HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Aaron Boogaard arrested

Old
07-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Ominous Grey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
So what youre saying is they shouldnt do their job then? Fact is he broke the law not once but twice. Yes it sucks that his brother died but that shouldnt get him off scott free from consequences that are very lenient at worse. 21 months of probation and no jail time?
I think that seeing things in black and white is much easier than understanding what's really going on. There are serious extenuating circumstances in a very delicate situation. A little tact for the family would be nice.

Yeah, he broke the law. But we all do at some point or another. Just seems excessive to me.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:10 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
I think that seeing things in black and white is much easier than understanding what's really going on. There are serious extenuating circumstances in a very delicate situation. A little tact for the family would be nice.

Yeah, he broke the law. But we all do at some point or another. Just seems excessive to me.
I understand whats really going on. Him giving his brother that one pill played a part in his death. Are they not supposed to do anything about it? How is him getting 21 months of probation, if hes convicted, excessive? He wont do any jail time at all and thats from the county attorneys office. The only way he'll do jail time is if he has prior convictions.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:54 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Everyone can speculate, but ONE oxy and drinking did not kill Boogaard. To paint Aaron as a villian or someone trying to sabotage his brother is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if they both suffered from addiction and had substance abuse issues.

Charging Aaron seems like a ploy to get him to rat out his supplier.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
It would be a greater miscarriage of justice had Aaron not been charged, frankly. We could accuse the Minneapolis PD of being "star ****ers" then, not in a situation where they're actually doing their jobs.
who benefits from this arrest? Is the city any safer? Of course not, don't be silly.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
RandR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
who benefits from this arrest? Is the city any safer? Of course not, don't be silly.
You make this sound like movies where Batman fights crime to make Gotham city safer from the forces of evil.

And nobody directly benefits from most arrests, but most laws exist for good reason; and if they weren't enforced then there really isn't much point in having them. Hopefully the public awareness of this case acts as a reminder and deterrent to people who might otherwise be uniformed or unthinking enough to do the same as what Aaron Boogaard did.

So I suppose one could say that this arrest actually does make "the city safer" by potentially preventing similar deaths.

RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Statement from Ryan Boogaard regarding younger brother Aaron Boogaard

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:11 AM
El Cohiba

Thanks for the link, very sad to read. This should seel the deal IMO. Aaron is innocent, and the police and courts need to quit wasting time and money.

El Cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:31 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandR View Post
You make this sound like movies where Batman fights crime to make Gotham city safer from the forces of evil.

And nobody directly benefits from most arrests, but most laws exist for good reason; and if they weren't enforced then there really isn't much point in having them. Hopefully the public awareness of this case acts as a reminder and deterrent to people who might otherwise be uniformed or unthinking enough to do the same as what Aaron Boogaard did.

So I suppose one could say that this arrest actually does make "the city safer" by potentially preventing similar deaths.
This doesn't help prevent anything. Its extremely unlikely that there would even be charges if this wasn't such a high profile case.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:33 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
This doesn't help prevent anything. Its extremely unlikely that there would even be charges if this wasn't such a high profile case.
So you get pulled over for speeding 10 KM over the limit. You likely wouldn't have killed anyone, but it was against the law. Stupid or reasonable use of police resources?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:07 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
So you get pulled over for speeding 10 KM over the limit. You likely wouldn't have killed anyone, but it was against the law. Stupid or reasonable use of police resources?
Very much reasonable for a traffic cop.

The thing is, when you lock up petty offenders, it is NOT a reasonable use of resources. That's why jails are so overcrowded.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:14 AM
DwightKSchrute

So sad, especially the end when he talks about how close Derek and Aaron were,hard to believe that hes gone. RIP

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:52 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I bet Aaron Regrets it too, he didn't know Derek would mix it with Alcohol but the Pill would've worked if Derek didn't drink Alcohol with it. Aaron Didn't know but wow this just gets worse and worse for the Boogaards.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:05 PM
RandR

Quote:
Oxycodone is a controlled substance for good reason. And if there weren't laws for controlled substances then there would be many times more deaths from abuse of them. And there wouldn't be much point in having those laws if they were never enforced.

I agree with you that there may not have been charges if it wasn't a high profile case. However, because it was a professional athlete, the need and wish for an autopsy was obvious. The findings of the autopsy and subsequent investigation showed that laws pertaining to controlled substances like oxycodone (plus interfering with the scene of death) were broken, so the police and state are simply doing their jobs by laying the charges they did.

The state has recommended only a probationary sentence, ie- no jail time.

I think this is all quite reasonable.

RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
ovenbaked

Quote:
Hopefully the public awareness of this case acts as a reminder and deterrent to people who might otherwise be uniformed or unthinking enough to do the same as what Aaron Boogaard did.

Some pretty wishful thinking right there.

ovenbaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
ovenbaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
I bet Aaron Regrets it too, he didn't know Derek would mix it with Alcohol but the Pill would've worked if Derek didn't drink Alcohol with it. Aaron Didn't know but wow this just gets worse and worse for the Boogaards.
You really think it was his first time mixing the two?

ovenbaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Hextall27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
This. 1000x this.

Unless there is something major going on here that we don't know about, this is a disgrace. You think he was trying to harm his brother? Perhaps he was irresponsible, but my god - he'll have to live with this for the rest of his life.

It's this type of crap that makes me hate the police. Don't they have, ya know, something better to do?

So if someone gets behind the wheel of their car after having 10 beers then hits and kills someone else its ok cause there was no intent to harm, just irresponsibilty? sure thats pretty drastic stretch but still...

oxy's are terribly addictive. They are opiates like heroin or morphine-they just dont have the social stigma. This wasnt an aspirin, it was a powerful dangerous drug. Just because pills arent injected or smoked doesnt make them any less potent. They are prescribed to ONE person for a reason, the dosage amount is made for that ONE person only, thats why you need a doctor to get them. What works for one brother doesnt neccasarily work for the other.

And this is a bit of speculation but most people who have strong addictions to oxy pills DONT just eat them they crush them, then inject them. Doing this intensifies the drug and bypasses its time release feature that it has in pill form. One oxy probably wouldnt have killed a man of his size if taken as a pill because the drug doesnt flood the system, it releases itself over hours. but if its injected directly into the blood all that medicine crashes the body at once and jolts the nervous system and the heart, mix that with alcohol and...

point being its bad news and aaron giving him even one pill isnt just irresponsible, its illegal. Sad, sad stuff. saying the police are out of line is nuts, its not their job to be sensitive and say "well his actions killed his brother, thats its own punishment". And while that might be true it doesnt eliviate the fact he broke the law and societies rules. Terrible that this stuff happens Even worse that we can try and blame law enforcement, or just chalk it up to bad luck.

Hextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

I can't believe some people in this thread.. If someone has a drug/alcohol addiction your not going to fix them by giving them more drugs and alcohol. People have to give their heads a shake.. Regardless if there was intent or not you don't feed someones addiction

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 900
Oxycodone is one of the biggest evils in our society right now IMO. Not only is it terribly addictive, trying to kick it makes one violently ill. I've never struggled personally with it but I've seen it up close. Keep that in mind when considering this Aaron guy a degenerate, it is a terrible addiction to deal with.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:57 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Hole Inspector View Post
I can't believe some people in this thread.. If someone has a drug/alcohol addiction your not going to fix them by giving them more drugs and alcohol. People have to give their heads a shake.. Regardless if there was intent or not you don't feed someones addiction
You also don't just quit cold turkey. It doesn't have to do with the drug either, it's a mind set. And you'll always suffer from addiction. It's something that just doesn't magically disappear. You obviously have no idea about addiction.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
You also don't just quit cold turkey. It doesn't have to do with the drug either, it's a mind set. And you'll always suffer from addiction. It's something that just doesn't magically disappear. You obviously have no idea about addiction.
It's better to quit cold turkey then continue doing certain drugs.

07-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Quote:

Deterrent theory is certainly a major part of jurisprudence and what-not, but as RT is explaining, it's not black-and-white. A potential criminal might think to himself "well, he only got caught because his famous brother died". Wheres the deterrent?

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Oxycodone is one of the biggest evils in our society right now IMO. Not only is it terribly addictive, trying to kick it makes one violently ill. I've never struggled personally with it but I've seen it up close. Keep that in mind when considering this Aaron guy a degenerate, it is a terrible addiction to deal with.
Yep +1 on all points. My friend's supply of oxy went cold so she went right on to smoking heroin for 6 months. Got arrested and is trying to reclaim her shell of a life in rehab.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cohiba View Post
Thanks for the link, very sad to read. This should seel the deal IMO. Aaron is innocent, and the police and courts need to quit wasting time and money.
Innocent of what? There's obviously evidence that he supplied the drug to Derek since he was arrested. I'll let a court decide whether or not he actually did it.

If you have a problem with the law in question, that's fine, although I bet most of the posters here wouldn't bat an eye if this was just some regular guy.

It's sad to hear from the family's perspective, but if you break the law, you have to expect consequences. I think this forum is being incredibly hypocritical, especially with the whole "**** the police" attitude that's being posted.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:14 PM
straka91*

Not to defend oxycotton, but its by far not the most horrible drug out there. Dont get me wrong its still bad when used improperly but I would still put fentanyl, black tar heroin, or meth way ahead of it. Calling it one of the biggest evils out there is laughable. No offense. I personally find child molestation, school shootings, serial murder, far more worse of the "evils." Just to name a few.

Im glad the Boogaard family is sticking together through these hard times and not letting Aaron go at this alone. Major props.

Last edited by straka91*: 07-29-2011 at 10:21 PM.
straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
Yep +1 on all points. My friend's supply of oxy went cold so she went right on to smoking heroin for 6 months. Got arrested and is trying to reclaim her shell of a life in rehab.
I watched a friend of mine go through oxy withdrawl, it was pretty scary. He quit cold turkey, just decided he'd had enough of relying on it. None of knew he was even on it, it just became so ingrained in his normal routine. I remember sitting in his house with couple of other people, it's 70 some degrees and the rest of us are in shorts. Meanwhile, he's wearing pants and three sweatshirts and still shivering like crazy. He dropped his drink because his hands were shaking so bad. Then there were the ridiculous moodswings. He'd just start crying over nothing, or get furious and start throwing things because of something really insignificant.

Basically, he started taking after he tore a muscle and was prescribed it. Started out recreationally at first but eventually he didn't feel like his "normal" self if he didn't have any.

He's clean now, but it was a tough road for him. Pain killers don't have the stigma of some "harder" drugs, but they're still pretty dangerous.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote