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
When you get the cash I would upgrade your pants. I've got a pair of Tackla 9000s that have been awesome. I've taken a couple of good spills and never had an issue with my hips.

While you're waiting on the new pants, maybe get a padded jock. Something like this:http://www.hockeymonkey.com/farrell-...th-velcro.html

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Guffaw

Wow. Thanks for all the great advice guys. I just shelled out the coin for the Bauers and they are really comfortable, BUT if it's gonna take another pant then I may have to go that route.

As for the foam, I have the foam inserts from some old Jofa shins. I was going to cut out two 5-6" diameter circles and literally sew them into my jock right over where I'm getting bruised. Not the greatest, but worth a shot and it's free.

Old
07-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
When you get the cash I would upgrade your pants. I've got a pair of Tackla 9000s that have been awesome. I've taken a couple of good spills and never had an issue with my hips.

While you're waiting on the new pants, maybe get a padded jock. Something like this:http://www.hockeymonkey.com/farrell-...th-velcro.html
The pads on the sides of that jock are EXACTLY where my problem is. Thanks for the link.

Old
07-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Any incite into Tackla 2440 vs. 9000's?

Sizing? I'm 6'2" 175lbs w a 32" waist. Thinking a 50 tall, but not sure if they run big or small.

Thanks.

Old
07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:

Sizing? I'm 6'2" 175lbs w a 32" waist. Thinking a 50 tall, but not sure if they run big or small.

Thanks.
The 9000s will offer quite a bit more protection. I'm 6'1" with a 34 in waist and I wear Tackla 9000s in size 52. The are a little bit big in the waist but just fine in the length. Unless you have extremely long legs you'll likely be fine with just a regular 50. The 9000s are great pants especially the padding on the hips.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tacklas run a little big. I'm not familiar with the 2440's but you won't regret the 9000's. I'm 5'8 185 with a 36" waist and I believe I'm in 52's. They tend to fit a little better when I'm closer to 170. They run a little big though so 50 would probably work fine for you. As for tall, if you like to wear your pants high on your waist and want more coverage, the talls would be a good option. They are a little longer pants than most.

If you're on a budget, the Reebok 7k's are EXCELLENT pants.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Jive Time

Quote:

Thanks.
They definitely run big.

I'm 5.11 - 175 lb - 33" waist and I bought the Air 9000 52s. In order to keep the pants high on my hips I have to crank the buckle and draws all the way in. If I were to do it again, I would drop down one size and get the 50s.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Subnordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post

Dude I love your avatar, Justin Beiber doesn't deserve her

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Subnordi

Quote:

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
TheRustyJet

I also recommend the Tackla 9000s.

They are bulky but you hardly feel a thing when falling/hit by puck or stick/whatever.

TheRustyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Guffaw

Thanks for all the help guys.

Seeing that I like the One80's and just bought them and the $$ isn't really there for another pair of pants right now I may try that padded jock for $30. If that doesn't work I'll be heading straight for the Tackla 9000's.

If I can get away with not adding weight or bulk to my pants then I would like to do it. I'm finally getting my legs back after 5 months of playing (16 yr layoff) and starting to really be able to pull away from guys so I don't wanna lose any speed or elusiveness. In no check leagues speed rules

If you're playing hard and battling in high traffic areas your gonna hit the ice period. If you don't then you aren't doing one or both of those two things.