HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price Ranked 5th In NHL Goalie Ranking

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Price Ranked 5th In NHL Goalie Ranking

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp9870

Yahoo did their annual goalie rankings and Price found himself at number five. Interesting in many ways, especially as we look forward to Sochi. He's the top ranked Canadian. In front of him are two Americans, a Fin, and a Swede.

My own opinion is that this is a pretty fair list. Hard to argue with #1 despite my own personal bias, given what he's accomplished lately. I'm a bit surprised by Rinne, but I cannot say I pay much attention to the Preds, so I'll defer to others there.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:09 PM
thewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post

Yahoo did their annual goalie rankings and Price found himself at number five. Interesting in many ways, especially as we look forward to Sochi. He's the top ranked Canadian. In front of him are two Americans, a Fin, and a Swede.

My own opinion is that this is a pretty fair list. Hard to argue with #1 despite my own personal bias, given what he's accomplished lately. I'm a bit surprised by Rinne, but I cannot say I pay much attention to the Preds, so I'll defer to others there.
I didnt click on the link but let me guess that... Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist and Pekka Rinne are rank ahead of him!!

Old
07-30-2011, 10:25 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:

Rinne's a beaaaast

Old
07-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
I didnt click on the link but let me guess that... Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist and Pekka Rinne are rank ahead of him!!
Yeah, but ranked: 1) Thomas, 2) Rinne, 3) Lundqvist and 4) Miller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Rinne's a beaaaast
Not saying he's bad, or anything, but #2 seems a bit premature. I'd argue the same had Price gone so high either. Both Rinne and Price broke through and deserved the bump, but one huge year shouldn't displace guys like Miller & Lundqvist from the top.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:40 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Yeah, but ranked: 1) Thomas, 2) Rinne, 3) Lundqvist and 4) Miller...

Not saying he's bad, or anything, but #2 seems a bit premature. I'd argue the same had Price gone so high either. Both Rinne and Price broke through and deserved the bump, but one huge year shouldn't displace guys like Miller & Lundqvist from the top.
Agreed, but I think 3 or 4years down the road, the new young goaltenders will be looking to catch price as the number 1 goalie on this list. I always thought Price's inconsistency was all between the ears, never denied his superb talent, last year he proved me completely wrong and performed at a level I didn't think he would get to with the habs, I thought the fans/media ect would eventually destroy his confidence, especially if he got off to a rocky start after the Halak trade, he didn't seem bothered at all and actually excelled beyond what I thought he could, given the circumstances.

Easily the best move/player Bob Gainey has ever made was supporting this kid no matter what. He knew he would eventually rise above, I wish I had of seen it too, but I thought he was a bit fragile mentally and boy was I wrong.

I still support Halak and think he will become a top goaltender as well, but I think it's fair to say without a doubt now, we couldn't go wrong by picking Carey Price.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:42 PM
BLBarmada

Price is the best in the world I'm but biased but I've been told by multiple NHL scouts multiple times that he is

Old
07-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Galcherock
Scouting for size

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Agreed, but I think 3 or 4years down the road, the new young goaltenders will be looking to catch price as the number 1 goalie on this list. I always thought Price's inconsistency was all between the ears, never denied his superb talent, last year he proved me completely wrong and performed at a level I didn't think he would get to with the habs, I thought the fans/media ect would eventually destroy his confidence, especially if he got off to a rocky start after the Halak trade, he didn't seem bothered at all and actually excelled beyond what I thought he could, given the circumstances.

Easily the best move/player Bob Gainey has ever made was supporting this kid no matter what. He knew he would eventually rise above, I wish I had of seen it too, but I thought he was a bit fragile mentally and boy was I wrong.

I still support Halak and think he will become a top goaltender as well, but I think it's fair to say without a doubt now, we couldn't go wrong by picking Carey Price.
Can't deny that i'm admiring your honesty on this one. Not much people would be able to recognize that they made a mistake by thinking Price would be a bust. I always tought that he would be where he is now so its fun to see people say that!

Props to you....

Old
07-30-2011, 11:02 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seblar09 View Post
Can't deny that i'm admiring your honesty on this one. Not much people would be able to recognize that they made a mistake by thinking Price would be a bust. I always tought that he would be where he is now so its fun to see people say that!

Props to you....
I didn't think he would be a bust, but I didn't think he could do it here. We had to have been close to destroying this kid, at least in my opinion. I couldn't have more wrong about my assessment of the situation though. lol

Old
07-30-2011, 11:13 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Too low.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Kriss E

I disagree with Thomas being #1. I'd put him over Price, but not at the top of the NHL.
To me Rinne is #1.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I disagree with Thomas being #1. I'd put him over Price, but not at the top of the NHL.
To me Rinne is #1.
Conn Smythe winner, Stanley Cup Champion and Vezina trophy winner. Hard to argue that.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-30-2011, 11:28 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Conn Smythe winner, Stanley Cup Champion and Vezina trophy winner. Hard to argue that.
37 years old and aging. Also hard to argue with that.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:29 PM
guest1467

Price will make the Olympic team for sure. I hope he becomes the starter somehow.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Maliki2

I understand all the Thomas love. But the guy is hit or miss. Last season was incredible. But most of the Bruins fans wanted him gone before the beginning of last season. I expect him to drop fast this year.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Price will make the Olympic team for sure. I hope he becomes the starter somehow.
I HATE to ask you but who is ranked ahead of price RIGHT now and who do YOU think would be ranked ahead of him 3 years from now?

im not saying price is number 1, im just curious.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:58 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
I HATE to ask you but who is ranked ahead of price RIGHT now and who do YOU think would be ranked ahead of him 3 years from now?

No doubt in my mind right not Luongo still gets the nod before Price.

In 3 years? Impossible to say. I'd guess they'd both be fighting for it though.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:02 AM
Kane One

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Except there's no signs that his age will make him play any worse than he is. Maybe if he has a bad year then you can put age into the reasoning, but for now, age is just a number.

07-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No doubt in my mind right not Luongo still gets the nod before Price.

In 3 years? Impossible to say. I'd guess they'd both be fighting for it though.
I also still think luongo gets the "curtesy" nod AS of now, but he had his , i hate to say , "chance" for unbeleivable glory, winning gold medal in front of his hometeam fans, and thats no reason to think luongo wouldnt be given the "chance" again, but ALOT can happen in 3 years, and luongo would be about 35 at that time

I dont think price has too worry too much about fleury and ward but thats just me, ironicaly, both fleury and ward have cup rings, and luongo and price do not

i always thought luongo dimming down winning that olympic gold and being given the chance to be the goalie of such an amazing team would come back to haunt him after he said just beating the hawks in game 7 in round 1 of the playoffs felt just as good as that gold medal win, i just never rly liked luongo, and i respect my montreal boys but i just always hated the way he carries himself in interviews, rly bothersome

I hope price merely solidifies what he did last season for 3 straight years and it would be impossible not to consider him for the team at all

Old
07-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Completely irrelevant. This list was decided on the goaltender's performance of last season. It's easy to pick the guy that won it all.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:21 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Tell that to goalies like Roloson, Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, Joseph who all had good seasons aroung that age.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Stradale

He might be 5th but for me, he's the most valuable goalie.

If I have to choose any goalie in the world for the next 5-10 years, it would be Price.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Habs

I disagree with Price, and others, being above Luongo, Fleury and Ward at this point. They have all proven their worth where it counts, Price hasn't yet.

You can mock those other goalies, but they are winners at a major level, and Price hasn't done that yet. He's around 10-12 in my books, until he has a few great years.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I disagree with Price, and others, being above Luongo, Fleury and Ward at this point. They have all proven their worth where it counts, Price hasn't yet.

You can mock those other goalies, but they are winners at a major level, and Price hasn't done that yet. He's around 10-12 in my books, until he has a few great years.
It's about choosing the best goalie, not choosing the goalie who's pretty good and also had the opportunity to be on a great team. In fact, the only major tournament Luongo has ever won was because he came in in relief of the guy who was anointed starter because he 'proved his worth where it counts'.

There are ways to measure a goalie's worth other than a check mark in the Stanley Cup/Gold Medal column. And in a one-game elimination scenario the only Canadian goalie that I'd want clearly ahead of Price would be Ward.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:21 AM
Stradale

Yeah well, I'd still take Price over Niemi any day of the week.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:22 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

I think I agree that Luongo is given the temp reins first.

Its possible Price regresses from last season as well, I doubt it though.

Price will make the team, but its not always easy being the starter, even if the talent is thinning out a bit.

Closed Thread