HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles' Football (NFL discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2011, 09:15 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NodlFTW View Post
KR yes, PR is Jackson, right?
Devine can return kicks and I think Lewis did too at Pitt, not sure though.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Jaydepps

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I would love to have Vince Young as a backup. Much better choice than Favre.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:51 PM
phillyfanatic

Whats up Eagles fan. I'm a HUGE Flyer fan, but I DO NOT have a favorite NFL football team. I never watched the NFL when I was young and recently I played fantasy football and cheered for players. Well, this year I am picking a favorite football team. I haven't picked a team in 20 years, but thats it, I don't have an NFL team.....I'm picking one this year.

I am down to:
Eagles and Packers, but others are still possible. Eagles are leading the charge because I love Philly, but I am not a big Vick fan, not a big Reid fan......something about them. Packers I have always had a soft spot for, something about the small town thing....

Why should I cheer for the Eagles?

Old
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Because DeSean Jackson is awesome to watch.

Old
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Because Pack fans are *******. Plus you don't want to be a bandwagon ****, do you?

Old
07-28-2011, 10:36 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Report: Vince Young expected to sign with Eagles

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/28/11/Re...=8340756392022

Great QB to backup Vick.........

Old
07-28-2011, 10:51 PM
GoldBlooded
Doop

No Sproles, he signed with NO.

Old
07-28-2011, 10:55 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Whats up Eagles fan. I'm a HUGE Flyer fan, but I DO NOT have a favorite NFL football team. I never watched the NFL when I was young and recently I played fantasy football and cheered for players. Well, this year I am picking a favorite football team. I haven't picked a team in 20 years, but thats it, I don't have an NFL team.....I'm picking one this year.

I am down to:
Eagles and Packers, but others are still possible. Eagles are leading the charge because I love Philly, but I am not a big Vick fan, not a big Reid fan......something about them. Packers I have always had a soft spot for, something about the small town thing....

Eagles PROS: Very exciting team, almost always contending (as of late), great (but rabid) fanbase.

Eagles CONS: Andy Reid, Jeffrey Lurie, Joe Banner, the negative attention given to Eagles fans (although you should be used to that as a Flyers fan )

Old
07-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:

I am down to:

I've been a Packer fan as long as I can remember, and I grew up in the Philly metro area. Although I can't pin point what made me root for them specifically, I think it was a combination of growing up around Cowboy, Giants, and Eagles fans that made all those teams unbearable to root for ( sorry folks ), plus when I was around 10 Brett Favre was on top of the world and was one of the more likable sports figures of his day — at the time. There's no more historic team in the NFL, the leagues trophy is named after a legendary Packers coach. The team is the only publicly owned professional sports team in the US. In a time of corporate stamping on everything, the Stadium is named after a historic icon in Packers history Curly Lambeau, and the entire atmosphere surrounding the team and its location is entirely unique in professional sports, it's literally the NFL version of a college town and stadium, ( one giant bowl with bench seating ) these multi-teared "stadiums" are horrendous looking and segregate "fans" by social status... you wanna sit in a club box in Green Bay, you sit farthest and highest from the field.

Outside of Canton Ohio, its the Mecca of pro football. Plus you can always jeer Pittsburgh fans for having more titles than them .

One thing I find more abundant with the NFL is that people tend to be less loyal to their native regions when rooting for a team.

Old
07-29-2011, 12:23 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Report: Young agrees to one-year deal

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ef=twitter.com

Old
07-29-2011, 12:34 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Report: Eagles Sign QB Young

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...2-466a05377893

Old
07-29-2011, 12:39 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

So as of now we picked up, Babin and if he passes trough waivers...Young?

Weaver is cut, everyone else was not brought back....uhhhhhhh wow, I have no idea what to think

Old
07-29-2011, 12:47 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Second chance: Ex-Titans QB Young, Eagles agree to deal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-agree-to-deal

Alot of negative thoughts on twittier people need to understand he agreed to one yr deal will sign tomorrow. Dont know how waivers in the nfl work but people are saying eagles cant talk to him till he clears.

Old
07-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Eagles PROS: Very exciting team, almost always contending (as of late), great (but rabid) fanbase.

Eagles CONS: Andy Reid, Jeffrey Lurie, Joe Banner, the negative attention given to Eagles fans (although you should be used to that as a Flyers fan )
I'm sorry, but what's been wrong with Jeffrey Lurie? I mean it was so horrible how he revived this team from the dead after Norman Braman did his best to kill it. And they've only had arguably the most successful run in Eagles' history under his guidance (no title, but a longer period of sustained success than they've ever had). So what exactly is wrong with him?

