HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NJD] Trent Hunter and Colin White for buyout [Both Cleared and Bought Out]

Old
08-01-2011, 01:57 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No, you just need 2 or more arbitration cases. It doesn't matter how they are settled. Once the last case is settled, you get the 2nd buyout window.
cheers. was in the wording of the reports. "With Parise resigning to 1 year deal 2nd buyout window open" etc.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Devilsfan118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Goose View Post
Yes, but the team that passes up on him may now have competition to sign him. I thikn for at least one team, the guarantee at getting him for 3mill will outweight the chance to make an offer to him and lose out at say 2.25M.

Remember, White had a NTC, and may not have wanted to waive it to be a rental for just one more year.
True true, fair points

Devilsfan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Possibly making room for Scott Hannan?

When does Lou Lamoriello start getting top billing as a terrible GM? The guy hires a coach that has never made the playoffs. He has 2 buyouts already on the books and now he's looking to add two more...wtf.

I didn't think Colin White was that bad. Isles should really consider picking him up or signing him after the buyout. Hunter on the other hand is trash.
That might be the smartest thing anyone has said in this thread.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I wouldn't mind White for pretty cheap on the Flyers D.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
That might be the smartest thing anyone has said in this thread.
The rest of what he said is pretty good too. People who think Lou is still a top notch GM are living in 2003, I guess they'll have to hit the decade mark before they actually wake up and accept the sad state of current affairs.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:15 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Horrible decision, even for all his faults, I still liked White.

Good to see Lou is treating an 11 year Devil veteran with such respect, makes me sick.
I don't understand, he was 3rd in total ES minutes played among Devil blueliners last year. To me, that's a pretty important player. Have the young guys like Corrente and the improved health of Salvador really made him that expendable?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I don't understand, he was 3rd in total ES minutes played among Devil blueliners last year. To me, that's a pretty important player. Have the young guys like Correnty and the improved health of Salvador really made him that expendable?
Probably not Corrente, possibly Taormina/Fayne. I don't think any fans really know Salvador's current health status. There is the possibility that Salvador still can't pass a physical and thus wasn't eligible to be bought out without his consent (a la Drury).

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:21 PM
caley

Oh man, if Hunter ends up back with the Isles, that would make this a fascinating week of Islander-Devils player movements.

per Katie Strang's twitter
Quote:
Asked GM Garth Snow if he'd consider re-signing Trent Hunter after NJD buyout? "We would look at all options to make out team better." Hmm
22 minutes

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:21 PM
KovalSNIPE

Weber to NJ (e8898667)

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Oh man, if Hunter ends up back with the Isles, that would make this a fascinating week of Islander-Devils player movements.

I highly doubt the Islanders are bringing back Hunter. People act like Garth is a complete moron, but he's proved to be a serviceable GM. Come on, Guys.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

That is Garth's auto response. He said the same thing about Yashin and Yashin is still unsigned.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
deckercky

White could be a smart waiver pickup for a lot of teams. Columbus is another one that strikes me as a decent option. He might not be worth $3M (though if he was the best defenceman on the team last year, he probably is), but you can guarantee him on your team for a slight premium rather than taking a chance at signing him for 750k less. It's not like he has a long contract weighing him down.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Marty30

There has got to be some kind of trade in the works, I can't imagine they waive White for no reason.

I'm fine with Taormina, Urbom or Fayne jumping in there, but for Colin White? Something's going on

Marty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

This offseason ended up being a lot more eventful than I thought it would.

I don't even know what's going on anymore.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:56 PM
GDDevils

I'll be one of the few Devils fans to call this a good move. White is a fraction of the player he was before the eye injury. If Salvador is actually healthy this ends up a wash in my book. Both are very similar players with Sal having an edge in puck moving skills. Whites puck skills consist of throwing it off the glass and out almost exclusively.

Would have liked to get something for him though. Like others had guessed I think there is a move to follow this though.

GDDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:08 PM
nbducksfan19

Please ducks get white.....how does no one trade for him?

nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
If I am correct, that leaves the Devils defensive depth as:

Volchenkov
Tallinder
Greene
Salvador (hasn't played hockey in more than a year due to injury)

Larsson
Corrente
Fraser
Fayne
Taormino

(not necessarily in order)

Really surprising, because I don't see any of this alleged defensive depth that makes White suddenly expendable -- especially not at the cost of a cap hit penalty for two years.
That defense core looks even worse than it was before White got waived and now it's probably bottom 5 in the league.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
HBK27

Not sure if the Devils are necessarily a better team without White at the moment, but the Devils have a lot of young D-Men knocking on the door and I don't think it’s not much of a reach to think a guy that gets a chance in White’s spot will eclipse his play by the time the playoffs roll around. Tallinder, Greene, & Volchekov are locks…Larsson is a good bet to make the roster, leaving only really two spots open. Fayne & Taormina both played well for the Devils last year and would deserve spots if they can repeat their play. Urbom made the team out of training camp last year before struggling, but is expected to compete for a spot. Corrente and Fraser are also signed and have NHL experience and will be competing for spots & who knows if anyone else like a Gelinas may impress in camp or if Salvador returns. I’m fine with the move to drop White and think it’ll benefit the Devils in the long-term.

Who knows if Lou has something else up his sleeve though or if he’s been tasked with shedding salary.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Devilswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbducksfan19 View Post
Because he has a NTC and he chooses teams ge wants to go to. Maybe there were teams that wanted to get him, but he refused to waive the NTC when he knew he was going to get bought out. He can therefore choose where he wants to go (depending on interest of course).

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Anyone saying Colin White is a fraction of the player he used to be has to be kidding themself. He's not everything he used to be, but he's a solid defensive defenseman capable of playing a shutdown role. Like other posters said, he was the best Devil defenseman last year. I'm not saying he'll be claimed because I think it's very unlikely, but at $3M for a year, White's worth almost every penny IMO. Shocked the Devils are doing this to him after how long he's been there. He's been there his whole career. Complete shocker to me. However, I do understand why it's being done. The Devils do have an abundance of defensemen. For one, they probably expect Volchenkov to have a healthier year, as he and White play a very similar game; Volchenkov will be very important to the Devils now. Then factor in they already have Tallinder, Fayne, Corrente, Greene, Taormina, possibly Salvador, they re-signed Fraser, and added Larsson. That's 9 defensemen that could make the roster.

I think Columbus should be all over this if White clears. He's exactly the type of defenseman they need to add. Other teams will be interested though and he'll get signed fast. Edmonton, NYI, Anaheim, and Calgary could also be fits.

As for Hunter, he should clear and perhaps he'll get a PTO. He's going to have to prove his health is better if he wants a contract from someone.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
If teams had 3 million to spare, they'd probably just go and sign Scott Hannan? Any team interested in trading for White would probably want to send another contract back to the Devils, but it's looking like we don't have the budget space.

Just hoping ownership isn't going to start to emulate the McCourts.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

Wow, did not see White getting waived, at all.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Yeah, he would be very cheap but we probably would have to throw Foster out somehow.

Visnovsky-Lydman
Sbisa-Beauchemin
Fowler-White
Brookbank

Looks good to me.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I could definitely see the Jackets being

interested in Colin White. Scott Howson has appeared to be done for the off season, but lets face it we don't have a shut down dman of this calibre, and pairing him with a young Marc Methot would help the whole defense and take some pressure of our young goalies.

We shall see eh?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
color me confused ..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote