HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather appreciation thread

Old
07-30-2011, 06:31 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
We won the cup in 94. In 97, we went to the conference finals. We missed the playoffs for 3 years after that and Neil Smith was fired.

Sather took over and missed the playoffs for 4 straight years and the team had no direction whatsoever. He kept his job.

After the lockout, we finally made the playoffs again. We've made the playoffs 5 times in 6 years, but we've only won 2 playoff series.

Ultimately, I don't care what moves Sather makes. I only care that they work. The point of all this is to win and this team hasn't done nearly enough of that under Sather. Are they going in the right direction now? They seem to be. But it shouldn't have taken 11 years to get here. Sather should have been fired long ago.

Now that we actually have some competent people in place beneath him, it's time for him to retire as GM. If he wants to stay on as President, fine, but let Clark and Gorton run the whole show.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We won the cup in 94. In 97, we went to the conference finals. We missed the playoffs for 3 years after that and Neil Smith was fired.

Sather took over and missed the playoffs for 4 straight years and the team had no direction whatsoever. He kept his job.

After the lockout, we finally made the playoffs again. We've made the playoffs 5 times in 6 years, but we've only won 2 playoff series.

Ultimately, I don't care what moves Sather makes. I only care that they work. The point of all this is to win and this team hasn't done nearly enough of that under Sather. Are they going in the right direction now? They seem to be. But it shouldn't have taken 11 years to get here. Sather should have been fired long ago.

Now that we actually have some competent people in place beneath him, it's time for him to retire as GM. If he wants to stay on as President, fine, but let Clark and Gorton run the whole show.
Terrific post. And by stepping away and leaving things to competent people, Sather can actually re-invent his legacy here.

07-30-2011, 10:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
dolan hired sather. is he a good owner?
Dolan is an egomaniac and seemingly a jerk. But is he a good owner? Yeah, he kind of is. He's invested a ton of money in the team — from building a state of the art training facility to giving his GM money to spend to spending money to paying get rid of mistakes (6M for a defenseman to play minor league hockey?!?) I mean isn't the willingness to spend money and invest in the franchise the number one thing you want from an owner?

We can kill him for keeping Sather for way too long, but I wouldn't trust him to hire the right replacement.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Terrific post. And by stepping away and leaving things to competent people, Sather can actually re-invent his legacy here.
Look, we finally have the right people in place (which he has hired, so give credit where credit is due, just as blame was due for major blunders like Low, Trottier, etc.), a deep farm, and the team is on the cusp of contention for a number of years. Why would he leave now?? For another GM to come in and reap the benefits? How would that re-invent his legacy? I really don't get this reasoning.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
really never thought id see this thread. after more than a decade the guy finally gets it

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
Look, we finally have the right people in place (which he has hired, so give credit where credit is due, just as blame was due for major blunders like Low, Trottier, etc.), a deep farm, and the team is on the cusp of contention for a number of years. Why would he leave now?? For another GM to come in and reap the benefits? How would that re-invent his legacy? I really don't get this reasoning.
Stepping away is win-win for him. If the team falters, it's someone else's failure. If they win, he was the architect.

Ernie Acorsi gets as much credit for the Giants Super Bowl win in 08. It vindicated his trade for Eli.

If Sather steps down he leaves the team in better shape than he inherited it. A far cry from the "mouse or lion" days.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Shadowrunner

Quote:
Stepping away is win-win for him. If the team falters, it's someone else's failure. If they win, he was the architect.

Ernie Acorsi gets as much credit for the Giants Super Bowl win in 08. It vindicated his trade for Eli.

If Sather steps down he leaves the team in better shape than he inherited it. A far cry from the "mouse or lion" days.
I'm not convinced. If the team wins, he gets the credit. If the team falters, he gets the blame. The buck stops with him either way. But I can't see him stepping down now that we finally have something resembling a contender.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:58 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
If Sather steps down he leaves the team in better shape than he inherited it.
Yeah, but only after first driving it as far into the ground as possible (and not in a good way, one that would have resulted in the acquisition of franchise players to build around) and wasting a decade of the franchise's existence.

A decade of just pure waste. Nothing that even resembled success.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Shadowrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Yeah, but only after first driving it as far into the ground as possible (and not in a good way, one that would have resulted in the acquisition of franchise players to build around) and wasting a decade of the franchise's existence.

A decade of just pure waste. Nothing that even resembled success.
Not to get into the same argument we've been having for what feels like years now, but I'd argue that making the playoffs 5 times out of 6 post lockout while restocking the cupboard, i.e. rebuilding while being competitive, would be construed as success, to some degree at least, by many people.

Old
07-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
The fact that Glen Sather has a job and Neil Smith doesn't freaks me out. Smith built a wining team in a place no one else could do it and he gets no interest after? I'm telling you something is up with that.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 02:09 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Dolan is an egomaniac and seemingly a jerk. But is he a good owner? Yeah, he kind of is. He's invested a ton of money in the team from building a state of the art training facility to giving his GM money to spend to spending money to paying get rid of mistakes (6M for a defenseman to play minor league hockey?!?) I mean isn't the willingness to spend money and invest in the franchise the number one thing you want from an owner?

We can kill him for keeping Sather for way too long, but I wouldn't trust him to hire the right replacement.
have to disagree here. a guy like steinbrenner and jerry jones (among others), those are good owners. guys that only care about winning and are constantly involved with the team. dolan runs the team like a business. the only reason he cares about playoffs is to make more money, not to win the cup. the fact that sather still has a job proves he is not a good owner imo.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 02:12 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Ugh, yes he actually does. Why he choose the Rangers in his own words:

Richards thinks Dolan is a good owner. You disagree with Richards, sorry if you wish the facts were otherwise.
stable ownership does not mean dolan is a good owner. it means he is the owner and will be for a long time.

the guy isnt going to sign here and say the team has a bad owner. he said all the right things.

Old
07-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
stable ownership does not mean dolan is a good owner. it means he is the owner and will be for a long time.

the guy isnt going to sign here and say the team has a bad owner. he said all the right things.
I can't believe I have to remind you that he listed ownership as important right from the start...

Dolan invests in the team. That's all you can ask for from an owner. Most fans don't like him for ticket prices, but that doesn't have anything to do with the team side of things.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 03:50 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
I can't believe I have to remind you that he listed ownership as important right from the start...

Dolan invests in the team. That's all you can ask for from an owner. Most fans don't like him for ticket prices, but that doesn't have anything to do with the team side of things.
stable ownership as in better than dallas. wow what a compliment.

Old
07-30-2011, 05:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
Not to get into the same argument we've been having for what feels like years now, but I'd argue that making the playoffs 5 times out of 6 post lockout while restocking the cupboard, i.e. rebuilding while being competitive, would be construed as success, to some degree at least, by many people.
Oh, I'm sure that it was. To me, aside from last season, (because finally, we had the semblance of a real team forming), it felt like one big, neverending slap in the face. Teams that had no chance of going anywhere, teams that, outside of one or two players, played some of the most boring and predictable hockey I've ever had the misfortune of watching due to the almost unbelievable lack of depth, skill and talent. Even the flimsy argument about "valuable playoff experience" really has little merit when you consider how few of the players from the 2005-2008 teams are still here, and how little experience the ones that are have gotten since, despite all those playoff appearances, there haven't been very many wins, after all.

July 1st 2007 and July 1st 2008...As a sports fan, I've never felt so insulted in my life as I did on those days. It was as if the team that I've lived and died with since I was a little kid, the team I pour my heart and soul into (not to mention my money) every year, was in turn saying to me, "you've stuck with us all this time, through nothing but misery, now we're going to reward you by showing you that the only bigger ****ing moron than the people in charge here is you, because you're going to be paying more money for this steaming, flaming pile of feces we're going to pretend is a hockey team."

Quote:

My, what incredibly low standards years of cheering for this crappy franchise have yielded, eh? THAT'S all you can ask for from an owner? I could have sworn that aside from not being thrifty, you might expect that an owner would be interested in hiring the right people to run his franchise, and that you might want to see your owner also make sure that if the people he does hire are ****ing his **** up, that he'll understand when the right time to let them go is. This guy hired a dude that had just spent ten years proving that he had no idea what he was doing, and then allowed the guy to continue working for another ten years where, again, he proved that he was as capable of running a hockey team as Buster Bluth is of reading a map. "So, I'm pretty sure the blue is land...right?"

Old
07-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
My, what incredibly low standards years of cheering for this crappy franchise have yielded, eh? THAT'S all you can ask for from an owner? I could have sworn that aside from not being thrifty, you might expect that an owner would be interested in hiring the right people to run his franchise, and that you might want to see your owner also make sure that if the people he does hire are ****ing his **** up, that he'll understand when the right time to let them go is. This guy hired a dude that had just spent ten years proving that he had no idea what he was doing, and then allowed the guy to continue working for another ten years where, again, he proved that he was as capable of running a hockey team as Buster Bluth is of reading a map. "So, I'm pretty sure the blue is land...right?"
Yeah, owners who are actively involved in the day to day minutiae of the franchise are the best kind of owners...

All I want from an owner is a guy who reinvests in the team, but stays out of it's workings. Anything more is just gravy.

Old
07-30-2011, 05:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Tell that to Islander fans.

Old
07-30-2011, 05:58 PM
chip chipperson*

dolan runs the team like a business, not a guy that wants to win. that is why sather still has a job.

Old
07-30-2011, 05:59 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Tell that to Islander fans.
i will. hope your ready for some infraction worthy posts

Old
07-30-2011, 06:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Yeah, owners who are actively involved in the day to day minutiae of the franchise are the best kind of owners...

All I want from an owner is a guy who reinvests in the team, but stays out of it's workings. Anything more is just gravy.
Haha, man. You're really something. One of a kind. You'd adapt easily to life in a third world country, I would guess. So easy to please. "Hey, we don't have any clean running water...but at least we have dirty water, and plenty of it! Hooray for the local warlord!"

The hiring of the person who is running your franchise is "day to day minutia" to you? It's bad enough that he hired maybe the worst possible person out there for the job, but that he didn't fire him 3 or 4 years later once it was abundantly clear what was happening was a monumental disaster is again a sign of a failing as an owner, and a tad bit more important than "day to day minutia." Not being involved in such "minutia" is why the Rangers haven't fielded a good hockey team since the 20th century.

Old
07-30-2011, 06:27 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
dolan runs the team like a business, not a guy that wants to win. that is why sather still has a job.
Bingo. And that is why he is viewed as a 'bad' owner. Strictly from a financial point of view, Dolan is a fine owner - but, in regards to how he runs his hockey team, and the teams he has allowed Sather to ice, he's horrible. He doesn't give a **** about the team, or the fans - all he cares about is the $$$.

The fact that Sather is still running this team after winning 2 playoff series under his 'guidance' is a testament to that.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Funny thing is, for all the heat he's taken, (deservingly so for the most part) Sather is always one step away from being a hero here. One Cup is all it takes. I still to this day have nothing but love for Neil smith because he went and brought back the big one. This isn't the Yankees; a championship is really a lifetime event with this team.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Haha, man. You're really something. One of a kind. You'd adapt easily to life in a third world country, I would guess. So easy to please. "Hey, we don't have any clean running water...but at least we have dirty water, and plenty of it! Hooray for the local warlord!"

The hiring of the person who is running your franchise is "day to day minutia" to you? It's bad enough that he hired maybe the worst possible person out there for the job, but that he didn't fire him 3 or 4 years later once it was abundantly clear what was happening was a monumental disaster is again a sign of a failing as an owner, and a tad bit more important than "day to day minutia." Not being involved in such "minutia" is why the Rangers haven't fielded a good hockey team since the 20th century.

Things are finally going amazingly with the Rangers and you're still unhappy. Things are better with this team than they have been since they last won the cup and yet you're still a total bummer. We're totally on the right track and it's just not fast enough for you. How quickly the world owes you something, there are 29 other teams out there, we can't win every year and we can't change what has already happened, it doesn't mean you have to be bitter about things all the time.

Old
07-30-2011, 07:28 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

Things are finally going amazingly with the Rangers and you're still unhappy. Things are better with this team than they have been since they last won the cup and yet you're still a total bummer. We're totally on the right track and it's just not fast enough for you. How quickly the world owes you something, there are 29 other teams out there, we can't win every year and we can't change what has already happened, it doesn't mean you have to be bitter about things all the time.
you are easily pleased. sather doesnt get a free pass because the people around him became better. to defend sather is to defend losing

Old
07-30-2011, 07:28 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Funny, because here I was thinking that Dolan is paying two guys about $10 million (Redden and Drury) to NOT play NHL hockey this year. Dolan has a lot of flaws as an owner, but your criticism is just false.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote