HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Desharnais scoring touch work in the NHL?

Old
07-30-2011, 01:06 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Eller needs another year or two on the 3rd line just like Pleks did when he was developing. Whereas Desharnais is already ready to replace Gomez if the opportunity presents itself.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:09 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Eller needs another year or two on the 3rd line just like Pleks did when he was developing. Whereas Desharnais is already ready to replace Gomez if the opportunity presents itself.
Dude. This year is going to be DD's official rookie season in the NHL.

No, he won't be ready to replace Gomez as the 2nd line center. Not if both Gomez and Plek are healthy. He'll develop, pull points, show he's responsible, and in 1 year or 2, or if we have either Gomez or Plek injured, we might see some promotions.

Anyway, I believe Gomez will rebound this year. We might wanna trade him in 2013 if either Eller or DD proved themselves and we wanna get ourselves some more prospect.

I really like what this team is becoming. They have a healthy mental environment.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:14 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
DD is creative and he works hard. I believe he can make plays on the wings or the center. If you don't consider sheer hockeywise talent (passing/shooting), he's pretty much the anti-AK.

AK is big. DD is small.
AK is fast. DD needs to work that.
AK kinda gets lazy sometimes. DD works his ass off.
AK seems reluctant to go physical. DD doesn't hesitate.
AK isn't that bright, playwise. DD knows what to do to hurt the other team.
AK can be a defensive liability. DD always knows what to do best.

AK-Eller-DD is, in my book, a dominant 3rd line. It will be feared this year throughout the Eastern Conference.
The bolded parts are just insanity. Maybe DD needs to work on his first few steps, because for his size, if he wants to excel, he needs top acceleration.
I don't wanna derail the thread, but you're being ridiculous about AK. He's the most physical and the strongest player on this team. He's the only one that can (and does) outmuscle the players and get them off the puck. And defensively, he's come a long way last year and I think he realized that he has to play within the system (see: Martin's doghouse).

Having said that, that line you mentioned is exactly what I'd like to see this season.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:18 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
The bolded parts are just insanity. Maybe DD needs to work on his first few steps, because for his size, if he wants to excel, he needs top acceleration.
I don't wanna derail the thread, but you're being ridiculous about AK. He's the most physical and the strongest player on this team. He's the only one that can (and does) outmuscle the players and get them off the puck. And defensively, he's come a long way last year and I think he realized that he has to play within the system (see: Martin's doghouse).

Having said that, that line you mentioned is exactly what I'd like to see this season.
AK had 140 hits for first on the team, I don't understand how the poster you quoted suggsted he's 'reluctant'.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:22 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
AK had 140 hits for first on the team, I don't understand how the poster you quoted suggsted he's 'reluctant'.
There is more to physicality than the # of hits. AK's not afraid of hitting, but he's afraid of being hit. The occasion where he goes battling strong and hard in the corner for the puck are, to say the least, disappointing when you consider his size and overall skill. He hits, but he doesn't scrum.

Compare to David who went one on one against Chara, and actually defeated the guy. Or even Subban, who managed to protect the puck against Ovechkin or all people, get away with it, and make a scoring change pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post

However, (continuing my last post) I agree that maybe I might be a tad out of date concerning AK's defensive game. I do remember, now, how he seemed at least adequate in our own end, and provoked a lot less turnover in the offensive zone. But he still seem shy of scrumming, IMHO. But then again; it's just an opinion. I might very well let my previous impression of AK veil my jugement.

DD hasn't top-speed out of this world, so your point is exactly what I meant. DD needs better acceleration (he needs to speed up his speeding up), so he can have an early edge against people who go after him. But I am sure he will get there eventually, he's still young and underdevelopped.

Last edited by PricePkPatch: 07-30-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: avoiding double-posting
Old
07-30-2011, 04:02 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I think that Desharnais will do fine in the NHL. He was imo,at the point where he got injured in the Boston series, the best Hab on the ice. The first firewagon hockey Hab I've seen in years. Reminds me of Cournoyer. This guy is going to do good things for the Habs.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:24 PM
habsjunkie2*

I think DD will produce points at every level. On a team with big bodies throughout the lineup he may fair better off, but I'm not too concerned about him. I think his line can and will out chance most other 3rd lines in the league. If we play him in a roll where he is most likely to succeed, 3rd line and 2nd pp, he will be just fine and produce between 40-45 points on a pretty regular basis. He has amazing anticipation and hockey sense, which in my opinion should trump any deficiencies he may have with size/strength and lack of elite level speed for a small guy.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
80 points, what are you guys smoking? So that would make him the leading scorer on our team, when was the last time a Hab got 80 points?? He's a 3rd liner that may get 30 points, thats it. Another example of Habs fans over-estimating their players, and yes, I'm a Habs fan for the past 42 years give or take, but Christ, get real guys.
lol yep exactly! But all jokes aside, if there's one guy who's getting to 80 points it will be Ryan White. I think his ceiling is somewhere around 85-90pts, Eller probably 130, and leblanc somewhere like 160-180 with like 100g I think.

Why not, since we're playing the never will happen in the NHL game..

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:24 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
dd will put up as many points as ak this year.i wish ak had half the hockey sense that desharnais does.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:52 PM
beerbelly

I think Desharnais will surprise a lot of people maybe not this year but the other one. He asked for a 2 year contract and he got it. I also think that he can earn some PP time. This guy is smart and he has a great work ethic. I hope that he can step up like he did in every league. I also think that he will have to play as a winger.
I can imagine him put 40 pts this year and 50 pts next year. That would be great but it is not done.
This guy is paid 850 000$... Even if he gets 35 pts, it is very good. He also knows how to play without the puck. He will not be a problem defensively. I was really happy to see the habs give him a 1 way/ 2 year contract. I think that the fans, the teamates and the coaches will like him.
I hope that he will stay healthy.
Forget about the 80 pts, our best scorer last year was Plecanek with 57 Pts in 77 games...
Martin's system is a strong defence.

beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
There is more to physicality than the # of hits. AK's not afraid of hitting, but he's afraid of being hit. The occasion where he goes battling strong and hard in the corner for the puck are, to say the least, disappointing when you consider his size and overall skill. He hits, but he doesn't scrum.

Compare to David who went one on one against Chara, and actually defeated the guy. Or even Subban, who managed to protect the puck against Ovechkin or all people, get away with it, and make a scoring change pass.
If you're going to use one example for a player's physical engagement then you'd also have to acknowledge that Kostitsyn went one-on-one with Chara and not only beat him but also laid him out on the ice during the playoffs no less.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Joe Cole

I hope DD continues to develop.

I was really disappointed on how he was not a factor when the games got tougher at the end of the year. That said, it was his first taste of tighter checking late season NHL hockey.

The odds are stacked against him being a point a game player, I hope he surprises me.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

I say DD will have at least 1 80 point season in the NHL. I have followed his career for a while now and the guy is a scoring machine, very, very intelligent player. He is small but he is cut, he has the will to succeed and is competitive, you can't teach that.

He has had a lot of detractors and he has been proving them wrong at every level he has played at. Get on board now because this guy is going to make some of you eat crow, book it.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:43 AM
durojean

at the end of the season Desharnais played with Pouliot and White a lot.

I don't think that Desharnais's play was affected by stronger opposition but Pouliot's and White's were...

You could see the difference when one of these 2 players were on and the opposition could'nt stop that line.

In Desharnais's case... Each game he had at least one good scoring chance even when his teammates were off. Plus, each time he played with better players you could see he was a difference maker

