HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2011, 09:22 AM
  #551
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Interesting that this Ryan Rishaug guy has since deleted that tweet. Does that mean that he wasn't supposed to know that information, or that it's not actually true?

I can't wait until we actually know something official so I can stop obsessing over these cryptic little details...and start obsessing over cryptic details relating to Suter and Rinne.


ETA: I Googled "Shea Weber one year deal" to find the deal with the original source on the rumor, and stumbled across an article entitled "Could Shea Weber's Possible Departure Mean Relocation?"...geez, it's starting already! SHUT UP!


Last edited by AEM6729: 08-01-2011 at 09:28 AM.
AEM6729 is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 09:27 AM
  #552
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Interesting that this Ryan Rishaug guy has since deleted that tweet. Does that mean that he wasn't supposed to know that information, or that it's not actually true?

I can't wait until we actually know something official so I can stop obsessing over these cryptic little details...and start obsessing over cryptic details relating to Suter and Rinne.
and weber....he'll be an RFA, remember? We're just setting ourselves up to do this again next year.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
  #553
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
and weber....he'll be an RFA, remember? We're just setting ourselves up to do this again next year.
Except we can't take him to arbitration again, unless he's the one that elects it. So no protection from offer sheets.

AEM6729 is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 09:31 AM
  #554
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Except we can't take him to arbitration again, unless he's the one that elects it. So no protection from offer sheets.
so we have to read into cryptic hints even more...
Next offseason is gonna be insane.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 09:49 AM
  #555
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
so we have to read into cryptic hints even more...
Next offseason is gonna be insane.
You're stressing me out already!

Bedtime. When I wake up, there better be a 4-year deal signed. Everybody's blood pressures need it (not to mention the morale of the general fan base). Come on Poile/Shea/Shea's agent! Get it DONE!

AEM6729 is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
  #556
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
You're stressing me out already!

Bedtime. When I wake up, there better be a 4-year deal signed. Everybody's blood pressures need it (not to mention the morale of the general fan base). Come on Poile/Shea/Shea's agent! Get it DONE!
Yeah, I'm getting ready to head to bed myself. Hopefully when I wake up late this afternoon, there will be a nice fat contract signed. But I doubt it.

kypredsfan is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
  #557
codeyh
HFB Partner
 
codeyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cellblock 303
Country: United States
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Rishaug was probably told by TSN to delete the tweet, since the disclosing of information breaks the CBA.

codeyh is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
  #558
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,071
vCash: 500
A great comp in Burns signs with the Sharks. 5 years at $5.75 with no signing bonus. 5 years at $7 to $7.5 for Weber?

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
  #559
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
While I'm not in on the talks, it really does appear that length is the hold up and not money.

When you see comments from Poile along the lines of "would we rather sign him to a long term deal instead of arbitration" then it shows right there.

It doesn't look like Poile wants anything to do with a short term deal and Weber doesn't want to lock into a long term deal when he's unsure about the team's ability to compete.

Jarnberg is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
  #560
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
A great comp in Burns signs with the Sharks. 5 years at $5.75 with no signing bonus. 5 years at $7 to $7.5 for Weber?
I'd be ecstatic.

Soundgarden is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 12:19 PM
  #561
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
While I'm not in on the talks, it really does appear that length is the hold up and not money.

When you see comments from Poile along the lines of "would we rather sign him to a long term deal instead of arbitration" then it shows right there.

It doesn't look like Poile wants anything to do with a short term deal and Weber doesn't want to lock into a long term deal when he's unsure about the team's ability to compete.
Can't say that I blame him

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
  #562
thomas magnum
Registered User
 
thomas magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Can't say that I blame him
Well let's be honest. He isn't talking about signing in Detroit or something. There isn't a legacy of year after year of having a solid team that contends. Also, he understands the financial constraints the team has and probably wants to make sure that the steps are taken for them to be a contender during the time period he signs to be with the team. It's all understandable and if any other person was here they would probably feel the same way if they were in his shoes. That being said I hope he signs a 4 or 5 year deal and the Preds have a nice window to really make a go of it.

thomas magnum is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
  #563
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,300
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Can't say that I blame him
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
Well let's be honest. He isn't talking about signing in Detroit or something. There isn't a legacy of year after year of having a solid team that contends. Also, he understands the financial constraints the team has and probably wants to make sure that the steps are taken for them to be a contender during the time period he signs to be with the team. It's all understandable and if any other person was here they would probably feel the same way if they were in his shoes. That being said I hope he signs a 4 or 5 year deal and the Preds have a nice window to really make a go of it.
I see those points but let me offer a counter point.

Shea's reluctance to sign more than a one year deal creates uncertainty that probably deters top end free agents from signing here for anything more than a ridiculous premium that we cant afford.

Signing a 1 year deal with essentially an ultimatum to upgrade the team by trade also makes it harder for Poile to do just what Weber is demanding both by tipping off other GMs that Poile is desperate to make a move, and by not letting Poile know how much money he has to work with going forward.


If Shea was truly committed to this team he would understand that him signing for more than one year would enable Poile to do more. As I have said repeatedly, a four year deal gives Poile enough stability and cost certainty to make plans and acquisitions while leaving Weber the option of departing at age 29(and realistically he could ask for and be given a trade at any time prior), which is still plenty of time to go play somewhere else.

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
  #564
thomas magnum
Registered User
 
thomas magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I see those points but let me offer a counter point.

Shea's reluctance to sign more than a one year deal creates uncertainty that probably deters top end free agents from signing here for anything more than a ridiculous premium that we cant afford.

Signing a 1 year deal with essentially an ultimatum to upgrade the team by trade also makes it harder for Poile to do just what Weber is demanding both by tipping off other GMs that Poile is desperate to make a move, and by not letting Poile know how much money he has to work with going forward.


If Shea was truly committed to this team he would understand that him signing for more than one year would enable Poile to do more. As I have said repeatedly, a four year deal gives Poile enough stability and cost certainty to make plans and acquisitions while leaving Weber the option of departing at age 29(and realistically he could ask for and be given a trade at any time prior), which is still plenty of time to go play somewhere else.

I agree with you but I think you are missing the point that I was trying to make about why he might not have signed yet. You are making the point of "what him signing would allow the team to do". I totally agree with you on that but it's not the same really. He hasn't signed or had an arbitrator give him a ruling that he will honor yet either. So until then using your argument it kinda seems like its a chicken or the egg kinda thing?

Ps. I feel like I'm not making any sense. I'm totally out of it today.

thomas magnum is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:06 PM
  #565
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne
 
CalleJAMkrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yesterday
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
tic-toc

tic-toc

tic-toc

man this next day is going to be brutally slow.

CalleJAMkrok is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
  #566
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
tic-toc

tic-toc

tic-toc

man this next day is going to be brutally slow.
Every 5-10 mins, I find myself checking on Cooper's twitter feed.

sigh.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
  #567
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,240
vCash: 500
I'm just chilling by the laptop till work then I got my cell phone with the bookmarks locked on TSN and capgeek

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
  #568
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne
 
CalleJAMkrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yesterday
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Every 5-10 mins, I find myself checking on Cooper's twitter feed.

sigh.
same,

im gunna be on HF boards at least until class, then when i get there ill probably still be on

CalleJAMkrok is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
  #569
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,121
vCash: 500
This place is all roses and dancing compared to the official boards. Jeez... some of those guys are stuck in 2009...

TMI is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
  #570
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm just chilling by the laptop till work then I got my cell phone with the bookmarks locked on TSN and capgeek
At work now, got the homepage as capgeek now whenever I open the internet.

Everlong is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:42 PM
  #571
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne
 
CalleJAMkrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yesterday
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This place is all roses and dancing compared to the official boards. Jeez... some of those guys are stuck in 2009...
NP.com? im glad ive never ventured onto those forums, i hear nothing but terrible things about that place.

CalleJAMkrok is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
  #572
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 8,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
NP.com? im glad ive never ventured onto those forums, i hear nothing but terrible things about that place.
haha me to, i checked it out once. Noob heaven

I Will Son is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:46 PM
  #573
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
haha me to, i checked it out once. Noob heaven
I used to post on there. Then I found HF and that stopped abruptly. It's just so bipolar.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
  #574
Firestorm
Registered User
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada Eh?
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I used to post on there. Then I found HF and that stopped abruptly. It's just so bipolar.
And HF isn't?

Firestorm is offline  
Old
08-01-2011, 01:54 PM
  #575
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
And HF isn't?
It's not even a comparison. HF is bad about it, but NP is awful.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.