HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and 2012 UFA possibilities to add another scorer

Old
07-30-2011, 09:35 AM
TrollololBoyle

vCash: 500
Players who fit perfectly with this team are the only ones worth going after.

I don't want Semin or Penner. I do want Sharp or Parise, but I fully believe both re-sign with their respective teams. Sharp especially can play wing, or fill in as a second line center, the versatility and his style of game meshes perfectly with the Rangers style.

I would also not be opposed to emptying out the farm for a elite talent, but only if that player is relatively cheap, controllable for a few years and on a rebuilding team. Think Adrian Gonzalez being traded to the Red Sox from the Padres. That could have been Kovalchuk last year. Unfortunately, in the NHL these players are never available.

Or Perhaps a Rangers prospect fills the top line at left wing!

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
If it is Parise, Glen will move salary to make it happen. You can guarantee that.
Same thing was said when Kovalchuk hit the market. Glen didn't do ****.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Or Perhaps a Rangers prospect fills the top line at left wing!
With the way this team is constructed, I think that's the ultimate plan.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:43 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
The team didn't have Brad Richards, then.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:50 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The team didn't have Brad Richards, then.
I don't think it's a fair comparison. Kovalchuk hit UFA with a very negative stigma around him -- the type of guy who would put up great offensive stats, but wasn't necessarily what you needed to "win" the ultimate prize. Just look at the fact that there were only 2 legitimate bidders for his services -- LA and NJ (and LA at with an offer 10s of millions of dollars lower than that of the Devils).

Then compare him to a guy like Richards, who didn't have such a stigma, but is older and less talented than Kovalchuk, who had no less than 5 teams willing to offer him massive deals (NY, LA, Calgary, Buffalo, and Toronto). In addition, most those teams actually traveled to Richards' agents' office to "kiss his ring" so to speak.

Yes, the cap had gone up in the year between the two signings, but it wasn't a case of only Sather wanting no part of Kovalchuk.

Parise does not carry the same stigma as Kovalchuk. I have no doubt that if he hits July 1st, there would more teams interested in Parise than Richards, and while I can't be certain, it surely wouldn't surprise me if Sather was one of the GMs that made an offer.

EDIT: Not to mention, Kovalchuk is the antithesis of a Torts-kind-of-guy, whereas Parise might be considered the poster boy.

In all serious though, I think if Parise leaves NJ, he ends up in Pittsburgh playing with his old friend Crosby, or in Minnesota with an astronomically insane contract.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:57 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I don't think it's a fair comparison. Kovalchuk hit UFA with a very negative stigma around him -- the type of guy who would put up great offensive stats, but wasn't necessarily what you needed to "win" the ultimate prize. Just look at the fact that there were only 2 legitimate bidders for his services -- LA and NJ (and LA at with an offer 10s of millions of dollars lower than that of the Devils).

Then compare him to a guy like Richards, who didn't have such a stigma, but is older and less talented than Kovalchuk, who had no less than 5 teams willing to offer him massive deals (NY, LA, Calgary, Buffalo, and Toronto). In addition, most those teams actually traveled to Richards' agents' office to "kiss his ring" so to speak.

Yes, the cap had gone up in the year between the two signings, but it wasn't a case of only Sather wanting no part of Kovalchuk.

Parise does not carry the same stigma as Kovalchuk. I have no doubt that if he hits July 1st, there would more teams interested in Parise than Richards, and while I can't be certain, it surely wouldn't surprise me if Sather was one of the GMs that made an offer.

EDIT: Not to mention, Kovalchuk is the antithesis of a Torts-kind-of-guy, whereas Parise might be considered the poster boy.

In all serious though, I think if Parise leaves NJ, he ends up in Pittsburgh playing with his old friend Crosby, or in Minnesota with an astronomically insane contract.
When I first saw Parise took a 1 year deal, I immediately thought he'd end up a Penguin if he hits FA. They could move Staal and I'm sure Parise would take a discount to ride shotgun to Crosby for the next 10 years. A modern day Kurri and Gretzky.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Frankly, I'd rather have Brent Burns as Staal's defensive partner instead of Parise.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:17 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Frankly, I'd rather have Brent Burns as Staal's defensive partner instead of Parise.
Of course you would. Parise would look silly next to Staal.

I can't imagine san jose will let Burns get away after what they traded to get him.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
bernmeister

Great OP

There is no chance we get Eric Staal, they'll want a ransom.
Unfortunately, I fear a great 2 way difference maker, Patrick Sharp, will also command too much.

Normally, no, but if their G goes down w/injury, the one place --- and I could be wrong --- where they are a bit thin, then maybe something like

Biron
Talbot
Boyle
Thomas
Christiansen
+ picks does it

but not without their under pressure to come up w/a G.
We would have to rely on somebody like Stacjer as back up but I'd do that if it meant Sharp.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Of course you would. Parise would look silly next to Staal.

I can't imagine san jose will let Burns get away after what they traded to get him.
Thanks, smartguy!

Yeah, I would agree, but, until he signs a deal, it's still a possibility. Then, there's Shea Weber.......

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:47 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Priority 1: Parise
Priority 2: Parise
Priority 3: Parise
Priority 4: Parise
Priority 5: Parise
Priority 6: Parise
Priority 7: Parise
Priority 8: Parise
Priority 9: Parise
Priority 10: Parise
i would also add Zach Parise to this list

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:56 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Next year:

Parise - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Thomas
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
Erixon - MDZ
Now that's a lineup that could go places! Obviously it's a bit of an assumption that Kreider, Thomas and Hagelin will all be ready for action next season. But it's not completely unrealistic.

When was the last time the Rangers had 3 first liners on the first line???

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think Burns is overrated. Sure he has a lot of offensive talent, but he is no where near Girardi's level in terms of play in the defensive zone.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:55 AM
LyNX27

Quote:

Alexander Semin
Dustin Penner
RJ Umberger
Patrick Sharp
Chris Kunitz
(on a 1 year deal only)

So here's a list of overpaid first liners who might be available cheap because their team may not want to pay their salaries:

1. RW Thomas Vanek (presently 3 years left at $7.143 per) - considering how much Buffalo just sank into their team, I doubt they trade Vanek, but if they struggle, there may be calls to clear some wasteful spending, so who knows.

2. C Eric Staal (presently 5 years at $8.25 left) - could be ok in a trade if we deal away a center, among other assets for him. But he's the face of the franchise in many ways.

3. C Vinny Lecavalier (presently 8 years at $7.7 per left) - don't really want unless we get him just for players we are dropping to create cap space (Wolski, Avery, etc). Don't see this working out at all.

4. LW Ilya Kovalchuk - Lou badly wanted him, and if changes his mind and does deal him away (highly unlikely), it certainly won't be to the Rangers.

4. Parise
out of all the players you listed, Patrick Sharp, Thomas Vanek, and Zach Parise are the only ones I would consider, and Parise is the only one that is close to likely unless we trade some major youth in a push for Sharp, or Vanek has an insanely bad season and we jump on him (I doubt Buffalo sours on him that fast.)

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:07 PM
gotmonte

Save some cap space there please. In 2014 (which isnt THAT far from now) we have some pretty heavy hitters on our team needing to be re-signed and who are in line for some raises.

I am terrified of 2014 to be honest. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE the chance to REALLY play for the Stanley Cup and usually would mortgage anything for it, but if we go in a all-out win now mode and dont care about the future (i.e. 1994) we will be screwed for years to come.

Now, I would trade anything in the world to feel the feelings I did in 1994 but I also learned a very valuable lesson. If we LOST in game 7 we would be winners of NOTHING and losers of EVERYTHING. We traded away some very heavy hitters who went on to greatness and if we lost we would have so much egg on our face and so much heartache. I am scared to go through that again. And signing players right to the cap ceiling is a dangerous thing when we have some VERY CORE guys coming off the books in 2014.

Would I love Parise? WOULD I LOVE PARISE?!?!!? OH MY GOD YES!. Give me some Parise PLEASE!

But at what point do we sign these players?

We have a very good team right now in my eyes. If Gaborik and Richards play in harmony that we have a really good chance to challenge for years to come and with the scrubs coming off the payroll and can be replaced by some upper-tier prospects for cheap gives us the cap room to not have to worry about losing ANY pieces of our core in '14.

Just sayin'.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Ke11y96

has the rangers second buyout period already come and gone?

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Chalfdiggity3

I mean parise just signed a 1yr $6m deal. He is definatly worth a 4yr $5.5-6m per year contract. He's a 1st line player and exactly what we need. We will have about 7m in capspace this summer. It's nothing but capspace and depending upon how gabby plays we may not have to resign him for 7m,

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
NYRantLftyC19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Save some cap space there please. In 2014 (which isnt THAT far from now) we have some pretty heavy hitters on our team needing to be re-signed and who are in line for some raises.

I am terrified of 2014 to be honest. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE the chance to REALLY play for the Stanley Cup and usually would mortgage anything for it, but if we go in a all-out win now mode and dont care about the future (i.e. 1994) we will be screwed for years to come.

Now, I would trade anything in the world to feel the feelings I did in 1994 but I also learned a very valuable lesson. If we LOST in game 7 we would be winners of NOTHING and losers of EVERYTHING. We traded away some very heavy hitters who went on to greatness and if we lost we would have so much egg on our face and so much heartache. I am scared to go through that again. And signing players right to the cap ceiling is a dangerous thing when we have some VERY CORE guys coming off the books in 2014.

Would I love Parise? WOULD I LOVE PARISE?!?!!? OH MY GOD YES!. Give me some Parise PLEASE!

But at what point do we sign these players?

We have a very good team right now in my eyes. If Gaborik and Richards play in harmony that we have a really good chance to challenge for years to come and with the scrubs coming off the payroll and can be replaced by some upper-tier prospects for cheap gives us the cap room to not have to worry about losing ANY pieces of our core in '14.

Just sayin'.
This is basically my train of thought as well. Adding another $6M+/5+ year contract to this team would mean we may not be able to give one of our homegrown guys that really progresses a good contract. Sure, next year we have space.. but in two or three years we might be cutting it too close. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a short term contract next year, for a year or two, but even then our young guys should be better and coming into their own and adding in a guy like Kreider or Thomas would be sufficient.What if Stepan develops faster than some of us expect and puts up a 60 point and then a 70 point season, before his contract is up? Or Anisimov does something along these lines as well... I'd rather use that cap space next season for a short term solution that lets us keep our depth than become top heavy and see us have to lose keep homegrown guys in the future...

I'm not really a cap-expert like some of the posters in here so i may be completely wrong on the money we will have available two years from now and on.. but this is what scares me the most about adding superstar-like contract to this team while we have young guys that are developing very nicely. This scenario reminds me of Ottawa a couple years back who had the top line of Heatly-Spezza-Alfredson and had to trade away Havlat...

NYRantLftyC19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:38 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRantLftyC19 View Post
This is basically my train of thought as well. Adding another $6M+/5+ year contract to this team would mean we may not be able to give one of our homegrown guys that really progresses a good contract. Sure, next year we have space.. but in two or three years we might be cutting it too close. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a short term contract next year, for a year or two, but even then our young guys should be better and coming into their own and adding in a guy like Kreider or Thomas would be sufficient.What if Stepan develops faster than some of us expect and puts up a 60 point and then a 70 point season, before his contract is up? Or Anisimov does something along these lines as well... I'd rather use that cap space next season for a short term solution that lets us keep our depth than become top heavy and see us have to lose keep homegrown guys in the future...

I'm not really a cap-expert like some of the posters in here so i may be completely wrong on the money we will have available two years from now and on.. but this is what scares me the most about adding superstar-like contract to this team while we have young guys that are developing very nicely. This scenario reminds me of Ottawa a couple years back who had the top line of Heatly-Spezza-Alfredson and had to trade away Havlat...
Keep in mind that when Parise hits UFA next July (if he does) Gaborik will only have 2 years left on his $7.5m deal.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
NYRantLftyC19

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Keep in mind that when Parise hits UFA next July (if he does) Gaborik will only have 2 years left on his $7.5m deal.
That is true and i admit i did forget his contract is up... So we could use that money to keep our guys if we can fill his role of goal-scorer from within... But Gaborik wouldn't be old.. and if he has great chemistry with Richards we would probably want to bring him back, atleast for a 3 year contract or something...

Anyway, that is really far down the road though and 3 years is a lot of time... I'll try to take it two years at a time lol

NYRantLftyC19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
bscharf

Quote:
Next year:

Parise - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Thomas
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
Erixon - MDZ
If this actually happens I cant help but to think we win multiple cups.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
I mean parise just signed a 1yr $6m deal. He is definatly worth a 4yr $5.5-6m per year contract. He's a 1st line player and exactly what we need. We will have about 7m in capspace this summer. It's nothing but capspace and depending upon how gabby plays we may not have to resign him for 7m,
He's worth more than that. If he signed a 1 year deal at 6M he could have signed a 4 year deal at 7M or more....next year he can. Why would he sign a longer term deal at less money? Next year he's a UFA and can get market value. If he has a 40/40 season he'll be worth a Gaborik or Richards contract.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Lets say pittsburgh breaks the bank for parise next sunmer and need to shed salary: Anisimov, 2nd for jordan staal

Boyle Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Staal Callahan
Kreider Stepan Zuccarello
Fedotenko Rupp Prust

Staal Erixon
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto Girardi
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Parise would be the #1 bar-none target.

Pretty clear he wants to hit UFA too.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:12 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Lets say pittsburgh breaks the bank for parise next sunmer and need to shed salary: Anisimov, 2nd for jordan staal
Why? Similar players, similar age, Staal has a larger cap hit. Keep Anisimov, keep the second. Done.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote