HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colin White gets waived (UPDATE: Signs with San Jose)

Old
08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

vCash: 500
We can't even claim White with out buying out Wolski. We have like $500k of cap space. We have enough defenseman anyway. I can think of 9 d-men that are capable of holdig an NHL spot that are already on our roster.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gordie We Trust View Post
We can't even claim White with out buying out Wolski. We have like $500k of cap space. We have enough defenseman anyway. I can think of 9 d-men that are capable of holdig an NHL spot that are already on our roster.
Name them. Would love to hear this one.

Im not a huge fan of White, but this team has huge question marks when it comes to the 3rd pair. I think he'd slot in nicely there as a veteran stopgap if he came real cheap.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'd take a Colin White on the bottom pair, but we can't afford him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
xxxZENxxx

As soon as I saw that White was waived, I thought... who is the first to make a post about possibly picking him up? And at $3M nonetheless.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Im not a huge fan of White, but this team has huge question marks when it comes to the 3rd pair. I think he'd slot in nicely there as a veteran stopgap if he came real cheap.
well...im not sure i can name 9...but heres my best attempt...in order from best to worst...

Staal
Girardi
Sauer
McDonagh
Eminger
Erixon
MDZ
Valentenko
Kundratek

that would be my guess anyway.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

I'm not an advocate of just putting in youth for the sake of putting in youth...

but if it comes down to signing Colin White for our third pair, i'm all for putting Tim Erixon there with Eminger or another rookie/MDZ.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm not an advocate of just putting in youth for the sake of putting in youth...

but if it comes down to signing Colin White for our third pair, i'm all for putting Tim Erixon there with Eminger or another rookie/MDZ.
I am too.

But I wont do it while trying to fool myself into believing that we have 9 people ahead of him on the depth chart.

Anybody who even tries to name 9 NHL ready defenseman on the roster will be reaching to varying degrees after the top 4. And of yea, the 3/4 guys are sophomores this season

Old
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The Debbies are going to have to add a few people. They are old and lost some guys. If Brodeur fumbles, they can look forward to another #4 overall draft pick, this time without winning the lottery.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:57 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well...im not sure i can name 9...but heres my best attempt...in order from best to worst...

Staal
Girardi
Sauer
McDonagh
Eminger
Erixon
MDZ
Valentenko
Kundratek

This. Colin White at 3m not only puts us over the cap, but he isnt better even better than half the people on this list. We can barely afford to sign him at league minimum if the Devils buy him out.

Old
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gordie We Trust View Post
This. Colin White at 3m not only puts us over the cap, but he isnt better even better than half the people on this list. We can barely afford to sign him at league minimum if the Devils buy him out.
He wouldnt be 3M - for whatever reason, Lamoriello confirmed hes getting bought out, which means he could be had for much cheaper.

Personally, I'd feel more confident with a year of him then 4-5 guys on Inferno's list.

I think we all got a little spoiled regarding just how well Sauer and McDonagh acclimated to the NHL. Thats rare.

Old
08-01-2011, 04:06 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
He wouldnt be 3M - for whatever reason, Lamoriello confirmed hes getting bought out, which means he could be had for much cheaper.

Personally, I'd feel more confident with a year of him then 4-5 guys on Inferno's list.

I think we all got a little spoiled regarding just how well Sauer and McDonagh acclimated to the NHL. Thats rare.
Did you read the rest of my post? I mentioned that even if/when he gets bought out, we barely even have the cap space to sign him. If Zucc impresses at camp and his $1.75m won't be buried in the AHl, what will we do then? We will be over the cap. We can't afford White to begin with. I'd prefer to play the kids. We aren't winning a cup next year. Just let them get accustomed to the game and learn how to play the role.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I think the day and age of adding vets to the blueline has passed in the NHL. Maybe it's only true come trade deadline to get ready for the playoffs.

With McCabe, Staios, Hannan, Rivet, Campoli, Erskine, Salei, among others still looking for contracts in the NHL,... Seems youth and speed are more desired on the backline.

With Sauer and Mickey D making the team and sticking,... Seems like inexperience is not a big problem anymore. We will have to watch them carefully though in their sophmore year.

I hear from Blueshirt Banters new head guru, MDZ is ready to bust out and quarterback the PP again. This could be good news for Gabby on the break out.
I think it's a pretty big problem actually and sure, there are a lot of 3rd pair old guys ont he market, that doesn't mean vets aren't valuable at the right price. Most of the guys aforementioned most likely priced themselves off the market.

If you look at teams that have gone deep into the playoffs there is usually a lot of EXPERIENCE on the backline. Detroit (Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stewart, Rafalski...), Pittsburgh (Hal Gill, Brooks Orpik, Rob Scuderi, Daryl Sydor, Sergei Gonchar...), Anaheim (Pronger, Neidermeyer, O'Donnell, Beauchamin), Chicago (Sopel, Campbell..they may also be the exception, but I equate Seabrook and Keith to our Girardi and Staal combo, although better than it)...the list can go on.

Staal and Girardi will be that veteran presence in a year or two maybe, but this backline lacks it for the forseeable future. Inexperience is a huge problem.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
NorthlandPro

The cost of Kovalchuk just keeps getting higher and higher for NJ.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
The Mouth

Yes the crafty veteran Steve Eminger. The misconception of him being a veteran on this team continues..

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The devils should erect a statue to Colin White. Or they can just paint him gray and no one will know the difference.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:20 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Yes the crafty veteran Steve Eminger. The misconception of him being a veteran on this team continues..
I mean he's a veteran, but it doesn't mean he's teaching the other defenseman anything or being a "veteran presence"

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Black Tank

This "veteran presence" is just ********. What's Colin White going to teach our young Dman? His successful experience was in pre-lockout rules where a slow footed dman could interfere and be successful.

The third pairing with a rookie and Eminger or MDZ is fine and infinitely more enjoyable to watch than an aging dinosaur get beat all shift long, ice the puck and take a holding penalty on the next shift.

The fact that he was the Devils best defenseman shows how pitiful they are, not how good Colin ****ing White is these days.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

When the Devils went on that crazy run to sniff the playoffs, White was clearly their best d-man and Rolston was one of their best forwards.

Looks like Lou is going to go young, get another high pick before he has to forfeit one and make a big splash in free agency in 2013

Talk about the writing being on the wall for Devils fans. Kinda reminds me of the Mets in 1992.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:54 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I mean he's a veteran, but it doesn't mean he's teaching the other defenseman anything or being a "veteran presence"
thank you. Common misconception here is that all veterans want to be "mentors" to the young guys. Sincerely doubt thats the case.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Rangers35

NO THANKS to white. I like Avery, but yea with Rupp now he is a ? Avs only has I think a year left on his contract.

Rangers35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Out of all of the Devils trash we have taken on over the years this is one I wouldn't mind one bit. White is a physical defender who will help keep the blue for Hank clean. I can't imagine White is too happy with this so he might give the Devils biggest rival a discount just to give it to his old team.

I don't care what anyone says he's better than Eminger and some of those guys on Inferno's list. If we can give 1.5 for 1 year and he gets his 1.5 from the Debbies on the buyout he still makes his 3 mil and we get a discount. I just don't see any negative to looking into it. A win/win for NYR and a lose/lose for NJD.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Staal
Girardi
Sauer
McDonagh
Eminger
Erixon
MDZ
Valentenko
Kundratek

Two injuries and we are in deep trouble. If Erixon isn't as good as we all hope we are in bigger trouble. Sauer and MCD or just one of them have some sophmore slumps we are really screwed. All of these things can happen.

You have Eminger as 5th on our depth chart here and I can agree with that. Two injuries he's in our top 4 and thats scary. Don't think there will be injuries? Watch last season again. The Rangers block shots like crazy, injuries happen. Depth is good.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Out of all of the Devils trash we have taken on over the years this is one I wouldn't mind one bit. White is a physical defender who will help keep the blue for Hank clean. I can't imagine White is too happy with this so he might give the Devils biggest rival a discount just to give it to his old team.

I don't care what anyone says he's better than Eminger and some of those guys on Inferno's list. If we can give 1.5 for 1 year and he gets his 1.5 from the Debbies on the buyout he still makes his 3 mil and we get a discount. I just don't see any negative to looking into it. A win/win for NYR and a lose/lose for NJD.
He's getting 2 mil from the devils, spread over 2 years.

The money is tight as it is. If both MZA and Erixon make the team, we'll have to carry 22 players. White might help, but signing him at this point would be a mistake. Let the kids battle it out with Eminger for the 5/6 spots. If only 1 makes it, carry 6 dmen. If 2 make it, Eminger becomes the 7th.

We have all year until the trade deadline to add a dman if it becomes a problem.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
thank you. Common misconception here is that all veterans want to be "mentors" to the young guys. Sincerely doubt thats the case.
Being a veteran isn't just beneficial from a "mentoring" perspective though. It's about the player having the experience of having been through the motions before. Knowing what to expect throughout the course of an 82 game season, and also the playoffs. There's a certain familiarity/comfort factor involved with having that experience. These are attributes that younger & more inexperienced players might not yet possess. Speaking generally here... I don't think Eminger is a big difference maker, but he's certainly a good depth guy and I like that he's willing to play a physical brand of hockey.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:28 PM
The Mouth

This is the crux of my argument against eminger being tagged with the veteran role. He hasn't played over 70 games in a season ever. In the last 5 seasons he has only played over 50 games 3 times. He has 5 playoff games to his his credit in his entire career.

If fans want to keep him around because he's cheap that's one thing but to make him out as a vet because he has been through the rigors of several NHL campaigns is just not the case with this guy.

A player that meets my criteria for a vet is a vet no matter if he wants to mentor other players or not. So I do agree with you Wolf on that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Being a veteran isn't just beneficial from a "mentoring" perspective though. It's about the player having the experience of having been through the motions before. Knowing what to expect throughout the course of an 82 game season, and also the playoffs. There's a certain familiarity/comfort factor involved with having that experience. These are attributes that younger & more inexperienced players might not yet possess. Speaking generally here... I don't think Eminger is a big difference maker, but he's certainly a good depth guy and I like that he's willing to play a physical brand of hockey.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote