HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and 2012 UFA possibilities to add another scorer

Old
07-30-2011, 03:48 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I would be very surprised if Kreider does not make it at some point in 2012-13. Maybe he'll start in Hartford, but by mid-season when injuries hit, he'll be called up. He'll be almost 22 by then and even if he's not perfectly developed, he can always start in a Sjostrom-role.
Kreider as a bigger, stronger--maybe even faster and more likely to run somebody over version of Sjostrom. I don't want to knock his BC coaches but I think he'd be a lot better off with professionals coaching him now--getting areas of his game up to speed faster. Though I do understand why he's returning to BC.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Kreider as a bigger, stronger--maybe even faster and more likely to run somebody over version of Sjostrom. I don't want to knock his BC coaches but I think he'd be a lot better off with professionals coaching him now--getting areas of his game up to speed faster. Though I do understand why he's returning to BC.

I am not saying he will max out as Sjostrom. I'm saying that in his rookie season, he can at the very least begin in a Sjostrom-type role.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 04:22 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Same thing was said when Kovalchuk hit the market. Glen didn't do ****.
That is because he couldn't with the cap restraints he was facing. Kovy isn't on the same level as Parise either. Ilya is a one-dimensional player who is not really a typical leader on the ice. Parise is just out of this world and the Rangers will have cap space unless they bring in someone at the deadline.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 04:25 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
I mean parise just signed a 1yr $6m deal. He is definatly worth a 4yr $5.5-6m per year contract. He's a 1st line player and exactly what we need. We will have about 7m in capspace this summer. It's nothing but capspace and depending upon how gabby plays we may not have to resign him for 7m,
$5.5-6M? He got 6 million after a season when he didn't even play... lol. Parise won't be any less than $7.25M per (probably more). Teams will line up across the league to sign him and drive up his price. AND he is worth every penny.

Old
07-30-2011, 04:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
That is because he couldn't with the cap restraints he was facing. Kovy isn't on the same level as Parise either. Ilya is a one-dimensional player who is not really a typical leader on the ice. Parise is just out of this world and the Rangers will have cap space unless they bring in someone at the deadline.
One thing we've also learned is that there is a very definite style & mentality that the organization is trying to instill throughout all levels. From everything I've heard, Kovy didn't fit that bill at all. Parise, on the other hand, is pretty much the poster boy for what the Rangers want all their players to become...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 05:07 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I am not saying he will max out as Sjostrom. I'm saying that in his rookie season, he can at the very least begin in a Sjostrom-type role.
I understood it that way too.

Old
07-30-2011, 05:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
One thing we've also learned is that there is a very definite style & mentality that the organization is trying to instill throughout all levels. From everything I've heard, Kovy didn't fit that bill at all. Parise, on the other hand, is pretty much the poster boy for what the Rangers want all their players to become...
Yeah, I don't buy that at all. I would wager my life that if they had the cap space, Kovalchuk would have been a Ranger today. Overseas, there was plenty of talk that Kovalchuk was in discussions with the Rangers, and I'm inclined to believe that. They should never have signed Gaborik, and just waited for Kovalchuk. They were total morons if they had any doubts that Kovalchuk was going to leave Atlanta. Big blunder.

Don't get me wrong, Parise is a better all-around player, smarter, more dedicated, all of that good stuff. Definitely the poser boy for what the Rangers want...and what every team wants. Everybody wants a Parise. I don't think the difference between the two would have stopped the Rangers from getting Kovalchuk if they had the means to do so.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Yeah, I don't buy that at all. I would wager my life that if they had the cap space, Kovalchuk would have been a Ranger today. Overseas, there was plenty of talk that Kovalchuk was in discussions with the Rangers, and I'm inclined to believe that. They should never have signed Gaborik, and just waited for Kovalchuk. They were total morons if they had any doubts that Kovalchuk was going to leave Atlanta. Big blunder.

Don't get me wrong, Parise is a better all-around player, smarter, more dedicated, all of that good stuff. Definitely the poser boy for what the Rangers want...and what every team wants. Everybody wants a Parise. I don't think the difference between the two would have stopped the Rangers from getting Kovalchuk if they had the means to do so.

The only problem is that we are unlikely to get Parise unless he purposely leads the Devils to believe they can sign him just to make sure that his new team would not be weakened by having to surrender assets to get him. Not sure if he's that tricky.

