HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

first 2 goals were HORRIBLE

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 06:55 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
so throw away those other 4 games where he played solidly and even held the oilers in the game at times...? ok will do, if he rebounds next time in the next time he gets in the game you'd better believe i'm gonna bring this up. Some people have no idea what "tabula rasa" means, if you're one of them you should check it out, might reveal a few things to you.
this will be my last post on this subject because some people just REFUSE to look at facts (like one of the worst save% in the league over the past year)

what other games are you talking about? he hasnt played a game YET where he hasnt let in a soft goal... im not sure what games you have been watching

and if you want to try and equate 1 game of playing well with 1 game of playing poorly, thats fine..... so heres what we're at:

games lost almost entirely on account of salos bad play: 1
games won almost entirely on account of salso good play: ?

there is a question mark there because i defy you to come up with a game that he has won for us yet this year

Old
10-21-2003, 07:01 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
first of all im far from a bandwagon jumper here, ive been an oiler fan since i was born, and if you are referring to salo - ive NEVER been a salo fan, ill admit that

for you to say that he *didnt* have a bad game today is laughable.... that was one of the worst performances ive almost ever seen from salo, and with salo thats saying something..... the 1st goal should have been stopped EASILY... the 2nd goal was a TERRIBLE rebound, a 12 year old knows to direct a softie like that to the corner.... the demitra goal was unbelievably bad... ill say that again, UNBELIEVABLY bad..... i just cant express in words how bad of a goal that was... its almost uncomprehendable how soft the goal was to be honest, so im gonna stop trying to explain how bad it was... the breakaway wasnt his fault obviously nor was the one that bounced off two different players and went in.... but 3 terrible goals DOES equal a terrible night

i dont know how anybody who saw that game could possibly defend salo after that stinker.... even my dad, who is VERY level headed about goaltending and doesnt usually complain very much was commenting about how poorly salo played tonight
I never ment to imply that I thought Tommy had a good game, because I agree he didn't! BUT people are so of the posters on here are fickled with Tommy that it makes me sick. Sure, that rebound on the second goal wasn't very good (wasn't what your trying to make it to be) but when a player is left COMPLETELY alone - five on five - in front of the goalie with ALL the time in the world to do WHAT EVER he wishes is NOT the goalies fault!

Old
10-21-2003, 07:01 PM
puckyou21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8
I have to agree, this is the worst performance I have seen by a netminder in a long time.

Worst since Johnson in the first period you mean!

Old
10-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
there is a question mark there because i defy you to come up with a game that he has won for us yet this year
Well, I will defend Salo here. The Oilers have only won 3 games and have only played 6, so what's the point? Complain about that after a dozen games...

He should have won the game in Calgary if the team had showed up to play. He got great goal support against the Avs and held them in the game. Vancouver badly outplayed the team in the loss there and he wasn't all that bad.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:06 PM
cram

The bottom line is, and I am not putting the blame on Salo solely, buuuuuuuuuuut...a top notch goaltender makes the saves when the team most needs it, and tonight Salo couldn't stop that 3-3 goal, not that he had any chance on it as Horc forgot to skate with his man, but big game goalies manage to make that big save, that's what makes them big, and Salo, at this point in time is no better then Cloutier when it comes to that. He knew St. Louis was going to come at them hard after the 3-0 goal, and what happens, he tries to cheat on Weight, the player that knows him best on the Blues and he gets burned badly, wtf!! I say go with Conks, the team plays more responsibly in front if him, they rely too much on Salo at critical times and he's letting them down. It's not how many you make, it's when you make them.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:16 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Obviously salo sucked tonight, no one is saying he didn't and if anyoneis, i'm not one of them. What *I* am saying is that one bad game does not make a bad player, otherwise no goaltender in the NHL is good, cuz they've all had bad games. I am also saying you need to chill out and not hit the panic button everytime salo or anyone else for that matter plays a bad game. You and a few of the other guys on this board seem to over-react one way or another after every game. Its not like one sound win against the avs makes us favorites in the northwest division, nor does one loss to a decimated blues line-up make us the cellar-dwellers and front runners in the ovechkin sweepstakes.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:16 PM
oh_canuck

good point above^^

but still

do you think douggie had a scouting report on salo the blues were shooting from every bad angle imaginable, it netted them some juicy rebounds in the slot and good chances, one being a goal.

seems tommies intensity may be an issue, not in a prepared stance tracking the puck at all times in the zone which may be the reason for so many soft goals over the last couple of years

I dont know any other way to explain it????
He is solid when the puck is in front of him

Old
10-21-2003, 07:17 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
The bottom line is, and I am not putting the blame on Salo solely, buuuuuuuuuuut...a top notch goaltender makes the saves when the team most needs it, and tonight Salo couldn't stop that 3-3 goal, not that he had any chance on it as Horc forgot to skate with his man, but big game goalies manage to make that big save, that's what makes them big, and Salo, at this point in time is no better then Cloutier when it comes to that. He knew St. Louis was going to come at them hard after the 3-0 goal, and what happens, he tries to cheat on Weight, the player that knows him best on the Blues and he gets burned badly, wtf!! I say go with Conks, the team plays more responsibly in front if him, they rely too much on Salo at critical times and he's letting them down. It's not how many you make, it's when you make them.
Totally agree and I would like to add Johnson played worse then Salo MacT was perhaps a little to slow on yanking Tommy, I noticed he does not like yanking goalies until he thinks they deserve it, but some coaches do it just to swing momentum more-so than because of poor play and I don't find MacT doing it all to often I think tonights situation called for it but maybe thats just hindsight talking.

P.S. I feel sorry for St.Louis, Osgood looked hurt at the end of the game he was supposed to be day-to-day with a hip flexor he might of made it worse playing tonight. If I was St.Louis I very much would not want Brent Johnson as my starter on a nightly basis, I think they might make a goalie pick-up soon just a cheap back-up that can rope in a few games for them.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Hairball

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by thome_26
I can't believe how hard you guys are being on Salo. Mainly just a bunch of Bandwagen jumpers here - he plays good - and he's fine this year and we'll be fine. He has a bad game (which he didn't tonight) and everybody blames all the Oilers problems on him. The funniest part is listening to people claim that the second goal was his fault. PFFT. It was a complete and udder breakdown of the defense that left a guy COMPLETELY alone in front of the net with all the time in the world. Somebody said, "oh he was flopping"..... well use your head - YOU DON'T STAND UP WHEN A GUY IS ALL ALONE ONE F*#@ing foot outside the crease!!!!!! YOU HAVE TO GO DOWN!!!! stand up and it will go in on the ice ALL night long! God help some Oiler fans if we ever get a butterfly goalie!

Quote:
first of all im far from a bandwagon jumper here, ive been an oiler fan since i was born, and if you are referring to salo - ive NEVER been a salo fan, ill admit that

for you to say that he *didnt* have a bad game today is laughable.... that was one of the worst performances ive almost ever seen from salo, and with salo thats saying something..... the 1st goal should have been stopped EASILY... the 2nd goal was a TERRIBLE rebound, a 12 year old knows to direct a softie like that to the corner.... the demitra goal was unbelievably bad... ill say that again, UNBELIEVABLY bad..... i just cant express in words how bad of a goal that was... its almost uncomprehendable how soft the goal was to be honest, so im gonna stop trying to explain how bad it was... the breakaway wasnt his fault obviously nor was the one that bounced off two different players and went in.... but 3 terrible goals DOES equal a terrible night

i dont know how anybody who saw that game could possibly defend salo after that stinker.... even my dad, who is VERY level headed about goaltending and doesnt usually complain very much was commenting about how poorly salo played tonight

First of all- Holy Crap!
Second of all - Holy Crap!
Third od all- Yup. You guessed it. Holy Crap!

Ease up man. He didn't play that badly. Certainly not bad enough to reflect that score. I'll bet that if you ask the rest of the players about the goals against tonight, to a man they will all tell you it wasn't Salo's fault out there. The first one, he was screened by one of our defensemen, and one of the Blues. He didn't see that shot at all. The second one he made the first save and there was no one there to take away the rebound except the unchecked Blues player. He was all alone with the puck in front of the net. That is not Salo's fault. I had a great view of the first period because I was at that end tonight.
I think it was the third one that the Blues player snuck in behind our defensemen. Now that pass should have never have happened. Granted- he didn't make the save but the defense didn't make the hit or break up the pass or make any sort of play on that one either.
The whole team got lucky three times and decided to take the rest of the night off. They finally got their acts together and came out and absolutely dominated the last ten minutes but by that time it was too late. I chalk this one up to one of those games where everything seems to go in and the goalies have to suffer through it. Someone mentioned his goals against average as .730ish? How about Johnson's? We had 7 shots in the first right? I don't think he was in for all of them so best case scenario he's got a .572 average. That sucks if you ask me. Does that exclusively make him a bad goalie? I don't think so. So lighten up. Not just aimed at you jadeddog but everyone who is nailing his hide to the wall.

I just found out he was in for 6 shots. That makes it a .500 average.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:47 PM
jadeddog

ok ok i couldnt resist one more post on this matter

you will notice that my slagging of salo doesnt stop or begin with a win or a loss.... and if you knew me better (though its not your fault that you dont, lol) you would know that i *was* a supporter of salo, back when he was a decent NHL goalie..... i even defended him to other oiler fans at the begining of last year.... but after a full season of him played just godawful i have lost faith completely (something like 5th worst save% of all starting goalies in the league during regular season and 2nd worst during the playoffs)..... what will it take to get it back you ask? nothing much, i dont even expect him to play GOOD, all i ask is for him to play AVERAGE

once he starts to play about as well as the average NHL goalie i will stop my calls for his head.... but until then why should i cut him slack?? sure our defence makes mistakes, but so do LOTS of other teams defences and their goalies still manage to stop a much higher percentage of the opposing teams shots.... the oilers do not have a monopoly on bad defence by any stretch of the imagination

basically what im saying here is that im not overreacting, im just voicing my opinion on a matter that i feel strongly about.... and will continue to feel strongly about until we start to get at least AVERAGE goaltending from our 3.5 million dollar man.... really, is it too much to ask for average goaltending?? tell me if it is and ill stop all of this..... but i think we all know that its not too much to ask, if anything its not very much to ask at ALL..... its sad when my expectations are *that* low, and im *still* let down... quite sad indeed

Old
10-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
He MAY have been able to stop the first one if he had been able to pick it up through the maze of players.

The second goal? LOL. That was completely, totally, and UTTERLY Horcoff's man that got left alone in front to whack in a rebound of a rebound. No fault on Salo, he was committed and out of position. Danton shouldn't have got that shot, never mind Salo make the save.

Take it easy on Salo.

Your avatar looks like he could be a good replacement for Salo if you replaced the game puck with a bag of loonies.

Old
10-21-2003, 11:37 PM
jiggyman

Quote:
ok ok i couldnt resist one more post on this matter

you will notice that my slagging of salo doesnt stop or begin with a win or a loss.... and if you knew me better (though its not your fault that you dont, lol) you would know that i *was* a supporter of salo, back when he was a decent NHL goalie..... i even defended him to other oiler fans at the begining of last year.... but after a full season of him played just godawful i have lost faith completely (something like 5th worst save% of all starting goalies in the league during regular season and 2nd worst during the playoffs)..... what will it take to get it back you ask? nothing much, i dont even expect him to play GOOD, all i ask is for him to play AVERAGE

once he starts to play about as well as the average NHL goalie i will stop my calls for his head.... but until then why should i cut him slack?? sure our defence makes mistakes, but so do LOTS of other teams defences and their goalies still manage to stop a much higher percentage of the opposing teams shots.... the oilers do not have a monopoly on bad defence by any stretch of the imagination

basically what im saying here is that im not overreacting, im just voicing my opinion on a matter that i feel strongly about.... and will continue to feel strongly about until we start to get at least AVERAGE goaltending from our 3.5 million dollar man.... really, is it too much to ask for average goaltending?? tell me if it is and ill stop all of this..... but i think we all know that its not too much to ask, if anything its not very much to ask at ALL..... its sad when my expectations are *that* low, and im *still* let down... quite sad indeed

You can't really judge a goalie like that, its all about the team infront of them. You cant look at their stats and assume they suck like your saying. Most people think of Brodeur and Lalime being a lot better than Salo but look at the team, defense especially infront of them. I would bet anything that if you traded Brodeur/Lalime for Salo, Salo would have better stats at the end of the season. Another big one that comes to mind is Turco. Lets put Turco in net for the Oilers and see how he does in a more run and gun style. I guarantee he wouldn't have set a GAA record last season if he was an Oiler.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Yanner39

Salo's a very good goalie, but last night he sucked. What made it worst is that his team gave a 3-0 lead and he couldn't stop the puck to save his life. The Weight goal, the Danton goal and the Demitra were all very stoppable. Anyone disagreeing was not watching the same game. The Mayer's goal was not, a deflection.

Tommy has been good. But anyone else noticed that he seems to be giving up a crapload of rebounds. Against the Avs on Saturday, Tanguay's goal was off a rebound that Tommy should never have given up. Same with the Danton goal.
What I find humerous the most is some of you are actually blaming our defense. Come on. Apart from the play where Bergeron almost pulled a Steve Smith, our defense was very solid. In fact, all six must have gotten the green light to pinch in and the forwards were actually backing them up. No my friends, Salo has won many games for the Oilers but last night, the Oilers lost because of crappy goaltending.

In response to the poster who said that crticizing Salo makes me a bandwagon jumper, lighten up. My advice to you is think before posting.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:27 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyman
You can't really judge a goalie like that, its all about the team infront of them. You cant look at their stats and assume they suck like your saying. Most people think of Brodeur and Lalime being a lot better than Salo but look at the team, defense especially infront of them. I would bet anything that if you traded Brodeur/Lalime for Salo, Salo would have better stats at the end of the season. Another big one that comes to mind is Turco. Lets put Turco in net for the Oilers and see how he does in a more run and gun style. I guarantee he wouldn't have set a GAA record last season if he was an Oiler.
yeah your completely right, you cant just look at stats alone and determine who the better goalie is... im sure there are a few examples of goalies who have pretty good stats, but if they went to a team like edmonton (young and run and gun) their stats would suffer

but thats also why i dont ask for my goalie to even have stats that are in the top half of the league.... all im asking is for him to be an AVERAGE goalie... i really dont think thats too much to ask

Old
10-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Hairball

Just saw the highights. Turns out the 4th goal was deflected behind someone. No way Salo had a chance on that. The general feeling for me from the game last night, and even Sid Smith mentioned exactly what I was thinking on the post game show, was that even though we got three quick goals last night, the first half of the period was by no means under our control nor were we playing particularily well. So what I'm saying is let's face it. We didn't play well until until the last ten minutes of the game. This includes sloppy play in our own end, giveaways, non coverage and hanging Salo out to dry. This game is in no way indicative of how well Salo generally plays. What I'm saying is that he shouldn't be blamed for the poor play of the team. I agree that we want him to save these types of games for us and steal a win from time to time, but he didn't last night. No biggie. I think he's stepped it up over last year and he'll bounce back. I'm not worried.

Closed Thread