HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Price Ranked 5th In NHL Goalie Ranking

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2011, 04:13 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Can't wait to see what Price does as a follow up to last years breakout season.

Sure he's no Reimer, but no one is

Old
07-31-2011, 05:23 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
All of a sudden Thomas is the best goalie in the world? Give me a break, where was Thomas last season when Rask was the starter and everyone in Boston wanted to trade Thomas for a draft pick or prospect?

Thomas played well this season, in the playoffs and was stellar in the finals but if you ask me, he is almost 40 and will not be able to repeat the performance ever again.

Carey Price, Marc-Andre Fleury and Cam Ward are among the best goalies in the NHL going forward, Carey Price can be the best in the world if and when he wants to be.
Thomas was injured last year. Most people know this. As for goalie ratings, Thomas is easily number one currently,that's not even debateable.

Old
07-31-2011, 06:48 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
Carey is #1

Old
07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Bieber fever

Miller to high and Hiller to low imo...

rest is not bad

Old
07-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
How is Fleury not in your top 10?
too up and down for my liking last year. He's on the cusp of my top 10.

Old
07-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Can't wait to see what Price does as a follow up to last years breakout season.

Sure he's no Reimer, but no one is
That Reimer kid, boy oh boy what a beauty!

Old
07-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I disagree with Price, and others, being above Luongo, Fleury and Ward at this point. They have all proven their worth where it counts, Price hasn't yet.

You can mock those other goalies, but they are winners at a major level, and Price hasn't done that yet. He's around 10-12 in my books, until he has a few great years.
It annoys me that you would put Fleury ahead of Price when Price has bested him so many times despite being on a weaker team. As for Luongo, you've got balls to compare his performance against the Bruins with Price's. So, put Price on a better team and he looks even better than a #5.

By the way: This writer places Halak at #17, a middling rank among 30 starters. From this it would seem that Gauthier knew what he was doing.

Old
07-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
I really hope that Carey can continue what he did last season and I hope he can do it for the next 3 years.

By far in my eyes he's the best Canadian goalie and he will be between the pipes in the next Olympics.

As a Bruins fan I can honestly say this. Price did not lose you the series last season.
Agreed, but I must ask, why only 3 years? It's not like he's Tim Thomas's age.

Old
07-31-2011, 10:42 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Miller to high and Hiller to low imo...

rest is not bad
Miller is too high? Based on what?

He's one of the best 3 goalies in the league.

Old
07-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It annoys me that you would put Fleury ahead of Price when Price has bested him so many times despite being on a weaker team.
..and it annoys me how many people discredit other proven goalies and their accomplishments, when Price hasn't done any of it yet.

Quote:
As for Luongo, you've got balls to compare his performance against the Bruins with Price's. So, put Price on a better team and he looks even better than a #5.
No, I'm comparing Price's performance from two years ago when he was chased out of the building, and almost out of town.. and from a lot of people here as well.

Oh.. and you don't just put a goalie on a great team and you are suddenly one of the top goaltenders in the league btw. Have a look at how that worked out for Theodore, Nabokov and the other long line of goalies that never worked out for. That is a stupid argument.

Quote:
By the way: This writer places Halak at #17, a middling rank among 30 starters. From this it would seem that Gauthier knew what he was doing.
I could care less, as I was also wanting them to trade Halak, and not Price. I love Price, this has never been a question, its the lack of respect the homers here show for other goalies that is the issue I took. If you actually read some of what I wrote, you would know I am a supporter of Price.

People just love to hate MAF, Luongo and Thomas, but their stats just don't lie.. they are all great goaltenders.

Old
07-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Stradale

Please stop with the accomplishment vs. not to compare goalies. Niemi has accomplished more than Price, doesn't mean he's the better goalie.

I'd take Price over Fleury without a single doubt even if Fleury has a cup ring.

But but but he's so clutch when he made that save on Lidstrom right??? That save is way overrated and any good goalie would have stopped that. He didn't look so clutch when we played against him last year.

And since when .906 of save % in his career is considered as "great stat".

Old
08-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
..and it annoys me how many people discredit other proven goalies and their accomplishments, when Price hasn't done any of it yet.

No, I'm comparing Price's performance from two years ago when he was chased out of the building, and almost out of town.. and from a lot of people here as well.

Oh.. and you don't just put a goalie on a great team and you are suddenly one of the top goaltenders in the league btw. Have a look at how that worked out for Theodore, Nabokov and the other long line of goalies that never worked out for. That is a stupid argument.

I could care less, as I was also wanting them to trade Halak, and not Price. I love Price, this has never been a question, its the lack of respect the homers here show for other goalies that is the issue I took. If you actually read some of what I wrote, you would know I am a supporter of Price.

People just love to hate MAF, Luongo and Thomas, but their stats just don't lie.. they are all great goaltenders.
I wouldn't trade Price for MAF if the Pens threw in a first rounder and a prospect. I wouldn't trade Price for a thirtyish Luongo if the Canucks threw in their next three first rounders, considering where the Canucks would finish if they had Price. It would defeat everything Timmins had in mind for the Habs.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:20 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Anxious to see Price this year and see if he can back up his accomplishments from last year as he was stellar. Kinda wished the Habs would have kept Auld. Those two just seemed to have a good rapport with each other.

Old
08-01-2011, 06:51 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

Doesn't really have to do with overrating Price, or underrating other goalies. I get why people make ratings like this, but there isn't a single goalie in the league I'd rather have than Price, he's younger than anyone else who is in his same ballpark (by several years or more in many cases) and I also much more appreciate his style of play. He is one of the most "boring" goalies I've ever seen play the game. I realize Fleury won the cup, and this year Thomas won the cup, Conn Smythe AND Vezina but I'd rather Price than Fleury and Thomas, not even close. If anyone thinks that positions switched and the Bruins have Price last year instead of Thomas and they wouldn't have won the cup they didn't really watch the games all that closely. The Bruins were just as much about their smart defensive play that allows shots but not really quality chances as they were about Thomas doing anything magnificently.

Can't wait to see what Price does for the next decade and a half.

Old
08-01-2011, 08:08 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Completely irrelevant. This list was decided on the goaltender's performance of last season. It's easy to pick the guy that won it all.

Thomas had the best season for sure....

but none of the top 4 guys ahead of price lost 2 of thier top 4 d-men for most of the season.

im not saying the list is wrong, im just throwing out that fact....

Old
08-01-2011, 08:14 AM
theboss*

All I hope is that Price can play as good as the almighty Reimer

Old
08-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Teufelsdreck

Let's look at the bigger picture. There are better teams in the NHL than the Habs, BUT not one is better simply because it has better goaltending, and that includes the Bruins. We can find comfort in the fact that Thomas is old in hockey terms. He'll be finished before Price is 30. The Bruins have a capable #2 in Rask but he's not quite Thomas (or Price). The Habs have to improve at other positions. It's ironic that the better Price plays the higher the Habs will finish in the standings and the lower their draft picks. The same thing happened to the Devils, who couldn't bring in enough new talent every season because they've had Brodeur for so long.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Well if he has success past the 3 years that affects the Bruins so I don't want that..

If Price is still playing at 37 years old and wins the Cup, Vezina and Conn Smyth he will of had a great career. For Thomas to accomplish that at such a late age was and still is amazing.

Someone on here mentioned a lot of Price's problems were between his ears and I really believe that. If he can keep himself level headed the Canadiens will be a force in the North East. It's not like the team sucks.
Yeah I think most people who follow hockey have a bit of a soft spot for Tim Thomas. Great story. Honestly dude looks like a good guy too.

But there is a part of me that's happy he's not 27 that's for sure.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Subnordi

In my opinion the top 5 goalies is pretty much the only accurate part of these lists. Every list is messed up IMO.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
I remember when Chris Shafer said Ray Emery was as good as Carey Price.

Yeeaaaaaah, good times.

Old
08-01-2011, 08:29 PM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
Price is the best in the world I'm but biased but I've been told by multiple NHL scouts multiple times that he is
Habs fans no doubt.

Old
08-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Lions999

Rinne number 1 and Price number 2

Old
08-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Thomas had the best season for sure....

but none of the top 4 guys ahead of price lost 2 of thier top 4 d-men for most of the season.

im not saying the list is wrong, im just throwing out that fact....
Well, Ryan Miller lost two of his top four in the offseason

I think of those four, only Rinne had a crazy defensive team in front of him. The Rangers D had gaps, big ones. The Canadiens were decimated by injury in front of Price. Buffalo lost their defense in free agency before the year began. And Boston's D was not exactly huge for them until the later rounds of the playoffs.

We can argue all day, but to me, if you based it off of JUST this season... Thomas, Rinne and Luongo (note Vezina nominees) beat Price.

If it was based off a reasonable sample size (a few seasons) and factoring in performance to date, you have to give Miller and Lundqvist nods over him too (and maybe even Brodeur, he's only had one down year).

Now if I were to project out 2-5 years, then of course, Price and others jump up, but for all we know Alex Auld will be the best NHL goalie in 2-5 years Stranger things have happened. See Thomas, Tim.

Closed Thread