HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official 2011 NFL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I wonder why Coughlin wasn't offered a longer contract extension. Gimme Reid over Coughlin 9 times out of 10. Is it Reid's fault his players don't perform as expected when they get to the big games? Many people were calling for Coughlin's head on a platter after the season ended. I doubt he's the coach of the Giants after this season. Biggest reason he's still their coach is cause Mara knew that the lockout would last a while and coach stability from the previous season would be big. If the Giants changed coaches, the team would have to learn a new system on the fly. Coughlin gives the team the best chance to win this season. I'll guarantee that Coughlin isn't the coach of the Giants next season.
Reid over Couglin??? Troll post, right? Bahahahahaha.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:05 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Fly Eagles fly!

As an Eagles fan I really dont like reid because his approach is totally unorthodox, throwing the ball 70% of the time. It's amazing that Vick thrived last year in his first year as the starting QB given he was never much of a passing QB. I hope Vick continues his success, because last year was a career year in only 11 games.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:19 PM
ecemleafs

ill take the dood thats got a superbowl and not choked in every big game in his career...

Old
07-29-2011, 11:01 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I'll take Coughlin over Reid @ coaching AINEC

Reid is better talent evaluator/GM & probably better @ gameplanning/running an offense but man oh man does he **** the bed on in game decisions. Give Coughlin the EXACT same teams & (more importantly) coordinators during their 5 NFC champ game run & Coughlin snaps off at least 1 SB

Old
07-29-2011, 11:04 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

If Philly stays healthy they can be very very good but they are a fragile team IMO.

I don't know what to expect from NYG yet, too many ?s still. Could be a step back this year.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

What's the Giants cap situation? I wondering why there was no move for Asomugha.

Their backfield is nothing to write home about...

Old
07-29-2011, 11:59 PM
TheRedViper

You guys pretty much think Cowboys/Redskins battle it out for last? Eagles/Giants division to lose? Obv the Skins are going to suck, but haven't really been paying any attention to the Cowboys moves...

Old
07-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
You guys pretty much think Cowboys/Redskins battle it out for last? Eagles/Giants division to lose? Obv the Skins are going to suck, but haven't really been paying any attention to the Cowboys moves...
It's the Eagle's division to lose. Everyone else battles it out for last. The Giants are going in with more holes than swiss cheese.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:06 AM
TheRedViper

Eagles are still in need of a RT/MLB. 2 pretty big holes ATM.
Our current starting MLB is either Jamar Chaney who started I believe 3-4(??) games there at the end of the year, or he gets bounced to SAM and Casey Matthews () takes over the inside. Obviously thats without making any moves which would be ****ing dumb.

and at RT, Winston freaking Justice is currently slotted in as Vick's blindside tackle...
We also need to get Jackson signed now

Old
07-30-2011, 12:25 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It's the Eagle's division to lose. Everyone else battles it out for last. The Giants are going in with more holes than swiss cheese.
More holes than swiss cheese? They have a weak o-line and a weak linebacker corp. The same problems we've had for a while now.

Our offense is more than fine and our d-line is one of the best in the NFC. Our secondary is fine as well. Hopefully we have a good punt returner with Jernigan now.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
More holes than swiss cheese? They have a weak o-line and a weak linebacker corp. The same problems we've had for a while now.

Our offense is more than fine and our d-line is one of the best in the NFC. Our secondary is fine as well. Hopefully we have a good punt returner with Jernigan now.
Over the years I've been the first to defend the Giants, but in my honest opinion, I think they're going to lay a major, and I mean major egg this season. The Giants are usually the last team I get on (unlike the Rangers who I practically have on 24 hour shock therapy) but I just think they suck this year to put it bluntly. Bad O-line, laughable linebackers,shallow running game, terrible special teams, weak secondary imo, and a QB that throws an interception and a half per game. What's there to like? The only bright spot is the receivers and Smith isn't even signed.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:35 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Over the years I've been the first to defend the Giants, but in my honest opinion, I think they're going to lay a major, and I mean major egg this season. The Giants are usually the last team I get on (unlike the Rangers who I practically have on 24 hour shock therapy) but I just think they suck this year to put it bluntly. Bad O-line, laughable linebackers,shallow running game, terrible special teams, weak secondary imo, and a QB that throws an interception and a half per game. What's there to like? The only bright spot is the receivers and Smith isn't even signed.
If Eli bounces back you have a very good offense. Eli was bad last season, I agree. I don't think the running game is shallow, I think Bradshaw/Jacobs is a good tandem. I also disagree about the secondary, especially if the Prince pans out. Special teams, yeah, but i'm used to that by now.

If we blow this season, it's because of special teams and also because we kill ourself as we've seen, with not being able to hold onto the ball and ints.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
If Eli bounces back you have a very good offense. Eli was bad last season, I agree. I don't think the running game is shallow, I think Bradshaw/Jacobs is a good tandem. I also disagree about the secondary, especially if the Prince pans out. Special teams, yeah, but i'm used to that by now.

If we blow this season, it's because of special teams and also because we kill ourself as we've seen, with not being able to hold onto the ball and ints.
That guy is a shell of his former self.

And the Giants killing themselves isn't really an if at this point. It happens not only every year, but just about every game. The Giants invented killing oneself. That's what I mean. Take a team that already has some obstacles, and pair that with the way the Giants shoot themselves in the foot, and it could get ugly.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:43 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
That guy is a shell of his former self.

And the Giants killing themselves isn't really an if at this point. It happens not only every year, but just about every game. The Giants invented killing oneself. That's what I mean. Take a team that already has some obstacles, and pair that with the way the Giants shoot themselves in the foot, and it could get ugly.
I think Jacobs is better than he was last year. I agree he hasn't been as good, but I wouldn't call him a shell. Hopefully i'm right because BJ on his game is a big asset.

And true, but I don't expect as many ints this year. If Eli can't round back into form we're ****ed for much more than one year, so I have him playing better than last year which was a very forgettable season for him.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
I think Jacobs is better than he was last year. I agree he hasn't been as good, but I wouldn't call him a shell. Hopefully i'm right because BJ on his game is a big asset.

And true, but I don't expect as many ints this year. If Eli can't round back into form we're ****ed for much more than one year, so I have him playing better than last year which was a very forgettable season for him.
What about the offseason though? That's what's really got me pissed off. What did we do to improve exactly?

Old
07-30-2011, 12:49 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
What about the offseason though? That's what's really got me pissed off. What did we do to improve exactly?
Well I mean, the market for what we need the most was pretty weak. We didn't really need to bring in a WR, and if Plax comes and is still any good that's a bonus. We really need to address the offensive live and our linebackers in the draft or through trade.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Well I mean, the market for what we need the most was pretty weak. We didn't really need to bring in a WR, and if Plax comes and is still any good that's a bonus. We really need to address the offensive live and our linebackers in the draft or through trade.
That's the problem I have with this team this season. I know it's been said a thousand times before, but the O-line is always under the radar. It all starts there, especially with a QB that hates pressure.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:58 AM
NYRSchrute217

Don't underestimate this Asomugha signing for the Eagles. This guy is absolutely as good as Revis but lacked the publicity because he played on the West Coast. Samuel might get dealt now, probably for a first rounder and give the Eagles even MORE chips in next year's draft.

Giants fans who STILL think they're better than Philly are in denial. I'm not saying the Eagles will win the division with certainty but adding Asomugha (and Young, a very underrated move) to a secondary along with Rodgers-Cromartie, Allen and possibly Samuel is a huge move.

I'd put the Eagles right up there with Green Bay as the class of the conference. Both offenses are potent and dynamic, both teams have a ton of depth at Corner. GB has much better LBs but PHI is ahead at RB and DE. Comparable teams.

Old
07-30-2011, 01:01 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

They're going to have to cut Jackson or Asante to fit Asomugha, and Aso isn't such a huge upgrade of Asante to make them suddenly the team to beat in the NFC.

Old
07-30-2011, 01:27 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Don't underestimate this Asomugha signing for the Eagles. This guy is absolutely as good as Revis but lacked the publicity because he played on the West Coast. Samuel might get dealt now, probably for a first rounder and give the Eagles even MORE chips in next year's draft.

Giants fans who STILL think they're better than Philly are in denial. I'm not saying the Eagles will win the division with certainty but adding Asomugha (and Young, a very underrated move) to a secondary along with Rodgers-Cromartie, Allen and possibly Samuel is a huge move.

I'd put the Eagles right up there with Green Bay as the class of the conference. Both offenses are potent and dynamic, both teams have a ton of depth at Corner. GB has much better LBs but PHI is ahead at RB and DE. Comparable teams.
I'll agree that right now phi>NYG & maybe phi>>NYG

But

Let's see Vick do it again before comparing them to GB. I think he's got WAY better chance to get worse than better this season.

On paper phi look amazing but I just don't trust it for some reason. They kinda remind me of the Cowboys(in last 5yrs) where I just don't think they'll put it all together when it counts.

Old
07-30-2011, 01:55 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
They're going to have to cut Jackson or Asante to fit Asomugha, and Aso isn't such a huge upgrade of Asante to make them suddenly the team to beat in the NFC.
Cut DeSean Jackson? I can't even respond to that as it's a completely ridiculous thought. Asante won't be cut either, they can get a first rounder for him probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
I'll agree that right now phi>NYG & maybe phi>>NYG

But

Let's see Vick do it again before comparing them to GB. I think he's got WAY better chance to get worse than better this season.

On paper phi look amazing but I just don't trust it for some reason. They kinda remind me of the Cowboys(in last 5yrs) where I just don't think they'll put it all together when it counts.
Probably wishful thinking. PHI-GB was basically the NFCCG last year in my opinion. Vick was terrific in Reid's offense and even if he does stumble, Young is a capable QB that Reid will coach up. The Eagles aren't a team of has beens or overrated players (Romo, Owens, Williams), they're VERY young and very talented with few holes. LB is a big question mark for both the Eagles and Giants. Justice may not be able to hold up at RT. Other than that, the Eagles are pretty much set.

Old
07-30-2011, 02:09 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Cut DeSean Jackson? I can't even respond to that as it's a completely ridiculous thought. Asante won't be cut either, they can get a first rounder for him probably.

Probably wishful thinking. PHI-GB was basically the NFCCG last year in my opinion. Vick was terrific in Reid's offense and even if he does stumble, Young is a capable QB that Reid will coach up. The Eagles aren't a team of has beens or overrated players (Romo, Owens, Williams), they're VERY young and very talented with few holes. LB is a big question mark for both the Eagles and Giants. Justice may not be able to hold up at RT. Other than that, the Eagles are pretty much set.

Didn't mean cut. It's 3 in the morning, shush. . But they won't be able to resign him unless they move Samuels. Either way, either their CB depth won't be as good as you say or their offense will be greatly weakened.

And i'm just going to go ahead and disagree with you about that being the NFCCG. The Bears were a good team, and the Saints missing out were a fluke and would've also been a good team. If that was the NFCCCG than the Eagles don't deserve to be there yet because GB handily beat them and the score is closer than how the actual game seemed.

I agree the Eagles are a very good team. i disagree that they're the world beaters you're portraying them to be. And since when is Romo overrated? He's a good quarterback marred by people calling him a choker.

Old
07-30-2011, 02:18 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Didn't mean cut. It's 3 in the morning, shush. . But they won't be able to resign him unless they move Samuels. Either way, either their CB depth won't be as good as you say or their offense will be greatly weakened.

And i'm just going to go ahead and disagree with you about that being the NFCCG. The Bears were a good team, and the Saints missing out were a fluke and would've also been a good team. If that was the NFCCCG than the Eagles don't deserve to be there yet because GB handily beat them and the score is closer than how the actual game seemed.

I agree the Eagles are a very good team. i disagree that they're the world beaters you're portraying them to be. And since when is Romo overrated? He's a good quarterback marred by people calling him a choker.
They're under the cap right now. I'm not sure if Jackson will get his new deal just yet though. Might have to wait a while.

I was never sold on Chicago last year, despite their head to head win over the Eagles. Just not much of an offense at all.

I'm not making them seem like world beaters but they are better than the Giants, period. At least right now. The team simply doesn't have many glaring holes aside from LB and RT. Romo was the greatest thing since sliced bread in 07 and 08, remember?

Old
07-30-2011, 09:30 AM
slipknottin

Replacing Asante with Nnamdi is a very minor upgrade if at all.

And to the guy saying Reid is a better talent evaluator, giants are without question the better drafting team.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:57 PM
sbjnyc

Quote:
After the Eagles signed Aso I had been maybe the Jets could deal for Asante, but not for a 1st rounder. It would only work if we can restructure his contract. Then again, Samuel is more of a zone guy so he might not fit in the Jets defensive scheme so well.

Closed Thread