HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Captain Caveman" Edition: Nashville Predators vs. Shea Weber 8/2/2011

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
The "Captain Caveman" Edition: Nashville Predators vs. Shea Weber 8/2/2011

The day is here. t- 1.25 hours

And its offical. To Arbitration we go.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 08-02-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old
08-02-2011, 07:54 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Oh Lawd

Old
08-02-2011, 08:00 AM
cleangene

Do ya think someone at the Bridgestone equipment room is starting to sew a C on David Legwand's gold jersey right about now?

Old
08-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Nitrous Mafia

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Do ya think someone at the Bridgestone equipment room is starting to sew a C on David Legwand's gold jersey right about now?
If it comes down to it that is my vote.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:12 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

What kills me is this: Going into the summer the Predators were on a high note, finishing strong adding Fisher to the line-up, 2nd round of the playoffs attendance up, etc. The Titans, finshed horrible, fired staff, fired qb1, lock-out, etc.

So instead of riding that, the Predators dump payroll, have a paperwork screw-up and take their first and only homegrown star player and captain to arbitration even while being 7m under the required cap floor.

We can give 100 reason's why the Predators have done this or that, and some are legit, but these are in fact things that happened this summer that were negative to the team.

The Titans on the other hand, draft what seems to be a stand-up guy as a future qb1, sign one of the better available stop gaps qb1, sign the line-backer they needed and beef up the defensive line, all positives things despite the lock-out.

Good job Predators, way to crash that wave....

Old
08-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I think people are panicking way too much here. Yes, it isn't ideal, but this isn't that bad of a situation.

1. Shea chose a 1 year deal. That means he wants to be here, but wants Poile to prove that we are dedicated to winning. I have no issue with that. Shea choosing 1 year means he wants to stay in Nashville, and is using his power to try to get the scoring help we need. Can you blame him? If any of us had the leverage to force Poile to make a move for offense I think we would take it. Weber wants Nashville to be successful.

2. Barring a trade, he is still ours at the end of the day. No matter what is awarded, we have the money this year, and its a one year deal, so we can negotiate next season. Because we have so much space to the cap floor, There is quite literally no realistic award we could not take on. Shea will still be a Predator if he wants to be, and judging by the one year decision, he wants to be.

3. The arbitrator will likely split the difference in our demands, and there is a decent chance that this price will be cheaper than one we could have negotiated.

Calm people. It's not like Shea is gone. It's taking awhile, but he's still a Pred, and he's still our captain.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:28 AM
RaiderDoug

Anyone else being extremely unproductive at work, wearing out the refresh button?

Old
08-02-2011, 08:28 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I'm sure that would convince Weber to stay with us.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Anyone else being extremely unproductive at work, wearing out the refresh button?
Me!

Old
08-02-2011, 08:34 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I'm sure that would convince Weber to stay with us.
I was meaning that chances of not having the current Captain in the future are growing smaller (most people got it). I started to put Suter's name in there, but it seems there will be no money problems about keeping #11.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:45 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I think people are panicking way too much here. Yes, it isn't ideal, but this isn't that bad of a situation.

1. Shea chose a 1 year deal. That means he wants to be here, but wants Poile to prove that we are dedicated to winning. I have no issue with that. Shea choosing 1 year means he wants to stay in Nashville, and is using his power to try to get the scoring help we need. Can you blame him? If any of us had the leverage to force Poile to make a move for offense I think we would take it. Weber wants Nashville to be successful.

2. Barring a trade, he is still ours at the end of the day. No matter what is awarded, we have the money this year, and its a one year deal, so we can negotiate next season. Because we have so much space to the cap floor, There is quite literally no realistic award we could not take on. Shea will still be a Predator if he wants to be, and judging by the one year decision, he wants to be.

3. The arbitrator will likely split the difference in our demands, and there is a decent chance that this price will be cheaper than one we could have negotiated.

Calm people. It's not like Shea is gone. It's taking awhile, but he's still a Pred, and he's still our captain.
So that's what it's come to that we now have to stick pins in David Poile voodoo doll to get him to get this team some offense. Geez!!!

Old
08-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
So that's what it's come to that we now have to stick pins in David Poile voodoo doll to get him to get this team some offense. Geez!!!
Polie will not overpay for offense. he is waiting for the opprotunity to get it at the right price. He finds guys like SK and Bergfors off the scrap heap for low prices, and he will use that same philosophy for a long time. Poile is just watching and waiting for a true scorer to become availible at the right cost. I am glad he isn't just trading great assests away wily-nily in overpayments.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:59 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
What kills me is this: Going into the summer the Predators were on a high note, finishing strong adding Fisher to the line-up, 2nd round of the playoffs attendance up, etc. The Titans, finshed horrible, fired staff, fired qb1, lock-out, etc.

So instead of riding that, the Predators dump payroll, have a paperwork screw-up and take their first and only homegrown star player and captain to arbitration even while being 7m under the required cap floor.

We can give 100 reason's why the Predators have done this or that, and some are legit, but these are in fact things that happened this summer that were negative to the team.

The Titans on the other hand, draft what seems to be a stand-up guy as a future qb1, sign one of the better available stop gaps qb1, sign the line-backer they needed and beef up the defensive line, all positives things despite the lock-out.

We can't have a summer after this past year where Weber was locked up and Rad coming back and then Preds announce that a new owner has been added. Forgive me maybe I'm just referencing and old twilight zone episode predator style....remember the hot and cold extreme episode

Old
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Top 6 Spaling

My clock says 8:00............

Old
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

well ****. now everyyone can commence panicking

Old
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Exactly. Well put.

Old
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Darren Dreger
No deal for Weber. Going to arbitration now.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:02 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Ughhhhhh

Old
08-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Jarnberg

Poile knows best!

Old
08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
tulsytrid1

Kind of sick to my stomach that something wasn't done. I would think that this team would want to avoid arbitration at all costs with our Norris candidate, but like what has been said, Poile knows best

Old
08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
thomas magnum

Well now that they are going into arbitration I have to say this sucks.

I remember reading an interview with the former GM of the Thrasher Rick Dudley in which he describes arbitration as the worst thing that a player could ever do with a team (I'm paraphrasing). The reason why he says that is because the way the arbitration process goes is that a player presents his case for why he should be rewarded X amount of dollars based on performance and then a representative of the team basically rips them a new ******* and does their best to present it to the arbitrator that he is essentially worthless to the team in order to get the ruling to come back with the least amount of money possible.

That doesn't sound like the best way to show a player how much he means to the future of your team and ask him to stay. I hope this isn't how things go today.

PS. I really wish I could find that article where Dudley describes the process. I have no idea where I read it.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Poile knows best!
yea Poile knew best when he let Stevens go

Old
08-02-2011, 09:20 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Polie will not overpay for offense. he is waiting for the opprotunity to get it at the right price. He finds guys like SK and Bergfors off the scrap heap for low prices, and he will use that same philosophy for a long time. Poile is just watching and waiting for a true scorer to become availible at the right cost. I am glad he isn't just trading great assests away wily-nily in overpayments.
Philosophically, I agree with this. Offense slumps, generally Defense does not. Sure, a Dman can have an occasional bad game, but even your best scorers go through slumps and some are prolonged.

And, directly related, O is a little more inconsistent. Look at Horny as an example, went from scoring 30 to scoring 21 - that's a 30% decrease in goals scored. Or the deals that get bemoaned around here so much - Leggy and Erat after they had their big seasons which they're really not close to reaching again.

I'm cautiously in the "Shea is pushing Poile to upgrade the O and/or prove the kids are ready to step up" camp. Unfortunately, if we're here with Shea, I don't see how we get around Suter's contract next year.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I still want to know why everyone is assuming that poile is the problem here when a much more likely scenario is Weber is refusing to sign anything more than one year, for reasons known only to him.

If Im in Poiles shoes and I know that I cant get more than one year no matter what then I have zero to lose and possibly a million or more dollars to gain by going through with the arbitration. Its a little too late to worry about hurt feelings.

What I am anxious to hear is not Poiles comments but Weber's. Hopefully he mans up and explains why he only wanted a one year deal and we can put all this to rest.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Jarnberg

You have plenty to lose during arbitration. The relationship between the player and organization can get severed. Read anything on arbitration.

Closed Thread