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
I think Desharnais will surprise a lot of people maybe not this year but the other one. He asked for a 2 year contract and he got it. I also think that he can earn some PP time. This guy is smart and he has a great work ethic. I hope that he can step up like he did in every league. I also think that he will have to play as a winger.
I can imagine him put 40 pts this year and 50 pts next year. That would be great but it is not done.
This guy is paid 850 000$... Even if he gets 35 pts, it is very good. He also knows how to play without the puck. He will not be a problem defensively. I was really happy to see the habs give him a 1 way/ 2 year contract. I think that the fans, the teamates and the coaches will like him.
I hope that he will stay healthy.
Forget about the 80 pts, our best scorer last year was Plecanek with 57 Pts in 77 games...
Martin's system is a strong defence.
I think Desharnais will definitely get PP time this year. Probably quite a bit in fact.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I think Desharnais will definitely get PP time this year. Probably quite a bit in fact.
i
I would love to see DD on the LW of Eller with AK on the RW. I could see this line becoming the best line by year end.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
i
I would love to see DD on the LW of Eller with AK on the RW. I could see this line becoming the best line by year end.
Best line?!

I think you forgot the

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Habruti!

No I did not forget anything...
I did say I could see, which in my vocabulary means its a possibility not a certainty.

Just like Cammy, Plek, Cole and Pacioretty, Gomez, Gionta, this like has grit, and scoring habilities but I feel they will be bigger (Eller and Kost on the same line), and will be just as good defensively and offensively but they will play against weeker openents.

Sure they wont put up as many points because these guys wont get any PP time but 5 on 5 they will be efficient. Eller and Kostsitsyn are two big boddies they both skate extreemly well and both work very well along the boards. This to me is the perfect complement for a guy like David Desharnais, the receipe is there for him to succeed and if he does this line will have lots of success. For the first time in many years I can see 3 very good lines .... and a fourth line that has some character (Moen and White re-united).

Old
08-03-2011, 01:34 AM
NewHabsEra*

I think DD has some flaws in his game that will prevent him to be a consistent contributor at the NHL level, I see him more like a quality filler than a kid destined to establish himself as a solid NHLer.. He will put some pts on the scoresheet, but will be scored against too when he is on the ice.. You can print this post if you desagree with but Im pretty sure Im bang on here..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 08-03-2011 at 01:39 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:01 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think DD has some flaws in his game that will prevent him to be a consistent contributor at the NHL level, I see him more like a quality filler than a kid destined to establish himself as a solid NHLer.. He will put some pts on the scoresheet, but will be scored against too when he is on the ice.. You can print this post if you desagree with but Im pretty sure Im bang on here..
Its definitely a plausible scenario. Not a necessarily a pessimist 1 but rather realist. The most optimistics want him to succeed so they see big things in DD. He's un pti gars d'chez nous afterall. A warrior!

Bottom line my point is DD is pretty much on his own here. Yeh he can turn out to be a revelation and be a steady 50+ pts scorer in the NHL or! he can end up being a quality filler.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Don't get me wrong though, an amazing season for me would be DD having a season between 35 to 45pts. 45pts would be absolutly fantastic. For ones hoping for an 80pts season... well dream on. Its not impossible that he would achieve that in his career just very improbable.

One thing for sure is that everything is there for him to succeed this year, wether he does it or not, there are so many things that can come in his way that no one can tell at this point (e.g. injurries, production of the top two lines, a healthy Defense corps...).

Old
08-03-2011, 10:09 AM
neofury*

Everyone already knows he's the next Marty St. Louis and Darche... the next Lecavalier!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:10 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Everyone already knows he's the next Marty St. Louis and Darche... the next Lecavalier!
Pocket size XD

Old
08-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

DD is OK but I still have to be convinced about his upside, Right now I think some of the projections I read here are outlandish.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Don't get me wrong though, an amazing season for me would be DD having a season between 35 to 45pts. 45pts would be absolutly fantastic. For ones hoping for an 80pts season... well dream on. Its not impossible that he would achieve that in his career just very improbable.

One thing for sure is that everything is there for him to succeed this year, wether he does it or not, there are so many things that can come in his way that no one can tell at this point (e.g. injurries, production of the top two lines, a healthy Defense corps...).
I get the whole "keeping a cool head" and "staying conservative" thing, but come on: 45 pts absolutely fantastic? That's essentially what he did last season (over 82 games)

It's all about ice-time and the skill level of his linemates. If we're looking at DD-Eller-AK for most of the season and some PP time, I don't see why we wouldn't EXPECT 0.5-0.7 ppg

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote