HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Ville Marie tunnel - Concrete structure collapses

Old
08-01-2011, 08:37 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
If only people from montreal could vote, I'm pretty sure the result would be the same. You're from Gatineau so I don't know if you get to drive here often, but this is the kind of thing you see daily:

[images]

See how pathetically frail those structures are ? That's why we're afraid ..
understand this and I know you're afraid because I would be afraid to. But a survey like this is just crap (that's what I meant). It's like the super survey in Le journal the Montreal after a big study about corruption and then they ask people do you think there is corruption in qc... of course people will say yes.

Last edited by Mike8: 08-01-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: removed photos
ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:40 PM
knuck
On and off fan

I agree

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
You guys have never seen what a real third world country looks like, if you're comparing it with Montréal...
It might not be third world standards but its most certainly not first world infrastructure standards... not sure where the problem lies but its time the government gets its act together. If the mafia really controls the construction industry and this is part of the problem, its time for the citizens to turn up the heat on government to clean this up...

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
coolasprICE

we most certainly pay 1st world taxes

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Forsead

Quote:

See how pathetically frail those structures are ? That's why we're afraid ..
Well to be honest none of the structures you showed seem to have any structural damage, only superficials one (it's hard to say with onely theses kind of pictures though, so not dangerous of colapsing. So many so called engineer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
we most certainly pay 1st world taxes
Hard to do anything when half of your total budget go to the healthcare system...this cause to reduce budget for structures for years and years and now we have a problem.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Well to be honest none of the structures you showed seem to have any structural damage, only superficials one (it's hard to say with onely theses kind of pictures though, so not dangerous of colapsing. So many so called engineer...
Neither was the Viger Tunnel, but it fell. A Structural engineer on CTV said today, that by his knowledge, Quebec has no paper keeping structure. They make the checks, & things are filed, Quebec seems to missing a department somewhere. Things seem to get lost in a bureaucratic funnel & money is dispersed who know's where & it's not just the Liberals, the PQ invented screwing everyone over!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

Hard to do anything when half of your total budget go to the healthcare system...this cause to reduce budget for structures for years and years and now we have a problem.
Well I bet from bare eye, the structure on the 720 also looked safe and have no danger of collapsing.. but yeah..

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Neither was the Viger Tunnel
, but it fell.
False just look at pictures in the report done by SNC-Lavalin

Quote:
A Structural engineer on CTV said today, that by his knowledge, Quebec has no paper keeping structure. They make the checks, & things are filed, Quebec seems to missing a department somewhere.
Completly false they have a big database that keep all papers from inspections and projects.

Quote:
Things seem to get lost in a bureaucratic funnel & money is dispersed who know where
Right, but it's alot worse in many many others countries and not just poor one look at France for exemple.

Quote:
& it's not just the Liberals, the PQ invented screwing everyone over!
Can't say this is false though haha

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Delat

Quote:
Neither was the Viger Tunnel, but it fell. A Structural engineer on CTV said today, that by his knowledge, Quebec has no paper keeping structure. They make the checks, & things are filed, Quebec seems to missing a department somewhere. Things seem to get lost in a bureaucratic funnel & money is dispersed who know's where & it's not just the Liberals, the PQ invented screwing everyone over!
I didn't study the Viger Tunnel case from A to Z but from what I heard, a part of it collapsed because of the bad work that has been done by the LOCA construction firm. What does it have to do with Quebec?

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
I didn't study the Viger Tunnel case from A to Z but from what I heard, a part of it collapsed because of the bad work that has been done by the LOCA construction firm. What does it have to do with Quebec?
It will take longer than 2 days to know that for sure, reports that it was unsafe as far as 2008 are coming out.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:39 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Not only the US, I went to Toronto last month and every time I passed a constuction site, I said "Wow, they're actually getting something done, and with quality" unlike some places here where everything is just a quick fix with asphalt.
I've actually seen a place downtown (somewhere around Place des Arts, I believe that actually had the sidewalk repaired with asphalt patches, and the road repaired with concrete patches. It looked ****ing retarded.
To be fair, that could be the fault of the utilities, not the city. Here in Toronto, it is pretty common for gas and hydro companies to tear up the sidewalk to get to underground wires/pipes/lines and then fill it with asphalt as a temporary fix, often forgetting to come back and fix it permanently.

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Player 61
#Winning

[QUOTE=Can't say this is false though haha[/QUOTE]

At least were 50/50

Old
08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Delat

Quote:
It will take longer than 2 days to know that for sure, reports that it was unsafe as far as 2008 are coming out.
And guess why some repairs were actually beign done on it? It just wasn't done correctly, what do you wan't the government to do and if that's really the case you can bet that the LOCA firm will have a tough time surviving. The real problem is the amount of money avalaible to repair those structures, the government is investing on priorities and I'm sure they wouldn't let any structure that's about to fall open. Every event has an explanation. The only recent event where I'd have to blame any kind of political party is the Concorde bridge collapsing. It just wasn't inspected well enough by the city of Laval because of the lack of money to do so and that wouldn't have happened is the government at that time didn't give the responsability of inspecting the bridge to the city of Laval.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
And guess why some repairs were actually beign done on it? It just wasn't done correctly, what do you wan't the government to do and if that's really the case you can bet that the LOCA firm will have a tough time surviving. The real problem is the amount of money avalaible to repair those structures, the government is investing on priorities and I'm sure they wouldn't let any structure that's about to fall open. Every event has an explanation. The only recent event where I'd have to blame any kind of political party is the Concorde bridge collapsing. It just wasn't inspected well enough by the city of Laval because of the lack of money to do so and that wouldn't have happened is the government at that time didn't give the responsability of inspecting the bridge to the city of Laval.
It's lucky no one lost a life(So far). A warning! They better start checking everything, voting correct Federally to increase transfer payments is a start. We can't just start putting up toll roads everywhere either. But if we need to cut back, then start paying for Medical Treatment. Not surgery, but regular mundane visits, I bet it would drop by half, by un-unnecessary visits. We need to keep trading with places like NY, crap..were going to need a New Champlain Bridge to continue it! We need vision, just can't live by now!

Old
08-01-2011, 10:02 PM
guest1467

Quote:
They better start checking everything, voting correct Federally to increase transfer payments is a start.
How about you take it for what it is, a provincial problem? Cut spending, Quebec's deficits are ridiculous.

There are plenty of areas to cut outside of health care.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
How about you take it for what it is, a provincial problem? Cut your spending, your deficits are ridiculous.
Were not all part of the problem, many Canadians on the West Island(Yes Canadians), It's almost like an 11th province. More comments from those that don't live it! Geeze!

Sorry Buddha, you have no idea! What many of us do to make sure the airport is run like any other in the world & live in the fall-out!

The Canadians in the Q have it worst, everyone hates us!

Old
08-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
How about you take it for what it is, a provincial problem? Cut spending, Quebec's deficits are ridiculous.

There are plenty of areas to cut outside of health care.
Agreed, all of us posters here are a huge part of this deficit and we support it 100%.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:28 PM
giovannicanella

I wonder what you all make of the fear and pandemonium expressed of this current hot button issue?

What is the likelihood of your death or injury from infrastructure failure in Quebec?

Are there more pressing concerns in your life right now? If so where would you place the state of infrastructure in Quebec?

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I've always wondered how/why people spray paint on the massive pillars near all the twisty roads.

The one tunnel that isn't too long you go through coming in to Montréal from Ottawa is terrible. It's going to collapse any day imo.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
I wonder what you all make of the fear and pandemonium expressed of this current hot button issue?

What is the likelihood of your death or injury from infrastructure failure in Quebec?

Are there more pressing concerns in your life right now? If so where would you place the state of infrastructure in Quebec?
C- or D, compared to A(Ontario) & A(New York State) A(Vermont) our neighbors. It also looks bad for business for a province with an International City in Montreal. If these re-occurring leaks are just starting, then something major can be on the horizon. Like in Minnesota or the Silver Bridge Collapse, all happened & were preventable. Your kin or friends can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:44 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post

That's kinda funny. Up until the 14th of February at 11:50am, I had the same odds as anyone else in Québec to get hit by concrete falling from an overpass. Since 11:51 am of 11february the 14th, the odds of anyone being hit ONCE in a lifetime are equal to my odds of being hit TWICE

But yeah I bet no one is ever going to get killed, ever.

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:07 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Agreed, all of us posters here are a huge part of this deficit and we support it 100%.
I am guessing this is sarcastic?

I just don't get the "Federal Government give us more money stigma". This is essentially a decentralized federation we have here, the provinces need to take care of our own things.

Quebec has some of the highest taxes in the country, yet still have some of the highest deficits in the country. To top it off, you receive the most in transfer payments from the Federal Government. And the highest provincial debt per GDP at over 40%.

Its quite obvious, Quebec is spending above its means. I am not very well versed in the Quebecois budget, but I'll be taking a look at it in the next couple of years.

When there is a shortage of loanable funds from deficits, long term projects such as infrastructure get under funded, or not invested in, and by a lot of your accounts there is corruption which is compounding the problem. When an aging population is squeezing the transfer funds of the province, and there is persistent shortage of loanable funds available, you have major problems.

Look no further than what is going on in the US, and countries in Europe right now, Quebec is eerily similar to these situations, much more than most provinces.

And before anyone gets defensive and says I am piling on Quebec. You should seriously see the stuff I say about BC and how they run my province. I am also moving to Montreal, and will be trying to become part of the community and will be a resident there for at least 2 years, so its going to be my home, just like a lot of you guys.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
I am not very well versed in the Quebecois budget
This is where you had to stop, no offense. Everyone here knows the province spends above its means, we are not at all eerily similar to Europe (which consists of a number of very different countries, with very different economies and very different challenges, many of which are much more inclined to left wing policies) or the US (which is 1. Federation of States, all with different realities 2. a decentralized government 3. a right wing country only divided by social policy and the banks/insurance vs oil/military lobbies 4. an amount and distribution of debt that's highly irrelevant to our realities) outside of sharing high deficits and debt (for vastly different reasons).

We do have an insane amount of waste and mismanagement though, but after the first year or four you'll live here, you'll understand just how this is not really culturally illogical [and especially not for the age group governing the province]. The best Quebecers either leave, pursue their passions, go into business, get a professional degree... but I've never met a brilliant one who wanted to pursue a political career. The political options in Quebec aren't interesting.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:30 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

It's bad enough that the construction companies collude to drive up prices 25%. If they're going to rip us off, they should at least do a decent job.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
About earthquakes, we do sit on an active fault line and the risk for a potentially damaging earthquake here is quite real.

"In 1732, an earthquake estimated at 5.8 on the Richter scale shook Montreal, causing significant damage.
In 1935, the area of Temiscaming was shaken by an earthquake of magnitude 6.2.
In 1944, an earthquake of magnitude 5.6, located between Cornwall, Ontario and Massena, N.Y., caused damage evaluated at two million dollars of the time."

http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...n-eng.php#WQSZ

If a 5.6 magnitude quake caused damages estimated at 2 mil in a fairly rural area in 1944, imagine what one with its epicenter under Montreal would do now considering how fragile some of these major structures appear to be.
Thanks for interesting info.

Actually...I was going to mention that we do get mini-earthquakes (once a year?)...seems like it's once a year during Spring or early Summer? (lasts 7 to 10 seconds only but it is scary enough...enough to slightly shake a building). But we're still not talking about a major earthquake...at least not in the last 150 years in Mtl...

What is the (approx.) magnitude of these mini-earthquakes (shakes) that we get here in Montreal?

I hope we never have to experience a major earthquake...would be scary for us all. Mother nature...nothing you can do (out of our control...all you can do is try to build earthquake-proof buildings, homes...).

Back to main topic...
Montreal bridges, potholes, tunnels..this is not mother nature.

Inspectors should be hired to inspect the inspectors!!
And inspectors should be hired to inspect the Ville de Montreal workers. Since almost 9 out of 10 say the same thing: ''we see millions of cones and roadblocks for repairs BUT we don't see the workers? and when there are a few workers they don't seem to be doing much

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote