HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Brown-Conroy-Demitra A Stopper Line???

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Game Misconduct

vCash: 500
Brown-Conroy-Demitra A Stopper Line???

Have you guys read Dustin Brown's third journal entry at www.lakings.com? He says that he has a new challenge this year playing on the team's "stopper" line with Conroy and Demitra! Very interesting, don't you think? Apparently they will match up against the other team's top line, obviously trying to score some goals in the process.

So what do you guys think about this move by Andy Murray?

Old
09-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I don't think AM is going to rely on them to provide the defense our stopper lines have in the past.

Conroy is a great 2 way center and I wonder if AM is hoping he rubs off on Brown like Smoke did on Fro

Old
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Peter James Bond

Its almost like the Kings have put together 3 lines that can score:

Frolov - Roenick - Cammalleri
Brown - Conroy - Demitra
Robitaille - Armstrong - Bure
Cowan - Avery - Kostopoulos

and the 4th line is a banger line.

Now with these lines, which one should play against the other teams top line?

I would play the Conroy line. The 4th line shouldn't go against the other teams top line, as they would end up getting 20 minutes icetime. The 4th line will only get about 10 minutes. The Conroy line is probably the best defensive line...although I don't see Demitra being that effective in that role. Most top lines in the league don't typically face a line that has scoring the scoring ability of a line as Conroy's and this may get them off their game a bit, having to worry about defense.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
KINGLEWOOD

Well what better way to stop an opposing line from scoring then to put an offensive line out there yourself. These guys can skate, hit and score so other lines will have their hands full. I don't think I'd want Luc, Army, and Bure to be a stopper line. Avery, Belanger and (?) would be pretty good too but you can't let them do all the dirty work either.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Osprey

Yeah, I read that last night. It certainly throws the performance of that line into perspective. If they're expected to shut down the other teams' top lines, then that could explain why they haven't gotten their offense clicking yet. I hope that they get it working and that they become effective at both roles.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
That would be a bit of a waste of Demitra IMO. I understand that there is value in having someone that can score playing a stopper role but Demitra is a first line forward and should be spending more time on that, not stopping the top line of the opposing team.

Old
09-20-2005, 03:03 PM
bpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
That would be a bit of a waste of Demitra IMO. I understand that there is value in having someone that can score playing a stopper role but Demitra is a first line forward and should be spending more time on that, not stopping the top line of the opposing team.
Couldn't agree more... I wonder how Demitra is taking the demotion. He may not give 100% if he's not happy with his new role. Wasting first line talent in a checking role makes the baby jesus cry

Old
09-20-2005, 03:39 PM
KingsFan7824

Well Conroy is their best defensive center. I think that's the only thing that would make them a stopper line.

You've got a hopefully Deadmarsh type winger, a Selke type center(who can put up some points with the right linemates), and the most skilled forward on the team playing on the same line, so they can do damage all over the ice(in theory).

Doesn't much matter to me what they call the lines. Where else would you put Demitra? Everyone gets basically the same amount of playing time at even strength. The shifts are 30, 40 seconds or whatever they are. The guys that play 20 minutes a night are the ones that get the special teams duty. Demitra will be out on every power play, possibly double shifting here and there. I'm sure he'll get a few shifts on the PK. He'll get his points(at even strength too), don't worry.

Old
09-20-2005, 04:24 PM
PRMan

Demitra is a very good defensive player (certainly better than Palffy, and he wasn't bad), as is Conroy. I just hope they don't look at it like that. When they announced the starting lineups the other night, I thought it was a very good move to put them out there like that.

The fact of the matter is, most teams' number one lines are NOT very good defensively, so if Demitra or Brown get loose, look for Conroy to hit them with the long pass. If this line takes their role seriously, they are going to frustrate opposing offenses to no end.

Old
09-20-2005, 04:33 PM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan
Demitra is a very good defensive player (certainly better than Palffy, and he wasn't bad), as is Conroy. I just hope they don't look at it like that. When they announced the starting lineups the other night, I thought it was a very good move to put them out there like that.

The fact of the matter is, most teams' number one lines are NOT very good defensively, so if Demitra or Brown get loose, look for Conroy to hit them with the long pass. If this line takes their role seriously, they are going to frustrate opposing offenses to no end.

good point, the opposing offense will be powerless mwaaaaaahahahaha

Old
09-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Did you guys see how Demitra and Conroy played together on the penalty kill (and their shorthanded goal)? They won't be your typical "stopper" unit that will only be out there to shadow the oppositions top line. They are going to pressure the opposing team with an aggressive backcheck and do the same in the other end with an aggressive forecheck.

Conroy and Brown like to lay the body and Conroy is a superb playmaker and can skate pretty fast. Brown will do a lot of digging for loose pucks and fighting for position and Demitra will be the sniper (and can act as the playmaker) on that unit.

I think all three provide something on the ice the other player lacks and they will be a great combination together.

Old
09-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpower
Couldn't agree more... I wonder how Demitra is taking the demotion. He may not give 100% if he's not happy with his new role. Wasting first line talent in a checking role makes the baby jesus cry
Demotion???
What the hell are you talking about? This is not a demotion, it's not that Demitra will play with the likes of John Tripp and Steve Kelly. He'll play with one of the top prospect in the game (who has a shot at the US Olympic roster) and one of best NHL 2 way forward.

Napoleon was used to say "The best defense is to attack". This line can do it.

Old
09-20-2005, 05:44 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Napoleon was used to say "The best defense is to attack". This line can do it.
Wow there's a blast from the past...good ol Napoleon "Bunny" Dame. I haven't heard that name for ever...

Link to Bunny's stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=14658

Old
09-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Wow there's a blast from the past...good ol Napoleon "Bunny" Dame. I haven't heard that name for ever...

Link to Bunny's stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=14658

Old
09-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Sounds like a fun line to watch.

Old
09-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I was surprised to read that last night but then it did make a lot of sense to me. This line can play defense and put up big numbers. This might actually help Demitra because his job is to stop the top line from scoring but you have to realize that means the oppostions top line also has to stop him from scoring. I like the line combo's by AM so far.

Old
09-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Michigan Wolverine

Sounds like Conroy and Demitra have some offensive chemistry, and all 3 are responsible defensively. If you're going to employ a line to shadow the opponent's top line, that line will be a handicap unless it can put up some points because the opponent's top line will log huge minutes. Good to have some offense on the ice during those shifts.

Old
09-21-2005, 08:58 AM
PACaptain

Surprised that an offensive talent like Pavol Demitra is on the "Stopper Line", what's next the Selke? He is responsible defensively but offense is his game. I saw the report from the preseason game with the Coyotes and it looks like Conroy and Demitra have pretty good chemistry up front. I don't think they ever played together in St. Louis when they were both there. It also sounds like Brown struggled a bit, any chance they get a new linemate?

Old
09-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Albi

ehm...our stopper line kicked some major arses last night...

Old
09-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
From now on I think we should call them our "stopper line"

Last night our "stopper line" had 3 goals

Old
09-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
From now on I think we should call them our "stopper line"

Last night our "stopper line" had 3 goals
3 goals + 5 assist
Our "stopper line" rocks

Old
09-21-2005, 11:58 AM
PRMan

I think they figured out what I was saying. Phoenix's top line couldn't stop them.

Old
09-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan
Exactly. Took the words right out of my mouth...

Old
09-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

greaaatttt, I have Demitra on my fantasy team.

Old
09-25-2005, 12:26 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs
greaaatttt, I have Demitra on my fantasy team.
It's not going to hurt him. Second line doesn't necessarily mean less production (see Ottawa, Atlanta, Detroit etc) and Conroy can set up guys with the best of them...just ask Iginla.

Closed Thread