Andy...I'm not sure. He's the best coach in Eagles' history, without question. Does he do a lot of stupid things? Yes. I'd argue there are ZERO coaches in the NFL who do not do stupid things. Even the great Belicheck has gotten crucified up here at times for being stupid. I get incredibly frustrated with Andy, but I also appreciate how good he is considering how bad it's gotten (Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes say hi!). I will say this year is a make or break year for him, I think. His hiring Juan Castillo for DC will decide how much longer his tenure is, I think.

Joe Banner is a heel. That's his job. He's not supposed to be cuddly and lovable. He's the business guy, who's job is to make sure that the numbers add up and that they don't overspend. Of course fans will hate him. I can only say that thanks to him the Eagles are a franchise that has flourished financially, and that's allowed them to continually be competitive.

I guess I just don't get the hate for all these guys. Maybe it's perspective, or just me mellowing as I get older.

Old
07-29-2011, 07:26 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I'm sorry, but what's been wrong with Jeffrey Lurie? I mean it was so horrible how he revived this team from the dead after Norman Braman did his best to kill it. And they've only had arguably the most successful run in Eagles' history under his guidance (no title, but a longer period of sustained success than they've ever had). So what exactly is wrong with him?

Andy...I'm not sure. He's the best coach in Eagles' history, without question. Does he do a lot of stupid things? Yes. I'd argue there are ZERO coaches in the NFL who do not do stupid things. Even the great Belicheck has gotten crucified up here at times for being stupid. I get incredibly frustrated with Andy, but I also appreciate how good he is considering how bad it's gotten (Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes say hi!). I will say this year is a make or break year for him, I think. His hiring Juan Castillo for DC will decide how much longer his tenure is, I think.

Joe Banner is a heel. That's his job. He's not supposed to be cuddly and lovable. He's the business guy, who's job is to make sure that the numbers add up and that they don't overspend. Of course fans will hate him. I can only say that thanks to him the Eagles are a franchise that has flourished financially, and that's allowed them to continually be competitive.

I guess I just don't get the hate for all these guys. Maybe it's perspective, or just me mellowing as I get older.
Well said. My respect for Reid has grown tenfold after he finally got the balls to get rid of McNabb.

Old
07-29-2011, 07:43 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
So as of now we picked up, Babin and if he passes trough waivers...Young?

Weaver is cut, everyone else was not brought back....uhhhhhhh wow, I have no idea what to think
Still pretty thin up the middle of the defense. Bunkley-Patterson has been a disappointing duo and as of now the Eagles are putting a lot of faith in some very young safeties and Chaney as the MLB. I'd also feel much better if we had another right tackle and could let Justice float to wherever the injuries are.

Old
07-29-2011, 07:48 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
I've been a Packer fan as long as I can remember, and I grew up in the Philly metro area. Although I can't pin point what made me root for them specifically, I think it was a combination of growing up around Cowboy, Giants, and Eagles fans that made all those teams unbearable to root for ( sorry folks ), plus when I was around 10 Brett Favre was on top of the world and was one of the more likable sports figures of his day — at the time. There's no more historic team in the NFL, the leagues trophy is named after a legendary Packers coach. The team is the only publicly owned professional sports team in the US. In a time of corporate stamping on everything, the Stadium is named after a historic icon in Packers history Curly Lambeau, and the entire atmosphere surrounding the team and its location is entirely unique in professional sports, it's literally the NFL version of a college town and stadium, ( one giant bowl with bench seating ) these multi-teared "stadiums" are horrendous looking and segregate "fans" by social status... you wanna sit in a club box in Green Bay, you sit farthest and highest from the field.

Outside of Canton Ohio, its the Mecca of pro football. Plus you can always jeer Pittsburgh fans for having more titles than them .

One thing I find more abundant with the NFL is that people tend to be less loyal to their native regions when rooting for a team.
I am leaning towards the Packers for all the reasons you mentioned. Also, LOVE Aaron Rodgers and the O, love Clay Matthews and the D, love the coach, love the fact the team is owned by the fans (how cool is that), it is rated #1 for tailgating in the NFL, out of towners are welcome to park on the lawns of the locals if they can't find a parking spot, or park on side streets and walk to the stadium (how cool is that).

The only holdup I have is my love for Philly. I don't like Vick, not a fan of Reid, I like McCoy and Jackson, but......really, the ONLY reason I am thinking Eagles is how much I love Philly. Love the fans, love the attitude of the town and think it would be an awesome trip to go for a weekend and catch a Flyers game and an Eagles game (as a fan of both).

Still on the fence. Tough decision. The past ten years I have been a Favre, Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning fan.....so, we shall see. I wonder if one can become a legit fan of a team later in life. I was born a Flyer fan, this will be new.

Old
07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I am leaning towards the Packers for all the reasons you mentioned. Also, LOVE Aaron Rodgers and the O, love Clay Matthews and the D, love the coach, love the fact the team is owned by the fans (how cool is that), it is rated #1 for tailgating in the NFL, out of towners are welcome to park on the lawns of the locals if they can't find a parking spot, or park on side streets and walk to the stadium (how cool is that).

The only holdup I have is my love for Philly. I don't like Vick, not a fan of Reid, I like McCoy and Jackson, but......really, the ONLY reason I am thinking Eagles is how much I love Philly. Love the fans, love the attitude of the town and think it would be an awesome trip to go for a weekend and catch a Flyers game and an Eagles game (as a fan of both).

Still on the fence. Tough decision. The past ten years I have been a Favre, Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning fan.....so, we shall see. I wonder if one can become a legit fan of a team later in life. I was born a Flyer fan, this will be new.
I don't think you really can "decide" who you root for.

Just watch a few Packers games and a few Eagles games. After a while you'll just know which team is yours.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:08 AM
DumpyD

Quote:

Like another poster said, if you went cheesehead you would just look like a bandwagoner. At least philly will always be the underdog since we never win.

If I were an outsider, I could never root for vick over rodgers. Players change however.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:09 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
I don't think you really can "decide" who you root for.

Just watch a few Packers games and a few Eagles games. After a while you'll just know which team is yours.
Good point. However, I have been watching football for years without a real "rooting" interest, I have cheered for Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, LT, Barry Sanders, Kurt Warner/Faulk, etc, etc. The problem is, I am used to being a die hard Flyers fan, it is about the crest in the front not the names in the back. So, should I be a Colts fan because I like Peyton Manning? I am questioning, not preaching.

So, my approach is to research the teams (philosophy, history, building, city, atmosphere, future, current players, etc). Plus, if I pick a team, it would be nice to follow them from training camp, pay attention to free agent signings, know all the players. IE. my brothers a huge Flyers fan. His next door neighboor is a Flyers fan. He came over to watch a game a couple of times and asked questions like "whose in net"? We answer, Boucher. He says, "I didn't know he was playing for the Flyers again". Fair enough, understandable, except of course this was a playoff game and Boucher had been on the Flyers for a couple of years and starting most of the current year, so clearly.....he is not a fan. So, if I'm going to pick a team, and claim to be a fan, I want to dive in and know who the O-line is, who plays RCB and Safety, not just the QB and RB + big names.

Kind of enjoying the process.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Like another poster said, if you went cheesehead you would just look like a bandwagoner. At least philly will always be the underdog since we never win.

If I were an outsider, I could never root for vick over rodgers. Players change however.
I REALLY dislike Vick. However, I also REALLY dislike Jagr. So....

Old
07-29-2011, 09:19 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
I REALLY dislike Vick. However, I also REALLY dislike Jagr. So....
Sounds like you and I are on the same page then.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:34 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
stay classy eagles management... they didn't even have the balls to tell Weaver he was cut. after all he did for the community and the team..

Weaver's tweet:

“Hey there eagles nation, I’m sorry to say but I just found out I was released by the Eagles.” Weaver said via Twitter. “The kicker behind that is that the organization didn’t call me and tell me. I had to find out by a reporter. Now I have mixed feeling about that because I gave everything I had to the organization, and I would think that they would at least call…. And Let me know what was going on, but as I have learned over the years fans, business is business. However I wish the best for the Philadelphia Eagles. I will miss the fans and friends that I have developed over the years. Eagle nations and all of Philly, thank you for your love and support and the prayers. You all have been a blessing to me and my family. Thank you all once again, and I’ll see you all when I comeback!!!!! And oh believe and trust….I’ll be back!”

Old
07-29-2011, 09:36 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
stay classy eagles management... they didn't even have the balls to tell Weaver he was cut. after all he did for the community and the team..

Weaver's tweet:

“Hey there eagles nation, I’m sorry to say but I just found out I was released by the Eagles.” Weaver said via Twitter. “The kicker behind that is that the organization didn’t call me and tell me. I had to find out by a reporter. Now I have mixed feeling about that because I gave everything I had to the organization, and I would think that they would at least call…. And Let me know what was going on, but as I have learned over the years fans, business is business. However I wish the best for the Philadelphia Eagles. I will miss the fans and friends that I have developed over the years. Eagle nations and all of Philly, thank you for your love and support and the prayers. You all have been a blessing to me and my family. Thank you all once again, and I’ll see you all when I comeback!!!!! And oh believe and trust….I’ll be back!”
Eagles = Classy

This organization can do some real stupid things. Often.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:50 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:

I am down to:

Because you're a sadist?

Closed Thread