HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Rick Knickle new Scouting Director...Keith Gretzky leaving

Old
07-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

vCash: 500
Also

Quote:
@CraigCustance: Told the Bruins have hired Keith Gretzky, the former director of amateur scouting in Phoenix.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Kaizen

Certainly lots of coverage for the WHL with Zacharias in Saskatoon and Knickle in Vancouver. Twohey covers the OHL, Gosselin the Q and Pulford the US amateur duties.

Anybody remember who was scouting the WHL last season? They certainly drafted a few more dub players this past draft than they have recently. I wonder if Zacharias was providing some input before being hired?

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 06:01 PM
zerekstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Is it really the high first round draft picks we messed up on? Turris, Boedker, OEL, and Gormley were pretty much consensus picks at where we took them.

It's the late first round and second rounders that have been frustrating. Nick Ross is a bust. Tiki was a reach. Jared Staal was a waste. Visentin was a reach and the talk about him being taking at 13th is scary. Connor Murphy was questionable, though I don't hate the pick as much as others. Reaching to take our head European scout's kid is a ****ing disgrace.
You have a point but I think you got it wrong on Visentin

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 06:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I think he got it perfect on Visentin. He may turn out to be an excellent pick, but he was a reach, and the talk of him being picked at thirteen if Gormley wasn't there, is definitely scary.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:34 PM
87turbobuick

Quote:
Is it really the high first round draft picks we messed up on? Turris, Boedker, OEL, and Gormley were pretty much consensus picks at where we took them.

It's the late first round and second rounders that have been frustrating. Nick Ross is a bust. Tiki was a reach. Jared Staal was a waste. Visentin was a reach and the talk about him being taking at 13th is scary. Connor Murphy was questionable, though I don't hate the pick as much as others. Reaching to take our head European scout's kid is a ****ing disgrace.
It you go with the consensus why even have a draft team? I know the draft is risky, 2007 and 2008 were our chance and finally heads are rolling.

Logan Couture was passed over for Turris.

In 08, Myers, Carlson and Eberle were available instead of Boedker.

87turbobuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbobuick View Post
It you go with the consensus why even have a draft team? I know the draft is risky, 2007 and 2008 were our chance and finally heads are rolling.

Turris was high on everybodys list. Maybe above James Vanwhatshisname. The Couture reference is poor, he just broke out this year. Most people probably forgot about him until he started to tear **** up.

Turris and Boedker may just be slow developers, or dare I say it, they may turn out to be busts. Either way, both players were highly touted among the prospects surrounding them.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:12 PM
PhoPhan

If the Coyotes made a mistake with Turris or Boedker, it was playing them too early, not drafting them too early.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

Concerning Keith, I think most (if not all of us) can agree that Keith "reached" on a lot of prospects...

Visentin (could have been had in the mid to late 2nd), Ruutu (rated somewhere in the 3rd-4th rd), Tikhonov (mid to late 2nd), Staal (I think he was projected in the 4th - my memory might fail me on this one, I do know he wasn't on anyone's top 60)

I'm glad we're going with someone new...hopefully we can begin to experience some later round guys having an impact.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Anybody can find gems in the first round, but it's getting depth guys in those later rounds that separates good drafting teams from bad. Nashville has a much better track record than we do, and if this guy had a big part in that I'm all for the change. Hopefully we stop drafting guys based on their name...

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbobuick View Post

I agree with Pho, we failed Kyle Turris, not the other way around.I will eat my hat if there was actually any team that had Couture over Turris. If we had the 1st overall pick and we took Turris over Kane and JVR, I would listen, but Couture wasn't anyway near the discussion of the big 3 from that draft.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
I agree with Pho, we failed Kyle Turris, not the other way around.I will eat my hat if there was actually any team that had Couture over Turris. If we had the 1st overall pick and we took Turris over Kane and JVR, I would listen, but Couture wasn't anyway near the discussion of the big 3 from that draft.
Look, every team has drafting mistakes. That`s what makes organizations human. No one point in complaining about the past, every fan of every team does that. Unless you have a DeLorean handy, the past won`t change.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Kaizen

Someone on the Nashville board said Knickle lobbied hard for Weber to be drafted. I'm sure he will have the Don's ear at the draft table if he's not running the show entirely himself.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote