HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Theo Fleury

Old
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
Was this thread made for me? Except I'm probably not the best measure...

I loved Theo when he was in Calgary thanks to a hockey card and NHL 95. When he came to NYR I was heading off to college and it was like a dream come true...except it wasn't, because the team was not great, and Theo eventually fell apart.

That season he went into rehab was making up for the shaky start with the Rangers - Theo was right behind Joe Sakic for the league scoring lead, and kicked ass in the all-star game. It was awesome, but then he abruptly went into rehab and for all practical purposes ended his career.

I had no clue what was going on behind the scenes, although there definitely were times where Theo was kind of over-the-top: like when he gave the finger to the Islanders fans. I would imagine most people were like me, and not sure of the full extent of his off-ice issues. RangerBoy is very knowledgeable, I doubt most fans knew all of the stuff he just mentioned at the time.

Ultimately I think Theo was liked, there were so many under-performers on his Ranger teams that he wasn't the sole focus of the discontent. The whole era was just a lost opportunity, and minor tragedy, and he represents that, just like Bure and his knee and Lindros and the concussions.
All of the Fleury stuff was reported in the media. Larry Brooks must have some great Fleury stories. Fleury attacked Sharkie and broke his rib. He loved playing in San Jose as a Flame. The fans hated him and he loved it. The Rangers were first in the conference until Christmas 2001. Fleury. Lindros. York. FLY line. (What ever happened to that guy?) The Rangers season unraveled in the SJ game. Lindros was the Lindros of 1997. He suffered the 7th documented concussion of his career and Fleury was lucky he was not arrested. Sather tried to trade Fleury in 2000 with Richter,Brendl and Lundmark to PHX for Keith Tkachuk and Nikolai Khabibulin. Sather had agreed to the deal with Gretzky who was part of the new Phoenix ownership group. Deal fizzled when it took longer for the sale to close. Gretzky was friends with Fleury and Richter. Rangers were going to kick in money. CBA allowed cash to be part of trades. In fact,the Rangers tried to persuade Gretzky to play a few more years and they were going to sign Fleury or Recchi to play on his wing. Crazy era of Rangers hockey. 1997-2004.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:27 AM
EEDAWGZ

Fleury had some demons, but he was the F in man. I ll never forget the breakaway he had against Brodeur ,right after he scored he just stood over him staring him down Avery style. I believe the conversation was
Marty: You whiffed on that shot
Fleury:yea , and I scored
priceless

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Ranger fans loved Theo Fleury much in the same way they love Sean Avery, because they both provided a source of entertainment that stretched beyond the game. Difference is, Fleury was an infinitely better hockey player.

Nonetheless, as others have looked past the sugarcoating and have already noted, he was also one of the most self-destructive individuals to wear a Ranger uniform. I believe he had 30+ goals in 60 games one year, and left the team to go to rehab.

In a lot of ways, he was the poster boy for the deeply flawed talent thats the Rangers assembled in those years.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
All of the Fleury stuff was reported in the media. Larry Brooks must have some great Fleury stories. Fleury attacked Sharkie and broke his rib. He loved playing in San Jose as a Flame. The fans hated him and he loved it. The Rangers were first in the conference until Christmas 2001. Fleury. Lindros. York. FLY line. (What ever happened to that guy?) The Rangers season unraveled in the SJ game. Lindros was the Lindros of 1997. He suffered the 7th documented concussion of his career and Fleury was lucky he was not arrested. Sather tried to trade Fleury in 2000 with Richter,Brendl and Lundmark to PHX for Keith Tkachuk and Nikolai Khabibulin. Sather had agreed to the deal with Gretzky who was part of the new Phoenix ownership group. Deal fizzled when it took longer for the sale to close. Gretzky was friends with Fleury and Richter. Rangers were going to kick in money. CBA allowed cash to be part of trades. In fact,the Rangers tried to persuade Gretzky to play a few more years and they were going to sign Fleury or Recchi to play on his wing. Crazy era of Rangers hockey. 1997-2004.
Yea I just don't remember ever knowing all the details at the time - I remember something about the Sharks mascot, but I didn't realize that he broke a rib and the Rangers paid them off.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:22 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19

this says it all

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

that picture is priceless

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
that picture is priceless
Yea, funny stuff.

Unfortunately, when I see that picture, it makes me think about some of the worst Ranger teams I've seen in my lifetime...and also how Brodeur and the Devils were winning cups around that time.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yea, funny stuff.

Unfortunately, when I see that picture, it makes me think about some of the worst Ranger teams I've seen in my lifetime...and also how Brodeur and the Devils were winning cups around that time.
I agree, they were horrible around that time. Sad thing is, there was so much hype because we were getting marquee free agents and I got excited Every Year to see the bums play just to get a paycheck.

Fluery was an exception, he gave it his all every shift and even with all the problems, he was arguably the best guy on the team for the three years he was here.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Rangers35

i enjoyed watching him in NY

Rangers35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:34 PM
dynamoovechkin

Theo was a great scorer for us and grand entertainer before he melted down in dramatic style that last year. He did something I had never seen before: At center ice he was skating with what I think was a NJD player behind him when a puck came flying above his head. He reached up, grabbed it, and slammed it into the face of the player behind him- innovative and kooky and totally uncalled for. Nasty, dirty.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:46 PM
trilobyte

Living in Calgary, I got to see Theoren at his very best.

i always liked the guy, but I have to admit my admiration was tested and lessened seeing him do the stuff he did. NYR was always #1 with me since a kid, but I started to get this feeling about the rot that was sinking in. I had seen tight, talented Rangers teams in the past. In hindsight, it is much clearer, but at the time it was just this weird feeling that things were not right. Looking around the league you saw the fruit of good drafing by other teams, and you said to yourself "why are the Rangers so expensive and yet so useless?" Fleury was one guy who did not underperform, so I had high hopes, but it was still a bad period in Rangers history.

So, I liked Theoren a lot, but I got sick of his antics. Obviously, we just saw the symptoms of his turmoil. Sheldon Kennedy was a real brave guy who spoke up and opened the door for Theoren to explain the troubles that he had. They both experienced the same abuse.

Last edited by trilobyte: 08-03-2011 at 10:52 PM.
trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Have to admit, I had Fleury pegged all wrong. I never liked him, but as a kid I did not get to see much of the Flames. I thought he was overrated. Boy, was I way off. He became one of my favorite players when he was a Ranger. What a great player. So fun to watch. Always making things happen. Yeah, he's definitely a troubled guy, but I like him all the same. At least with him, you know why he's frustrating. Other guys keep you guessing.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Chimp

I say it in every Fleury thread, he's definitely one of my favourite players of all time. I've always had a soft heart for small players, being a small person myself, so I know how tough it can be in sports.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:42 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He might have been a great character, but he lacked character. He quit on this team. He broke sticks. He took himself out of games. He went after a mascot. That seems to get glossed over.

His demons didn't stand a chance against NYC.
His problems were much greater than hockey. To point to the on ice things you pointed to as an indicator of character is weak and clueless when sexual abuse, drugs, and alcohol are involved.They dont et glossed ove it's just that most people can see there was a much bigger issue there one much worse than omg he broke stic ks and missed practice. Besides people are so overentitled. Sports are entertainment people act like as fans they're owed much more. Guys like Avery and Fleury had faults from a professional standpoint but they provided more than enough entertainment and good memories which is why fans like them even though they didn't bring home the cup.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 08-04-2011 at 09:49 AM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
BOO KA BOOM

Loved his game and heart, on the other stuff I can't comment on, i've never been in his shoes.

BOO KA BOOM is offline   Reply With Quote