HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Shea Weber: Let's put some numbers to this...

View Poll Results: Would you trade Weber for Parise (or similar top forward)
Yes 23 41.07%
No 33 58.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
What I'd prefer to do is trade a few of our players/prospects and land Parise, keep Suter, Weber and Rinne and go from there. Trading a guy like Wilson who may or may not make it as a top 3 is a risk but you're getting a stud in return. Ellis, Wilson plus maybe one of Erat or Hornqvist probably would get the job done. Might have to throw a pick in there as well. While that's a lot to give up, you don't give up the core and you add a mighty valuable piece up front. Couple that with a possible return of Rads next season and you have some fire power up front.
100% Agree!! If Parise is in play then, we have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league. Ellis or Wilson (maybe both) + a pick or 2 would be a tempting offer for any team especially a rebuilding one like NJ (last year was not a fluke). Add to that aquiring ZP would help show Weber that the team is indeed "all in" to win a Stanley Cup.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:38 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I have never said poile shouldnt be held accountable. Never. I just think blanket statements like "if any of these three are traded poile screwed up" is unreasonable.

Its like blaming him for a trade not made. We really dont know whats involved.

Criticize poile for signing leggy and erat to their deals, or for any other move he actually made, is all fair game.

If you dont think we have enough offense and didnt do enough to correct it, thats fair too. Plenty to criticize with whats on the record.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:47 PM
adsfan

I voted no. A Shea Weber type comes along about once in 20 years. Keep him!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Stylizer1
Undertaker for Stars

vCash: 50
He's leaving.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
He's leaving.
Going to the Leafs or the Sens or the Jets, is he?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
He's leaving.
Have any Proof???

Old
07-28-2011, 08:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

25 filings for arbitration this year. 22 are completed so far with only Campoli going to the arbitrator and that was after the decision was moved up so the Hawks could walk away sooner.

Parise, Weber, and Comeau remain.

There is no reason for the gloom and doom scenarios unless the hearing actually happens on the 2nd.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...corecard_N.htm

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I would only do a Parise-Weber swap if Parise came with a long term extension. Otherwise, we're better off just keeping Weber and finding another route.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:03 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
He's leaving.
Thanks for the insight. Got any recommendations for lottery tickets, too? If that's too much, what about the weather tomorrow?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:46 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

If I knew Radulov was coming back, id make the deal. We would be a scary team. I think the addition of Radulov and Parise would cover for the loss of Weber with all the D prospects we have. Please dont criticize my lines, this is all talk. This is if we resign Wilson, Sk, and if Bergfors pans out yada yada yada you get the point. And I know trades will be made as well, we just have to many NHL ready players. Just for thoughts.

Radulov-Wilson-Parise
Erat-Legwand-Hornqvist
Sk-Fisher-Bergfors
Spaling-Smithson-Smith/Beck/Tooto/Halischuk/Geoffrion/blablablabla.

Blum-Suter
Klein-Ekholm
Ellis-Josi

Could def pass the scoring prowess from 06-07 in terms of production.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:17 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

mmmmmmm Radulov AND Parise

sweeeeet

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

I don't think trading Weber in any scenario would effect the organization positively. He's the face of the franchise and making him expendable could cause a ripple effect of uncertainty throughout the team. Yes we'd potentially win 5-10 more games because of this stud scorer, but the heart and soul of this team would be gone. Some say that winning games is the only thing that matters, and in most cases they're right, but this is Shea Weber. Nobody is more impactful and intimidating than him. I think we'd just be filling one hole and opening another.

Let me ask a question, if Weber goes, who's captain material? Suter is more of a guy that sends his message through his game. Fisher would be jumping the gun, he really only just got here. There aren't many options right now.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:26 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Let me ask a question, if Weber goes, who's captain material? Suter is more of a guy that sends his message through his game. Fisher would be jumping the gun, he really only just got here. There aren't many options right now.
Suter would def be the Captain. If he is more of a guy that sends a message through his game thats fine. Thats actually what Weber does. Weber isnt to vocal.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:29 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Since this franchise has been in its inception we've lacked 3 things before Shea Weber came along. The first is goal scoring, we've always struggled with goal scoring. The second is a big crease clearing physical defenseman (especially one that can skate). Third is a legitimate superstar face-of-the-franchise type player. Shea Weber has given us all of that in one package. He has a cannon on the blue-line and is one of the best goal scoring defensemen in the NHL, he’s a beast down low and can completely physical dominate, which is a package not many defensemen in the league have, especially in the Norris Trophy caliber, making him our first and only true “superstar face-of-the-franchise type player”.

I love Ryan Suter’s game. He’s one of the smartest defenseman in the game. He is not now and never will be any of the things I’ve listed above. We’ve had a defenseman like Suter in Kimmo, and have prospects that have Suter type potential in Blum and Josi, but we do not have another Shea Weber, in fact the league doesn’t but maybe two other players like Shea Weber.
I agree Weber is one of those rare defenseman in the Scott Stevens and Chris Pronger mode that you know that he will lead some team to a Cup winner. I think Weber has a chance to better than both of them with his offensive cannon and now just stepping into leadership role.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:38 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Suter would def be the Captain. If he is more of a guy that sends a message through his game thats fine. Thats actually what Weber does. Weber isnt to vocal.
I guess you're assuming Suter would resign with us. If Weber can't make a deal (and he said he wants to stay), where's that put Suter?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
100% Agree!! If Parise is in play then, we have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league. Ellis or Wilson (maybe both) + a pick or 2 would be a tempting offer for any team especially a rebuilding one like NJ (last year was not a fluke). Add to that aquiring ZP would help show Weber that the team is indeed "all in" to win a Stanley Cup.
Please see Visqi's comments on the previous page.

Old
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
He's leaving.
No he isn't. And your team sucks.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:46 AM
token grinder

Quote:
He's leaving.
he does own an suv. maybe time to take his horse (or dog, whatever it is) back to the dog park. maybe he need to run and get some groceries too.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:28 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Have any Proof???
He knows the guy that lives down the street from Weber's girl friend's lab partner..

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He knows the guy that lives down the street from Weber's girl friend's lab partner..
I thought he knew Weber's dog groomer's cousin? thanks for clearing that up. Clearly his departure from the Preds is certain now.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:31 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
What I'd prefer to do is trade a few of our players/prospects and land Parise, keep Suter, Weber and Rinne and go from there. Trading a guy like Wilson who may or may not make it as a top 3 is a risk but you're getting a stud in return. Ellis, Wilson plus maybe one of Erat or Hornqvist probably would get the job done. Might have to throw a pick in there as well. While that's a lot to give up, you don't give up the core and you add a mighty valuable piece up front. Couple that with a possible return of Rads next season and you have some fire power up front.
I agree with you on this after thinking of trading Suter for Parise but your idea sounds better I don't think we can win without Weber or Suter and Rinne that is our strength and why weaken that. Instead we can trade the unknowns for Parise and if it took a big package to get him then so be it. I think hearing that Parise signed a one year deal then he's going to want to leave and they know that they laid all their eggs in the Kolvachuk deal and they have to build around him. I think we could afford 4 players making big and let the kids play with them but Erat would have to go to make room for Parise salary

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I don't think trading Weber in any scenario would effect the organization positively. He's the face of the franchise and making him expendable could cause a ripple effect of uncertainty throughout the team. Yes we'd potentially win 5-10 more games because of this stud scorer, but the heart and soul of this team would be gone. Some say that winning games is the only thing that matters, and in most cases they're right, but this is Shea Weber. Nobody is more impactful and intimidating than him. I think we'd just be filling one hole and opening another.

If those 5-10 extra games are playoff games then yes, it would be worth it.

Last edited by Firestorm: 08-01-2011 at 11:39 AM.