HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Canadiens #24 Prospect Voting

View Poll Results: 24th Prospect
Olivier Archambault LW 32 34.04%
Hunter Bishop LW 0 0%
Josiah Didier D 18 19.15%
Darren Dietz D 11 11.70%
Philippe Lefebvre LW 1 1.06%
Olivier Fortier C 0 0%
Ian Schultz RW 7 7.45%
Joe Stejskal D 4 4.26%
Colin Sullivan D 0 0%
Maxim Trunev RW 13 13.83%
Dustin Walsh C 8 8.51%
John Westin C 0 0%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2011, 10:48 PM
SpezNc

vCash: 500
where is Mitera???

Old
07-30-2011, 10:50 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
where is Mitera???
Are you srs bro?

Old
07-30-2011, 10:55 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
where is Mitera???
Every thread. Without fail.

For the last time. AFTER we are done the ranking process, we are ranking Mitera against the list.

Old
07-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

6 votes for Schultz? lol. Show me a team weak enough to find a spot for him any time in the near future, and I'll show you a lottery team. Overrated ability as an enforcer, and borderline AHL talent at best right now. Archambault, Didier, Dietz, and Walsh (at the very least) should all be welllll above Schultz in the rankings, regardless of the criteria one employs in their judgement.

Old
07-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
This is a joke ranking. 1 month after the draft, our last 4th rounder and our 6th rounder top our first 2 4th rounders and our 5th rounder.

Can't believe people really think the org didn't get their pick order right.

And for the Pribyl pick which has people wetting their undies, I guess seeing where Trunev is now should be a warning for those who think a late euro 'top 6 skillset' pick is that enticing a prospect.
I'm actually putting the way people were drafted by order aside. I did a lot of time after the Habs board mock draft and discovered Didier, a kid that wasn't selected by anyone here. I did some research, read a lot of things on him and liked what I heard and saw. If given the right developmental program, he could be a good D for the Habs.

Maybe it's me being a little too high on someone, as I was with Yuen, but I have a good feeling about Didier.

Old
07-31-2011, 09:55 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Players drafted by round has nothing to do with talent when you get into the later rounds. It has to do with exposure, knowing the teams around you and where a guy might be selected.

I'm voting for Walsh because he put up decent sophomore points in the NCAA. He's got a good frame, needs more muscle, but there's some potential there. This year, we hope to see him break out.

Old
07-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
This is a joke ranking. 1 month after the draft, our last 4th rounder and our 6th rounder top our first 2 4th rounders and our 5th rounder.

Can't believe people really think the org didn't get their pick order right.

And for the Pribyl pick which has people wetting their undies, I guess seeing where Trunev is now should be a warning for those who think a late euro 'top 6 skillset' pick is that enticing a prospect.
Are you a poster voting like everyone else in this thread, or are you in charge of everyone's ****ing opinions ? Your opinion ain't worth more than anyone else's here, so get off your high horse...

Old
07-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Players drafted by round has nothing to do with talent when you get into the later rounds.

I'm voting for Walsh because he put up decent sophomore points in the NCAA. He's got a good frame, needs more muscle, but there's some potential there. This year, we hope to see him break out.
Other years I don't mind, THIS year's? 1 month since the draft. ONE month. NO hockey.

'Oh hey, Pribyl/Nygren is a euro with skill'. Better prospect than the unsexy defenseman and the French kid picked earlier in the 4th round.

Quote:
It has to do with exposure, knowing the teams around you and where a guy might be selected.
Pretty sure it has to do with what he did on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Are you a poster voting like everyone else in this thread, or are you in charge of everyone's ****ing opinions ? Your opinion ain't worth more than anyone else's here, so get off your high horse...
So you know more about the guys drafted than the organization that picked them IN THAT ORDER?

Derp much?

Old
07-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Other years I don't mind, THIS year's? 1 month since the draft. ONE month. NO hockey.

'Oh hey, Pribyl/Nygren is a euro with skill'. Better prospect than the unsexy defenseman and the French kid picked earlier in the 4th round.

So you know more about the guys drafted than the organization that picked them IN THAT ORDER?

Derp much?
I suppose the organization knows who will be better in 3 years ? That's called projections, and anybody can do projections. Anyway, what do you think we're doing here, serious business ?

Old
07-31-2011, 10:55 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
So apparently a later pick can't have more upside than an earlier one? The draft isn't based on NHL readiness or likeliness to achieve X potential. It's got mixed criteria. Some vote for who they feel has highest potential, some vote for safer pick. It's not strange at all to suggest a later pick has more potential than an earlier one at all.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Derp much?
So what's the fun in making a ranking if you're restricted in following the order they've been selected in? Besides take a look back at previous drafts, I guess you'd be surprised how many lower drafted players end up being better than the higher drafted players. It happens so why can't people predict it will for this year's draft? In the 2010 draft Mark MacMillan was selected before Gallagher yet in the Habs board were higher on the latter. What's the big deal?

Old
07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:

Derp much?
I'm saying that the team might have decided to pick Didier and Archambault before Pribyl because they knew other teams scouts were high on said players and they wouldn't be in the 6th, where they thought Pribyl might still be available.

I like Didier, I have him ahead of Archambault. I have them both ahead of Nygren. I do have Pribly ahead of all three simply because I like the offensive package in his body. I think his highest upside is better then any of the aforementioned players. He is the pick aside from Beaulieu I am most excited about.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
So what's the fun in making a ranking if you're restricted in following the order they've been selected in? Besides take a look back at previous drafts, I guess you'd be surprised how many lower drafted players end up being better than the higher drafted players. In the 2010 draft Mark MacMillan was selected before Gallagher yet in the Habs board were higher on the latter. What's the big deal?
As I said, past years is fine. There's hockey that's been played in between.

But this is a month after the draft. This isn't predict your sleeper late round pick (AFAIK), this is a prospect ranking. What's Pribyl done to up his stock, or Didier to lower his?

It makes no sense that professionals pick certain players in a certain order, but the guys deemed to be lesser prospects get a jump on a team's ranking right after the draft for being european and have perceived skill? Remember the Datsyukan hands of Trunev? Good times.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

But this is a month after the draft. This isn't predict your sleeper late round pick (AFAIK), this is a prospect ranking. What's Pribyl done to up his stock, or Didier to lower his?

It makes no sense that professionals pick certain players in a certain order, but the guys deemed to be lesser prospects get a jump on a team's ranking right after the draft for being european and have perceived skill? Remember the Datsyukan hands of Trunev? Good times.
You're okay with the other years because you know it's normal event for prospects picked lower to perform better than prospects picked higher. None of these players in the ranking are 100% locks for the NHL so technically the point IS to predict how they will perform in the future or if they make the NHL. What's the point of a ranking based on where players are selected in the draft? It's rare for players to perform according to their draft position especially when we're talking players taken in the late rounds (these are 4th rounders+). Knowing that, how can you have an issue with people having the 168th pick over the 108th pick or the 113th pick over the 97th pick. It's a mere prediction in based on opinion for fun. The key thing you're missing is these are late picks and it's for fun.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
You're okay with the other years because you know it's normal event for prospects picked lower to perform better than prospects picked higher. None of these players in the ranking are 100% locks for the NHL so technically the point IS to predict how they will perform in the future or if they make the NHL. What's the point of a ranking based on where players are selected in the draft? It's rare for players to perform according to their draft position especially when we're talking players taken in the late rounds (these are 4th rounders+). Knowing that, how can you have an issue with people having the 168th pick over the 108th pick or the 113th pick over the 97th pick. It's a mere prediction in based on opinion for fun. The key thing you're missing is these are late picks and it's for fun.
My mistake for thinking people took this seriously.

Should've tried to vote in Conboy at #1.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Maxpac

Yeah people, where have you been all these years? Every year the 1st round pick is better then the 2nd round pick, the 2nd round pick is better then the 3rd round pick, the 3rd round pick is...

Old
07-31-2011, 12:44 PM
ruski17

Quote:
My mistake for thinking people took this seriously.

Should've tried to vote in Conboy at #1.
I'm sorry, I didn't know we weren't allowed to have different opinions from the scouts. My bad for thinking that I was allowed my own opinion on who is better, or who will end up better. Really, sorry!

Old
07-31-2011, 01:00 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:

Why have a draft talk at all? Why do teams bother employing scouts? Shouldn't they select according to the final CSS guide?

People have DIFFERING opinions of EVERY other scout out there. It is natural to have discrepancy. You are taking the opinion of our scouting staff for law? Did you agree with every pick we made? Do you not think there were players picked after our picks that we should've selected? Or do you have blind faith?

Every persons list looks differently. Everyone voting on these would come up with a completely different list. None are wrong and none are completely right.

Old
07-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Imagine if few Det fans ranked Zetterberg higher than 4th-5th rounders of the same draft he was in, in a Prospect ranking poll at that time

These fans would be a joke, right?

Old
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Why have a draft talk at all? Why do teams bother employing scouts? Shouldn't they select according to the final CSS guide?

People have DIFFERING opinions of EVERY other scout out there. It is natural to have discrepancy. You are taking the opinion of our scouting staff for law? Did you agree with every pick we made? Do you not think there were players picked after our picks that we should've selected? Or do you have blind faith?

Every persons list looks differently. Everyone voting on these would come up with a completely different list. None are wrong and none are completely right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Yeah people, where have you been all these years? Every year the 1st round pick is better then the 2nd round pick, the 2nd round pick is better then the 3rd round pick, the 3rd round pick is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't know we weren't allowed to have different opinions from the scouts. My bad for thinking that I was allowed my own opinion on who is better, or who will end up better. Really, sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Imagine if few Det fans ranked Zetterberg higher than 4th-5th rounders of the same draft he was in, in a Prospect ranking poll at that time

These fans would be a joke, right?
Once again, this is based on both potential and actual play.

If people here think they have a better clue than all 30 teams' scouting staff's on what a player's potential is, it's all good. But I can't take that seriously. Not without actual play coming in to make or break the draft day opinion (which was ONE month ago). We can all agree or disagree with how the draft went down, but when it comes to making a prospects' list, without anything happening since the draft, showing deference to what the organization OBVIOUSLY thinks of those newly drafted prospects is just logical.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a prospect ranking, not Habs fans' prospect wet dreams.

Old
07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

If people here think they have a better clue than all 30 teams' scouting staff's on what a player's potential is, it's all good. But I can't take that seriously. Not without actual play coming in to make or break the draft day opinion (which was ONE month ago). We can all agree or disagree with how the draft went down, but when it comes to making a prospects' list, without anything happening since the draft, showing deference to what the organization OBVIOUSLY thinks of those newly drafted prospects is just logical.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a prospect ranking, not Habs fans' prospect wet dreams.
There has been a development camp earlier this month with the drafted prospects. There were also reports on which of these said prospects impressed. It may not have been from Habs management but fans and reporter opinions count no?

Old
07-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:

Who are the people voting ? Habs fans on hockey boards. Do you think any of us (well, except some knowledgeable posters here, and everybody knows them) know anything concerning what's happening prospect-wise in the Habs organization ? Now, that taken into account, why do we do this prospect voting ? Some might be delusional and think they know better than the Habs who will become what 2 or 3 years in advance (and NOBODY knows that, not even the hockey organization that drafts and PROJECTS prospects in the future), but they're a minority. The majority are voting for fun, because it IS Habs fans prospect wet dreams... I mean, are you -really- thinking this is serious business ?

Old
07-31-2011, 05:27 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:

The Montreal Canadiens drafted David Fischer in 1st round.
He was on the Columbus Blue Jackets No Draft List.

Montreal may have picked Didier, Archambault and Nygren ahead of Pribyl.
Who's to say ANY other teams had those on their radar BEFORE Pribyl? No one knows. Except the scouts of the other teams.

Just like other teams have differing opinions then the team we cheer for. Us armchair scouts have differing opinions. We are expressing it in a majority votes poll.

Old
07-31-2011, 08:06 PM
ChoseLa

Why not just rank the prospects by their draft orders then? Can't we have our own opinion?

Old
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
DDIHH

Trunev, he's the next Emelin

Closed Thread