HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Frolov claims Avery uses racist remarks to agitate? (Frolov: No I didn't)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
pwoz

vCash: 500
I hope Avery becomes the old Avery for HBO's cameras!

Old
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
CH2

If Avery calls a big fighter an ape is that a racist remark? The Russian writer probably used some creative liberty to make the story more interesting.

Old
08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
This would affect my opinion of Avery if I had any respect for him in the first place, which I don't.

So I don't find it utterly shocking. Just disgusting and continually disappointing that this loudmouthed simpleton continues to wear a Ranger sweater and has had his name chanted at the garden.

08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
eco's bones

I wonder what goes on in the boardroom's of major corporations that just happened to be color free. I wonder what kind of things they say there. For instance I even wonder what many of these major donors to the GOP say about the current president. That's all good?--as long as no one hears about it.

This is one of the more asinine threads I have read on this site. Alleged remarks made several years ago. No real proof of which means get off my frigging team. Honestly I think it's funny that several posters defending Avery here really wouldn't mind him off the team but it's more about his game than his persona. I can at least understand that.

Here's something to think about--Avery may even have made that remark to Laraque or maybe he didn't--but does anyone really think he's a bigot?--after the gay rights thing? Did he have any real problems with Nigel Dawes or Kevin Weekes? No doubt at least one night back in his days with the Kings he frustrated the **** out of Laraque. Laraque a legit heavyweight wants to fight him?--a 5'10 agitator? Sounds a little stupid doesn't it? Like Laraque (not Avery) lost his cool? An angry player justifying his own loss of self control after a game?--like Cairns going off on Purinton? Daneyko on Malhotra? Probert on Domi?

Old
08-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
This would affect my opinion of Avery if I had any respect for him in the first place, which I don't.

So I don't find it utterly shocking. Just disgusting and continually disappointing that this loudmouthed simpleton continues to wear a Ranger sweater and has had his name chanted at the garden.
Hey! That's part of his role, it's what he's supposed to do! Get over it!

Old
08-01-2011, 05:19 PM
eco's bones

There's an argument to be made that Avery's game has been marginalized to the extent that the Rangers should at least think about getting rid of him. There is no real reason to believe though that he is a locker room problem. The player's he was apparently closest to last year included Gaborik and Lundqvist--the team's two most talented players. There has also been speculation that he helped getting Richards to sign with us.

These aren't reasons enough to keep him on board but this locker room cancer talk is a bunch of crap.

These are the main reasons for parting company as far as I'm concerned--and I don't think the Rangers are quite ready to do so yet:

1) his ability to agitate has been pretty much smothered for a bunch of reasons but there seems to be also some decline in his game. His size factors into this--the way he's played there's been a lot of physical abuse. It might be something that affects Callahan when he hits 31-32.

2) Tortorella does not use him much on specialty teams. For a bottom liner who's agitating game has been marginalized that's a problem. In the defensive end of the ice Avery very often is not (or no longer) strong enough on the puck and is more prone to giveaways than most other Ranger forwards. I'm saying this without looking at the stats--it's basically an impression I've been having for a while.

3) more and more bigger, younger, faster competition is coming his way from other Rangers prospects--Hagelin--next year Kreider for examples.

Truthfully I see this as Avery's last year with the Rangers and quite possibly his last year as a professional hockey player. I still see him as a legit NHL hockey player though. He can keep up the pace--he can make plays--but the Rangers are getting younger and better and his role is diminishing. I expect his end is going to be all about natural selection.

Old
08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

If he walked around saying it to fans or people on the street then I'd have a problem with it. But, in the role he plays (& yes that matters) it's his job to piss people off. We all know that Laraque for the most part was a big teddy bear and didn't want to fight unless he absolutely had to (he wasn't a true enforcer). Maybe that was the only thing that Avery could throw @ him to piss him off. If that's the case, he was doing his job.

I think anyone that has played a competitive sport at any level past I don't know 5th grade rec soccer knows that there's generally trash talking and it only gets worse as you get older. Trust me, I've heard a lot worse than that and I'm sure that Avery has probably said a lot worse than that. It's not a big deal and the world isn't going to end tomorrow because of it.

Old
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Racist remarks or no racist remarks, Avery is a clown that needs to be gone. ASAP.

His welcome has been worn out.

Old
08-01-2011, 05:55 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Frolov didn't say that at all...

Two things...one, this was apparently back in the day with the Kings and not with the Rangers

And two, this doesn't excuse Avery in any way if he did say these things, but it would hardly be the worst thing that a hockey player has said to another hockey player...

anyhow, believe half of what you see, none of what you hear... when people, even children fight, they typically pick on the most prominent, obvious, likely-to-have-a-impact thing... and i'm a disability rights activist saying WHO CARES?! he deserves to get the **** kicked out of him then (which laraque could do with one arm)... then move on...

Old
08-01-2011, 06:14 PM
vladmyir111

Btw one thing that strikes me as funny is what "black monkey" is in Russian....no one would ever say it like that in conversation.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Well said.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

This can go to the argument of why he's leashed by Torts. Obviously Torts doesn't like his antics and this could be one of them he sees that drives him nuts. Pure speculation.

Stepping down to racial slurs to insult and agitate is going to another level. Be an agitator with a sense of self control. Talking about somebody's mom and how they were in the sac is so much better to insult purely on race. It's not sarcasm.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
His 'role' is what got him kicked off the kings and stars. Mocking Dustin Brown's lisp and having poor relationship with Modano with the Stars.
Quote:
This makes the situation even worse. He publicly addresses his support for gay rights, than on the other hand, he daily mocks racial remarks against other players. There is a big line for 'agitating' and he just crossed that line, if this is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
This can go to the argument of why he's leashed by Torts. Obviously Torts doesn't like his antics and this could be one of them he sees that drives him nuts. Pure speculation.

Stepping down to racial slurs to insult and agitate is going to another level. Be an agitator with a sense of self control. Talking about somebody's mom and how they were in the sac is so much better to insult purely on race. It's not sarcasm.
He's entitled to say whatever the hell he wants. Just like you.

Stop getting your panties in a bunch over something this stupid (and fabricated, apparently).

Old
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
He still claimed Avery has a history of racial remarks, there is no other way to work around being 'misinformed' or 'misquoted'
So everyone on earth can use racial remarks but because hes an athlete its forbidden. Give me a break. People should really get over this BS racial crap and just calm down. Im sure if someone made a joke about a white person its wouldint get talked about. Everyone is equal on this earth, everyone has the same rights so what does what people may have said here or there should not matter much at this point in life. At this point in life anyone who uses racism is just finding an excuse for themselves.

Last edited by satrabyk: 08-01-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old
08-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
He's entitled to say whatever the hell he wants. Just like you.

Stop getting your panties in a bunch over something this stupid (and fabricated, apparently).

I could careless if it's true. Yes, he's going to a whole other level with racism, but in all honesty, I'm indifferent with what he's saying on the ice.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I could careless if it's true. Yes, he's going to a whole other level with racism, but in all honesty, I'm indifferent with what he's saying on the ice.
I personally could care less what he says. All I care about is the score, and how he contributes to winning. People are running with yet another BS article and taking things for granted.

Some people here need a Girl or something.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
satrabyk

Quote:

Why? Maybe because he provides energy and helps the team win games through the dreaded Drury years.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I personally could care less what he says. All I care about is the score, and how he contributes to winning. People are running with yet another BS article and taking things for granted.

Some people here need a Girl or something.
Can't disagree at all, especially with the last sentence lol.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
skroob**

The lesson learned here is, you cannot trust anything that comes from a Russian (the reporter, in this case). Been that way for generations now, and its not gonna change anytime soon.

Old
08-01-2011, 07:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Ok. We're done here

Closed Thread