HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov claims Avery uses racist remarks to agitate? (Frolov: No I didn't)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Frolov claims Avery uses racist remarks to agitate? (Frolov: No I didn't)

Quote:
Q: Why does everyone hate him?
AF:
Quote:
It’s not hate, it’s… He has a specific role, he is a pretty unique man and he likes to do, let’s say, extravagant things. Sometimes they’d be bordering on the forbidden. He isn’t a fool. Lately he has become calmer, smarter. Before he’d get swept away with emotions and do something stupid. To mention each and every one of his stunts… Something always happens around him, it’s a part of his job. He needs to be talked about. He loves it, he feels at home in the spotlight. Sometimes he called opponents “black monkeys.” He did a lot of things, I can’t remember all of them.
Quote:
Laraque, who is black, alleged Avery made a racial remark during Edmonton’s 3-1 loss. Laraque said that when he went to challenge Avery to a fight after the Kings agitator got tangled up with Oilers finesse player Ales Hemsky, Avery declined to fight and called Laraque “a monkey.”
This is absolutely retarded, we don't need this locker room cancer anymore.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ate-opponents/

Old
08-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
“I didn’t have a chance to read the article,” Frolov told the Daily News by phone. “Something in the Russian newspaper about Aves. They asked me about Aves and I said he’s a friend of mine and a really nice guy. What I said was that he, in the past, used to have problems where he could say something, but he’s a really nice person and good friend of mine.”

The notion of Avery getting into trouble with his mouth was hardly groundbreaking, but the interview with Frolov on sport.ru quoted the former Rangers left wing as saying that Avery “called opponents ‘black monkeys.’” Frolov vehemently denied having said that.

“I didn’t say anything about Aves calling someone bad language – I was saying he’s really emotional and that in the past he could say the wrong thing,” Frolov told The News. “It wasn’t particularly about black people. He doesn’t have anything against black people. I mean, he’s a nice person, and he wouldn’t say something bad about black people or Asian people or any kind of people. It’s some kind of misunderstanding.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ery-used-rac-0

Old
08-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

vCash: 500
Alex Frolov says Russian interview misquoted him, denies saying Sean Avery used racial slurs... http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ery-used-rac-0

Old
08-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Kershaw

He still claimed Avery has a history of racial remarks, there is no other way to work around being 'misinformed' or 'misquoted'

Last edited by Kershaw: 08-01-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: misquoted
Old
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Would it surprise you if he did? I mean his job on the ice is to get every one mad at him so they get off their game. Not that I'm condoning racial slurs, just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he did. There is a reason most players in the league hate his guts.....

Old
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Shocking

grow a pair... its a role he plays

08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
Would it surprise you if he did? I mean his job on the ice is to get every one mad at him so they get off their game. Not that I'm condoning racial slurs, just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he did. There is a reason most players in the league hate his guts.....
His 'role' is what got him kicked off the kings and stars. Mocking Dustin Brown's lisp and having poor relationship with Modano with the Stars.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Shocking

Yeah it's totally cool to say **** like that because it's the role he plays.

Though i'm sure a large portion of the player base say stupid **** on the ice.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
OverTheCap

The Laraque stuff is old news, the Russian paper was probably trying to dig up old dirt and then attribute it to Frolov. Shameful and irresponsible journalism.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He still claimed Avery has a history of racial remarks, there is no other way to work around being 'misinformed' or 'misquoted'
Frolov didn't say that at all...

Two things...one, this was apparently back in the day with the Kings and not with the Rangers

And two, this doesn't excuse Avery in any way if he did say these things, but it would hardly be the worst thing that a hockey player has said to another hockey player...

Old
08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

So you're going to tell me there is racism in hockey? No way, didn't see that one coming. Everyone is a little racist, no matter how you spin it. Avery isn't any different than you and I.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I can see that it's a role he plays, but then there's the basic principal not to go low like that.

Indifferent about it.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:35 PM
gotmonte

Sad. I say get rid of him. But replace him with another agitator. Can't wait to see rupp

Old
08-01-2011, 02:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I can see that it's a role he plays, but then there's the basic principal not to go low like that.

Indifferent about it.
I think it's stupid but i'm indifferent about it because you know for certain Avery isn't the only player who'll say stuff about race or other stuff like that.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Barnaby

Does anyone really care? Apparently he gets along very well with his current teammates. If he was such a cancer and problem then they wouldn't have scooped him off waivers after already having him. If he became a problem, then they'd find a way to move him.

I don't remember people around here getting bent out of shape when he was running around like a lunatic AND scoring points. Don't suddenly get sentimental now that he's a borderline 3rd or 4th line player.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
The Laraque stuff is old news, the Russian paper was probably trying to dig up old dirt and then attribute it to Frolov. Shameful and irresponsible journalism.
This is pretty much it.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
He also called him a good friend... and denied that statement.

Who cares anyway? I'm sure you cheer everytime his gloves go down or he agitates another teams top player.

Does anyone really think Laraque goes home and cries himself to sleep every night. The guy is a monster, and his job is to throw hits and punch people. It's def not right if it happened - but let's not make this crime of the century.

Also, wasn't it Sean Avery who made a statement and stood up for gay rights? We obviously aren't talking about a complete hate monger...

Old
08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Here we go again. I'm sure he's not the only player who has used a racial slur during a game. It's only recognized when it's Sean Avery. Matt Cooke is by far the dirtiest player in the league and when he has hits like the one on McDonagh and Savard, all you hear is "Wow dirty play."

When Avery snows a goalie you hear "Kick that scum out of the league, he deserves to die."

The way people speak of Avery, you would think he is Satan. It's getting rediculous already. He is an agitator, it's his job, and if the haters can't handle it, they should go watch tennis or baseball. This is hockey, not croquet.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I Am Classless

Wasn't there a thing during the season with Fro "complaining about ice time" and the Russian press probably twisting his words?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=850451

Old
StrongIslanders90

I hate Avery and would not mind him back in the west but Frolov should let the other players come out an say it if they have a problem....Im not defending Avery but what goes on the ice stays on the ice and in the locker room unlees the player that he made the remark to decides to come out and say what he did.....

Old
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Who cares? I'm sure you cheer everytime his gloves go down or he agitates another teams top player.

Does anyone really think Laraque goes home and cries himself to sleep every night. The guy is a monster, and his job is to throw hits and punch people. It's def not right if it happened - but let's not make this crime of the century.

Also, wasn't it Sean Avery who made a statement and stood up for gay rights? We obviously aren't talking about a complete hate monger...
This makes the situation even worse. He publicly addresses his support for gay rights, than on the other hand, he daily mocks racial remarks against other players. There is a big line for 'agitating' and he just crossed that line, if this is true.

Old
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Shocking

This. It's hockey. I don't care how bad someone's words are on the ice. It's hockey, not figure skating.

Could you imagine the stuff they used to say in the 60s/70s/80s? PC is ruining everything.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

A Russian article, translated by god knows who, Frolov denies saying it...

How is this news?

Old
Levitate

Quote:
he daily mocks racial remarks against other players. T
What are you even talking about. Have you actually read any of these articles?

Old
turcotte8

Quote:
This makes the situation even worse. He publicly addresses his support for gay rights, than on the other hand, he daily mocks racial remarks against other players. There is a big line for 'agitating' and he just crossed that line, if this is true.
The racial thing happened years ago when he was with LA before he was ever a Ranger. Where do you get "daily" from?

Closed Thread