HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I like that hockey isn't that popular in NYC

Old
07-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
1) Hockey is popular in NY.
That is why the Rangers sold out 150+ games post lockout
Why the Rangers almost sell out nightly despite having a mostly medicore team
I'm not talking about the attendance. I'm talking about the media coverage and people actually playing hockey or talking hockey in NYC.

Quote:
2) Hockey is big in Westchester/NJ/LI/CT....less so in NYC due to the population "demographics" of an urban center.
Like I said already, I don't give a **** about places outside NYC. No offense, but I'm talking about NYC itself.

Quote:
3)
Hockey is not talked about that much in Boston. Their fans before this playoff run constantly were mad about being undercovered compared to the other 3 teams.
IN fact, the Bruins were ignored for almost 2 decades on WEEI and in the media until they got good, and even now they take a backseat to the Celtics, do not make me laugh, Boston has greatly ignored the Bruins.

An average Bruins team=14,000 fans and no media coverage
An average Rangers team=18,200 and some coverage
I also don't know where you're getting your information from that an average Boston team has 14,000 fans. Since 2000-01, they only had attendance in the 14,000's once. During this playoff run, they were being talked about more than any other Boston team, including the Red Sox and how well they're doing and the Celtics, who were also in the playoffs at the time.

07-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Seriously if you lived in Boston as I did or followed the Bruins you would know that hockey there was dead until 2011.
Back when I lived there the Bruins were average, and you could buy 10 buck seats and move to the 1st row (as I did), don't buy into the notion that Boston is a better hockeytown, they aren't, unless the Bruins are good they get WORSE coverage than the Rangers without the good attendance.
I'm not only talking about teams, I'm talking about hockey as a sport. Hockey is more popular in Boston than it is in NYC and that's a fact. More people play hockey there and they have college hockey teams, which we do not. There's also probably more little league hockey over there too. How many NHL players can you think of that are from NYC? I can think of three- Nick Fotiu, and Brian and Joe Mullen. How many hockey players are from Boston?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=kaneone;35546929]
Like I said already, I don't give a **** about places outside NYC. No offense, but I'm talking about NYC itself.
QUOTE]

You realize alot of those people you don't give a **** about are originally from the boroughs, still work in the boroughs, and spend alot of money and leisure time there. Most of the areas you're talking about are considered NYC suburbs so don't be too quick to discount what's going on out here in the "styx". I'm from Queens, now in Rockland, still work in the boroughs, and play anywhere a goalie is needed.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

[QUOTE=gluvhand;35550589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
QUOTE]

You realize alot of those people you don't give a **** about are originally from the boroughs, still work in the boroughs, and spend alot of money and leisure time there. Most of the areas you're talking about are considered NYC suburbs so don't be too quick to discount what's going on out here in the "styx". I'm from Queens, now in Rockland, still work in the boroughs, and play anywhere a goalie is needed.
I know that a lot of them are from NYC, but I keep saying I'm only talking about how hockey isn't that popular in NYC and people here is keep bringing up the suburbs that I keep saying I'm not talking about. It's not that "I don't give a **** about places outside NYC". It's just that I'm talking about NYC, so stop bringing up the suburbs because that's not the point I'm trying to make. You get it now?

Old
07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
gluvhand

[QUOTE=kaneone;35550797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post

I know that a lot of them are from NYC, but I keep saying I'm only talking about how hockey isn't that popular in NYC and people here is keep bringing up the suburbs that I keep saying I'm not talking about. It's not that "I don't give a **** about places outside NYC". It's just that I'm talking about NYC, so stop bringing up the suburbs because that's not the point I'm trying to make. You get it now?
Yeah. I get it. Your point isn't valid so you don't want anybody to point it out.

Old
07-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Yeah. I get it. Your point isn't valid so you don't want anybody to point it out.
So tell me what I'm wrong about instead of just telling me I'm wrong without any reasoning.

Old
07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
So tell me what I'm wrong about instead of just telling me I'm wrong without any reasoning.
I don't disagree with you about hockey not being popular. In fact, I think most of your arguements are spot on. I just disagree with your discounting the "suburb" factor and I explained why in my previous post. Also, NY, LA and a few other cities are different than most for alot of reasons, but particularly I believe, for how they influence and are influenced by their surrounding areas. The fact that you choose to narrow your arguement down to just NYC is obviously your right but consider this. Do you think most season ticket holders/fans of the Red Wings live IN Detroit and that most residents of Detroit proper are even Wings fans? Having spent alot of time in and around Detroit I can tell you the answer to both is no. I can say with some confidence that only in Canada will you have urban populations with hockey teams that are into hockey in large numbers. I think, in the states at least, the suburban factor has to be included.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
The answer is the OP is wrong.
Hockey IS popular in NY as much as it is for just about US City.
The Rangers are able to attrack sell out crowds with an average team, they had very good TV ratings in the playoffs (best since 1997).

If the Rangers were a cup contender NY would be an immense hockey city, but as it stands now, well you act like NY is like LA or MIA, and it's not.
You also act like NY is out of Boston's league, and you are so wrong there.
I've lived in both areas and believe hockey is just as popular, if not more, all things equal in NY as it is Boston if both teams have the same record.

We support hockey here in NY, this isn't the sunbelt, and Boston isn't "elite" over us.

I take offense to that statement.
I'm not trying to debate how popular hockey is here compared to other cities. All I'm trying to say is that I'm completely fine with the low media attention that we get. All I'm trying to say is that I like that we get low media attention. If you don't believe that we aren't recognized by the media here, then you're out of your mind. I don't want our fan base to be like the Yankees or any other team.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:18 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

New York >>> Boston

Now Boston's into their boys with a Cup championship... Meanwhile we have one Cup in 70 years and we're always around.

It seems like a national thing to talk about local football and baseball constantly, period. Of course those two are more popular than hockey and prefered to be spoken about more often. Doesn't make hockey not popular in New York. I think the entire area as a whole should be considered in this popularity thing (might be a weak reason) because radio talk shows calls not only from the City, but in the whole area (LI, NJ). It's the metro as a whole that gets involved. It's not limited to the City.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:18 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
I'm not trying to debate how popular hockey is here compared to other cities. All I'm trying to say is that I'm completely fine with the low media attention that we get. All I'm trying to say is that I like that we get low media attention. If you don't believe that we aren't recognized by the media here, then you're out of your mind. I don't want our fan base to be like the Yankees or any other team.
But to say it's not popular can be debated.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:20 PM
GarretJoseph*

More fans the better.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
But to say it's not popular can be debated.
Rangers TV ratings: 0.79 (59,000 households) as of February 10, 2011.
(http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2011-ar...ings-down.html)

Other teams in NY's ratings:

Knicks: 1.62 as of February 24, 2011.
(http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/C...6-years-022411)

Mets: 2.3 as of July 11, 2011
(http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...B-ratings.aspx)

I also couldn't find Yankee ratings and there's no point to show football ratings since they will blow the Rangers away.

Now I'll compare our ratings to other American NHL teams.

Penguins: 8.68 (101,000 households) as of April 18, 2011.
Blackhawks: I don't know the exact per share number but it's 96,000 households.
Bruins: 77,000 households.
Red Wings: 76,000 households.
Flyers: 71,000 households
And then comes us, again at 59,000.
(All from: http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...v-ratings.html)

It's also pretty sad that we aren't in the top 5 in viewership when we have the highest population out of all those cities.

If there were some way to find out how many times the word "Rangers" or any term that's hockey or Rangers related, we would be dead last in the NY market.

So I doubt you would win an argument if we were debating on how popular hockey is here.

Old
07-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

I don't mind Hockey isn't that popular in New York. More fans means theirs more people trying to go to games which in turn drives up ticket prices.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bienvenue a New York View Post
I don't mind Hockey isn't that popular in New York. More fans means theirs more people trying to go to games which in turn drives up ticket prices.
Well that's one way to look at it.

Old
08-01-2011, 01:35 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Hockey's not unpopular here. We have a knowledgeable fan base who sells out the Garden.

The game is so expensive to get into, though, and there's only one or two ice rinks accessible where i'm from (Brooklyn) that it makes it difficult for most people to actually play, while football and baseball are easy as pie.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:44 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I don't understand what sell out means to some of you...Is it that tickets are bought by companies who have businessmen and woman who don't have a single clue about the game ...sometimes not even attending? A lot of these ticks may be off the market but to companies etc.

The garden isn't as packed as some of you like to make it. It's not bad, but it's certainly not as packed or loud as some of you like to make it. Not like before -- talking regular season here.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:45 AM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

There's so many hockey fans in NY. This thread just gets more ridiculous every time it floats to the top of the page

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
1) Look at the numbers over the last 5 seasons, the Rangers have been beck and neck with the Knicks prior to this season
2) The Rangers are hurt by having to be on MSG2 and competing with the Devils and Isles...if you add Rangers+Devils+Isles and compare it to Knicks+Nets, the NHL wins
3) Compare NY v Boston the last 5 years, you will get NY coming out very well...the Bruins bandwagon started in 2010, before that they were getting MLS ratings...we are every bit the NHL town as them...hockey was the 3rd rail for Boston media till the last 2 seasons
1. Source?
2. No it wouldn't.
Knicks (115,000) + Nets (22,000) = 137,000
(http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...orts-networks/)
Rangers (59,000 I got from before) + Devils (35,000) + Islanders (24,000) = 118,000
(http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...anders-devils/)
The Knicks almost beat all NY area hockey teams without help from the Nets.
3. I got the point.

What I'm trying to say is that the Rangers and hockey itself isn't that popular here. Aside from the Devils, Nets, and the Islanders, we are on the bottom of every list compared to other NY-area sports teams.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:09 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well....and theres the fact that wolski is already signed....but....yeah.....facepalm
but this wolki guy i hear is amazing

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:10 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
1. Source?
2. No it wouldn't.
Knicks (115,000) + Nets (22,000) = 137,000
(http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...orts-networks/)
Rangers (59,000 I got from before) + Devils (35,000) + Islanders (24,000) = 118,000
(http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...anders-devils/)
The Knicks almost beat all NY area hockey teams without help from the Nets.
3. I got the point.

What I'm trying to say is that the Rangers and hockey itself isn't that popular here. Aside from the Devils, Nets, and the Islanders, we are on the bottom of every list compared to other NY-area sports teams.
That doesn't necessarily mean hockey is unpopular here. Nation-wide it's the least popular of the big 3 sports, but that doesn't mean it's UNpopular in NYC.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean hockey is unpopular here. Nation-wide it's the least popular of the big 3 sports, but that doesn't mean it's UNpopular in NYC.
You probably meant Big 4. I know what you're saying, but with how big the population is in NYC and the whole metro area, with TV ratings of only 59,000 viewers on average last year, I'll say it's unpopular.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:19 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
You probably meant Big 4. I know what you're saying, but with how big the population is in NYC and the whole metro area, with TV ratings of only 59,000 viewers on average last year, I'll say it's unpopular.
I'm not sure the ratings of other hockey teams but you have to compare those numbers, not basketball to hockey. As much as I hate to say it, New York is a basketball town (bandwagon basketball fans, but basketball nonetheless) and hockey will always be second fiddle to that. Factor that in with the Giants winning a Super Bowl in the last 5 years, the Jets being Super Bowl contenders, and the Yankees being as good as they are and you have tough competition.

Hockey's a niche sport, but i'd hardly say it's unpopular to the point it's a detriment to the league. The general NYC population is great to its teams when they are winning, but past that it's very much a bandwagon city and when the Rangers win the Cup I bet you'll see a drastic spike in that number.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm not sure the ratings of other hockey teams but you have to compare those numbers, not basketball to hockey. As much as I hate to say it, New York is a basketball town (bandwagon basketball fans, but basketball nonetheless) and hockey will always be second fiddle to that. Factor that in with the Giants winning a Super Bowl in the last 5 years, the Jets being Super Bowl contenders, and the Yankees being as good as they are and you have tough competition.

Hockey's a niche sport, but i'd hardly say it's unpopular to the point it's a detriment to the league. The general NYC population is great to its teams when they are winning, but past that it's very much a bandwagon city and when the Rangers win the Cup I bet you'll see a drastic spike in that number.
I showed the top 6 NHL teams in viewiership. We are the 6th highest team with 59,000 despite we probably have over five million more people than those other teams cities.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Which is wrong because NY has 3 NHL teams.
To get a real TRUE picture:

Add Rangers ratings+Devils ratings+Isles ratings and you get the total households watching NHL games

If you do that NY is the largest
If you do that and compare Rangers+Devil+Isle to Knick+Net post lockout, MORE PEOPLE WATCH HOCKEY IN NY.

I cannot believe how people equate NYR viewership to NY hockey viewership as a whole.
We have TWO other NHL teams, and those teams compete head to head with the Rangers at the same time taking away our viewers (and we have to share 3 teams over 2 channels).

So you cannot look soley at NYR ratings.
Problem with that is the high amount of overlap between who watches Rangers/Devils/Islander games. I watch every Ranger game, but also a lot of games played by the other teams. I know a lot of other people who do the same.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Just to add my own 2 cents, if the Rangers were the only hockey team in the area they would be huge.. All 3 teams definitely compete for ratings and fans (which equals money).. It's almost scary to think of what ticket prices would be like if the Devils and Islanders did not exist.. Maybe the arena would seat 27k - 30k?

The thing that stinks about having so much competition in this area (Yankees - Mets / Giants - Jets / Knicks - Nets / Devils - Rangers - Islanders) is that we all end up hating on each other almost more than we support our teams.. We might both be Jets fans, but when you start talking about how great the Yankees are I have to feel ill will because I'm a Mets fan who has been tormented by the Yankees..

I must say, there is something special when you are in a city like Philly or Pittsburgh and everyone is united behind the same teams.. There is very little hate because almost everyone in those cities support the same teams.. Then again, it could be argued that people in the NY Metro area love to hate on each other over sports (and many other things) lol

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote