HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NJD] Trent Hunter and Colin White for buyout [Both Cleared and Bought Out]

Old
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
NJDevils66621

vCash: 500
Bryan McCabe?

NJDevils66621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:03 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Possibly making room for Scott Hannan?

When does Lou Lamoriello start getting top billing as a terrible GM? The guy hires a coach that has never made the playoffs. He has 2 buyouts already on the books and now he's looking to add two more...wtf.

I didn't think Colin White was that bad. Isles should really consider picking him up or signing him after the buyout. Hunter on the other hand is trash.
Yup... Been saying this for a while now. Lou has had a series of questionable moves since the lockout. He has proven to be a bad GM under the new CBA and hasn't been able to control his payroll well or make good roster decisions. He's still living on his past reputation. I argued this in a thread a few weeks ago when a Devils' fan said that Lou has a great history and won't question his decisions. I think he's proven enough now that every one of his decisions should be questioned.

He still continues to get a free pass from too many. Even after the Rolston trade the justification was that it wasn't a bad signing because they got something for him in a trade. All they got was a smaller buyout.

Lou's a HOF GM who needs to retire. Everyone eventually reaches their expiration date no matter how great they once were. Lou seems to be past his. A great GM in the past era. Too many questionable and below-average moves in today's era.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:06 PM
ManoWarrior

I've gotta think that Devils fans are losing faith in LL.

Devs defence is not looking good. When Volchenkov is out of the lineup, it's gonna get downright ugly. It seems like they've got to make a move to strengthen that lineup.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Adam Larsson

People are acting like we bought out superstars..we waived a 4th liner with injury problems and a 3rd pairing defensman who is a shell of his former self since his eye injury.. see ya later more cap space. dont forget we have Salvador who can do everything white can do. and we have enough young players to make up for the loss of hunter.. i like these moves, cap space is important.

Adam Larsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
I've gotta think that Devils fans are losing faith in LL.

Devs defence is not looking good. When Volchenkov is out of the lineup, it's gonna get downright ugly. It seems like they've got to make a move to strengthen that lineup.
Depends on the health of Salvador I suppose. I'm still puzzled by how a top 4 of Salvador/Greene/White/Mottau helped earn a Jennings Trophy in 2009-10. (insert Trap joke here)

If anything, I'm more worried about the ownership situation than I am with Lou. Not much a GM can do if he's told to slash salaries due to budget reasons.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Adam Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
WHAT THE ****!?

White was our best defenseman last season.
Which says more about our defense that Colin's abilities. I would argue that you are completley, 100% wrong when you say he was our best defensman last year. He may have been the most consistent defensman we had last year, but Volchenkov and Tallinder were both better, especially after Maclean was gone. Salvador was also better than white every year they played together. You people are being rediculous. I am so happy colin white is gone I wanna throw a party.

Old
08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias to Parise View Post
Which says more about our defense that Colin's abilities. I would argue that you are completley, 100% wrong when you say he was our best defensman last year. He may have been the most consistent defensman we had last year, but Volchenkov and Tallinder were both better, especially after Maclean was gone. Salvador was also better than white every year they played together. You people are being rediculous. I am so happy colin white is gone I wanna throw a party.
You and me both brother

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Tyrion Targaryen*
HALFMAN!!!!

This move is precarious. I'm fine with Hunter, even though I wanted to see him get a chance.

But White getting bought out makes no sense. Not a good way to reward loyalty for signing cheap all these years.

Tyrion Targaryen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:26 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

volchenkov was probably our best dman. Tallinder was worse than any dman I've ever seen under MacLean after Greene

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
i like these moves, cap space is important.
If cap space is so important to you, don't you see the problem with signing or acquiring players and then buying them out? You do realize that a portion of that cap hit remains for twice the length of the original contract.

When you buy out players you do so because the original contracts you gave them were not good contracts and was not good cap management to begin with. Buying them out later and taking that extra cap hit for twice the length doesn't make it good cap management.

Old
08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Tyrion Targaryen*
HALFMAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
volchenkov was probably our best dman. Tallinder was worse than any dman I've ever seen under MacLean after Greene
Oxymoron?

Tyrion Targaryen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Yup... Been saying this for a while now. Lou has had a series of questionable moves since the lockout. He has proven to be a bad GM under the new CBA and hasn't been able to control his payroll well or make good roster decisions. He's still living on his past reputation. I argued this in a thread a few weeks ago when a Devils' fan said that Lou has a great history and won't question his decisions. I think he's proven enough now that every one of his decisions should be questioned.

He still continues to get a free pass from too many. Even after the Rolston trade the justification was that it wasn't a bad signing because they got something for him in a trade. All they got was a smaller buyout.

Lou's a HOF GM who needs to retire. Everyone eventually reaches their expiration date no matter how great they once were. Lou seems to be past his. A great GM in the past era. Too many questionable and below-average moves in today's era.

How exactly has he been ďproven to be a bad GM under the new CBAĒ considering his teams have won the division four times and finished lower than 4th in the East just once since the lockout? The bottom line is still about results & while the postseason success hasnít been there heís still managed to put together solid teams that could compete for a Cup all but once since the lockout after coming off a long period of having low draft picks.

I have no problem questioning his moves, but itís comical how some non-Devils fans try to paint Louís performance since the lockout. Despite some of his misses, I donít think there are many Devils fans out there that want to see him leave.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Adam Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
The rest of what he said is pretty good too. People who think Lou is still a top notch GM are living in 2003, I guess they'll have to hit the decade mark before they actually wake up and accept the sad state of current affairs.
Total exaggeration, complete BS. Colin White is garbage. W miss the playoffs once in 15 years, sad state? What does that make the other GM's who haven't won a cup since the last time we won one. Idk if your a Cap or Devils fan but if you are a Devils fan, you're a prime example of how spoiled we are. You can't win every year its not possible. Your all just bitter Parise didn't sign long term, somehow thats all Lou's fault, but if Zach didnt wanna sign it, there's nothing you can do about it. Does it suck, yes! But this is a free country and Parise doenst have to sign any contract he doesnt want to. Devils fans are so bitter about the Parise thing and a lot of you were running you mouth calling posters stupid, becasue "Zach is gonna resign brah, long term brah". It blew up in your faces(maybe not you specifically).

Getting rid of Colin White or Trent Hunter is not gonna be the difference between us being a playoff team or a non playoff team; or a contender or non contender. He's an over the hill defensive defensman, who cant fight anymore, he takes stupid penalties(not as many as he used to, but still), and is half blind. PEACE COLIN WHITE, dont let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Old
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddardStark View Post
Oxymoron?
what?

Old
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Adam Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
If cap space is so important to you, don't you see the problem with signing or acquiring players and then buying them out? You do realize that a portion of that cap hit remains for twice the length of the original contract.

When you buy out players you do so because the original contracts you gave them were not good contracts and not good cap management to begin with. Buying them out later and taking that extra cap hit for twice the length doesn't make it good cap management.
Yes i do realize that and thats fine with me. these are low level contracts, not chris drury. ive already seen what were gonna have to pay hunter and white and its really not that much over the next few years. the cap keeeps going up and they were players of not much use to us.

we will pay 1.66M for both players the next 2 years and .66m the two years after. Holy **** how will we ever SURVIVE!?!?!?!

Also if trading for a player and then buying him out is soooooo horrible. do you know what we would be paying Rolston if we bought him out instead!?

Last edited by Adam Larsson: 08-01-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old
08-01-2011, 04:44 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

caps going to drop after the next CBA I think. Lou would be smart to do what he can to avoid getting crunched. It'll give him some negotiating room with Parise too especially if the cap goes down

edit: white's contract is expiring so I dunno. so much for that theory

Old
08-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
How exactly has he been “proven to be a bad GM under the new CBA” considering his teams have won the division four times and finished lower than 4th in the East just once since the lockout? The bottom line is still about results & while the postseason success hasn’t been there he’s still managed to put together solid teams that could compete for a Cup all but once since the lockout after coming off a long period of having low draft picks.

I have no problem questioning his moves, but it’s comical how some non-Devils fans try to paint Lou’s performance since the lockout. Despite some of his misses, I don’t think there are many Devils fans out there that want to see him leave.
The Devils began the post lockout era as a top team. They have been on a steady decline ever since. Lou has lost several star players to free agency and has doled out a few questionable contracts in his own right.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:47 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Possibly making room for Scott Hannan?

When does Lou Lamoriello start getting top billing as a terrible GM? The guy hires a coach that has never made the playoffs. He has 2 buyouts already on the books and now he's looking to add two more...wtf.

I didn't think Colin White was that bad. Isles should really consider picking him up or signing him after the buyout. Hunter on the other hand is trash.
Glenn Sather is still your GM and what has he done in his entire run with your team? Lou is working it right now.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Adam Larsson

[QUOTE=Sideline;35573453]The Devils began the post lockout era as a top team. They have been on a steady decline ever since. Lou has lost several star players to free agency and has doled out a few questionable contracts in his own right.[/QUOTE]

which could describe 70% of all GM/teams. Lou isn't perfect and has made mistakes, but this isn't one of them. Colin White was one of those contracts and now he's gone!

Old
08-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

hunter was just in the way, that makes sense. cheaper to buy him out than rolston.

white. gotta assume that's setting up a move for another d-man until proven otherwise.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 04:51 PM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddardStark View Post
This move is precarious. I'm fine with Hunter, even though I wanted to see him get a chance.

But White getting bought out makes no sense. Not a good way to reward loyalty for signing cheap all these years.
Wasn't it not too long ago that Lou was being criticized for being too loyal?

And how exactly was White signing cheap all these years? If that were the case, Lou wouldíve been able to trade him or White would be claimed on waivers vs. likely having to be bought out.

Old
08-01-2011, 04:55 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Would love to see the Rangers sign White for our bottom pairing. I mean, I like ya and all Eminger, but...
I would cry if I had to see White defending Lundqvist.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Yes i do realize that and thats fine with me. these are low level contracts, not chris drury. ive already seen what were gonna have to pay hunter and white and its really not that much over the next few years. the cap keeeps going up and they were players of not much use to us.

we will pay 1.66M for both players the next 2 years and .66m the two years after. Holy **** how will we ever SURVIVE!?!?!?!

Also if trading for a player and then buying him out is soooooo horrible. do you know what we would be paying Rolston if we bought him out instead!?
$1.66 mill is basically the cost of a decent 3rd liner or good bottom-pairing dman. It's a cap waste to have that kind of money paid out without a body to contribute for it.

And yes, I realize that Rolston's buyout would have been much higher. That makes him a bad UFA signing to begin with. They basically signed dead cap space for the next couple years and no matter how you spin that, it's poor cap management.

Buyouts happens to try and minimize mistakes. If those signings weren't mistakes to begin with, there wouldn't be a need for buyouts. Just because Drury was a bigger mistake for the Rangers doesn't mean that Rolston and White weren't mistakes for the Devils.

Old
08-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Parise9Crosby87

its cause devils are going to sign doughty

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
The Devils began the post lockout era as a top team. They have been on a steady decline ever since. Lou has lost several star players to free agency and has doled out a few questionable contracts in his own right.
The Devils were a top team in the league for over a decade prior to the lockout...a bit tough to maintain that level of success. Still, as I pointed out earlier this past season was the first time the Devils have finished lower than 4th in the conference since the lockout. He's made some bad moves, but has also fixed a few of his mistakes and still largely fielded teams that could compete for the Cup. Not someone that's been "awful" since the lockout or needs to retire as some would suggest.