HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ian Laperriere

Old
07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
MASE THE ACE

vCash: 500
Ian Laperriere

Does anyone think he will play at all this season or is he just accepting his final mil till next season when he retires from the NHL

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:52 PM
HaughNasty

I think he's good as done and the Flyers will give him some front office job. He will be on LTIR until his contract is up I would imagine.

HaughNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
DumpyD

Doesn't he already have a position with the team?

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Doesn't he already have a position with the team?
I think he's a coaching assistant of some sort right now. I remember him being at the developmental camp a few weeks back helping out Schenn and Couturier and the rest of the young guys.

E: obviously he's still on the books as a player, so I guess that makes him an unofficial assistant.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaughNasty View Post
I think he's good as done and the Flyers will give him some front office job. He will be on LTIR until his contract is up I would imagine.
I concur. He was helping at the development camp so maybe he has a future working with the rookies as a coach or some other interactive position with players. Keeping him on the LTIR is the best way to keep his cap off the books.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
It's going to be hard to convince the league to LTIR him if that position is permanent. Was it temporary, or does he still hold it?

07-26-2011, 02:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
It is unlikely he plays again. The title was informal and the team's current organizational chart does not list his name under Player Development or otherwise. It could be related to the cap.

He also became part owner of a team in Q with Briere and J.S. Giguere.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I'm guessing it was just temporary. A job to get something good out of both ends, for Lappy to help the prospects and for him to get his feet wet in the coaching at higher levels.

Here's a video that was posted a couple weeks back.
Lappy

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Its highly unlikely he plays again. To bad because he embodied what being a Flyer stands for and I was hoping he could have played out his contract.That being said it looks like they will find a spot in the organization for him.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

As others have said he is most likely done but he was working with prospects in rookie camp. Even last year he was working with the "black aces" if I remember correctly. I suspect anything he does for the Flyers now and in the immediate future will be unofficial until his contract expires. He has expressed repeatedly that he wants to try and play again so I would imagine at some point this season an article to be released on the subject as a sort of progress report/update.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:37 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I doubt the league does anything. Lappy has been a warrior, and has shown true sacrifice. Wasn't that blocked shot also used in their marketing promo?

I see the league turning a blind eye to Lappy being on the LTIR. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if the NHLPA flied some sort of grievance if they tried to force him to retire.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Again, You can have a job while playing in the NHL. There is no rule against it......

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
MsWoof

I'd be shocked if he played again. I just hope he has a normal life because so many people with injuries to the head have problems forever.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
On a related topic, is the contract still counted towards the 50 total contracts if he retires since it is 35+? I assume it does but I am not sure I ever saw that discussed.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I just want to say that I LOVE LAPPY!

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:30 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
On a related topic, is the contract still counted towards the 50 total contracts if he retires since it is 35+? I assume it does but I am not sure I ever saw that discussed.
Yes thats why he's at the Length Tropical Island Resort.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:35 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's going to be hard to convince the league to LTIR him if that position is permanent. Was it temporary, or does he still hold it?
how the hell would it be difficult to convince the NHL that he can't play anymore? he still gets concussion symptoms

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:59 AM
MASE THE ACE

maybe hell replace homer

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
how the hell would it be difficult to convince the NHL that he can't play anymore? he still gets concussion symptoms
LTIR is for players who are injured but attempting to play (Sort of like unemployment, you are only eligible if you prove you are out of work temporarily and attempting to find work, you can't collect if you retire).

If he is a coach, he could be considered retired. There is a difference cap wise. The rule is a little gray and the Flyers are keeping him on LTIR so they can go over the cap to replace him (which gets complicated, you have to be OVER the cap to get any relief). If he is retired, there is no LTIR relief but his contact does count against the cap (35+). I don't think the NHL has Lappy and his status on its priority list. He will sit out the year and retire next year.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
turkinaa

I think he's going to try to return and play if possible since I think everyone would love it for him to play so they'll LTIR because I doubt, at this time, he'll be cleared to play this season. Then he'll retire and take some organization spot. For a player that just won the Bill Masterton I don't the NHL will force the Flyers to carry his contract if he serves the team in a capacity that is beyond being a player on the LTIR.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:12 PM
KaraLupin
카라

He has said his eye gets better everyday, but he liked being a kind of veteran to the prospects in camp and teaching them. He spoke about all the other coaches when talking about himself and the prospects, so you can sort of see he is already grouping himself into the coaching area.

He also said he likes being able to spend more time with his family, and is/has gone for his American citizenship test with his son, that should say alot.

And Flyers management will also pressure him to retire, as claiming LTIR does nothing in the long run for either the team or him, as opposed to just retiring.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:58 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
He has said his eye gets better everyday, but he liked being a kind of veteran to the prospects in camp and teaching them. He spoke about all the other coaches when talking about himself and the prospects, so you can sort of see he is already grouping himself into the coaching area.

He also said he likes being able to spend more time with his family, and is/has gone for his American citizenship test with his son, that should say alot.

And Flyers management will also pressure him to retire, as claiming LTIR does nothing in the long run for either the team or him, as opposed to just retiring.
Where are you hearing that management will pressure him to retire? If he does, his cap hit counts but if he goes on LTIR it doesn't.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 02:01 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
It does when it keeps his salary off the books due to his 35+ contract. If he retires it still counts against against the cap. There is always that "outside chance" of him playing again and I'm sure the organization and fans would want him to play again, it just doesn't seem like it will happen, especially when he is doing a lot of off the ice activities, and as such getting him onto the LTIR is a must to not have his cap hit under the proper circumstances.

Old
07-31-2011, 05:01 PM
VanSciver

Quote:

The last thing Flyers management wants him to do is retire. You might want to brush up on how LTIR works

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Again, You can have a job while playing in the NHL. There is no rule against it......
Actually, there is. This ain't flipping burgers. And as a player, he cannot have a separate coaching job that pays (per CBA as additional payments/circumvention). In fact, Mrs. Lappy can't be employed with the team in an effort to provide additional benefit to a player in a way that can be judged as cap circumvention.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote