HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2011, 09:22 AM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Interesting that this Ryan Rishaug guy has since deleted that tweet. Does that mean that he wasn't supposed to know that information, or that it's not actually true?

I can't wait until we actually know something official so I can stop obsessing over these cryptic little details...and start obsessing over cryptic details relating to Suter and Rinne.

ETA: I Googled "Shea Weber one year deal" to find the deal with the original source on the rumor, and stumbled across an article entitled "Could Shea Weber's Possible Departure Mean Relocation?"...geez, it's starting already! SHUT UP!

Last edited by AEM6729: 08-01-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old
08-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Interesting that this Ryan Rishaug guy has since deleted that tweet. Does that mean that he wasn't supposed to know that information, or that it's not actually true?

I can't wait until we actually know something official so I can stop obsessing over these cryptic little details...and start obsessing over cryptic details relating to Suter and Rinne.
and weber....he'll be an RFA, remember? We're just setting ourselves up to do this again next year.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
and weber....he'll be an RFA, remember? We're just setting ourselves up to do this again next year.
Except we can't take him to arbitration again, unless he's the one that elects it. So no protection from offer sheets.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Except we can't take him to arbitration again, unless he's the one that elects it. So no protection from offer sheets.
so we have to read into cryptic hints even more...
Next offseason is gonna be insane.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:49 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
so we have to read into cryptic hints even more...
Next offseason is gonna be insane.
You're stressing me out already!

Bedtime. When I wake up, there better be a 4-year deal signed. Everybody's blood pressures need it (not to mention the morale of the general fan base). Come on Poile/Shea/Shea's agent! Get it DONE!

Old
08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
You're stressing me out already!

Bedtime. When I wake up, there better be a 4-year deal signed. Everybody's blood pressures need it (not to mention the morale of the general fan base). Come on Poile/Shea/Shea's agent! Get it DONE!
Yeah, I'm getting ready to head to bed myself. Hopefully when I wake up late this afternoon, there will be a nice fat contract signed. But I doubt it.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Rishaug was probably told by TSN to delete the tweet, since the disclosing of information breaks the CBA.

Old
08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

A great comp in Burns signs with the Sharks. 5 years at $5.75 with no signing bonus. 5 years at $7 to $7.5 for Weber?

Old
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Jarnberg

While I'm not in on the talks, it really does appear that length is the hold up and not money.

When you see comments from Poile along the lines of "would we rather sign him to a long term deal instead of arbitration" then it shows right there.

It doesn't look like Poile wants anything to do with a short term deal and Weber doesn't want to lock into a long term deal when he's unsure about the team's ability to compete.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
A great comp in Burns signs with the Sharks. 5 years at $5.75 with no signing bonus. 5 years at $7 to $7.5 for Weber?
I'd be ecstatic.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
While I'm not in on the talks, it really does appear that length is the hold up and not money.

When you see comments from Poile along the lines of "would we rather sign him to a long term deal instead of arbitration" then it shows right there.

It doesn't look like Poile wants anything to do with a short term deal and Weber doesn't want to lock into a long term deal when he's unsure about the team's ability to compete.
Can't say that I blame him

Old
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Well let's be honest. He isn't talking about signing in Detroit or something. There isn't a legacy of year after year of having a solid team that contends. Also, he understands the financial constraints the team has and probably wants to make sure that the steps are taken for them to be a contender during the time period he signs to be with the team. It's all understandable and if any other person was here they would probably feel the same way if they were in his shoes. That being said I hope he signs a 4 or 5 year deal and the Preds have a nice window to really make a go of it.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
Well let's be honest. He isn't talking about signing in Detroit or something. There isn't a legacy of year after year of having a solid team that contends. Also, he understands the financial constraints the team has and probably wants to make sure that the steps are taken for them to be a contender during the time period he signs to be with the team. It's all understandable and if any other person was here they would probably feel the same way if they were in his shoes. That being said I hope he signs a 4 or 5 year deal and the Preds have a nice window to really make a go of it.
I see those points but let me offer a counter point.

Shea's reluctance to sign more than a one year deal creates uncertainty that probably deters top end free agents from signing here for anything more than a ridiculous premium that we cant afford.

Signing a 1 year deal with essentially an ultimatum to upgrade the team by trade also makes it harder for Poile to do just what Weber is demanding both by tipping off other GMs that Poile is desperate to make a move, and by not letting Poile know how much money he has to work with going forward.

If Shea was truly committed to this team he would understand that him signing for more than one year would enable Poile to do more. As I have said repeatedly, a four year deal gives Poile enough stability and cost certainty to make plans and acquisitions while leaving Weber the option of departing at age 29(and realistically he could ask for and be given a trade at any time prior), which is still plenty of time to go play somewhere else.

Old
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I see those points but let me offer a counter point.

Shea's reluctance to sign more than a one year deal creates uncertainty that probably deters top end free agents from signing here for anything more than a ridiculous premium that we cant afford.

Signing a 1 year deal with essentially an ultimatum to upgrade the team by trade also makes it harder for Poile to do just what Weber is demanding both by tipping off other GMs that Poile is desperate to make a move, and by not letting Poile know how much money he has to work with going forward.

If Shea was truly committed to this team he would understand that him signing for more than one year would enable Poile to do more. As I have said repeatedly, a four year deal gives Poile enough stability and cost certainty to make plans and acquisitions while leaving Weber the option of departing at age 29(and realistically he could ask for and be given a trade at any time prior), which is still plenty of time to go play somewhere else.

I agree with you but I think you are missing the point that I was trying to make about why he might not have signed yet. You are making the point of "what him signing would allow the team to do". I totally agree with you on that but it's not the same really. He hasn't signed or had an arbitrator give him a ruling that he will honor yet either. So until then using your argument it kinda seems like its a chicken or the egg kinda thing?

Ps. I feel like I'm not making any sense. I'm totally out of it today.

Old
08-01-2011, 01:06 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

tic-toc

tic-toc

tic-toc

man this next day is going to be brutally slow.

Old
08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
tic-toc

tic-toc

tic-toc

man this next day is going to be brutally slow.
Every 5-10 mins, I find myself checking on Cooper's twitter feed.

sigh.

Old
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm just chilling by the laptop till work then I got my cell phone with the bookmarks locked on TSN and capgeek

Old
08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Every 5-10 mins, I find myself checking on Cooper's twitter feed.

sigh.
same,

im gunna be on HF boards at least until class, then when i get there ill probably still be on

Old
08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

This place is all roses and dancing compared to the official boards. Jeez... some of those guys are stuck in 2009...

Old
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm just chilling by the laptop till work then I got my cell phone with the bookmarks locked on TSN and capgeek
At work now, got the homepage as capgeek now whenever I open the internet.

Old
08-01-2011, 01:42 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This place is all roses and dancing compared to the official boards. Jeez... some of those guys are stuck in 2009...
NP.com? im glad ive never ventured onto those forums, i hear nothing but terrible things about that place.

Old
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
NP.com? im glad ive never ventured onto those forums, i hear nothing but terrible things about that place.
haha me to, i checked it out once. Noob heaven

Old
08-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
haha me to, i checked it out once. Noob heaven
I used to post on there. Then I found HF and that stopped abruptly. It's just so bipolar.

Old
08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
I used to post on there. Then I found HF and that stopped abruptly. It's just so bipolar.
And HF isn't?

Old
08-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
And HF isn't?
It's not even a comparison. HF is bad about it, but NP is awful.

Closed Thread