HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev's interview to Sport Express (Ukrainian news paper)/ Updated with new quotes

Old
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

vCash: 500
forget about zherdev's talent; it's all about putting the team above yourself. he's whining and crying about not being put in the top 6. i'd put him in his place too if i were lavi/homer. he needed a reality check. multiple ones. and after reading this interview it's upsettingly clear that he STILL doesn't get it. i really wanted zherdev to succeed and i enjoyed watching him when he was on his game, but this article gave me all the assurance i needed that he cares more about himself than his team or his teammates.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
That's semms very plausible, however we would not know if he had used an interpreter as Bob did.

Also, Z was not a "fresh of the boat" kind of guy, so he had to take ownership of learning the language of his employer and making sure that he understands instructions.

Having worked for American employers from almost day 1 of my imigration and having valued an opportunity to hold a job/ jobs I consider his misinterpretations of communications or lack of understanding (after 4 years in the USA) as unprofessional approach to his job.
Some people are able to pick up languages and others aren't. My first language was Greek but I can't spit out 2 words together anymore so when I am around people who primarily speak Greek, I clam up. With me, at least it was my first language so if I had to pick it up again but if I were forced to learn it as an adult, it would be really hard.

I'm saying this as someone that didn't want him on the team, just so you know.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:31 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Some people are able to pick up languages and others aren't. My first language was Greek but I can't spit out 2 words together anymore so when I am around people who primarily speak Greek, I clam up. With me, at least it was my first language so if I had to pick it up again but if I were forced to learn it as an adult, it would be really hard.

I'm saying this as someone that didn't want him on the team, just so you know.
Hockey aside, and by that I mean everything hockey related with Z (skills, team work, practice etc.), making sure you understand what is asked of you by your employer was Z's responsibility. If he had had trouble with that, he should not have come back for another season. Or should have arranged for an interpreter.

We have examples of Malkin and BOB who do not speak English and are way ahead of Z in comprehension.

Also my parents, who had come here at the age of 62 learned English enough to live independently and communicate with doctors, car mechanics, government workers; so, no, Z does not get a pass from me for poor English comprehension.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Hockey aside, and by that I mean everything hockey related with Z (skills, team work, practice etc.), making sure you understand what is asked of you by your employer was Z's responsibility. If he had had trouble with that, he should not have come back for another season. Or should have arranged for an interpreter.

We have examples of Malkin and BOB who do not speak English and are way ahead of Z in comprehension.

Also my parents, who had come here at the age of 62 learned English enough to live independently and communicate with doctors, car mechanics, government workers; so, no, Z does not get a pass from me for poor English comprehension.
I understand it to a point but some people are just not good with languages. My dad came here when he was 20 not knowing a word of English and he had almost no Greek accent as an adult and picked the language up easily. But I know others who have been here for decades and just can't figure it out.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see how Bob's English is when he gets here, assuming he'll still be a Flyer.

Old
07-28-2011, 08:42 PM
ORYX

I agree with Zherdev to some degree in regards to the suffocation point. He is not a grinder or 3rd liner, he was signed as a top 6, did well in the preseason but still was expected to preform a role he has never played in his life.

When he got top 6 minutes he played well, when we complained about him, look where he was in the lineup. There were players in the top 6 that are better suited for a 3rd line role then Zherdev, while if given he opportunity Zherdev could build some chemistry with a line. He was used like a yo-yo back and forth between line mates and lines.

I don't expect an offensive player to preform well with the likes of Nodl, Carcillo, Shelley, etc as his linemates, nor do I expect him to all of a sudden change his game to play a role he CANT play.

Imagine asking Crosby or parise or Kovalchuk to play a defensive checking game on the third line, it's a waste of talent.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Never liked Zherdev Im glad hes gone. but Im not too shocked about his comments about Holmgren with all the crap thats been said by him this offseason. Im keeping this team at a safe distance, but Im getting the impression Holmgren is a school girl who likes to talk **** about anyone so it wouldnt shock me.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I agree with Zherdev to some degree in regards to the suffocation point. He is not a grinder or 3rd liner, he was signed as a top 6, did well in the preseason but still was expected to preform a role he has never played in his life.

When he got top 6 minutes he played well, when we complained about him, look where he was in the lineup. There were players in the top 6 that are better suited for a 3rd line role then Zherdev, while if given he opportunity Zherdev could build some chemistry with a line. He was used like a yo-yo back and forth between line mates and lines.

I don't expect an offensive player to preform well with the likes of Nodl, Carcillo, Shelley, etc as his linemates, nor do I expect him to all of a sudden change his game to play a role he CANT play.

Imagine asking Crosby or parise or Kovalchuk to play a defensive checking game on the third line, it's a waste of talent.
Thing is that the Flyers didn't really have a "third line" last year. They had three lines that were expected to provide offensive punch, and Zherdev spent plenty of time with Giroux and Carter as well as seeing time with Richards.

The year before, Ville Leino couldn't even get a sniff at the starting lineup after coming over from Detroit. But he kept his mouth shut, did what Laviolette wanted and took advantage of the opportunity when it finally presented itself.

Zherdev got second, third, fourth and fifth chances to stay in the lineup. Each and every time, he'd play like a man possessed for first couple games and then fall back into his old habits.

If he wants to see what went wrong in Philly, he should start by looking in the mirror.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:17 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Guy is so narcissistic I'm sure he's looked in the the mirror more than a few times..that's his problem..he enjoys looking at himself and can't see the forest for the trees

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:19 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Thing is that the Flyers didn't really have a "third line" last year. They had three lines that were expected to provide offensive punch, and Zherdev spent plenty of time with Giroux and Carter as well as seeing time with Richards.

The year before, Ville Leino couldn't even get a sniff at the starting lineup after coming over from Detroit. But he kept his mouth shut, did what Laviolette wanted and took advantage of the opportunity when it finally presented itself.

Zherdev got second, third, fourth and fifth chances to stay in the lineup. Each and every time, he'd play like a man possessed for first couple games and then fall back into his old habits.

If he wants to see what went wrong in Philly, he should start by looking in the mirror.
I love you Bill Meltzer.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:35 AM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I love you Bill Meltzer.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:35 AM
kimmofan44

i really wish that z worked out. a little more fire in his play would have led to more ice time which in turn would have given him a chance to to earn a spot on the team. just think about what his numbers would have looked like if he played a full 82 last season! may have been top on the team in goals! oh well. good luck where ever you go z! and stop chasing your wife around russia with a pipe its such an un-hockey player thing to do.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
The numbers and facts don't lie. The team was better with him playing. But Lavi decided to sit him and aid the down spiral that the season became (though I'm not saying him sitting was the only reason for the failure). Quite a few fwd's were happy to have him back after Lavi started playing him again.

One of the naive I see. You're probably one of the moron's who love we acquired Jagar and thought Roenick was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Naive? Did 29 GMs not pass on him at 1/2 price? and 30 pass on him in the off season?

But you know.

Congrats slugger!

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
mja
Negative Creep

I have no idea how any intelligent person can read the transcript of that interview and not arrive at the conclusion that Zherdev is anything other than a first rate diva.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:15 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I have no idea how any intelligent person can read the transcript of that interview and not arrive at the conclusion that Zherdev is anything other than a first rate diva.
Yup, he accepts no responsibility.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

I hate players like zherdev or kovalchuk.

They are "me first" Players. They don´t give a **** about the team, they looking at themselves and their stats. They want high stats so they can recieve better contracts, more money.

They never heard of the Team effort. These player hurts a whole franchise.

Look at NJ with Kovalchuk!!

Im glad he is gone.

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:58 AM
smacklby

Zherdev on Laviolette, Holmgren and his future (CSNPhilly article)

CSN Staff article:

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/29/11/Zh...84&feedID=6572

Quote:
Broad Street Hockey's Teemu translated a Russian interview with Nikolay Zherdev recently that got Zherdev's thoughts on his turbulent 2010-11 season with the Flyers. Here is some of what Zherdev had to say. You should check out the entire conversation here.

On Peter Laviolette:
"Unfortunately, he didn’t have confidence in me. I can’t say that he favors skill-based hockey. Some skilled players received normal ice time from him. But if you talk about me, I was never on the top two lines. It was like that right from the start of the season. So I couldn’t even dream about putting up good numbers."
Z has sooo much talent, and in some ways he seems right. Lavi, Homer, the team never did give him the 'right' opportunities..... rather than Homer complain about him using a car service, how about Lavi or Homer appoint someone from the team to buddy with him and help him transition to the team and to the city. BAD MANAGEMENT. On Z, he does appear to have some attitude issues; you can't always blame, blame, blame others. He needs to step up and take accountability for himself and his actions, more, more, more and all the time. However, he seems partly justified in his attitude -- if I don't like the way I'm treated, I might carry some attitide, too! it's human nature. I put more blame on management (bad management), and always have, regarding Z.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-30-2011 at 11:08 AM.
smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Jester

Z's most common line mates were Giroux and Carter. Stop complaining.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

What is the over/under on how many times Todd Fedoruk would have punched him in practice?

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Z's most common line mates were Giroux and Carter. Stop complaining.
He spent a decent amount of time playing with Richards too.

07-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

That is exactly what i mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez
They are "me first" Players. They don´t give a **** about the team, they looking at themselves and their stats. They want high stats so they can recieve better contracts, more money.

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
Just give him some ice-time

Goals per minute (based on actual time on ice)

Zherdev : 0.022

Richards: 0.015

Brier: 0.01774

Carter: 0.02467
I wont miss him. The gamble to trade Gagne for crap and bring in Zherdev was nothing short of a disaster. He isnt a team guy. never has been, never will be. ask the fans of CBJ and the Rangers.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Zherdev far from cool to idea of playing in 'Peg

So the weather is not a priority for him...how bout a work ethic???

Quote:
“The weather is not a priority to me,” Zherdev told broadstreethockey.com. “The most important thing is to get a good role on the team, a good coach and a good contract. Everything related to climate and geography doesn’t basically mean anything.

“I don’t know all the details of the situation. The agent does,” said Zherdev. “But I can say that I’m seriously considering all offers from both NHL and KHL.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/07/2...playing-in-peg
Had to add this quote....

Quote:
“I met with Vityaz GM Alexei Zhamnov a little while ago, he played three years in Winnipeg. He said it’s very cold and a lot of snow there in the winter, which just makes it an ideal place for hockey. Great! Manitoba doesn’t scare me. I wasn’t born in Africa after all.”

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

http://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud/s...31310062911488

"And, to nobody's surprise, Nik Zherdev has signed with Atlant Mytishchi of the #KHL. Looks like WPG wasn't really interested #flyers #nhl"

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Jester

All us haters... everyone would love to have a Zherdev on their team!

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
All us haters... everyone would love to have a Zherdev on their team!
This was proven to be false when he was waived and no-one wanted him.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote