HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather appreciation thread

Old
07-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Glen, you turned Gomez into Gaborik Higgins and McDonagh.

Good job.
Agreed.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

agreed

07-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Vitto79

Can't really argue with that, good job

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Sticky Fingers

All RFA-signings done at fair value. We got the UFA we wanted, BR, at a fair price, added some toughness in Rupp. Adding up, well done Glen!!!

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:29 AM
GAGLine

Means nothing until we see the results on the ice. The results are all that matter. That's what they get paid for.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
chip chipperson*

now all we need is sather to retire

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
now all we need is sather to retire
What I don't want is a complete changing of the guards, so that the new GM comes in and right away shakes up the whole organization.

I'd rather take the new and improved Sather and see if this core can seriously contend in the next few years.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
They need to win at least two playoff series in order to get some appreciation from me. The rosters moves were made to win. If they don't do that, it's not a good job.

07-28-2011, 12:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Sather hasn't changed, he still listens to the people around him and goes on their advisement like any other manager. He's only doing better now because the people around him have changed and are better. We should be congratulating the Director of Player Personnel and Assistant GMs. Previously they were terrible, now they're solid and know what they're doing.

I say congrats to Jeff Gorton, Gordie Clark, Jim Shoenfeld and to a small extend John Tortorella and good riddance to Don Maloney, Tom Renney, their deplorable scouting, drafting, and advisement on player acquisitions.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They need to win at least two playoff series in order to get some appreciation from me. The rosters moves were made to win. If they don't do that, it's not a good job.

Amen to this.

On paper he's doing a much better job than in the past but we haven't seen a damn thing yet.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Sather hasn't changed, he still listens to the people around him and goes on their advisement like any other manager. He's only doing better now because the people around him have changed and are better. We should be congratulating the Director of Player Personnel and Assistant GMs. Previously they were terrible, now they're solid and know what they're doing.

I say congrats to Jeff Gorton, Gordie Clark, Jim Shoenfeld and to a small extend John Tortorella and good riddance to Don Maloney, Tom Renney, their deplorable scouting, drafting, and advisement on player acquisitions.
well done.

Old
07-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

yep, totally agree.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So true. The time to prove yourself is in April and May, not in July. Win two playoff series for a change and I'll start to believe.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 07-28-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

As always, the counter-argument to that is that Sather hires these guys.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:39 PM
free0717

Jim Boomer Gordon gave Sather a B minus in his GM report cards today. And Boomer is a very hard grader. He gave Uncle Lou an F

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Esa 10

Sather has been over 10 years on the job. Until they go deep in the play-offs and become a legit contender, there is not much to appreciate. Time to deliver.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:45 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
As always, the counter-argument to that is that Sather hires these guys.
dolan hired sather. is he a good owner?

Old
07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Sather has been over 10 years on the job. Until they go deep in the play-offs and become a legit contender, there is not much to appreciate. Time to deliver.
agreed. He made some good moves and let Gordie Clark run the draft, but its been over a decade of ******** with this guy and now he has made some nice moves as of late.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Brad Richards thinks so.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Actually, Dolan is a great hockey owner. He hires a guy to do a job and then he stands back and allows them to do it while providing whatever resources are required. Let's also remember that Sather & co did convince Dolan to allow them to blow up the team and go in a new direction in 2004, which shows that Dolan listens to the guy he hired as well. I disagree with a lot of what Cablevision does and I get the sense that Dolan might be terrible for the basketball team. Also, you can partially point the finger at him for the continually rising ticket prices. However, strictly from the standpoint of the relationship with his President/GM, Dolans only fault as a hockey owner is that he himself isn't enough of a hockey guy to recognize what a GM is doing wrong and what to look for in a new candidate. He just isn't enough of a hockey guy for those of us who are passionate about the hockey team he owns.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Brad Richards thinks so.
no he doesnt

Old
07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Actually, Dolan is a great hockey owner. He hires a guy to do a job and then he stands back and allows them to do it while providing whatever resources are required. Let's also remember that Sather & co did convince Dolan to allow them to blow up the team and go in a new direction in 2004, which shows that Dolan listens to the guy he hired as well. I disagree with a lot of what Cablevision does and I get the sense that Dolan might be terrible for the basketball team. Also, you can partially point the finger at him for the continually rising ticket prices. However, strictly from the standpoint of the relationship with his President/GM, Dolans only fault as a hockey owner is that he himself isn't enough of a hockey guy to recognize what a GM is doing wrong and what to look for in a new candidate. He just isn't enough of a hockey guy for those of us who are passionate about the hockey team he owns.
dolan is not a good owner.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
no he doesnt
Ugh, yes he actually does. Why he choose the Rangers in his own words:
Quote:
To play on an Original Six team, I havenít been able to do that. Stable ownership, thatís kind of bitten me a couple of time. Original Six, as a hockey player, theyíre special to play for. To see an owner do what it takes to do to win. To see how Torts operates. I know it works. It reminds me of what he did in Tampa. At the end of the day, itís the right fit for me.
Richards thinks Dolan is a good owner. You disagree with Richards, sorry if you wish the facts were otherwise.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 03:59 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Acquiring another big name, past his prime, star and placing him on a team lacking any kind of depth was a new direction? If the team had really gone in a new direction in 2004, maybe we wouldn't be waiting for the 2011-2012 season for the possibility of seeing a legitimately good hockey team.

I'm not sure what Dolan knows less about, hockey or basketball, but if he was a good owner for the New York Rangers, Glen Sather would never have been hired in the first place, much less continued to employ him through a job performance that ranks him among the worst front office executives in modern major professional team sports history.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Acquiring another big name, past his prime, star and placing him on a team lacking any kind of depth was a new direction? If the team had really gone in a new direction in 2004, maybe we wouldn't be waiting for the 2011-2012 season for the possibility of seeing a legitimately good hockey team.

I'm not sure what Dolan knows less about, hockey or basketball, but if he was a good owner for the New York Rangers, Glen Sather would never have been hired in the first place, much less continued to employ him through a job performance that ranks him among the worst front office executives in modern major professional team sports history.
In fairness, his post probably refers solely to the trade deadline firesale, rather than the rest of 2004 season. Jagr was acquired at an earlier stage, when play-offs were still, albeit remote, a possibility. Once they changed course, Jagr was immoveable due to the remaining years on his contract and the uncertainty of the new CBA.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote