HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zherdev to Winnipeg

Old
07-28-2011, 10:41 PM
BrianL*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarredandFeathered View Post
Let me put it this way, if you had a choice of whether to go to a moderate climate, or to a climate like Winnipeg, with the same chance to win the Cup,(that's not even speaking of the cities shortcomings culturally/socially), what would you do?
Please expand on your understanding of what Winnipeg's cultural and social shortcomings are.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Please expand on your understanding of what Winnipeg's cultural and social shortcomings are.
Respectfully, please don't. Can we just talk about Zherdev and not have another thread for people to bash other cities?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:30 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarredandFeathered View Post
You just answered your own question. These players simply do not want to stick around in a cold climate after spending their entire youth in one.

I've travelled to Russia, and have taken the Trans-Siberian. Trust me, it's even colder than most inhabited cities in Canada. With the humidity in the air, it chills you straight to the bone, unlike the relatively dry climate in Central-Northern Canada.

Let me put it this way, if you had a choice of whether to go to a moderate climate, or to a climate like Winnipeg, with the same chance to win the Cup,(that's not even speaking of the cities shortcomings culturally/socially), what would you do?
If he's a hockey player, he's going to go to the place that offers him the best opportunity ON THE ICE and financially, not the most beaches or gridlock traffic. Zherdev alluded to this in his interview. Did you read it?

Edmonton's management and lack of success on the ice has been as much to blame for their inability to sign free agents as the weather has. It's a misconception. Players who base their decisions on climate aren't the type you want on your roster anyway.

That said, if both places offer the same in terms of hockey-related matters, I'd take the beach!

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Lux Aurumque*

From the sounds of this article, I like Zherdev's attitude. He seems a lot more mature than in past years.

Don't screw this one up, Cheveldayoff.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:23 PM
PointL00kout

I think a team like the Jets would be great for Zherdev. He would get plenty of ice time and get a chance to be the star of the team. I think its a great fit for him. Winnipeg should gamble because the need better offense to reach the playoffs.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
From the sounds of this article, I like Zherdev's attitude. He seems a lot more mature than in past years.

Don't screw this one up, Cheveldayoff.
Don't worry, it's a trap.

A poster who provides translations of Russian articles recently posted an interview where Zherdev comes off as a diva who still doesn't get that it's NOT all about him. He isn't a team player. Though for a cheap price, like...a million, I guess, he'd probably be good for Winnipeg.

07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Zherdev's KHL rights are held by Atlant. With Alexei Kovalev apparently signing with that same team, it may indicate Zherdev is a better bet to play in the NHL this coming season.

I'm continuously updating Zherdev's status here.

07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Hopefully he just floats his way back to the KHL.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdowntoimpact View Post
I think a team like the Jets would be great for Zherdev. He would get plenty of ice time and get a chance to be the star of the team. I think its a great fit for him. Winnipeg should gamble because the need better offense to reach the playoffs.
even if he actually did play to his potential, he would not be a bigger star than kane, enstrom, byfuglien, little, ladd, burmistrov, or pavelec

but yeah, he could play on the 2nd line.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 06:10 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Still say no thanks
There's a reason his history is:

2003 #4 overall pick

Columbus 2003,
CSKA Moscow 2004-5
Columbus 2005-8
Rangers 2008-9 Zherdev was team's LEADING SCORER, then Rangers walked away from his arbitration award.
Atlant Moscow Oblast 2009-10
Flyers 2010-11 Flyers waive goes unclaimed, Flyers decline to offer.

He's a talented guy, when he wants to, he will play 200 feet. Somehow, he wears out his welcome very quickly, in less than a season. Even CSKA walked away from him after one season.

Good way to make the Jets dressing room measurably worse.

I hope he signs an NHL contract, but with a team I don't like and want him to sabotage.

He would be perfect for the Blues or Ducks!

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 07-29-2011 at 06:15 PM.
TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:23 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
There's a reason his history is:

2003 #4 overall pick

Columbus 2003,
CSKA Moscow 2004-5
Columbus 2005-8
Rangers 2008-9 Zherdev was team's LEADING SCORER, then Rangers walked away from his arbitration award.
Atlant Moscow Oblast 2009-10
Flyers 2010-11 Flyers waive goes unclaimed, Flyers decline to offer.

He's a talented guy, when he wants to, he will play 200 feet. Somehow, he wears out his welcome very quickly, in less than a season. Even CSKA walked away from him after one season.

Good way to make the Jets dressing room measurably worse.

I hope he signs an NHL contract, but with a team I don't like and want him to sabotage.

He would be perfect for the Blues or Ducks!
The word for Z is cancer...you nailed it right on the head: Zherdevs cost isn't cap space, its locker-room morale.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:24 PM
tuckrr

Also, I think on the caps he COULD do alright, cuz maybe he would look up to ovie.

But even that's a stretch

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

I really hope Z goes big time in the NHL. So many people rag on him like they know him personally. Funny.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
The potential is there for a big season in Winterpeg Manitsnowba. But it is just potential If Zherdev goes to winnipeg, which i hope he does, he needs to show some offense, and his abilites. There are a few other Russians on the roster as well, which also helps the situation.

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Jonas1235

The team as it is, is going to get a lottery pick. They ain't making the playoffs with or without him.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
even if he actually did play to his potential, he would not be a bigger star than kane, enstrom, byfuglien, little, ladd, burmistrov, or pavelec

but yeah, he could play on the 2nd line.
I hate Zherdev with a ****ing passion but if he played up to his POTENTIAL the guy would be talked about with Kovalchuk, Stamkos etc.

One of the most talented players to lace em up. Unfortunately also one of the laziest.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Halpysback

He'd be a good fit, since Noel is basically Renney 2.0 and Zherdev was lights out under Renney. However if I were them I wouldn't risk Zherdev negatively influencing Burmistrov, who I'm pretty sure will be the best player on that team in a couple years by a fair margin if his mindset doesn't get derailed. If there's any Russian Winnipeg should be going after I'd say it's Tikhonov (who chances are will get waived under Tippett). Kane-Burmistrov-Tikhonov could become a ridiculous counterattacking line.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote