HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[NJD] Trent Hunter and Colin White(Update: White signs with Sharks)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Was Cole's case that different last season?

Hunter could just have a good season. Same as Cole last season.

I would risk picking him up at 2mil cap hit just for the sake of having 1 more player who hits everything
It wouldn't even be 2 mil. That's why I'd do it.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It wouldn't even be 2 mil. That's why I'd do it.
Why? I'm missing something...

At < 2mil, that would be an awesome bet.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Why? I'm missing something...

At < 2mil, that would be an awesome bet.
He's being bought out. He'll likely take a massive paycut as he's still earning that 2 million somewhere else.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I think just under 2 mil for 1 year of White is well worth it, I'd even go as high as 2 for one season or 3.5 for 2, he's 33, so not more than 2.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
I think just under 2 mil for 1 year of White is well worth it, I'd even go as high as 2 for one season or 3.5 for 2, he's 33, so not more than 2.
It's not like cap space is at a premium for us this season. I'd rather have him at $3M for 1 year than $4M for 2 years, at this point. Preserve the flexibility. Claim him on waivers if he's available in our spot in the order.

Old
08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
le_sean

Lots of hits, lots of blocked shots. Exactly what the Habs need for the defence. Solid option to play alongside PK.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
RE-HABS

Hunter on re-entry at half the cost is a cheap $1 million option in the bottom 6. Would rather make a trade for Clarkson.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
An open spot on the blueline that could very quickly become a logjam that sees a young player wanting out because they are giving trashy veterans ice time over them.

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Yemelin
Diaz
Nash

Plenty of d for me. I rather see them maybe go after someone mid season.
It looks like a lot of depth, but I see question marks up and down that list. Diaz and Nash likely need some grow time in the AHL. It's to be seen whether Emelin and Weber have ripened into NHL regulars. The combined age and mileage of Gill and Spacek is close to 80 years and 2000 games. Gorges and Markov are coming back from wrecked knees -- Markov in consecutive seasons.

The point is not to be negative. I acknowledge that with no bad luck and a pleasant surprise or two, the Habs D will be in very good shape. But my expectation is for the ordinary course of a season to have its share of injuries, veteran letdowns, and unfulfilled hopes, and so I think the Habs could use a little more NHL depth on defence, preferably a guy who can hit and block shots.

I guess the question just comes down to timing. Is it better to scrounge and hoard now, when picking from the scrap heap is free, or is it better to harvest what you can in fall and hope to purchase what you need in winter with draft picks and prospects?

I do take your point (I think it's your point) that all else being equal, a veteran will play ahead of a prospect. But to my mind that's understandable because of the importance of NHL experience. I don't think it's a bad thing to go into training camp challenging Emelin or Weber to prove he's better than at least one of 6 NHL defencemen. Otherwise one just has to be better than the other, which doesn't guarantee much.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Hunter on re-entry at half the cost is a cheap $1 million option in the bottom 6. Would rather make a trade for Clarkson.
They'll never trade Clarkson, one of the reasons they're letting these guys go. I'm sure!

Old
08-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

If he clears and they buy him out, i could see them looking at him. I know Gauthier, he's not going to go into the season with Yemelin and Diaz, two guys who've never played in the NHL, as the 7-8 guys. If he can get white for around 1.5 a year, he'll probably jump on it. I suspect another team will offer him a bit more though--it's not like he's washed up or anything.

P.S. Is markov even going to ready for the beginning of the season?

Old
08-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Forsead

Having White has in our top 6 would make the team way better and would help the depth alot.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
If he clears and they buy him out, i could see them looking at him. I know Gauthier, he's not going to go into the season with Yemelin and Diaz, two guys who've never played in the NHL, as the 7-8 guys. If he can get white for around 1.5 a year, he'll probably jump on it. I suspect another team will offer him a bit more though--it's not like he's washed up or anything.

P.S. Is markov even going to ready for the beginning of the season?
Almost common sense, & NJ is giving out a gift we can use(If he gets to us) But they do call PG the Ghost from Ottawa days, so who knows?

Old
08-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
White vs. Hannan? Who would you choose and why?

I definitely don't get this. Isn't New Jersey really thin on defensemen these days?
Not really fond of either, but I'd pick White because he sucks less than Hanna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
His knees are wrecked apparently.
His knees are "fine", or else he wouldn't be able to be bought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Lots of hits, lots of blocked shots. Exactly what the Habs need for the defence. Solid option to play alongside PK.
Not really. Trent Hunter averages more hits per game (based on 2009-2010 season) than White does. White blocks an alright amount of shots. Though, I think those are from him playing upper minutes. (like top 4). On Montréal he'd play bottom 6 minutes. He'd get less blocked shots and probably less hits.

Can't see Montréal signing him even if he does get bought out.

Jeff Halpern's knee was thought to be done at one point, too. He was also older. Trent Hunter can still be useful and he must be healthy, or else a buyout isn't possible.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:36 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
His knees are "fine", or else he wouldn't be able to be bought out.
Medically, he may be "fine". Read the opinions of Isles fans who have actually been watching him play though.

Kind of like how Chris Drury's knee was "fine" enough to get bought out.

Old
08-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Miller Time

White on waivers or signing him once he clears would b a solid addition.

Would make moving Spacek that much more of a priority... Even though we have cap space to work with, it would b foolish to have 2 depth veterans earning a combined ~7m

Old
08-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It's not like cap space is at a premium for us this season. I'd rather have him at $3M for 1 year than $4M for 2 years, at this point. Preserve the flexibility. Claim him on waivers if he's available in our spot in the order.
Agreed, this is either something that Gauthier is interested in and acts on decisively or not. Risking the unpredictability of waivers twice is not a smart move no matter what the potential for dollar savings.

Given that White is on waivers and was presumably advertised beforehand I think it is safe to say that Gauthier has taken a pass on this opportunity.

Having said that PG will probably pick him up later in the year for a second round draft pick.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:24 AM
7th Player

White averaged a tad under 19 mins a game last season, and at 33 y.o. I still think he has some gas left in the tank to play a bottom pairing role at least.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
White averaged a tad under 19 mins a game last season, and at 33 y.o. I still think he has some gas left in the tank to play a bottom pairing role at least.
you also need to add in the fact that he gets zero PP time. He averages around 16-17 even-stength minutes which is good

Old
08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Agreed, this is either something that Gauthier is interested in and acts on decisively or not. Risking the unpredictability of waivers twice is not a smart move no matter what the potential for dollar savings.

Given that White is on waivers and was presumably advertised beforehand I think it is safe to say that Gauthier has taken a pass on this opportunity.

Having said that PG will probably pick him up later in the year for a second round draft pick.
I have essentially no hope that Gauthier actually will claim him. Whatever plan Gauthier has - whether he had a camp invite leftover in mind, or another UFA, or is truly just content with the mix he has - I don't see White intruding on his plans. Who knows. I'd sure go for White. But as you say, if every team passed on trading a 7th rounder for him, then I would guesstimate that every team is going to pass on him on waivers too. (Unless White was blocking things with an NTC, say).

I'm not entirely sure why his value is so low. I don't watch him closely, of course, but I haven't found myself saying in the games I do see, "wow, White sure has lost it and looks like a pylon out there." Which does happen frequently enough to players of his type at around his age. Yet he seems like mostly the same player for the past few years? I'd like him better if he had some of the old aggression he showed as a junior, I remember watching those teams live in my Q days... never actually thought he'd make the NHL, but for sure would never have thought he'd make it while reining in his tough side to boot.

Well, if he does pass waivers, I'd add him to my small list of guys I'd like to see the team sign. Still just a 1-year offer, though.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:13 AM
RBR

vCash: 50
I read somewhere that White was only shopped to the West (probably where he wanted to go). If this is true, the Habs would probably have to claim him if they want any shot at him. It's unlikely he would sign.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Even though we have cap space to work with, it would b foolish to have 2 depth veterans earning a combined ~7m
It would be more foolish to trade Spacek just to get cap space that we won't used. I think Spacek is more valuable to us than a 6th round pick (assuming that's the low return we'd get for him via trade)

Old
08-02-2011, 11:20 AM
PinchedNerve

Both cleared.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:24 AM
habsrule22

How long before they are in fact bought out and become UFA

Old
08-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I have essentially no hope that Gauthier actually will claim him. Whatever plan Gauthier has - whether he had a camp invite leftover in mind, or another UFA, or is truly just content with the mix he has - I don't see White intruding on his plans. Who knows. I'd sure go for White. But as you say, if every team passed on trading a 7th rounder for him, then I would guesstimate that every team is going to pass on him on waivers too. (Unless White was blocking things with an NTC, say).

I'm not entirely sure why his value is so low. I don't watch him closely, of course, but I haven't found myself saying in the games I do see, "wow, White sure has lost it and looks like a pylon out there." Which does happen frequently enough to players of his type at around his age. Yet he seems like mostly the same player for the past few years? I'd like him better if he had some of the old aggression he showed as a junior, I remember watching those teams live in my Q days... never actually thought he'd make the NHL, but for sure would never have thought he'd make it while reining in his tough side to boot.

Well, if he does pass waivers, I'd add him to my small list of guys I'd like to see the team sign. Still just a 1-year offer, though.
Based on what's written on the Devils board it seems that many people are miffed at what's happening to White. And just to bring myself up to date on him I looked at last year's stats. In a weak year for the team White had the best plus/minus for any player playing more than 60 games (-2) . If there are no new undisclosed injuries and his eye is healthy I can't imagine there being too much risk. The team can absorb him and jettison Spacek making it a good swap in my opinion.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Even though we have cap space to work with, it would b foolish to have 2 depth veterans earning a combined ~7m
It would be more foolish to trade Spacek just to get cap space that we won't used. I think Spacek is more valuable to us than a 6th round pick (assuming that's the low return we'd get for him via trade)

Closed Thread