HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread II

Old
08-01-2011, 05:32 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'll also select my coach, Red Berenson, a one time Jack Adams winner and a guy with a very good winning % in a short NHL career. I don't see how he's not better than Bobby Kromm.

1981 Jack Adams Trophy Winner
.569% Career Winning % in NHL
2x NCAA Champion
6th all-time in NCAA Wins

Quote:
Berenson retired from playing in 1978 and joined the Blues' coaching staff. He became the team's Head Coach midway through the 1979–80 season. A year later, he won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's Coach of the Year. He returned to his Alma Mater as Head Coach in 1984 and has remained in the position ever since. Berenson has led the Wolverines to 11 Frozen Four appearances, and NCAA championships in 1996 and 1998. In CCHA competition, his teams have won 11 regular-season and 9 tournament titles, and the Wolverines have secured a winning record since Berenson's second year at the helm. In addition, Berenson's squads have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in each of the last 21 seasons. This is the longest streak ever in college hockey history. His all-time record as Michigan's Head Coach is 730–338–72, a record which currently places him 6th in NCAA history for career victories. The Wolverines have also won 12 Great Lakes Invitational titles under Berenson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Berenson

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 08-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
But you stick with your 19 game sample if you like, you're welcome to your opinion.
Hold up on the passive aggression dude, the way I was reading your earlier posts was that you were arguing he would have stayed a 50-goal man sans injury, that his 50-goal season was not a fluke. I wouldn't argue that he could have very well been a 30-goal scorer; but his one big year was flukey.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Hold up on the passive aggression dude, the way I was reading your earlier posts was that you were arguing he would have stayed a 50-goal man sans injury, that his 50-goal season was not a fluke. I wouldn't argue that he could have very well been a 30-goal scorer; but his one big year was flukey.
And here we are back at the start.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
And here we are back at the start.
It was set off when you said that Leeman's usually written off as a fluke now - but the only thing written off as a fluke is the 50-goal year, not the 30-goal years.

Old
08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'll also select my coach, Red Berenson, a one time Jack Adams winner and a guy with a very good winning % in a short NHL career. I don't see how he's not better than Bobby Kromm.

Kromm just has a lot on his resume. He was coach of Canada in 1961 when they became the last Canadian amateur team to win the World Championships. Coach of the year and championship in the WHA. Then the Adams in the NHL (with an overall losing record in the NHL).

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Dreakmur

For a back-up goalie, we'll take a guy who actually has quite a bit of experience as a back-up goalie. He actually received some pretty serious Vezina and All-Star votes while he was a back-up, sometimes getting more recognition than the starter. He has a 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th in Vezina voting - the year he was 7th, 3 guys ahead of him had a single vote, so take that for what it's worth.

Bryan Hayward

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Dreakmur

We'll also take an offensively skilled spare who can play C or W, Serge Bernier

Old
08-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
seventieslord already gave me his opinion on this , but who would you use a a spare between Brad Stuart , Vladimir Malakhov and Baldy Spittal?

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 06:30 PM
TheJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
We'll also take an offensively skilled spare who can play C or W, Serge Bernier
He went #894.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 06:30 PM
seventieslord

Looks like Bernier was already taken, 898th in the ATD.... I guess you don't think he was a very good pick at that time then, hey!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
seventieslord already gave me his opinion on this , but who would you use a a spare between Brad Stuart , Vladimir Malakhov and Baldy Spittal?
I'd have to look at your whole roster before deciding.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Spittal. His best years were as a forward anyway.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Spittal. His best years were as a forward anyway.
I'm intrigued. What can you tell us about the distribution of games?

----------------------------------------

Hey guys, you know what I was thinking? I'd take Dennis Kearns right about now. What about you?

Old
08-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Looks like Bernier was already taken, 898th in the ATD.... I guess you don't think he was a very good pick at that time then, hey!
He went in the main draft? ouch....

I guess I'll take a different center who also played wing - Dave Creighton.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Hey guys, you know what I was thinking? I'd take Dennis Kearns right about now. What about you?
If he was available, I would have taken him ahead of Berard.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:46 PM
seventieslord

I'd like the Hayward pick a lot more if he was ever able to be top-10 in minutes and sv% in the same season. But the dude only played 40 games twice.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I'd like the Hayward pick a lot more if he was ever able to be top-10 in minutes and sv% in the same season. But the dude only played 40 games twice.
Assuming you are right, he was better with less work, which he will get as my team's back-up.

Considering his reduced # of games, his vezina record is pretty amazing.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
I'm intrigued. What can you tell us about the distribution of games?
With Ottawa, I have him playing 14 games at LW, 6 at point, 3 at cover-point, 2 at RW, and 1 each at centre and rover.

In the US, he played 48 of 55 on defence (mostly point), and a few games each at rover and centre.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Assuming you are right, he was better with less work, which he will get as my team's back-up.

Considering his reduced # of games, his vezina record is pretty amazing.
Well, he was better when he played behind Montreal's defence, surely. He also may have benefited from the backup effect, where he played against the weaker opponents, while Roy took the tough games. Haven't looked at that in any rigorous way though.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Well, he was better when he played behind Montreal's defence, surely. He also may have benefited from the backup effect, where he played against the weaker opponents, while Roy took the tough games. Haven't looked at that in any rigorous way though.
It's not like he was playing 10 games, so he wasn't really sheltered from the tough competition. He played over 35 games 3 times in Montreal.

The strong vezina record is too much to ignore, don't you think? In 1987 and 88, Hayward, as Roy's back-up, received more Vezina votes than Roy.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:02 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Philadelphia will also select a guy that can really fill a hole anywhere in our lineup and really is good at everything. The only question with him is competition, C Alexander Uvarov

\

23 goals in 59 career Team USSR games
203 goals in 259 career Soviet League games
1x Soviet League Champion

Quote:
This is Alexander Uvarov, one of the earliest hockey stars in Russia.

Like most athletes new to hockey in the Soviet Union in the late 1940s, the 5'7" 160lbs Uvarov was a bandy star. Bandy was a similar game played on ice and skates, with a ball instead of a puck. Uvarov was a noted skating wonder in bandy, so once he mastered the art of handling the puck he became a top hockey player.

Though the game was only introduced when Uvarov was already in his 20s, he was noted as an exceptional player because "he had an outstanding ability to think on the ice. He controlled the game and orchestrated play by speeding up or slowing down the pace of the game when needed. In short, he was the pace-setter."

Uvarov may have been the very first dominant center in Russia, thus setting the standard for the classic Soviet pivot - masterminding the offense with playmaking rather than goal scoring. He would brilliantly set his Moscow Dynamo linemates Valentin Kuzin and Yuri Krylov free to score goals. Uvarov did not get much credit, but he often was the key reason for the goal.

On the national team, Uvarov's advanced understanding of the game was utilized in another fashion. He was the defensive expert used to shutdown the top lines of the Czechs, Swedes and Canadians. Because of his unselfish play he allowed the Russians to stay in games earlier in their involvement in hockey, and later helped them win. All again without necessarily scoring the big goal himself.

The hat-wearing Uvarov and his linemates often confused the opposition with many short passes rather than rushing the puck individually, and with criss-crossing positions. Neither tactic was common back then, and would become the foundation of Soviet hockey theory.

All thanks to the early example set by Alexander Uvarov. He was the ultimate team player, and was acknowledge as such by serving as team captain for Moscow Dynamo for 11 years.

Uvarov scored 202 goals in 259 Soviet league games, although Dynamo only won one USSR Championship (1954). He participated in 27 games with the national team, most famously with the 1956 Olympic team that shocked the world to win gold.
http://internationalhockeylegends.bl...er-uvarov.html

Quote:
Alexander Uvarov came to Canadian-style hockey from the bandy rink, so he was well qualified to make fast progress in ...
http://www.google.com/search?q=alexa...w=1366&bih=638

Quote:
"He had speed, a smooth skating style and stamina... quickly mastered the art of handling the puck... had all the requirements - speed, technique, powerful shots on goal, and an ability to help out on defense... had an outstanding ability to think on the ice. He controlled the game and orchestrated play by speeding up or slowing down the pace as needed.... had excellent peripheral vision... another special talent was versatility... his line attacked aggressively and scored the most goals domestically... when on the national team he became the shutdown center, neutralizing opposing stars... strategy was to keep the puck away from the opposition using a series of short, swift passes... The 1956 Olympic gold medal game was practically won on two goals scored on passes from Uvarov... a team player of the highest caliber, always placing the team's interests above his own... was team captain for 11 seasons in a row, and played until age 38.
-Kings of the Ice

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 08-03-2011 at 05:50 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Warroad Lakers D Sean Hill

and I had a bit of help from Ian on this one:

Warroad Lakers also select C Carl Kendall

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:17 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Philadelphia will also select a guy that can really fill a hole anywhere in our lineup and really is good at everything. The only question with him is competition, C Alexander Uvarov

I don't know about you guys, but the silly look on his face is enough for me to question him, personally....

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

With our skipped picks (323 and 324) Red Wings select Vladimir Ruzicka and Magnus Flett.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
With our skipped picks (323 and 324) Red Wings select Vladimir Ruzicka and Magnus Flett.
We liked Ruzicka as well, nice pick man, also who has been skipped?

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote