HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 12:47 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
http://mmaweekly.com/with-recent-win...g-a-ufc-return

Not sure how many out there watch the Horwich vs. Rosholt at Sharks Fights 17 on HDNet recently. But this quote cracked me up:

That's a good one.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
Quote:
http://mmaweekly.com/with-recent-win...g-a-ufc-return

Not sure how many out there watch the Horwich vs. Rosholt at Sharks Fights 17 on HDNet recently. But this quote cracked me up:

lol

Overeem out of the SF heavyweight grand prix is an absolute travesty for both Zuffa and overeem's camp. Overeem looks double-bad for it after a lacklustre fight in the quarter finals, and now when he's up against a far more threatening opponent he's out of the tournament.

Zuffa of course looks bad in that a big company like that couldn't hold the tournament together.

Damn shame, the last SF card with the heavyweights was actually pretty exciting...and good for Cormier for getting the call though, I expect he'll get thrashed but he's been eating his recent competition for breakfast.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
joestevens29

Took a quick look at that card and seen Ricco Rodriguez won another fight. Wonder if he makes a strikeforce card or something soon?

Old
07-19-2011, 12:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
lol

Overeem out of the SF heavyweight grand prix is an absolute travesty for both Zuffa and overeem's camp. Overeem looks double-bad for it after a lacklustre fight in the quarter finals, and now when he's up against a far more threatening opponent he's out of the tournament.

Zuffa of course looks bad in that a big company like that couldn't hold the tournament together.

Damn shame, the last SF card with the heavyweights was actually pretty exciting...and good for Cormier for getting the call though, I expect he'll get thrashed but he's been eating his recent competition for breakfast.
I could be wrong, but I thought nothing changed on a management front for Strikeforce. I'd assume that this is one nail in their coffin, that is if Dana wants to spin it that way when he closes up shop.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought nothing changed on a management front for Strikeforce. I'd assume that this is one nail in their coffin, that is if Dana wants to spin it that way when he closes up shop.

Coker still runs it, but changes have been made, such as their matchmaker is the former WEC matchmaker.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
lol

something is up here and im wondering what it could be, they postponed teh werdum/overeem fight for months because werdum said he was hurt. overeem said he needed a month and they said no. i wouldnt be the least bit surprised if one of cain/jds are injured and we will soon get the announcement that Reem will be fighting one of them.

also this makes the tourney a cake walk for barnett assuming he doesnt test for roids again. he will avoid the power shots from kharitonov and get him on his back and win either via dec or kimura. bigfoot eases past cormier and barnett uses superior wrestling and experience to mop up bigfoot,.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:08 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
i said it when the merger happened and still say it now, the ufc will let this HW tourny finish and then fold strikeforce all together, they already plucked diaz and melendez would have been plucked as well if it werent for the long delay in the LW div. the reality is that aside from teh HW div there isnt alot of comp for the top fighters. merging with teh ufc and using the challengers series as a feeder league is the best possible business solution.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
lol

He wants to go back to Japan so he can get back on the gas. He is shrinking.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Coker still runs it, but changes have been made, such as their matchmaker is the former WEC matchmaker.
Yeah Coker remained but it sounds like everyone else was pretty much replaced and the whole staff was beefed up.

Quote:
Took a quick look at that card and seen Ricco Rodriguez won another fight. Wonder if he makes a strikeforce card or something soon?
Yeah I wonder. He is on I think an 11 or 12 fight win streak now. The only problem is pretty much all of those wins are against nobodies. Well I guess in his previous fight he did beat James McSweeny who was on The Ultimate Fighter.

This fight was supposed to be against a little tougher opponent but the opponent (Karl Knothe who was on an eleven fight win streak as well) had to drop out last minute.

But man he looked so much better than when he fought just before the IFL went under back around 2007. I think that must have been when he was still hooked on drugs. He was over weight and totally gassed about 2-3 minutes into the fight and lost.

I think he was like 265 in that fight. But actually after the Shark Fights match he said in the post fight interview he is moving down to 205 now. He weighed in at 227 for this current fight.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 07-19-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old
07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Zap Brannigan

Quote:
Nah, Ricco has burned his bridges with Zuffa and he acknowledges it himself.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:16 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
something is up here and im wondering what it could be, they postponed teh werdum/overeem fight for months because werdum said he was hurt. overeem said he needed a month and they said no. i wouldnt be the least bit surprised if one of cain/jds are injured and we will soon get the announcement that Reem will be fighting one of them.

also this makes the tourney a cake walk for barnett assuming he doesnt test for roids again. he will avoid the power shots from kharitonov and get him on his back and win either via dec or kimura. bigfoot eases past cormier and barnett uses superior wrestling and experience to mop up bigfoot,.
I dont see how Barnett is gonna be able to avoid the power shots from kharitonov, as his only way to beat Sergei will be to get him to the ground, which is no easy task... Mind you, it is all null and void if Sergei comes into the fight looking like he did against Monson... Either way, it should be an awesome fight. Seems to me "Ubereem" is also ducking Big Foot, this is now the 2nd time he has avoided fighting him.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Muad'Dib

Old
07-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Oilerdiehard

I see there is a story up on MMA Weekly that says Overeem is out of the tournament due broken toe. Dana White said Showtime has the show September show set in stone and could not be changed. So they that is why they replaced him with Cormier.

They have a vid of Dana White with the story talking about it, he said (when asked if this is a bad start for him with Zuffa) if you are hurt then you are hurt and he wanted to reiterated a couple of times that Overeem is still under contract with them.

Old
07-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Zap Brannigan

Overeem only has like one fight left on his contract or so the rumor goes.

Old
07-21-2011, 09:01 AM
joestevens29

IMO if Overeem is pissing around this isn't the time to be doing so. I don't think Dana White is going to be scared to lose him to Dream or where ever. This isn't like years ago when there was nothing in the HW division and UFC was trying so hard to get Fedor over. The divison has a lot of competition and now wouldn't be the time to piss off Dana.

Old
07-21-2011, 09:37 AM
joestevens29

Speculation was rampant that UFC head honcho Dana White was miffed with the former WEC ring queen for messing up which network was carrying UFC Live.

But (a deep sigh of relief from everyone) it seems White has heard your cries and Palmer will be strutting her stuff around the octagon and keeping us abreast of what round it is for the foreseeable future.

After being bombarded with messages that fans didn’t want to see her go, Palmer’s profile has miraculously reappeared on the UFC website — phew!

This was in regards to Britney Palmer. I seen the night she made the mistake on twitter and thought to myself she could be in trouble. Moments later Dana corrected her.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
joestevens29

Fedor vs. Hendo tonight. Anyone going to watch?

Old
07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Fedor vs. Hendo tonight. Anyone going to watch?
I will be for sure.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I will be for sure.
What do their PPV go for now? I've watched the past few at a buddies.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Ckpon

Strikeforce releases Alistair Overeem

Well this was an interesting story to start my day.

www.mmaweekly.com and www.sherdog.com

have posted the news as reports ran that Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem was cut today. Rumors are he took a fight in October outside the organization which he is allowed to do with his contract. However, the issue was he didn't want to fight in the Grand Prix in Sept due to the turn around time.

Interesting if this is completely accurate.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckpon View Post
Well this was an interesting story to start my day.

www.mmaweekly.com and www.sherdog.com

have posted the news as reports ran that Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem was cut today. Rumors are he took a fight in October outside the organization which he is allowed to do with his contract. However, the issue was he didn't want to fight in the Grand Prix in Sept due to the turn around time.

Interesting if this is completely accurate.
I'm not really shocked. The only thing that pisses me off is if he goes wherever and goes on a huge undefeated streak it will be like the whole Fedor-Lesnar thing from a few years ago.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
What do their PPV go for now? I've watched the past few at a buddies.
I do not know. I have a subscription to Showtime (do you guys have that there? It is an HBO like channel). So I get all the Strikeforce events.

So it is a monthly type subscription. It was a package (had the channel for a long time now) deal for me of Showtime and HBO. I thought they started showing these events on Superchannel or something like that in Canada.

That channel makes some good series as well like Shameless, Dexter, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, United States of Tara, Tudors etc...

Old
07-30-2011, 11:32 AM
frag2

Quote:
I'm not really shocked. The only thing that pisses me off is if he goes wherever and goes on a huge undefeated streak it will be like the whole Fedor-Lesnar thing from a few years ago.
Overeem allegedly took vacation after his bout with Werdum and thus didn't train. Something about didn't go to camp early as he wasn't expecting another bout that quick.

His cut probably just reeks Dana setting him for UFC.
Probably a New Years fight with Cain/JDS...which I wouldn't oppose

Old
07-30-2011, 12:17 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
I do not know. I have a subscription to Showtime (do you guys have that there? It is an HBO like channel). So I get all the Strikeforce events.

So it is a monthly type subscription. It was a package (had the channel for a long time now) deal for me of Showtime and HBO. I thought they started showing these events on Superchannel or something like that in Canada.

That channel makes some good series as well like Shameless, Dexter, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, United States of Tara, Tudors etc...
Bell used to have a HDNET channel that showed Strikeforce fights but it is gone. I did watch a strikeforce "b" level card last week on Superchannel. Not sure if they show big fights there though

edit:
Bell ch.1278 has the fights on it tonight starting at 5:45 MST with a few old Fedor and Hendo fights.

We dont get showtime in Canada, Superchannel picks up some of the shows and others like Tudors are on Bravo!.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:31 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Bell used to have a HDNET channel that showed Strikeforce fights but it is gone. I did watch a strikeforce "b" level card last week on Superchannel. Not sure if they show big fights there though

edit:
Bell ch.1278 has the fights on it tonight starting at 5:45 MST with a few old Fedor and Hendo fights.

We dont get showtime in Canada, Superchannel picks up some of the shows and others like Tudors are on Bravo!.
Superchannel is anything but "super", sucks that you have to have this channel to see the fight tonight..

Closed Thread