HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Monkey

Old
07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
BLBarmada

vCash: 500
Hockey Monkey

Is it a good site to buy off of ?? Any one have any problems with it ??

Anyone ever buy the mystery stick thingy ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:05 PM
blueberrydanish

Pretty sure its the biggest online retailer with hockeygiant.com

Mystery sticks is what it says, just completely random curve/flex, could get lucky and get the one you want

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:12 PM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

Pretty much the most popular online retailer. 100% legit.

MooseMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Dishtank

Whats this mystery stick thing? I could use a backup is it worth it?

Dishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:36 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishtank View Post
Whats this mystery stick thing? I could use a backup is it worth it?
only if you get lucky enough to get one you like

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Guffaw

I'm an icewarehouse guy myself, but I'm sure hockeymonkey is good as well.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:25 AM
tsnTpoint

The mystery sticks are junk, just an assortment of sticks that are not selling.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:30 AM
dabeechman

Agree.

Icewarehouse.com is where it is at. Nicer people. More intelligent. They actually PLAY (I've played with them) and free shipping, and typically better pricing all around.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Agree.

Icewarehouse.com is where it is at. Nicer people. More intelligent. They actually PLAY (I've played with them) and free shipping, and typically better pricing all around.
I love that place. Great prices + 10% off code, everything's in stock, always ships the same day, free return shipping on skates, and great video review on almost every product they carry.

Got some good advice on the phone too from a couple guys that play vs. some 16 yr old girl that can't answer any of my questions.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:38 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Agree.

I'm on a team sponsored by Hockey Monkey, the guys that work for them play ice hockey pretty well actually.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:57 AM
beth

I've ordered from Hockey Monkey, Ice Warehouse, and Hockey Giant. My favorite for service is Ice Warehouse, but they don't have as much women's stuff as Hockey Monkey, which is kind of a bummer.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:19 AM
BLBarmada

So icewarrhouse is the way to go ?? I was curious about the mystery stick deal cause it seemed like a good deal and it's cheap and I need new sticks and I can't really afford high end stuff since I have to pay for my hockey now, out of curiosity anyone here ever play B hockey ??

Old
07-29-2011, 04:21 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Greatest site ever. My neighbor bought the 3 pack of mystery sticks and got a Warrior Dolomite, Easton Stealth, and a CCM for 100 bucks or something when they had it like half off. I even went to the store in New Jersey and I got my AK27 gloves, Warrior Dolomite, and Warrior bag there. Prices are pretty good and they have really good stuff there. I definitely recommend buying mostly anything you need for hockey at the website. Also, if you look up hockey monkey coupons on google there's normally codes for like free shipping, 20% off etc.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:49 AM
shoeshine boy

I've used both Ice Warehouse and Hockey Monkey. both are great but IW gives better service, imo. HM has grown too big. if you have to call for customer service it goes to a call center where the CSR seems to know very little about the actual equipment that they're dealing with. Hockey Giant has gotten to be the exact same way.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
The mystery sticks are junk, just an assortment of sticks that are not selling.
This - I bought it before and tell everyone not to make the same mistake as me.

They say something like original retail value of $300 guaranteed, keyword original because most composite sticks were ridiculously expensive when they first came out. I got some Warrior 75 Flex Kovalev curve which I actually liked but was still going on their site for $75. The other was some Reebok stick Niko Kapanen 100 flex. I seriously think I'm the only one in the world with a Niko Kapanen blade, never knew they even made one...That one was also going for $75~. If you want to try something new, you're better off buying them individually and at least get the flex you like or something. At least I did learn that I like a whippier stick.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:56 AM
AIREAYE

To the OP: You're in La belle province, forget online and go local

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:57 AM
kravjitsu

I just did the mystery stick deal and got my sticks two days ago and id say it was a good deal. I ended up getting a reebok 8k sickick crosby curve with an 85 flex and a easton s15 zetterberg curve 110 flex. If you dont have a prefence on any of that yet id say do it, its a good way to test out different sticks. Later that day i went to total hockey to get tape and i checked out what it would have cost me to buy them from there. I would have ended up spending $270 on both of them instead of $150. My only complaint is hockey monkey was slow a **** processing my order, it took them over a week.

kravjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:41 AM
McDugan

Well, on the plus side, they seem to have the largest selection, competitive pricing, lots of sales/promo codes, etc., an easy-to-use website, and they're definitely legit.

HOWEVER, I am reluctant to shop HM again after the experience I had last December. The Eagle X72 gloves went on the Daily Deal sale for $99. I'd been checking them out anyway, wanting to try some gloves with mesh gussets, so I told my wife they'd make a great Xmas present, esp. at the reduced price. Didn't care too much about color, just wanted something tame (black, navy) and mesh gussets, so I gave her two or three color numbers that I might like.

She places an order. They call her a few days later and say, we don't have them in the color you ordered, can we send you the gloves in black instead? She checks with me and then tells them, sure, as long as they are the same. Salesperson assures her that they are.

Fast-forward 3 weeks to Christmas day... I open the gloves and, whadda ya know, no mesh gussets. So, I was disappointed, my wife was embarrassed... I call Hockey Monkey to see about exchanging them. First they tell me the gloves are a clearance item and can't be returned for any reason. I say, you didn't send me what was ordered. They say, your wife approved the change. I say, she was told the gloves were the same and they aren't. The manager ends up on the phone with me and explains that what I received were also Eagle X72 gloves form the same model year so they are the same. I point out to her that what we ordered and what we received are listed separately under two different SKU numbers on the web site. If that's the case, how can they be considered the same item? She tells me that they are both the current X72 glove, so they must be the same.

It just so happened that the pair they sent us was the last pair of its kind and that item now showed as "out of stock" on the website. So, basically, they baited with the daily deal by offering the sale price on gloves that were not actually available and switched to get rid of dwindling stock.

They eventually agreed to a return but wanted to charge a restock fee AND charge the non-sale price for the replacement pair of gloves. I said no way. Ultimately, I did end up getting the gloves I ordered but it took several days of persistence and frustrating conversations with HM staff. I had to pay to ship them back and pay to ship the replacement pair to me.

Overall, it was such a negative experience that I almost came on here and ranted about it, and that's something I've never in my life bothered doing (until now I guess). I have passed on several tempting good deals from HM since then simply because I just don't want to support them and take the risk of another fiasco.

Last edited by McDugan: 07-29-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: syntax
McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Devil Dancer

I have two problems with HM:

1. I hate the way the site is laid out. You have to browse by brand within a category. Just show me everything in a category the way Hockey Giant does it.

2. Their shipping prices are pretty outrageous.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would personally go with Ice Warehouse as I feel they do the best job presenting their products with reviews, and the prices are pretty good.

But I have ordered things from Hockey Monkey twice.

The first time, the UPS guy delivered the stuff to the wrong house, and it disappeared. Or he stole it. I have no idea, but HM refunded my money and dealt with the insurance claims on their end, which is great. Granted it took a couple weeks for resolution, but I got my money back.

The second time, the stuff got delivered on time just fine. Bought a clearance Mission bag for $20 and it's worth IMO 3-4 times that.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
OpenIceHit42

Hockeymonkey trumps Hockeygiant. I used to be a huge fan of hockey giant but their selection has tailed off big time.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:26 PM
BLBarmada

I browsed IW and HM and I like IW prices way better.

Old
07-29-2011, 05:43 PM
GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
Is it a good site to buy off of ?? Any one have any problems with it ??

Anyone ever buy the mystery stick thingy ?
what about PRO HOCKEY LIFE... they're Canadian too

http://www.prohockeylife.com/

GLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:49 PM
BLBarmada

Thanks alot everybody, and to the op I'll check that site out.

Old
07-29-2011, 06:31 PM
mhkehoe

Another vote for IW (Icewarehouse/InlineWarehouse). They are the best with customer service, fantastic pricing (buy a t-shirt for 10% all orders), free shipping on orders over $100, free return shipping on skates, and they have a pretty good selection (not quite as big as HM).

I do occasionally order from HockeyMonkey, but this is only if IW doesn't have the item and can't get it any time soon.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote