HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles' Football (NFL discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
I don't get the Miami Heat comparisons either. It's not even close to the same thing. I guess they need whatever reason they can find to continue talking about Lebron.
I think Babin said/tweeted that after the Asomugha signing.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:22 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Having 3 good corners is really the way to go with the way the majority of the league throws the ball. That said I'm not sure the organization will want to have this much money tied up in one position for long. I would have no problem with keeping the 3 if they decide to do that, but they do still have other holes to fill.

I'm honestly still not sold on the defense, outside of the CB position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
The LB situation could be really brutal, but I am happy with Cole and Babin at DE, Jenkins/Patterson/Dixon at DT, and Nate Allen at safety. Hopefully, Jarrett will live up to expectations and the sick secondary and solid line will make up for the lackluster middle of the D.
3 Pro-Bowl Corners means we only have to use 2 crappy linebackers instead of 3 ...

Old
08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
FlyersFan61290

Very short article on the Eagles current CB situation. I have quoted the entire article below because it is so short but I also provided the links.

Quote:
3:15 p.m. - Dealing Asante?
Monday on PFT Live, Eagles president Joe Banner discussed his cornerback situation and admitted receiving calls about Asante Samuel.

"We’re looking at this kind of like the way we were when we had Vick, McNabb and Kolb. It may be the best thing for us to do to keep all three. Certainly, that’s a phenomenal situation. Our cap situation and cash situation is as such that we can do that," Banner said.

"At the same time, as that happened with those guys, we did start getting inquiries from people that have a shortage at corner or are looking to upgrade at corner and are inquiring whether we’d be willing. What we’ve said to people is we’ll listen to offers, if they make sense for us and make us better, we’ll consider doing something. On the other hand, obviously, we can sit as we are, and that’s how we’ll go."
Link: http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/blog_eagles

or

http://www.csnphilly.com/08/01/11/Mo...D=3041&qv=1#bp

Old
08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
The LB situation could be really brutal, but I am happy with Cole and Babin at DE, Jenkins/Patterson/Dixon at DT, and Nate Allen at safety. Hopefully, Jarrett will live up to expectations and the sick secondary and solid line will make up for the lackluster middle of the D.
Their D should be really improved over last year, and on paper it looks good. On paper they should be able to get after the QB with the best of them which is huge. The team is built to rush the passer.

However, I have my reservations about Babin and Jenkins. They're 30 years old and coming off career years, and don't have much of a track record prior to last year. Jenkins has had 1 real strong year prior to this past season, and Babin none. Also, Allen is still very young and inexperienced.

The game plan against them seems easy to see. Ball control. Attack the middle of the field with the rush game and short passes, and take advantage of LB matchups. Run counters and screens to take advantage of the up the field rush they're going to employ, and try to hit big plays in the center of the field rather than the flanks. Mostly I'd play a ball control, dink and dunk game to march down the field and keep Vick off of it.

The potential is certainly there to be a good D, but I'm in wait and see mode as of now. I think they have serious holes that will wind up being exploited in the playoffs.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:52 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Their D should be really improved over last year, and on paper it looks good. On paper they should be able to get after the QB with the best of them which is huge. The team is built to rush the passer.

However, I have my reservations about Babin and Jenkins. They're 30 years old and coming off career years, and don't have much of a track record prior to last year. Jenkins has had 1 real strong year prior to this past season, and Babin none. Also, Allen is still very young and inexperienced.

The game plan against them seems easy to see. Ball control. Attack the middle of the field with the rush game and short passes, and take advantage of LB matchups. Run counters and screens to take advantage of the up the field rush they're going to employ, and try to hit big plays in the center of the field rather than the flanks. Mostly I'd play a ball control, dink and dunk game to march down the field and keep Vick off of it.

The potential is certainly there to be a good D, but I'm in wait and see mode as of now. I think they have serious holes that will wind up being exploited in the playoffs.
Allen is real young and inexperienced but it didn't show that often IMO. Hopefully he can stay healthy and build off the little experience he did get last year. I'm very optimistic that if healthy Allen will do well this year but I completely understand where you are coming from.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Allen is real young and inexperienced but it didn't show that often IMO. Hopefully he can stay healthy and build off the little experience he did get last year. I'm very optimistic that if healthy Allen will do well this year but I completely understand where you are coming from.
He'll be a key player in their success. He's going to be a good player, but is he there yet? Hopefully he's close.

The potential to be a real strong defense is there because this team has the potential to lead the league in sacks and be incredibly disruptive. I just think they have more question marks than LB going into the season. I'm not saying they're gonna suck, I'm just not sure what they are at this point.

Old
08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...rick_bunk.html

Quote:
CLEVELAND -- The Eagles announced Saturday that they traded defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley to the Browns for a fifth-round pick in 2012, but Bunkley has not shown up for training camp.

The trade was turned into the NFL office and appeared on Sunday's official list of transactions.

But the Browns are being vague about what happened and won't confirm that the trade ever took place.

Browns general manager Tom Heckert said today he had "absolutely nothing'' to report on Bunkley. When pressed, he declined to provide any information and said "You'll have to talk to Philadelphia.''

So for now, it's unclear whether the trade is falling through or whether or not Bunkley will ever show up here. Bunkley was the 14th overall pick of the Eagles out of Florida State when Heckert was general manager there in 2006.

Old
08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Phileeguy
39.904N 75.168W

Well turns out it's not the Browns Bunkley's going to, it's the Broncos. Was there a cut off tweet report after the letters "bro" perhaps, or just regular wheeling and dealing and a change of heart on Cleveland?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/439773...s-player_news/

Old
08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

I love Connor's personally so I hope he doesn't get dealt. Asante would be a big help though.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 50
Ronnie Brown. LOL.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Clown Baby*

Ronnie Brown. LOL.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
IrishSniper87

Ronnie Brown. LOL.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
He could be a good backup for McCoy.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Clown Baby*

Jaydepps. LOL.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Ill give him the benefit of the doubt. Never know what he could do. If he doesn't pan out it is a one year deal. No real loss.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Clown Baby*

I love the move

Old
08-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

damnit, was hoping the Rams would pick him up.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
08-02-2011, 04:25 PM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
damnit, was hoping the Rams would pick him up.
Hollywood Couturier. LOL.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Hollywood Couturier. LOL.
You just notice the change?

Old
08-02-2011, 04:55 PM
dawkins121

Brown was pursued by 4 teams and took the lowest offer. I'd say that investment in Mike Vick a couple years ago had paid off pretty well.

Old
08-02-2011, 05:00 PM
DumpyD

Love the Brown move. Hard to believe the guy is thirty already. Good pickup, although with every signing it seems less and less likely that the birds will go out and get a competent linebacker.

Unless the Asante requesting a trade rumors are true.

Old
08-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

only $1M?

Old
08-02-2011, 06:06 PM
mm6492

Eagles Sign Rt Ryan Harris!!!!!!!!

No Winston Justice!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa Buuuuuddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Old
08-02-2011, 06:10 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Eagles Sign Rt Ryan Harris!!!!!!!!

No Winston Justice!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa Buuuuuddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
A healthy Ryan Harris is a great RT. Lets just hope he is healthy.

Quote:
Because it had been nearly two hours since they'd last signed a free agent, the Philadelphia Eagles just announced the signing of offensive tackle Ryan Harris to a one-year contract. Harris is the second one-year Eagles signing of the day, following running back Ronnie Brown, and he addresses a need that was beginning to concern Eagles fans -- the right side of the offensive line.

It's a surprising signing because Harris is only 25 years old, well regarded as a top right tackle and likely thought he'd get a long-term deal once the market opened. But this week's market clearly isn't last week's market, and it appears players are willing to take less in order to sign with the Eagles, who are loading up for a Super Bowl run.

Harris is an athletic offensive lineman who fits what new line coach Howard Mudd is looking for. It would appear he has a good chance to beat out Winston Justice for the starting right tackle job. The Eagles employ a left-handed quarterback in Michael Vick, which means the right side of the line is his blind side. There had been concerns about Justice and talk about left guard Todd Herremans or rookie right guard Danny Watkins maybe having to move over and play right tackle. Now, it seems, they have brought in a better option and strengthened the line overall.

I'm going to go for a run now. I assume I'll have another Eagles signing to write about when I get back.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...offensive-line

It really is funny

Old
08-02-2011, 08:20 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Philly with the wild offseasons. Glad I'm going to finally see an Eagles game in Buffalo this year.

Hope they can hold on to Asante.

Closed Thread