HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Los Angeles City reaches deal with AEG re NFL Stadium

Old
07-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Not to entirely change the subject, but could there be a worse name for a stadium in the entertainment capitol of the world?

Farmer's Field? Really?

I'm sure that Tim Leiweke distributed enough cash to the City Council ****** so that the vote is superfluous...
This ,sadly, is way more true than most people realize.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:55 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
This ,sadly, is way more true than most people realize.
Point being?

As long as it gets done, I don't care how.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Point being?

We're getting football either way.

The stadium in Industry would be better for at least 23 reasons and AEG will get Farmers Field because they greased the political wheels to get the deal. The better field isn't going to win and it's sad that not it's coming down to what is better for everyone, but is coming down to backroom deals.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:27 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Point being?

Really? Why bother having elections then? Just assign the offices to the ****** who can bring in the most money.

Nice philosophy ...

If you REALLY don't care - Welcome to Mexico!

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:38 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:

The stadium in Industry would be better for at least 23 reasons and AEG will get Farmers Field because they greased the political wheels to get the deal. The better field isn't going to win and it's sad that not it's coming down to what is better for everyone, but is coming down to backroom deals.
Really?

I'm biased toward AEG for obvious reasons. But if tailgating is the only argument for why COI is "better", then it's really not.

Both are privately funded. Plus, AEG provides improvements to the convention center, and an increase in convention space.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:50 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Really?

I'm biased toward AEG for obvious reasons. But if tailgating is the only argument for why COI is "better", then it's really not.

Both are privately funded. Plus, AEG provides improvements to the convention center, and an increase in convention space.
I hope that you realize one of the reasons why AEG is where they are now is because the City of LA decided to waive a QUARTER OF A BILLION dollars in taxes so that AEG could build all the stuff that they have in the last few years. They still collect the taxes - they just don't have to pay them.

You don't suppose that LA could use that money now, do you?

Last edited by PSP: 07-29-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old
07-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Face Wash

Quote:

So on a nice November afternoon when the Chargers/Rams have a typical NFL afternoon home game and the Lakers have a typical 6:30p start at Staples...how do you think the 110 FWY is going to look at say 4:30p. I'm thinking there will be even more late ariving Lakers fans than usual.

I know AEG is seedy and corrupt (We don't call him Lieweekly for nothing), but the City really needs this for revenues and a revitalized spirit in a town that is so segmented racially and regionally I tend to think the ends justify the means.

Heck, I'm the only person I know that thinks we should build a new downtown baseball stadium for the Dodgers. Dodger Stadium is an old place that wasn't built for today's fan or for today's modern city.... Yes it has a nice back drop... But there's nothing else to do there, there no mass transit to get there and as we now know there are major security concerns that the city can't afford to remedy...

Anyway, I like the COI plans... nice looking stadium, but bottomline LA needs a downtown football stadium. Having said all this....

Here we go Steelers...Here we go!!!

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
So on a nice November afternoon when the Chargers/Rams have a typical NFL afternoon home game and the Lakers have a typical 6:30p start at Staples...how do you think the 110 FWY is going to look at say 4:30p. I'm thinking there will be even more late ariving Lakers fans than usual.
I think it highly unlikely that football and a Laker game or any event at Staples get scheduled on the same day...

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:57 AM
Face Wash

well....yeah!

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:58 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I think it highly unlikely that football and a Laker game or any event at Staples get scheduled on the same day...
They'll make it work.

1:00 game (that will be the start time 90% of the time), something across the street at 6:30. No problems. The occasional SNF Game (5:30), start events across the street at 12:30 or 1. Minimal issues.

Monday is the only time I could see them having issues. Even then, MNF is at 5:30, then Lakers/Clippers/Kings at 7:30. One let's out at 8:30, the other around 10.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:33 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
I hope that you realize one of the reasons why AEG is where they are now is because the City of LA decided to waive a QUARTER OF A BILLION dollars in taxes so that AEG could build all the stuff that they have in the last few years. They still collect the taxes - they just don't have to pay them.

No, not really. Can't they just put in a new temp tax on garbage to hire more police?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
If a team like the Vikings or Jaguars is moved to LA and they happen to play the Raiders it will be a home game for the Raiders. The yuppy crowd they want will be run right out of the stadium and they won't come back.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:07 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If a team like the Vikings or Jaguars is moved to LA and they happen to play the Raiders it will be a home game for the Raiders. The yuppy crowd they want will be run right out of the stadium and they won't come back.
If they bring in an NFC team (Vikings or Rams) that will only be an issue every 8 years.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:20 AM
LAKings4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Welcome back Raiders!

Please? Get their fans out of the bay area. Make it better for me.
I don't want Raider fans back in SoCal, move the Raiders to Winnipeg and we are all happy .

I grew up a Rams fan so bitterly disappointed when they moved so they can stay in St Louis .

The Charges are intriguing but I don't want to take form another group in SoCal so they can stay in San Diego .

I have been a Packer fans since the Rams moved, so I don't want anything to mess with the Viking and Packer rivalry so Minnesota needs to stay - plus Minnesota has lost 4 Superbowls so keep that negativity out of LA .

That leaves Jacksonville, can not think of any reason I would oppose this - make it so #1.

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Really? Why bother having elections then? Just assign the offices to the ****** who can bring in the most money.

Nice philosophy ...

If you REALLY don't care - Welcome to Mexico!
You mean welcome to the USA? Is that any different than Washington DC or any other city in America. Believe me, I think that it is very wrong but Mexico? That is how business gets done in the good ole USA. It is shameful.

Quote:

What makes the City of Industry proposal the better one? I haven't read enough on the subject to know either way.

Quote:

While I don't know the detail behind all of it (I've read posts by Diehard about the bed tax but please share), I'd have to imagine that the City was willing to forego some tax revenue for somebody willing to risk billions of dollars on revitalizing the dump that was Downtown LA. Is the tax exemption permanent? They did create jobs too. Just playing devils advocate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post

I know AEG is seedy and corrupt (We don't call him Lieweekly for nothing), but the City really needs this for revenues and a revitalized spirit in a town that is so segmented racially and regionally I tend to think the ends justify the means.

Heck, I'm the only person I know that thinks we should build a new downtown baseball stadium for the Dodgers. Dodger Stadium is an old place that wasn't built for today's fan or for today's modern city.... Yes it has a nice back drop... But there's nothing else to do there, there no mass transit to get there and as we now know there are major security concerns that the city can't afford to remedy...

Anyway, I like the COI plans... nice looking stadium, but bottomline LA needs a downtown football stadium. Having said all this....

Here we go Steelers...Here we go!!!
Yeah I tend to agree with everything you said except I don't really care about the Steelers.

Dodger Stadium is nice because of the history but I think of many bad experiences there which have nothing to do with the fans in attendance. One time I stood in a beer line from before the first inning until the 4th inning and I don't even think the game was sold out. I bought some $30 seats once and my knees were smashed against the seat in front of me and I'm 6' tall. I don't get how Angel Stadium which is only a few years older is such a nicer place. I know they renovated it about 10 or 15 years ago after the Rams left and it is almost like a brand new place after. Maybe that is all Dodger stadium needs? Either way, I think the location still sucks.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:39 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

What makes the City of Industry proposal the better one? I haven't read enough on the subject to know either way.

Nothing really.

He's just hell bent on traffic issues that likely won't exist, and tailgating.

AEG provides an improved convention center, more convention space that make them 5th in the country. Everything else is basically the same between the two. Only advantage COI has is time, Roski claims he could be ready for the 2014 season. While the plan for AEG is to be ready for 2016.

Not to mention the jobs it creates in the heart of downtown.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:44 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
The Industry site is already cleared to build on. Roski could start building any time he wants. Yet, he hasn't even bothered to have the actual architectural plans done. Why? Because he has been unable to get a team to commit to his site. That's not surprising. If you were going to move your team here, would you rather it play at LA Live or in Industry?

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:46 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Not to entirely change the subject, but could there be a worse name for a stadium in the entertainment capitol of the world?

Farmer's Field? Really?
jobing.com arena is a pretty dreadful name.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:48 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
The Industry site is already cleared to build on. Roski could start building any time he wants. Yet, he hasn't even bothered to have the actual architectural plans done. Why? Because he has been unable to get a team to commit to his site. That's not surprising. If you were going to move your team here, would you rather it play at LA Live or in Industry?
Bingo.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
There are many worse names for NFL stadiums. Farmers Field isn't that bad for a sponsored stadium name. Doesn't fit an LA team but comparatively speaking it isn't that bad.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
You mean welcome to the USA? Is that any different than Washington DC or any other city in America. Believe me, I think that it is very wrong but Mexico? That is how business gets done in the good ole USA. It is shameful.

While I don't know the detail behind all of it (I've read posts by Diehard about the bed tax but please share), I'd have to imagine that the City was willing to forego some tax revenue for somebody willing to risk billions of dollars on revitalizing the dump that was Downtown LA. Is the tax exemption permanent? They did create jobs too. Just playing devils advocate..

Yeah I tend to agree with everything you said except I don't really care about the Steelers.

Dodger Stadium is nice because of the history but I think of many bad experiences there which have nothing to do with the fans in attendance. One time I stood in a beer line from before the first inning until the 4th inning and I don't even think the game was sold out. I bought some $30 seats once and my knees were smashed against the seat in front of me and I'm 6' tall. I don't get how Angel Stadium which is only a few years older is such a nicer place. I know they renovated it about 10 or 15 years ago after the Rams left and it is almost like a brand new place after. Maybe that is all Dodger stadium needs? Either way, I think the location still sucks.
Dodger Stadium just renovated, the good seats are on the field.

Old
07-30-2011, 01:19 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Here's a story on the bed tax money that AEG gets to keep:
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...1_LATaxes.html
In another article, the price of building the Mariott was said to be approximately $600 mil, so the city gave them nearly half the cost of the hotel ($270 mil) plus gave AEG a $70 mil loan paid off over 25 years by a tax on tickets to events at Staples.

Here's another issue - Before the location of Staples and the surrounding redevelopment had been announced, the City of LA created all of the land for these projects - 27 acres in total by having the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) seize these properties through eminent domain. The property owners were forced to sell their properties to the CRA at an incredibly low market value compared to what they would be worth once AEG's projects were announced. The CRA then turned around and sold them all to AEG for those low prices.

While I understand that these kinds of moves are necessary for the benefit of the public (i.e. to add or widen a freeway), it's another thing to have the government essentially seize private land so that a corporation can profit. To add insult to injury, AEG didn't have plans to develop all of the land themselves. They have sold off at least 3 of the parcels to other companies for their projects. Needless to say, AEG didn't sell the land at the price that the private landowners were forced to accept when their property was seized. They made a VERY healthy profit on those transactions - and the former owners got to stand by and watch.
http://www.laweekly.com/2009-10-08/n...ton-and-aeg/2/

Old
07-30-2011, 01:24 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
There are many worse names for NFL stadiums. Farmers Field isn't that bad for a sponsored stadium name. Doesn't fit an LA team but comparatively speaking it isn't that bad.
That was my point - it would be fine in Kansas or someplace like that.

Even Farmers Insurance Field would be way better

Old
07-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Dodger Stadium just renovated, the good seats are on the field.
they only renovated the field level, then McCourt ran out of money

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
If they bring in an NFC team (Vikings or Rams) that will only be an issue every 8 years.
Another reason not to bring the Chargers.