HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason 2012

Old
07-30-2011, 10:40 PM
ETP95

vCash: 500
Offseason 2012

I know it's a little early (as the 2011-12 season hasn't even started yet), but what do you think the Capitals should do next summer with only 7 forwards, 4 d-men (Poti's done), and 1 goalie under contract. I'll list the player, their free agent status, and 2011-12 salary and you tell me what GMGM should do with that player:

Alex Semin - UFA - 6.7M
Mike Knuble - UFA - 2M
Jason Chimera - UFA - 1.875M
Jeff Halpern - UFA - 0.825M
DJ King - UFA - 0.640M
Jay Beagle - RFA - 0.510M

Mike Green - RFA - 5.25M
Dennis Wideman - UFA - 3.9M
John Carlson - RFA - 0.845M

Tomas Vokoun - UFA - 1.5M

So we need (at least) 5 forwards, 2 d-men, and 1 goalie with 26M to spend.

Well, tackling the goalies first, I think Vokoun is just a 1 year thing, for this year's playoff run. So he will walk and Holtby will be (finally) called up for full-time duty. At only 640K, he is a bargain and still leaves us with 25.4M.

That was the easy part. Now D. With only Alzner-Hamerlik-Schultz-Erskine under contract, the D corpse could use some work. Carlson is almost a lock to be resigned (bringing back the top pairing of Alzner-Carlson). What happens next is really up in the air. Does GMGM max-out Green's value when he's an RFA and bring back the cheaper Wideman? Does he let Wideman go and resign Green? Long-term? Or short-term? With Orlov (most likely) making the team next year, I think Green would be the perfect player to help him develop his offensive game from very good to elite. Depending on how Green does this year, he should be able to be resigned for about 5.9M (19.5M left).

So, to recap, our D and goalies hould look something like this next year:

Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Green
Hamerlik-Schultz
Erskine

Neuvirth
Holtby

The forwards are another mess. For sure gone (IMO) are Knuble, Chimera, King, and Beagle. Whether their rights are traded around the draft or just walk via free agency, I wouldn't mind if they left. Knuble will be replaced by Kuznetsov on the first line and Chimera/King/Beagle are 4th liners at best, so they're all easily replaced. The one exception could be Beagle. GMGM might retain him for depth purposes. If Halpern plays well this year (and wants to return) he could be brought back as the 4th line C for one more year at around 900K. Semin is the biggest FA forward next year. I believe with all the rookies (ELC) coming in this year and next (Kuznetsov, Eakin, Orlov, Holtby, Sjogren), the Caps will have enough cap room to retain Semin (at around 6.1M) and have one of the deadliest 2nd lines in the league. So with resigning those 2 players and bringing up the rookies, the Capitals have around 8.5M left (assuming the cap stays the same). So they forwards could look like this:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kuznetsov
Laich-Johansson-Semin
Brouwer-Eakin-Ward
Sjogren-Halpern-Hendricks

A couple other thoughts on this 2012 lineup: I think Holtby will wrestle the starting job away from Neuvirth partway through the season - he's that good. The D is basically the same, except switch Wideman for Orlov. The bottom 2 forward lines look really good defensively with the potential to score. How good will that 2nd line be? Semin is a 40 goal scorer, Laich is a good power/2way forward and Johansson will have another year under his belt. And finally, I am (right now) picking Kuznetsov for the Calder in 2012-13 if he plays on the first line with Ovie and Nicki. Imagine how many point he could put up! At least (IMO) 30 goals and 70 points! Rookie of the year right there! He's been said to be the most mature and mos skilled prospect not in the NHL, and he'll have another KHL under his belt as well!

Final Thoughts: This lineup looks really good, and that's without any free agent signings. GMGM could add a few players via FA and this club could be a SC favourite again next year! What do you think?

ETP95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 07:40 AM
txpd

bubble bursting time. til we see these players play this season, there is next to no chance of making quality projections. we can just start with the goalie. vokoun takes them to the finals and mcphee just lets him walk? really? thats for sure?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
ETP95

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
bubble bursting time. til we see these players play this season, there is next to no chance of making quality projections. we can just start with the goalie. vokoun takes them to the finals and mcphee just lets him walk? really? thats for sure?
Well, he's not going to play for 1.5M after this year if he takes them to the finals. More like he'll be asking for 6+, and that's not worth it when you have 2 young promising goalies. You can't tell me you'd send Holtby down to the AHL AGAIN.... he's to good for that!

Old
07-31-2011, 12:21 PM
txpd

i have to see him play and see the results. most people thought sergei fedorov was a stretch run/playoffs rental only. by the end of the playoffs it was clear that he had to stay and the caps found $4m to keep him.

i see several scenarios where the caps want to keep vokoun and where vokoun very much wants to stay. you have to see how the season fills out.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 12:28 PM
ETP95

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i have to see him play and see the results. most people thought sergei fedorov was a stretch run/playoffs rental only. by the end of the playoffs it was clear that he had to stay and the caps found $4m to keep him.

i see several scenarios where the caps want to keep vokoun and where vokoun very much wants to stay. you have to see how the season fills out.
How can he stay though? If he does, another one of our young goalies will probably be dealt, Holtby can't play in the minors forever.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETP95 View Post
How can he stay though? If he does, another one of our young goalies will probably be dealt, Holtby can't play in the minors forever.
Hes played in the minors what 2 seasons? It'll do him good to have a few seasons in the minors. I think fans are getting spoiled with young goalies doing ok for us and other teams and dont realize that most goalies dont make it to the club until the mid to late 20s

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:27 PM
ETP95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
Hes played in the minors what 2 seasons? It'll do him good to have a few seasons in the minors. I think fans are getting spoiled with young goalies doing ok for us and other teams and dont realize that most goalies dont make it to the club until the mid to late 20s
He'll have 3 by the end of this season, that's enough for a player of his skill. He's dominating down there and he's showed he can dominate in the NHL as well (10-2-2 1.79GAA 0.934SP). He should be up this year, but he'll get one more year of seasoning behind a stacked Hershey team and then he'll be up with the big club next season because GMGM can't justify giving Vokoun 6M when he has these 2 young goalies.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Brave Sir Robin

As far as forwards go, next year's UFAs don't look promising. We better hope we can retain Semin or sign Parise (in the unlikely even that his contract stays as it is right now).

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote