HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2011, 03:57 PM
  #126
hXc Chris
Registered User
 
hXc Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Chester
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
solution for you:

you can add NHL package.

sign up for online bill payments / account mgt

a few weeks later, unplug your DISH reciever for a day & tell them you 'moved' to another area of the country. you'll need to come up with an address [that will be your 'service location'] and tell them not to send bills anymore, since you have signed up for online bill payments / account mgt


that 'city' will be your 'home market' [ie: NOT Philly market]

then, the Flyers won't be blacked out on the NHL package. Ever.

then, when CSN Philly goes 'live' on DISH, you can 'move' back into Philly. [use you real address]

the only drawback for you is if you don't get Philly local channels over the air

the most logical area to pick is the NY City area
I hope this works, i've tried everything to bypass this blackout. I changed my address to Florida, registered everything to my aunt's house in Florida and it still had me blacked out.

I figured that it didnt matter where I was based but the box signal pulling a Philadelphia ip address is what kept me blacked out.

I almost tried having my aunt send me one of her boxes from Florida and giving that a shot but decided it probably wouldnt work either. So frustrating!

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:24 PM
  #127
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
ive been doing this with DTV since Comcast pulled CSN Philly from it's basic package ... 8 years or so

don't see why it would be any different w/DISH

if you have a telephone line plugged into your box, unplug it. tell them you only have a cellphone.

what do you mean 'ip' address ?

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
  #128
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
I hope this works, i've tried everything to bypass this blackout. I changed my address to Florida, registered everything to my aunt's house in Florida and it still had me blacked out.

I figured that it didnt matter where I was based but the box signal pulling a Philadelphia ip address is what kept me blacked out.

I almost tried having my aunt send me one of her boxes from Florida and giving that a shot but decided it probably wouldnt work either. So frustrating!
Keep in mind that what Bernie Parent 1974 suggested you do is illegal.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
  #129
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
totally agree with you on this one. EAT IT, Comcast



yes, it IS a stupid question:

it is NOT about CSN Philly not being shown nationwide on Comcast. Comcast does NOT make ANY of the CSNs available on its OWN system nationwide outside of that CSN's territory.

this ENTIRE thread is about the Terrestrial Loophole, and how Comcast keeps CSN Philly from other distributors by invoking it.

you are either intentionally trying to cloud the issue, or simply just don't understand it.

I KNOW Comcast is screwing some of its customers: customers with Comcast [just like non comcast customers] nationwide get denied CSN Philly via a competitor, while they DO get CSN Chicago etc etc via a competitor.
I understand the issue with the loophole completely. You apparently don't understand the ability to discuss related issues, such as your repeated claims that Comcast screws its own customers.

You've made the claim repeatedly that Comcast screws some of its own customers by not allowing CSN-P to air on satellite while allowing all other CSNs on satellite. This is the issue we're discussing. Anytime someone disputes this with you, you hide under the covers to say that this topic is only about the loophole -when it's not - because you've made it be about something else.

I don't think you understand what "screwing your own Dcustomers" means.

Comcast customers can get ONLY their regional CSN on their Comcast system.

DirecTV customers have the option of purchasing the CSN package, which includes all CSNs except CSN-P through their DirecTV system.

Customers of both systems can have the option of purchasing the CSN package, which includes all CSNs except CSN-P through their DirecTV system.

If those dual-service customers cancel their DirecTV service, they go back to being able to only get their regional CSN on the Comcast service.

Since Comcast broadcasts only regional CSNs to Comcast-only customers, Comcast by definition is not screwing its own customers. Additionally, you cannot "screw" someone who makes a choice to purchase an optional package.

Furthermore, to bring up an earlier point, all CSNs are in fact not equal.
  • CSN-MidAtlantic does not broadcast Nationals or Orioles games. Therefore, CSN-P has more value than CSN-MA.
  • CSN-Bay Area does not broadcast SJ Sharks games. Therefore, CSN-P has more value than CSN-Bay Area.
  • CSN-New England broadcasts neither the Red Sox nor the Bruins. Therefore, CSN-P has more value than CSN-New England.

CSN-California and CSN-Chicago are on par with CSN-P.

CSN-Northwest (broadcasts TrailBlazers and Oregon Ducks, but not the Seattle Mariners) is not available on DirecTV, Dish Network, or Charter Communications because Comcast believes it should be made available on those systems on a lower tier, while the satellite providers feel otherwise, and feel Comcast's price is too high. I wonder if since DirecTV is so benevolent, why they wouldn't want CSN-NW on a low tier for its Pacific Northwest Customers?

CSN-Houston launches in 2012, and will not carry professional hockey. It will have a lower value than CSN-P.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:59 PM
  #130
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
Comcast wont run a line down my street because I live out in the sticks, their line stops right at the end of my block. They refuse to offer me service, they say it wont be cost effective enough to continue running the line an extra 200 feet. So i'm forced to get Dish and then when I try to watch the games on Dish they black me out. I'm only 45mins away from the city of Philadelphia and they black me out.

I hope the entire Corporation burns in hell. F Comcast and F their greedy business practices.
You realize utility companies can't just run lines wherever they want, right? Municipalities have franchise areas designated for certain utilities, and it's all regulated (in PA) through the Public Utilities Commission. Depending on the actual situation it most likely IS cost-prohibitive for them to run a line 200 feet to serve just a handful of houses. It's the same for cable as it is for public sewer and public water. If it's just a handful of connections, you have to pay for the extension yourself. If it's a situation where the utility will profit, then they'll run the line themselves.

As for Comcast's "greedy business practices," it's called a "good business model." They didn't become the largest cable provider by acting foolishly from a business model standpoint. And satellite companies are far from being shining pillars of light themselves.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:16 PM
  #131
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Keep in mind that what Bernie Parent 1974 suggested you do is illegal.

yup !! STICK IT TO COMCA$T !!!!

EFF them !!! those 'screwing some of their own customer' bastages !!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
You apparently don't understand the ability to discuss related issues, such as your repeated claims that Comcast screws its own customers.
i stopped reading right there, dave. i've go no interest debating with someone who refuses to accept that if a consumers has DTV, he is a DTV customer. If he also has Comcast, he also is a Comcast customer. If comcast is screwing him out of CSN Philly, then Comcast is, quite clearly, screwing one of it's customers.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
  #132
hXc Chris
Registered User
 
hXc Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Chester
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
You realize utility companies can't just run lines wherever they want, right? Municipalities have franchise areas designated for certain utilities, and it's all regulated (in PA) through the Public Utilities Commission. Depending on the actual situation it most likely IS cost-prohibitive for them to run a line 200 feet to serve just a handful of houses. It's the same for cable as it is for public sewer and public water. If it's just a handful of connections, you have to pay for the extension yourself. If it's a situation where the utility will profit, then they'll run the line themselves.

As for Comcast's "greedy business practices," it's called a "good business model." They didn't become the largest cable provider by acting foolishly from a business model standpoint. And satellite companies are far from being shining pillars of light themselves.
Good business model is to make some of your customers pay for privledges that the majority get for free? Good business is to say to said customers you cant have service, but if you try to watch your local sports team without our services we'll black you out? I'm sorry this is the worst type of "business" I could ever imagine.

You want to talk about ethics? Lets start with the fact that they selectively offer service to whoever they want, and if you dont like it you can pay thousands of dollars more for service that other customers get for free, or you can sell your house and move to a "comcast" covered area.

Ok well then dont come crying to me when people are stealing your cable, finding loop holes in your unfair system, or slandering your "good business"

I'm sorry this is joke if you think that this is how loyal fans should be treated just trying to watch their team.

They offer CSN on FiOS, they offer CSN on Armstrong, but they'll black every other local person out.

Comcast is greedy, its as simple as that. I will take advantage of them the best I can, I feel no shame, or sympathy for such a greedy billion dollar corporation.

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:10 PM
  #133
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
some around here think it's 'good business' to keep CSN Philly from Flyers fans nationwide .... when they don't keep CSN 'X' from fans of other NHL teams nationwide .......

i'd say that's not 'good business' ... it's COMCASTIC !!!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
  #134
John Wayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
John Wayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
So we got DTV installed in our loft apt and the specialist told us that they are working on having CSN for the start of the season since the courts stopped the loophole, but there may be a charge to get said channel. I will pay the extra 6-8 per month to be able to watch the Flyers, 8 split between me and 2 other dudes is nothing. Heres hoping we get it in time for the puck drop.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:27 AM
  #135
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
So we got DTV installed in our loft apt and the specialist told us that they are working on having CSN for the start of the season since the courts stopped the loophole, but there may be a charge to get said channel. I will pay the extra 6-8 per month to be able to watch the Flyers, 8 split between me and 2 other dudes is nothing. Heres hoping we get it in time for the puck drop.
are you considering getting NHL Center Ice package? or just want the Flyers games?

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 06:34 AM
  #136
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
are you considering getting NHL Center Ice package? or just want the Flyers games?
If they offered a package that had CSN for $6 a month on FIOS up in Central/North Jersey, I'd be conflicted if I would get that or NHL Center Ice. If you want CSN for Flyers, Phils, Sixers, etc, get CSN. But I've gotten the Center Ice Package the last 4 years, and whenever hockey season is on, it's all I watch, outside of DVRed shows. I'd highly recommend it if you're an all-around hockey fan (instead of just a Flyers fan). Can be pricey though. Think they raised the price last year by like $12.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:50 AM
  #137
John Wayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
John Wayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
I live in Philly, the building I live in cannot get Comcast as it is considered a commercial building and they would charge outrageous prices for sports channels. I plan on getting both CSN and the NHL package as I have 3 roomates that split the cost with me. $6 for comcast is better than no having it, like I said Ill gladly put up 2 extra dollars per month.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 07:52 AM
  #138
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,465
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Am I reading things correctly? If you get DirecTV in the Philly area you don't get CSN and you can't watch the Flyers on Center Ice?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 06:53 PM
  #139
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
I live in Philly, the building I live in cannot get Comcast as it is considered a commercial building and they would charge outrageous prices for sports channels. I plan on getting both CSN and the NHL package as I have 3 roomates that split the cost with me. $6 for comcast is better than no having it, like I said Ill gladly put up 2 extra dollars per month.
solution for you:

you can add NHL package to DTV, but wont get CSN Philly until Comcast gives up the fight

sign up for online bill payments / account mgt

a week later, unplug your DTV reciever for a day & tell them you 'moved' to another area of the country. you'll need to come up with an address [that will be your 'service location'] and tell them not to send bills anymore, since you have signed up for online bill payments / account mgt


that 'city' will be your 'home market' [ie: NOT Philly market]

then, the Flyers won't be blacked out on the NHL package. Ever.

then, when CSN Philly goes 'live' on DTV, you can 'move' back into Philly. [use you real address]

the only drawback for you is if you won't get Philly local channels on DTV

the most logical area to pick is the NY City area

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 06:56 PM
  #140
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Am I reading things correctly? If you get DirecTV in the Philly area you don't get CSN and you can't watch the Flyers on Center Ice?
you don't get CSN Philly, but you CAN get ALL Flyers games on Centre Ice

see above

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 07:23 PM
  #141
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,465
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
you don't get CSN Philly, but you CAN get ALL Flyers games on Centre Ice

see above
But other than that you can't, correct? No CSN and Flyers blacked out on Center Ice? Eff that.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 07:26 PM
  #142
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
But other than that you can't, correct? No CSN and Flyers blacked out on Center Ice? Eff that.
thanks to: Comcast

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 08:08 PM
  #143
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Right, even if you get Center Ice, the games will get blacked out in the Philly area.

Perk of living out of the area. I'm forced to get Center Ice, and the Flyers games never get blacked out. I love watching random hockey games.

Only downfall is unless you get Center Ice on DirecTV, not every game is in HD. Although that's slowly changing.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
  #144
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Right, even if you get Center Ice, the games will get blacked out in the Philly area.
and that's why it's smart to 'move' [give DTV an 'out of Philly market' address as your service location] out of the Philly area

then, you'll get EVERY Flyers game on DTV right now [with Center Ice] even though you are physically in the Philly Market

I call this the Anti Terrestrial Loophole Loophole

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
  #145
zbryne
Registered User
 
zbryne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
So all of direct TVs center ice games are in HD?

My timewarner cable only has two HD channel for center ice and they usually only broadcast one HD game a night.

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 09:51 PM
  #146
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
and that's why it's smart to 'move' [give DTV an 'out of Philly market' address as your service location] out of the Philly area

then, you'll get EVERY Flyers game on DTV right now [with Center Ice] even though you are physically in the Philly Market

I call this the Anti Terrestrial Loophole Loophole
Others call this fraud.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:42 PM
  #147
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Others call this fraud.
somehow, some way, I'll still manage to sleep tonite

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:46 AM
  #148
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
somehow, some way, I'll still manage to sleep tonite
...on a cot in a prison cell.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
  #149
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Whatever. Stealin is stealin.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:30 PM
  #150
John Wayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
John Wayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
Im all for it, ill let you know how it works out come october if we dont have CSN by then.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.