What I think will happen is that Lou will try to negotiate until February, then will deal him away for whatever assets he can get, which will be significant.

I would gladly trade Anisimov, Kreider, McDonagh and a #1 for Parise, assuming we first sign him, but we will never have a chance to do that because of the rivalry. But I assume another team would be willing to give up 3-4 good young players/prospects for Parise.

The only way we get Parise is if he is dead set on hitting free agency, and even then we are in the mix with another half a dozen teams trying to outbid us.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:21 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Hey, if you recall, I was all for signing Kovy and had done all the math to prove how the team could make it happen. I got into many long arguments with the anti-Kovy crowd.

All I can tell you is what I heard from a respected long-time hockey writer. We went to school together a long time ago and I don't talk to him much (and try not to abuse the relationship), but I did ask him about Kovy that year - a month or so before the trade deadline, if I recall. His response was something to the effect of "no way - they have no interest. Torts does not want him."

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:47 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
The only problem is that we are unlikely to get Parise unless he purposely leads the Devils to believe they can sign him just to make sure that his new team would not be weakened by having to surrender assets to get him. Not sure if he's that tricky.

What I think will happen is that Lou will try to negotiate until February, then will deal him away for whatever assets he can get, which will be significant.

I would gladly trade Anisimov, Kreider, McDonagh and a #1 for Parise, assuming we first sign him, but we will never have a chance to do that because of the rivalry. But I assume another team would be willing to give up 3-4 good young players/prospects for Parise.

The only way we get Parise is if he is dead set on hitting free agency, and even then we are in the mix with another half a dozen teams trying to outbid us.
Too much. Anisimov, choice of Sauer or Del Zotto, the 1st--maybe something else. No need to overpay. The Rangers will be fine on the track they're on with keeping all the above--your deal or mine. There's no guarantee. They might get there faster with Parise or around the same time with the rest. No need to solve the Devils depth problems for them. If he's going to go elsewhere he'll go. And if he's going UFA anyway--try to grab him then and keep all our assets.

I like the idea of high profile UFA's--just not too many and you have to always have a young foundation propping it all up. We'll have room for about one more and you have to figure Staal as well going to be high profile the next time his comes around. You need indians too. The right chiefs and high quality indians. I believe we're doing a good job of that now.

Old
07-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
Hypothetically, would the Rangers even have cap space for Parise?
We'll be close. We could make some.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Next year:

Parise - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Thomas
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
Erixon - MDZ
That is a Cup team.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:10 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Priority 1: Parise
Priority 2: Parise
Priority 3: Parise
Priority 4: Parise
Priority 5: Parise
Priority 6: Parise
Priority 7: Parise
Priority 8: Parise
Priority 9: Parise
Priority 10: Parise

Lack of Parise on your list is downright embarrassing.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Lack of Parise on your list is downright embarrassing.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Ola

Let's be serious, because this is a topi who could digest 1000s of threads here at HF over the coming year -- -- is Parise even a option?

I mean, after the Driver, Gomez and Holik fiascos -- why would Parise even bother to come here?

Reasons for not coming here:
1. He would piss of and downright betrayal his current fan base.

2. He would face a lot of pressure, you just do not get any good will by taking the bridge over to Manhattan.

3. Options! What team would not bid for him? Colorado? Detroit? Philly?

Look, we are a good option and could be a even better option next year -- but there are other very good options too. I mean even if we weren't worst rivals today -- it's still perfectly possible that we wouldn't be the front runners.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 07:03 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Let's be serious, because this is a topi who could digest 1000s of threads here at HF over the coming year -- -- is Parise even a option?

I mean, after the Driver, Gomez and Holik fiascos -- why would Parise even bother to come here?

2. He would face a lot of pressure, you just do not get any good will by taking the bridge over to Manhattan.

Look, we are a good option and could be a even better option next year -- but there are other very good options too. I mean even if we weren't worst rivals today -- it's still perfectly possible that we wouldn't be the front runners.
Good points. Past history UFA pickups from New Jersey have never worked out. Parise might be different but there's a sideshow aspect to it all that is definitely a negative.

And to be honest if Shea Weber is available I'd be more interested in him than Parise. Rangers should have enough cap space to make one major UFA pickup next year--if they can or it's worthwhile.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:10 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Good points. Past history UFA pickups from New Jersey have never worked out. Parise might be different but there's a sideshow aspect to it all that is definitely a negative.

And to be honest if Shea Weber is available I'd be more interested in him than Parise. Rangers should have enough cap space to make one major UFA pickup next year--if they can or it's worthwhile.
Isn't Shea Weber still a RFA next year? Pretty sure he's not a UFA until after 2012-2013.

Ryan Suter is the big ticket UFA defenseman next July 1st.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
An aging Bruce Driver? A terribly miscast and overpaid Bobby Holik? A clueless Scott Gomez? Parise is better than all of these players combined on their best day.

This is a smaller example of a flawed theory that emerged during all the Brad Richards discussions - that the Rangers are simply "cursed" when it comes to signing UFA's, so they simply shouldnt do it. I guess its a lot easier to justify the disasters that way than just admitting it was terrible player evaluation by Rangers brass. These decisions need to be made on a player by player basis rather than some sort of superstition.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:42 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
An aging Bruce Driver? A terribly miscast and overpaid Bobby Holik? A clueless Scott Gomez? Parise is better than all of these players combined on their best day.

This is a smaller example of a flawed theory that emerged during all the Brad Richards discussions - that the Rangers are simply "cursed" when it comes to signing UFA's, so they simply shouldnt do it. I guess its a lot easier to justify the disasters that way than just admitting it was terrible player evaluation by Rangers brass. These decisions need to be made on a player by player basis rather than some sort of superstition.

I'm actually confident now that we have Gorton "pulling Sather's strings" regarding UFAs.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:

What is interesting about that package is that Lou might not be able turn it down, no matter what the rivalry issue is. I'm not sure many teams can offer a 2nd line center, a future blazing fast LW stud, a future #1 D, and a first. I wonder if Slats would even have the canaries to offer that much.

Last edited by xxxZENxxx: 08-01-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old
08-01-2011, 08:53 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
Hypothetically, would the Rangers even have cap space for Parise?
Pretty much all the junk on the roster (sans Redden) have expiring contracts. Feds & Emmy are on 1 year deals and Prust can be re-signed for peanuts. We would have plenty of cap space, given that we have many cheap kids on the way next season to take up other roster spots.

Old
08-01-2011, 08:54 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
What is interesting about that package is that Lou might not be able turn it down, so matter the rivalry issue. I'm not sure many teams can offer a 2nd line center, a future blazing fast LW stud, a future #1 D, and a first. I wonder if Slats would even have the canaries to offer that much.
No way Sather would offer that much for a guy who could be a UFA next summer.

Anyway, I don't see Parise on the Rangers ever, for multiple reasons.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:59 AM
xxxZENxxx

Just a note, since I see many talking about this... remember that there will be no more contracts over (let's say) 5 years once the new CBA is ratified. And there won't be any more ways to lower cap hits either, given the new rules they want (and will) put in place to prevent circumvention. I know some will say that we don't know this for sure yet, but the NHL will not allow the league to run without those types of rules in place. You can take that to the bank. So offering Parise a BR type contract that lowers the cap hit won't be possible anymore. Unfortunately, we would probably be looking at 5 years and $7.5+ per. It might be even much worse, but he is still worth it IMO. Signing Parise gets us as close to the Stanely Cup as you can get.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:00 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

2012-13 New York Rangers

LINE 1: Chris Kreider - Brad Richards - Marian Gaborik

LINE 1A: Brandon Dubinsky - Artem Anisimov - Ryan Callahan

LINE 1B: Zach Parise - Derek Stepan - Christian Thomas

LINE 4: Michael Rupp - Brian Boyle - Brandon Prust

Marc Staal - Dan Girardi

Michael Sauer - Michael Del Zotto

Tim Erixon - Ryan McDonagh

Henrik Lundqvist
Chad Johnson

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:02 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Why wouldn't he want to come here??? The Rangers have a team full of players like him and the coach runs a system that perfectly fits his ability. The team also has gaping hole on a first line next to two pretty good players named Richards & Gaborik. Parise won't care about ex-Devils and how they fared here, nor will he care about the pressure. Our only obstacle will be to outbid other teams, that by the way, probably don't have as much upside as this current Rangers team does.