HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers and JT Miller Reach Deal

Old
07-29-2011, 06:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
The Rangers have 47 SPCs. If Pashnin and Johnson sign. 49 SPCs.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 06:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

JT Miller and Shane McColgan will take part in the US WJC camp next week. August 6-13.

Mike Sullivan will be part of the camp coaching staff. He will take an up close look at Miller.

Quote:
GOALIES -- Jack Campbell (Stars), Mac Carruth (Blackhawks), John Gibson (Ducks), Andy Iles.

DEFENSEMEN -- Adam Clendening (Blackhawks), Brian Cooper (2012 draft eligible), Justin Faulk (Hurricanes), Derek Forbort (Kings), Kevin Gravel (Kings), Justin Holl (Blackhawks), Stephen Johns (Blackhawks), Seth Jones (2013 draft eligible), Austin Levi (Hurricanes), Scott Mayfield (Islanders), Jonathon Merrill (Devils), Connor Murphy (Coyotes), Robbie Russo (Islanders), Jared Tinordi (Canadiens).

FORWARDS -- Kenny Agostino (Penguins), Bill Arnold (Flames), Chase Balisy (2012 Draft eligible), Tyler Biggs (Maple Leafs), Nick Bjugstad (Panthers), Reid Boucher (Devils), Connor Brickley (Panthers), Charlie Coyle (Wild); Emerson Etem (Ducks), Brian Ferlin (Bruins), Rocco Grimaldi (Panthers), Kevin Hayes (Blackhawks), Jared Knight (Bruins); Phil Lane (Coyotes), Shane McColgan (Rangers), Michael Mersch (Kings), Jonathan Miller (Rangers), Matthew Nieto (Sharks), Stefan Noesen (Senators), Shane Prince (Senators), Bryan Rust (Penguins), Nicholas Shore (Kings), Vincent Trocheck (Panthers), Thomas Tynan (Blue Jackets), Austin Watson (Predators), Jason Zucker (Wild).
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569371

Old
07-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
JT Miller and Shane McColgan will take part in the US WJC camp next week. August 6-13.

Mike Sullivan will be part of the camp coaching staff. He will take an up close look at Miller.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569371
nice, lets hope he tears it up

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:27 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
nice, lets hope he tears it up
He dominated the U-18s. Im expecting this years U-20 to be his coming out party.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:30 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
My cousin seen this kid play and said hes the real deal....how long before he sees the NHL???
Two years.

One in Plymouth of the OHL, one (or half) in the AHL.

I suspect they will give him a long look in camp September 2012, weather he starts in the NHL or starts in the AHL.

Kid is on a fast track.

Old
07-29-2011, 08:43 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I know not NYR related but wasn't Galchenyuk supposed to be suiting up for USA or is he sticking with Russia?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:12 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

JT Miller officially signed with Plymouth

Quote:
Plymouth Whalers President, General Manager and Head Coach Mike Vellucci announced the signing of 18-year-old forward J.T. Miller, who was originally selected by the Whalers in the fifth round (93th overall) of the 2009 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection.
Quote:
J.T. is a skilled power forward, said Vellucci. He already plays what we call Whaler hockey. Given a little time, he should fit in well in Plymouth.

Im very excited to finally get to Plymouth, Miller said Thursday in a telephone interview. Ive had to make a couple of tough decisions over the last few weeks, but Im happy to get up there and am ready to play. The two other first-rounders (Stefan Noesen and Rickard Rakell) on the team are great players. Plymouth looks like a strong team with one of the best coaches in the league (Mike Vellucci) if not the best, in my opinion. Ive seen Plymouth play a few times, especially when Tyler Seguin was there, and it was great to watch.
http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...der-j-t-miller

Old
07-29-2011, 09:31 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I know not NYR related but wasn't Galchenyuk supposed to be suiting up for USA or is he sticking with Russia?
USA last I heard

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
1. J.T. Miller - Plymouth Whalers
The first player this offseason to de-commit from an NCAA program (North Dakota) and join the OHL, Miller is poised to make a large offensive impact in Plymouth. The 15th overall pick by the New York Rangers, Miller is a solid two way player who'll fit right into the Whalers line up alongside the likes of Stefan Noesen and Rickard Rakell. For those who watched the Under 18's last year, I felt like Miller was the U.S.' best forward at the tournament and I look forward to the energy he's going to bring next year.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...-ohl-part.html

Old
07-29-2011, 07:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
And while its highly unlikely the Rangers would have him start in the AHL this season, its quite possible he could make the jump after one junior season, much like former Kitchener Rangers forward Jeremy Morin did with the Chicago Blackhawks farm team.

If hes ready to play in the American league I fully support whatever the New York Rangers want to do with him, said Vellucci. Were going to develop him hopefully we develop him well enough that he goes to the NHL next year and we dont even have to talk about the (AHL). Losing guys to a higher level has never bothered me thats my job, to get them to the next level.

The faster I can do that, the better our program is going to be because players are going to want to play for me and for us if they know that I have their best interests moving forward.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc..._ice_age072911

The Rangers regretted having Grachev play in the AHL as a 19 year old. That is a discussion for next year.

Old
07-29-2011, 08:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc..._ice_age072911

The Rangers regretted having Grachev play in the AHL as a 19 year old. That is a discussion for next year.
Different players, though.

Grachev couldn't play both sides of the puck, and when he couldn't plow through grown men like he did against kids in the OHL, he wasn't the same player. They kept asking him to work on his defensive game.

Miller is a playmaker, he's a two way responsible player. He doesn't have to rely on size and strength, even though he does have good size and strength, he can play the game.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:19 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
hes playing for the USA in the ivan hlinka tounament although that is not an official IIHF tournament so it doesnt lock him into the USA.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:21 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Whalers coach/general manager Mike Vellucci said he’d already spoken with the Rangers about Miller’s role next season.

“He’s going to play a lot of minutes, more minutes than he probably would have played in college this year,” Vellucci said. “He’s going to play 23 or 24 minutes a game. He’s going to play 68 games, so double the amount he would have in college.

“And he’ll play a pro-style play, with playoffs a best-of-seven series.”

Vellucci said Miller will start out playing center, but will likely end up getting time at all three forward spots this season. He’ll also get time on the power play and penalty kill.
http://www.freep.com/article/2011073...rst-round-pick

Can't ask for anything more.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:27 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
How do you find these articles RB? You're a wizard man

All great news...trying not to raise my expectations with Miller...I'll be ecstatic if he's near a PPG this season.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:33 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
How do you find these articles RB? You're a wizard man

All great news...trying not to raise my expectations with Miller...I'll be ecstatic if he's near a PPG this season.
I'll be quite disappointed if he scores a PPG this season lol. And I really don't have high expectations, that's just very low expectations.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:24 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I'll be quite disappointed if he scores a PPG this season lol. And I really don't have high expectations, that's just very low expectations.
Only two guys on the Whalers (Czarnik, Noesen) were at over a point per game this season.

If JT Miller can hit the OHL his rookie season, contribute at a near point per game clip while playing 20+ minutes a night in all three situations, that's a season I can definitely be excited about.

He wasn't even at a PPG in the USDP or USHL

Old
07-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Only two guys on the Whalers (Czarnik, Noesen) were at over a point per game this season.

If JT Miller can hit the OHL his rookie season, contribute at a near point per game clip while playing 20+ minutes a night in all three situations, that's a season I can definitely be excited about.

That's because the USHL is one of the lowest scoring junior leagues in the world.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 02:01 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

Scoring in the OHL is much higher, and he'll be playing on a line with 2 other very good players. Noesen was drafted after Miller, and scored over a PPG in his draft year. If Miller only manages a PPG (which is by no means bad, it's just not that impressive) I will definitely be pessimistic about his upside.

PPG at the age of 19 in the OHL is nothing to get excited about, especially if said player is a first rounder. That's part of the reason Werek was traded, and why everyone and their mothers is so low on Bourque.

Old
07-30-2011, 03:00 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Scoring in the OHL is much higher, and he'll be playing on a line with 2 other very good players. Noesen was drafted after Miller, and scored over a PPG in his draft year. If Miller only manages a PPG (which is by no means bad, it's just not that impressive) I will definitely be pessimistic about his upside.

PPG at the age of 19 in the OHL is nothing to get excited about, especially if said player is a first rounder. That's part of the reason Werek was traded, and why everyone and their mothers is so low on Bourque.
My expectations on his scoring are low, but I'll gladly eat that plate of crow if I'm wrong

Old
07-30-2011, 03:54 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
My expectations on his scoring are low, but I'll gladly eat that plate of crow if I'm wrong
Haha it's a win win situation for you.

Old
07-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Claxton

Just updated the wiki for Miller and Plymouth for reference.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
#rangers Jonathan Miller 3 years / 832.5 avg + 277 500 SB (2 way)
https://twitter.com/#!/renhockey/sta...22040832172032

Old
08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Looks like no performance bonuses then? Good call RB...great for the cap hit!

Old
08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Saying all the right things, all the things we definitely want to hear.

If he's genuine about this, then I for one, am relieved, and very happy. Though, I still like the idea of that sort of development against older more physically mature players in the NCAA more... but its hard to argue when you read things like this from the Plymouth Whalers coach.

Lots of minutes, all situations, big role, U-20 WJC, big year for Miller. Coming out party. People will see how underrated he has been and what a great value pick he was at #15.

Old
08-04-2011, 08:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Capgeek has JT Miller with a $1.275M cap hit. Performance bonuses in years 2 and 3. renhockey doesn't include bonuses in his tweets.$925,000 max. $525,000 in bonuses per the last 2 years. No bonus in first year.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 08-04-2011 at 08:41 AM.