HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Question about Arbitration

Old
07-29-2011, 10:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Question about Arbitration

How does the mediator set a salary on a elite skilled player who had an injury hampered season prior to his RFA?

Do they look at several years of stats? How do they set the comparative salary when the player sat out most of the previous season?

07-29-2011, 11:39 AM
GAGLine

In other words, Parise?

No idea how an arbitrator would rule. Yes, they would look at prior years, and obviously there would still be comparables, but the team would argue that because of the injury, he deserves less, as there is no guarantee that he'll return to his former form.

With the trade of Rolston, it may not come to that. Though as a Ranger fan, I hope it does.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:02 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Well how far back can they go when looking at comparable players seasons?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:11 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Well how far back can they go when looking at comparable players seasons?
The CBA doesn't have an explicit restriction on how far back you can go for comparable player seasons. It does exclude citing arbitration awards from the single 05-06 season and excludes citing any salary or compensation comments from arbitrator ruling opinions that predate the 2005 CBA.

With the salary/cap increases since the new CBA was signed, and the restriction that sides cannot use the cap floor or ceiling as part of their argument it sets a practical limit on not going back more than a couple seasons for comparables. e.g. You wouldn't be allowed to argue that so and so player got $X in 2009, so my client should get 10% more since the cap has increased that much since then.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote