HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More to come?

Old
07-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Think he means people started jumping to conclusions about the teams involved.
lol wow, I literally just got the reference . That's probably sad. I would have made the same jump had I thought of it earlier.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:11 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Botta:

Is he hinting at the fact that either the Jets or Sharks nixed a deal with the Islanders?
Thats Valasic or Bogosian.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Think he means people started jumping to conclusions about the teams involved.
I don't know why he bothers.... people immediately jumped to conclusions from the clarification! Screw reading comprehension, the Isles are getting Vlasic!?!!

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Going to bed. hope to wake up to something good.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:25 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 50
I hate to be a downer but I can't really see a big player being traded here. Although with the vote coming up, it does make sense to get a deal done now. Also, Garth did say that he would get a top 4 guy. I guess we'll see soon.

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:29 PM
MarinerIslanderSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
For what its worth, we were also told that were going to like this one.

That quote from Botta is driving me nuts. Enough with the foreplay, I'm ready for insertion!

MarinerIslanderSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Going to bed. hope to wake up to something good.
Between this and the jets-nnamdi sweepstakes I've been checking my phone literally 6 times a minute.. I'm passing out too tho too much anticipation.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:44 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Between this and the jets-nnamdi sweepstakes I've been checking my phone literally 6 times a minute.. I'm passing out too tho too much anticipation.
Keep in mind the Niners & Raiders (kinda shocked there) just freed up cash today....Hes a west coast kid (Cal grad,has alot of charity work out there)

I think hes using the Jets to drive up the salary....

I bet the Niners offer him 15mil per....

Now back to topic ....

If this is the "big"signing we make...i swear ill be just watching the Sound Tigers this year.

Tradewise...your guess is as good as mine as to "who" we'd get...

Issue is how much it might cost...

07-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Bauer Warrior*

I have no idea who we could be getting in a trade. But I can use deduction and logic to determine who we're not getting and who we're not giving up.

If we're going to "like" this trade, we know who's not going:

- John Tavares
- Kyle Okposo
- Michael Grabner
- Travis Hamonic
- Mark Streit
- Nino
- Strome
- Poulin

As for Calvin de Haan, I think the Islander brass holds him in fairly high regard. I don't really hold Botta's opinion of the guy in high esteem, because he sort of didn't like him from the get-go. He got bent out of shape because of what we traded to draft his rights. Botta wanted John Moore, and I think he's kind of pissed about being wrong and not getting his guy. As things would turn out, over the past 2 years, de Haan has made a deeper Canada team, when John Moore couldn't crack the USA line up in either year. I could only think that the Islanders got turned on to de Haan when they were scouting Tavares. And frankly, I tought he looked real good in his two camps with us. I'd be surprised if he were part of a trade.

Who I don't think we'd trade for:

Since committing to this rebuild, Garth has sought after a certain type of player. He's gone for players who have good ability and can deal with adversity and pressure. So that tells me that Mike Komisarek, in particular, is not a guy who's coming our way. If he's feeling the need to prove himself in Toronto, I can only believe that the pressure would be magnified on Long Island.

So it's those types of players who I would think that we aren't getting. Drew Doughty fits the mold perfectly, but that's such a pipe dream that it's hardly worth talking about.

One other though is that nothing happens at all. That's the downside about leaks and rumors. Best thing to do is expect nothing.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:49 AM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
Now back to topic ....

If this is the "big"signing we make...i swear ill be just watching the Sound Tigers this year.
Am I missing something here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
I hate to be a downer but I can't really see a big player being traded here. Although with the vote coming up, it does make sense to get a deal done now. Also, Garth did say that he would get a top 4 guy. I guess we'll see soon.
Yeah but that I would bet will be a top 4 guy on THIS roster, NOT neccessarily the league

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:55 AM
seafoam
Players, please

vCash: 395
Well, nothing so far...I guess I'll have to update my phone every five mins for a least one more day.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 06:50 AM
IslandersFan17

The hardest part about this potential "big move," is who are the Islanders giving up. I mean the Kings traded away the top prospect in the world (in most peoples opinion) to get Mike Richards.

I like Richards, the guy brings to the table so much more beyond the stat sheet. However, color me crazy I wouldn't want to give up Nino and Comeau to obtain the guy (Comeau would be the Simmonds part of the deal).

I guess it could be because
1) I love our prospects.

2) If you do not learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it.

2A) I dont know about you folks I am tired of seeing former Islanders flourish everywhere else. I mean it was real fun watching Luongo and Chara duke it out for the cup

3) We have endured losing season after losing season. Invested a lot into the draft and the players we could obtain in the draft. From the Draft Day Party to the Prospect Games, we have an unheralded devotion to the future here.

3A) That same devotion that would want the Islanders to be the one doing the fleecing. We are tired of being bent over a barrel to make trades. If we move any of these young guys the return better be the sky.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
The hardest part about this potential "big move," is who are the Islanders giving up. I mean the Kings traded away the top prospect in the world (in most peoples opinion) to get Mike Richards.

I like Richards, the guy brings to the table so much more beyond the stat sheet. However, color me crazy I wouldn't want to give up Nino and Comeau to obtain the guy (Comeau would be the Simmonds part of the deal).

I guess it could be because
1) I love our prospects.

2) If you do not learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it.

2A) I dont know about you folks I am tired of seeing former Islanders flourish everywhere else. I mean it was real fun watching Luongo and Chara duke it out for the cup

3) We have endured losing season after losing season. Invested a lot into the draft and the players we could obtain in the draft. From the Draft Day Party to the Prospect Games, we have an unheralded devotion to the future here.

3A) That same devotion that would want the Islanders to be the one doing the fleecing. We are tired of being bent over a barrel to make trades. If we move any of these young guys the return better be the sky.
I understand why Islander fans are tentative about trading prospects, but there's nothing wrong with trading a few for something that's going to improve your team by leaps and bounds. What has to be remember is that Milbury traded ALL of our prospects. If we cash a few in, it's ok.

Here's the run down:

1998 - Trades Tood Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe
1998 - Trades J.P. Dumont
1998 - Burns a #1 pick on Mike Rupp (Never signs him, he re-enters draft in 2000)
1999 - Trades Bryan Berard
2000 - Trades Roberto Luongo, Eric Brewer, and Olli Jokinen
2001 - Trades Zdeno Chara, and affectively, rights to Jason Spezza

And this is what has to be realized. Mike Milbury, in te course of almost exactly three years, shipped off every prospect (except DiPietro) that we had. It's funny (ironic, not actually humorous) that he decided to keep the one that he did.

If we trade Bailey or Comeau or de Haan for a really good player, it cannot be confused with being a "Milbury move"

Old
07-29-2011, 07:25 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
I got a feeling its Ryan Suter. I dont see the Preds (who are cheap) paying top dollar for Weber and Suter. Suter is a plus minus monster that should compliment Streit nicely. He doesnt score a lot of goals but is a great presence on the ice. Just watch a couple of team USA games from 2010.
As highly unlikely as Suter seems, I had that exact same gut feeling.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:41 AM
John TavArt Ross

We've all come to the part where we had no choice but to love all of our prospects over the last few years. We're going to have to learn to let go of some of them if we want a big name coming back here. That's just how it goes. You're not going to get a Doughty, without losing an Okposo.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Ziggy16

there is without a doubt a 100% chance a trade will go down, and b/c of the cap, it must be done.. we cant go out and sign 5 guys at 2 mill to fill the cap, we dont have roster spaces for 5 players.. it has to be 1 big trade with 1 big salary coming to us, and not even the vote's results can affect this trade b/c the nhl will force them to make the move to reach the floor if they have to... prospects will have to go , draft picks will have to go and someone on this roster will have to go.. if the league knows we are holding off on a deal that gets us to the cap floor, you can surely bet they will step in and force the trade to happen.. they will envoke the same clause as the ziggy to the rangers rule.. you need to take the players back and not just cash,.., just opposite of it.. you need to take the cash back to follow our rules...

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:06 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
there is without a doubt a 100% chance a trade will go down, and b/c of the cap, it must be done.. we cant go out and sign 5 guys at 2 mill to fill the cap, we dont have roster spaces for 5 players.. it has to be 1 big trade with 1 big salary coming to us, and not even the vote's results can affect this trade b/c the nhl will force them to make the move to reach the floor if they have to... prospects will have to go , draft picks will have to go and someone on this roster will have to go.. if the league knows we are holding off on a deal that gets us to the cap floor, you can surely bet they will step in and force the trade to happen.. they will envoke the same clause as the ziggy to the rangers rule.. you need to take the players back and not just cash,.., just opposite of it.. you need to take the cash back to follow our rules...
Right now we are just over $6M away from the floor. Bring up Nino, sign Comeau and Bailey and we are there. We do not need to make a trade to reach the floor.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:15 AM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Right now we are just over $6M away from the floor. Bring up Nino, sign Comeau and Bailey and we are there. We do not need to make a trade to reach the floor.
Yeah, uh, about that.......

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:18 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I might be in the minority here but I don't feel they are at that point where they should be trading any prospects and youth away. They are all starting to turn a corner and really take that next step as a team.

Personally if it was me I'd sign Hannan or McCabe and call it a day. No assets lost and you have a good stopgap for De Haan.

By the way if they don't give Comeau a fair deal I'm going to be pissed. He earned a decent contract with his play and has shown an upward trend as a player and should only get better.
"....and with the 4th pick in the NHL draft, the NY Islanders Select...."

No thank you....I want to make the playoffs....trading for a 27-28 year old dman in his prime with bailey/comeau and de haan going the other way will not set this franchise back IMO

edit: sorry didnt mean to come off rude--just very adament about improving this team this offseason

Last edited by enigmatic: 07-29-2011 at 08:41 AM.
enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post

No thank you....I want to make the playoffs....trading for a 27-28 year old dman in his prime with bailey/comeau and de haan going the other way will not set this franchise back IMO
This team cannot afford to not make the playoffs for much longer. And be careful, Nathan Mackinnon is draft eligible in 2013. So it's only a matter of time before the tank talk starts again.

Bottom line, you're absolutely right, this team has to make an aggressive step forward immediately. Yeah, sometimes it sucks to see prospects go, but you can't hold onto them for dear life. Islander fans really need to stop feeling sorry for themselves, and they have to stop fearng that every time a prospect is traded, it's a "Milbury move" - That's nonsense. Milbury was emotional and irresponsible. He was a horrible business man. If we trade the likes of Bailey, Comeau, de Haan, Rhakshani, or several other prospects, it will be a trade to improve the team as it is, not so much a cornerstone trade like the ones that Milbury tried. Milbury tried to build the team around Trevor Linden without a nucleus. He tried to build from the goaltender out, which is a HORRIBLE idea, and only a few goaltenders in history have been successful on the strength of their goaltending, namely Patrick Roy. So he tried to build around Felix Potvin after the Trevor Linden experiment failed. Then he tried to krazy glue young vets in 2001, and that success was extremely short-lived. Milbury was horrible. Garth seems to have a better handle on things.

If there is a trade brewing, it's going to be for a player to add to and compliment our nucleus. So there really is no Milbury comparison.

Old
07-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post

edit: sorry didnt mean to come off rude--just very adament about improving this team this offseason
No it's cool don't worry about it.

If they are trading for a D-man they are giving up assets to get someone like Keith Ballard. To me it's not even worth giving up those types of assets to make that deal when there is comparable talent in free agency still.

If they get someone like a Ryan Suter I'll change my tune but I don't see a trade bringing back the right type of D-man to compliment this team for the long term.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
No it's cool don't worry about it.

To me if they are trading for a D-man they are giving up a player and getting someone like Keith Ballard. To me it's not even worth giving up assets to make that deal when there is comparable talent in free agency still.

If they get someone like a Ryan Suter I'll change my tune but I don't see a trade bringing back the right type of D-man to compliment this team for the long term.
Yeah, this is a really good way to put it. It has to be a stud, not an accessory. But having said that, the stud has to compliment the guys who are already on the team, and Ryan Suter is that type of player. but having said that, i still wouldn't bank on Suter being the player who we could be trading for.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Yeah, this is a really good way to put it. It has to be a stud, not an accessory. But having said that, the stud has to compliment the guys who are already on the team, and Ryan Suter is that type of player. but having said that, i still wouldn't bank on Suter being the player who we could be trading for.
Totally agree about Suter, I just really threw his name out there as an example. Personally I have no clue who is available out there that the Isles could land and put them in the right direction at this time.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:11 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

I'm sure I'm in the minority, and don't get me wrong, bc I love the kids game, BUT, I would start a package around Nino and Comeau for a young stud dman. It still wouldn't be enough, but if its getting a Weber/Doughty/Suter type, its a move that makes sense. Gotta give to get and I look at it like this...Would you draft one of those 3 over Nino? Yes

NOW, I don't think were getting one of those 3, I'm just spitballing here. Nino doesn't get moved for anything less than a star.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Stercrazy

It would just be nice to get a deal done for a top 4 Dman. Although I'm not surw who that person would be to give the vote some "buzz". The new Coli vote should have the focus on the positive effects on the community and not just the Isles.

As far as letting go of some prospects I don't have a problem with it. Nino is a nice player but Strome seems to be a nice player also. So a deal that includes Nino/Comeau wouldn't bother me for the right player. I would like to keep Dehaan but if giving up 3 prospects for a legit star is what it takes to land that top Dman then so be it. But a deal for all 3 would have to be special, solid, legit star that's going to strengthen the D for years to come. If that can't happen then I would just prefer to keep our players. But this whole "A big deal for the Isles is about to happen" stuff needs to stop b/c us fans of the Isles have been teased enough. **** or get off the pot!

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote