HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Ville Marie tunnel - Concrete structure collapses

Old
07-31-2011, 11:46 PM
JackZap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
they give u any money? or the no fault ******** save their ass? Should get their ***** sued

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:12 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Can't sue them because I wasn't hurt. (yes, I did ask a professional)

anyway I'd rather not discuss this publicaly

knuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:15 AM
PricePkPatch

What really worries me is if we will ever get this thing back in order eventually before this spirals out of control. More accidents means less economical activities due to fear and risk, less economical activities mean less gov income. Less gov income mean less repairs. Less repairs means more accident.

Or am I just being nervous for no reason?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:19 AM
CaptainC

This is why we need paying roads.

CaptainC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

That's why I either walk or take the metro.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:27 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
What really worries me is if we will ever get this thing back in order eventually before this spirals out of control. More accidents means less economical activities due to fear and risk, less economical activities mean less gov income. Less gov income mean less repairs. Less repairs means more accident.

Or am I just being nervous for no reason?
I doubt it goes that far, but the government definitely needs a slap in the face and I'm afraid the only thing that would do it is the collapse of one of the main infrastructure of montreal

Old
08-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

man quebec is like greece
the government is so corrupt, that half the employees are getting paid to do nothing cause they're related to someone who could get them a job....and especially in construction...
i know somebody that worked road construction for montreal for 5 years and he told me he never did anything...just sat in his truck all night...

this is pretty bad...

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:31 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainC View Post
This is why we need paying roads.
Exactly. People can complain that it will cost them more money and so, but it's the price to pay to drive without dangers. There's a major difference right when you cross the US border : There, the roads are brand new, nothing looks like it's going to collapse, etc., all of this because of the tolls. If we were to have this in Quebec, I wouldn't be as scared to go to Montreal. At least, if it's not as corrupteds as I think it would be.

My parents even cancelled a little trip we were going to pass in Montreal because of this.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:31 AM
TheFalk

The "suburbs" way of life has many consequances, one being that all the people who need to commute to the Island DAILY ,to work or go to school, are using the infrastructures alot more than they should, hence the traffic jams and the faster degradation of the structures. Alot of people are complaining about taxes being too high, roads and bridges being in shambles, traffic jams being recurrent.. and non question what role their lifestyle play in this..

The great american dream of buying an affordable house outside the main city's area (at lower cost) and still going to work there at a higher wage (or better job if you like) has its downsides, and there you have it, people use the car as a daily way of transportation and cause many problems to the society and to themselves ( all the crap you guys mentioned + more pollution, price of gas goes up because of more consumption and more people relying on it, people get indebt because they pay for a house (Mortgage) and a car + the gas and repairs..) ..

And what do you get ? "Rich nations" going bankrupt because of that and many other non senses that go on today and that people dont recognise because they love their unsustainable way of life..

No judgement here, just an observation...

Live simple, live long.
Live expensive, die fast.

/Life

TheFalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I cringe every time I drive under an overpass, or over a bridge in traffic. I now avoid the Champlain bridge completely, and LH Lafontaine worries me. JC seems OK, but what do I know?

The only time I've felt this nervous driving was going through major tunnels/bridges in NYC for a time after 9/11.

They need to get their ***** in gear. It's pretty pathetic and embarrassing at this point.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
Can't sue them because I wasn't hurt. (yes, I did ask a professional)

anyway I'd rather not discuss this publicaly
Glad you're ok. That was one heck of an article.
You almost got seriously injured and it could have been worse than an injury, and what do you get...lots of boring paperwork (like doing taxes).

In the end...it's good you're ok.

I'm pissed off as well about this Ville-Marie tunnel (for many many years I just never liked taking that tunnel/highway...never).

Highway tunnels (parts of it) falling apart risking a life or lives of many people...

Potholes: and this is also still a problem...

I hope some changes will come out of this or else...what are they waiting for? many many lives to be lost?

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

this thread is turning into post trade deadline freakout.

Luckily no one died. Yes the roads are in need of repair, but we complain when we do repair them because it causes traffic. I dont have a report of city infrastructure within my reach, but im sure many metropolitain cities have issues with bridges are roads.
You chose to live here. Its not perfect, but some of you act like we live in third world conditions.

Other cities/towns have to worry about floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, etc etc, and those are things they cant even control.

Vive le Quebec!

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:45 AM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
Exactly. People can complain that it will cost them more money and so, but it's the price to pay to drive without dangers. There's a major difference right when you cross the US border : There, the roads are brand new, nothing looks like it's going to collapse, etc., all of this because of the tolls. If we were to have this in Quebec, I wouldn't be as scared to go to Montreal. At least, if it's not as corrupteds as I think it would be.

My parents even cancelled a little trip we were going to pass in Montreal because of this.
Not only the US, I went to Toronto last month and every time I passed a constuction site, I said "Wow, they're actually getting something done, and with quality" unlike some places here where everything is just a quick fix with asphalt.
I've actually seen a place downtown (somewhere around Place des Arts, I believe that actually had the sidewalk repaired with asphalt patches, and the road repaired with concrete patches. It looked ****ing retarded.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Not only the US, I went to Toronto last month and every time I passed a constuction site, I said "Wow, they're actually getting something done, and with quality" unlike some places here where everything is just a quick fix with asphalt.
I've actually seen a place downtown (somewhere around Place des Arts, I believe that actually had the sidewalk repaired with asphalt patches, and the road repaired with concrete patches. It looked ****ing retarded.
Someone should have recorded it with their cellphone, Youtubed it!

are you sure they weren't also using DUCT-TAPE!!

Old
08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
n0pan
waddup doe

Send a message via Skype™ to n0pan
my dad came home and told us that he was about 5 minutes away from being inside the tunnel when it happened. he woke up late and when he got to the tunnel it was already blocked so thank goodness.

n0pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
this thread is turning into post trade deadline freakout.

Luckily no one died. Yes the roads are in need of repair, but we complain when we do repair them because it causes traffic. I dont have a report of city infrastructure within my reach, but im sure many metropolitain cities have issues with bridges are roads.
You chose to live here. Its not perfect, but some of you act like we live in third world conditions.

Other cities/towns have to worry about floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, etc etc, and those are things they cant even control.

Vive le Quebec!
You're right...we don't have earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis...not yet or not in our lifetimes, but still...does it mean we shouldn't be concerned about never-ending potholes, parts of the bridges, Olympic Stadium, buildings, tunnels falling apart...?

Aren't these tunnels inspected? (they say so, but it's hard to believe).

If we shouldn't be that concerned 'cause it wasn't any of us who were injured or killed on HF, then at least lower our taxes dramatically.

All silly kidding aside...this is a serious situation, panic won't help, but some answers and proper action by the Quebec government would help...

Old
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Teufelsdreck

The infrastructure needs more upgrading than the Habs. The long range solution lies in elections, not in amateur drafts,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:15 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I cringe every time I drive under an overpass, or over a bridge in traffic. I now avoid the Champlain bridge completely, and LH Lafontaine worries me. JC seems OK, but what do I know?

The only time I've felt this nervous driving was going through major tunnels/bridges in NYC for a time after 9/11.

They need to get their ***** in gear. It's pretty pathetic and embarrassing at this point.
Just curious, what do you do in NYC and MTL, just seems odd for those two cities.

Also In regards to what your talking about I live in Halifax, NS and we have two bridges,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Murray_MacKay_Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_L._Macdonald_Bridge

The Mackay and the Macdonald, the Mackay was built in the 60's/70's and the other was built in the 50's. They charge us a toll to cross, usually if your a resident it's 70 cents, non residents its 1$. (macpass vs. no macpass). What they do is they then stockpile the money, and do continuous never ending maintenance on them, for example, the bridges each year change a different tint of green. This is because each year they start at one end and go right across to the other. Then they take all the gear to the other side and start painting again. Every five years they replace a lane and every ten they replace the bridge deck. In fact on the older of the two(which is closer to downtown). They've added bike lanes to the sides as well as suicide rails. I honestly couldn't tell you when there was last a maintenance related injury or problem with those bridges. The only issue we have is they do a lot of the paving maintenance during the summer backing traffic up. Also there's discussions about building another bridge soon, that they already have some saved up to put into building it.

Just showing how effective a toll can be, at preventing these kinds of things

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:41 AM
FrankMTL

If it takes a toll, than I have no problem with this. Hell maybe it'll convince some people to take public transportation. I lived in the west island most of my life and did the whole downtown commute till last year when I finally had enough and moved to Petite Patrie...Makes my life so much easier with all the public transportation options. I understand that this is not an option for most people, but we all have to try and do our part.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:57 AM
La Grosse Tendresse

This structure was built in 1986 and wasn't in bad condition.

It collapsed due to vibrations from the work they were doing in order to build a hospital on top of the highway (CHUM). They were working on the highway structure in order to make it withstand the weight of the hospital on top of it.

So this isn't really about the bad state of our infrastructure (which is really bad, I know), but more about the incompetence of either the engineers who supervised the work or the workers themselves. They are the ones that should have realized the dangers associated with what they were doing.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
You're right...we don't have earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis...not yet or not in our lifetimes, but still...does it mean we shouldn't be concerned about never-ending potholes, parts of the bridges, Olympic Stadium, buildings, tunnels falling apart...?

Aren't these tunnels inspected? (they say so, but it's hard to believe).

If we shouldn't be that concerned 'cause it wasn't any of us who were injured or killed on HF, then at least lower our taxes dramatically.

All silly kidding aside...this is a serious situation, panic won't help, but some answers and proper action by the Quebec government would help...

About earthquakes, we do sit on an active fault line and the risk for a potentially damaging earthquake here is quite real.

"In 1732, an earthquake estimated at 5.8 on the Richter scale shook Montreal, causing significant damage.
In 1935, the area of Temiscaming was shaken by an earthquake of magnitude 6.2.
In 1944, an earthquake of magnitude 5.6, located between Cornwall, Ontario and Massena, N.Y., caused damage evaluated at two million dollars of the time."

http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...n-eng.php#WQSZ

If a 5.6 magnitude quake caused damages estimated at 2 mil in a fairly rural area in 1944, imagine what one with its epicenter under Montreal would do now considering how fragile some of these major structures appear to be.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Habsfan18

Guys, let's please NOT turn this into a political debate.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
knuck
On and off fan

What else is there to talk about ? No offense but you are in ontario, you just don't get to see how dangerous our roads are so it's normal for you not to be inclined to blame the government for this whereas we have to deal with this on a daily basis. The last few months have been awful and the population is about to uproar

Old
08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Jigger77

I think he meant don't turn it into a nationalistic debate. Seems like it was headed there. Could be wrong though.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer

It surprised me it happened at Tunnel Ville-Marie, its one of the ''newer'' infrastructure and looks in very good state compared to Turcot and all the south shore bridges.

At least for the last few years, there's been plenty of projects to replace failing infrastructure. I dream of the day we have a city without orange cones everywhere.

Sergei Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote