HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price Ranked 5th In NHL Goalie Ranking

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2011, 12:37 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
I also still think luongo gets the "curtesy" nod AS of now, but he had his , i hate to say , "chance" for unbeleivable glory, winning gold medal in front of his hometeam fans, and thats no reason to think luongo wouldnt be given the "chance" again, but ALOT can happen in 3 years, and luongo would be about 35 at that time

I dont think price has too worry too much about fleury and ward but thats just me, ironicaly, both fleury and ward have cup rings, and luongo and price do not

i always thought luongo dimming down winning that olympic gold and being given the chance to be the goalie of such an amazing team would come back to haunt him after he said just beating the hawks in game 7 in round 1 of the playoffs felt just as good as that gold medal win, i just never rly liked luongo, and i respect my montreal boys but i just always hated the way he carries himself in interviews, rly bothersome

I hope price merely solidifies what he did last season for 3 straight years and it would be impossible not to consider him for the team at all
Trust me I'm not a Luongo fan either. I have a feeling Price has a better career than Luongo and will prove to be the better goalie.

In fact I prefer Price to Luongo already, but time will tell if I'm truly right about Price.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Guilliam

Hiller at 16, behind Niemi and Quick, is a joke. He should be very near the top 5...

Old
07-31-2011, 01:07 AM
Aplayaz2000

da prouce is rought

but u also have to factor they factored the team relations to the goalie success as well

Old
07-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Galcherock
Scouting for size

First I have to say that there's a lot of good hockey people in here. I'm reading you guys since like 2-3 years now and I enjoyed every minute of it....

About Price I would say in my mind he is right where he is supposed to be for NOW but could be a potential top 2-3 on this list as soon as 2012. This guy has it all and his mental focus seems to be better and better since Halak was traded. Price should backstop team Canada in sochi and there's not even a doubt in me that Luongo could steal him the spot....the past playoffs were not good for Luongo in terms of image if you are team Canada's GM.

The only guy I see being the #1 goalie in front of Price would be Cam Ward if he elevates his game to the 2006 level (always been a fan) but i'm not sure yet. Price/Ward for me but the order is still a question mark. Luongo would be my 3rd goalie.

Have a good night guys and maybe i'll try to write more often on these boards cause i read them every day

Old
07-31-2011, 03:28 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its a decent list.

I never felt like the habs were outclassed in any goalie matchup last season with Price in net. Now its just a matter of doing it season after season.

Here's my top 10
  1. Rinne
  2. Lundqvist
  3. Miller
  4. Price
  5. Thomas
  6. Vokoun
  7. Ward
  8. Kiprusoff
  9. Halak
  10. Hiller

Old
07-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Dharvey33

Hiller is indeed a very underated goalie he should be top 10 because he is better than quick Niemi and Kirpusoff right now.

Price will be top 3 next season and might be number one when the habs win the cup. the guy has won ever where he as gone so a cup in MTL is just a matter of time.

Never been so confident we can win a cup than this year i'm feeling it it's our year.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
It's about choosing the best goalie, not choosing the goalie who's pretty good and also had the opportunity to be on a great team.

There are ways to measure a goalie's worth other than a check mark in the Stanley Cup/Gold Medal column. And in a one-game elimination scenario the only Canadian goalie that I'd want clearly ahead of Price would be Ward.
... I think its funny Luongo still has to prove something to certain fans, as if his time in Florida and Vancouver hasn't been enough to show he's a top goaltender.

Oh, and what exactly are you measuring a goalies 'worth' on, if you can't count any of his trophies or medals? Are you just pulling things out of the air and saying 'because I said so'?

Quote:
In fact, the only major tournament Luongo has ever won was because he came in in relief of the guy who was anointed starter because he 'proved his worth where it counts'.
Right, so we should all just ignore the fact he has 3 gold medals from the international tournaments. Also, his Olympic gold is tainted because Brodeur sucked, and Luongo had the easy job of stepping into that situation. His Olympic performance was terrific, how about playing for a gold medal in your own building, in your own nation... for your own fans? Nah, no pressure at all.. the guy is a chump...

Reasons Luongo Sucks :

Most saves in a single season – 2,303 in 2003–04
Most shots faced in a single season – 2,488 in 2005–06
Most shots faced in a single playoff game – 76
Most regular season overtime wins, all-time – 49
3 Gold medals - International
1 Olympic Gold
.917 career Save % in playoffs

I see how you like to diminish anyone's performance, that's a nice little gift you have there, it should take you far in life. Why don't you turn that on Price's career and see how that works out for you?

I love Price, he's got the tools to be the best, but it was only a year ago most of the local bandwagon here wanted him gone , and he deserves a lot of the accolades he has received this season. However, these hockey writers jump on and off the bandwagon faster than most Hab fans.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:37 AM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Yeah well, I'd still take Price over Niemi any day of the week.
I'd take any goalie over Niemi any day of the week.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
He might be 5th but for me, he's the most valuable goalie.

If I have to choose any goalie in the world for the next 5-10 years, it would be Price.
Or rather, the most valuable goalie to his team. Not as trade value, though, even though trading Price away would require a lottery pick+to get it done.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
... I think its funny Luongo still has to prove something to certain fans, as if his time in Florida and Vancouver hasn't been enough to show he's a top goaltender.
According to you, it isn't. Because he hasn't won anything in either place.

Quote:
Oh, and what exactly are you measuring a goalies 'worth' on, if you can't count any of his trophies or medals? Are you just pulling things out of the air and saying 'because I said so'?
Actually watching them play and reading opinions of others who watch them play. Not going "Welp, he's got a Cup, so sign him up."

It's actually scary that the only way you know how to measure a goalie's worth is by looking in his trophy case. And not even at the individual awards.

Quote:
Right, so we should all just ignore the fact he has 3 gold medals from the international tournaments. Also, his Olympic gold is tainted because Brodeur sucked, and Luongo had the easy job of stepping into that situation. His Olympic performance was terrific, how about playing for a gold medal in your own building, in your own nation... for your own fans? Nah, no pressure at all.. the guy is a chump...
The point, which clearly went over your head, was that Luongo according to you wasn't qualified to lead Canada to a gold medal at those Olympics.

On top of that, you'll find a lot of people who will disagree with your assessment of his play during that tournament. He played well, not terrific.

And it's hard for Price to win World Championship Gold when he's never been at the tournament. But apparently Luongo being unable to win in Florida allowed him to prove he could win at the WCs. Quite the little paradox you've set up there.

Quote:
Reasons Luongo Sucks :

Most saves in a single season – 2,303 in 2003–04
Most shots faced in a single season – 2,488 in 2005–06
Most shots faced in a single playoff game – 76
Most regular season overtime wins, all-time – 49
3 Gold medals - International
1 Olympic Gold
.917 career Save % in playoffs
Ignoring the inanity of listing shots faced as some sort of accomplishment, according to you the bolded part is the most important thing on Luongo's resume.

Again, I'd rather choose my goalies based on how good they are, not what teams they happened to be on.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:12 PM
neofury*

We should honestly make an HF pool this year where the mods of each teams board have a team and it's a complete fantasy draft. The mods for each forum make the selection but the posters are the "scouts" so to speak, and the choice for each pick is voted on. Then we'd get to see where everyone gets selected based on each fan base. Obviously if we picked 30th it could skew some of our homer picks but same can be said about any team.

Then each forum would have a fantasy team this year! Would be legit fun.

PS: I could face 150 shots in a game, does that make me a great goalie? What a ******** thing to bring up.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Pax Macioretty

Fleury at #7

Price is where he is suppose to be IMO and in 2 years he should be top 3. He already is the most complete goalie in the league, all he needs now is good consistent numbers.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:44 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Fleury at #7

Price is where he is suppose to be IMO and in 2 years he should be top 3. He already is the most complete goalie in the league, all he needs now is good consistent numbers.
Fleury has earned more of my respect in recent time. He's gotten to be a lot more consistent. It's actually been him carrying the team lately not the other way around.

He will likely win another cup and even if it's on one of the most stacked teams in the league it's better than Luongo can say for himself.

I'd rank Fleury right where he is. Even though I used to think he was trash due to being inconsistent and having some pretty big holes in his came, he's gotten a lot better. Fleury has improved since his cup win, what more do you want from the guy?

Old
07-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Or rather, the most valuable goalie to his team. Not as trade value, though, even though trading Price away would require a lottery pick+to get it done.
Which goalie has more trade value than Price? I don't see anyone else beside Rinne/Lundqvist, but they are also 5-6 years older.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:51 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
I understand all the Thomas love. But the guy is hit or miss. Last season was incredible. But most of the Bruins fans wanted him gone before the beginning of last season. I expect him to drop fast this year.
This ^^^^

Thomas will definitely have a sub-par year this season.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its a decent list.

I never felt like the habs were outclassed in any goalie matchup last season with Price in net. Now its just a matter of doing it season after season.

Here's my top 10
  1. Rinne
  2. Lundqvist
  3. Miller
  4. Price
  5. Thomas
  6. Vokoun
  7. Ward
  8. Kiprusoff
  9. Halak
  10. Hiller

How is Fleury not in your top 10?

Old
07-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Adam91

Luongo at 6 lol, there's 10 goalies I'd rather have then him.

Old
07-31-2011, 02:13 PM
WestIslander

All of a sudden Thomas is the best goalie in the world? Give me a break, where was Thomas last season when Rask was the starter and everyone in Boston wanted to trade Thomas for a draft pick or prospect?

Thomas played well this season, in the playoffs and was stellar in the finals but if you ask me, he is almost 40 and will not be able to repeat the performance ever again.

Carey Price, Marc-Andre Fleury and Cam Ward are among the best goalies in the NHL going forward, Carey Price can be the best in the world if and when he wants to be.

Old
07-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
All of a sudden Thomas is the best goalie in the world? Give me a break, where was Thomas last season when Rask was the starter and everyone in Boston wanted to trade Thomas for a draft pick or prospect?
"All of a sudden?" He has won 2 of the last 3 Vezina trophies, where have you been?

Old
07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
How is Fleury not in your top 10?
I wouldn't take Fleury over any of those guys. I've never been impressed by him at all.

Old
07-31-2011, 02:52 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I wouldn't take Fleury over any of those guys. I've never been impressed by him at all.
Me neither but to be honest at this point I'd take him over Luongo. Luongo now is like Fleury was years ago!

Old
07-31-2011, 03:15 PM
sandman08

y'all realize its a fantasy thing right? for all those lists theyre doing? fantasy value is being considered..

Old
07-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
According to you, it isn't. Because he hasn't won anything in either place.
But Price has, right?

Quote:
The point, which clearly went over your head, was that Luongo according to you wasn't qualified to lead Canada to a gold medal at those Olympics.
huh?

Quote:
On top of that, you'll find a lot of people who will disagree with your assessment of his play during that tournament. He played well, not terrific.
Right, but I guess you'll never know how Price would have played, because the last time he played on a big stage, he was replaced by Halak.

Quote:
And it's hard for Price to win World Championship Gold when he's never been at the tournament. But apparently Luongo being unable to win in Florida allowed him to prove he could win at the WCs. Quite the little paradox you've set up there.
Really? You don't think there's a little more to it than that? Maybe the fact he played on a terrible Florida team, and still got the nod to start for Canada isn't a little bit telling about what they saw in him? Take the blinders off, there are other great goalies out there.

Quote:
Again, I'd rather choose my goalies based on how good they are, not what teams they happened to be on.
Like Team Canada does for the worlds, and Olympics? Gotcha, thanks for proving my point. Hence the reason they picked up Brodeur... for the exact same reasons you just gave.
Price falters when the team is on a magical run, but he somehow deserves to be ranked higher in your mind? What sort of mystery formula are you using if you are going to predict which goaltender to start in a big game?

Old
07-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Talent Analyst

IMO, Pavelec and Hiller are way too low. The rest is good in general.

Old
07-31-2011, 03:57 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
But Price has, right?

huh?

Right, but I guess you'll never know how Price would have played, because the last time he played on a big stage, he was replaced by Halak.

Really? You don't think there's a little more to it than that? Maybe the fact he played on a terrible Florida team, and still got the nod to start for Canada isn't a little bit telling about what they saw in him? Take the blinders off, there are other great goalies out there.

Like Team Canada does for the worlds, and Olympics? Gotcha, thanks for proving my point. Hence the reason they picked up Brodeur... for the exact same reasons you just gave.
Price falters when the team is on a magical run, but he somehow deserves to be ranked higher in your mind? What sort of mystery formula are you using if you are going to predict which goaltender to start in a big game?

huh... who was under Price mask last PO then ?

If everything is "numbered", your Luongo wont be the guy... I mean, didnt he watch from the bench a few times in the last SCF...

it's all about numbers then, 2 SO - pulled 2X = average goaltending... right ?

Closed Thread