HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders on the move (thread originated in summer 2011)?

Old
08-02-2011, 07:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Bummer. I really thought it would pass. I guess the people there would rather have a vacant stadium (knocking it down, I would assume?) than a hockey team that really looks to be on the upswing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:52 AM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
What's really sad is that the Isles will move out of the area and when those "voters" realize the amount of money they aren't making, they will be clamoring for the next failing franchise to come back to Long Island.

Just like Winnipeg, a team could return, but with none of that great Isles' history will come with it.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:01 AM
CptCannon

Oh, the original source of that information has been corrected by others and the building has been/will be modified so an NHL rink will fit in. Sorry for previous misinformation.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:13 AM
FlyersFan61290

that's horrible. no doubt in my mind islanders will be good by 2015-16 (and for at least a few years with all the young talent they have). a team with that much history leaving just really sucks.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Foreverinour

maybe E from entourage can keep the team in NY.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:55 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

No more free wins!

But I never like the idea of any cup winner moving.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:04 AM
xX LURKIN Xx

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/brookl...w7QeBpfR4O2XQO

confirmed Barclays can hold a hockey rink. It will only seat 14.5k though. The move may not be too far.

xX LURKIN Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:05 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Queens is on Long Island.
Oh..... I knew that.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Wasn't there mention of them possibly moving to Queens? I'd be in favor of that option if that could happen, of course neither their name nor their logo would make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Queens is on Long Island.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
flyguys7475

"islanders fan huh? team of the future i say"

flyguys7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
MrHockey1982

I live up here in the NYC area and a move to Brooklyn or Queens would be the best move possible for the Islanders. Uniondale is way too far out on Long Island and to get there via mass transit you have to take a train and then the bus. It's something like a 2 hour trip from Hoboken, NJ where I live and that's literally on the edge of NJ on the Hudson river next to Manhattan.

If they moved to Brooklyn with the Nets, it would be great because a lot of fans are there and the NYC subway goes there. If they moved to Queens in a new stadium, say next to where the Mets play, the subway goes up there too. You could make it there in about 45 minutes to both places I am guessing which is much better. This worked very well with the Devils new arena in Newark because trains go right there as well and the stadium is more accessible. When the Devils were in Rutherford you would have to drive or take a bus from NYC to get there. However, a new train was built that now goes to New Meadowlands stadium.

I highly doubt that the Islanders are going to move out of NY. It's the largest market in the US and there are several different options that make sense for them if a deal can't be done out on Long Island.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:35 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I highly doubt that the Islanders are going to move out of NY. It's the largest market in the US and there are several different options that make sense for them if a deal can't be done out on Long Island.
They have an owner willing to fund the thing. All they need to do is move out of that county and/or borough. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be able to get a deal done somewhere in NY. An Islander fan friend of mine swears Suffolk would be a far better fit.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Stonehands77

I'm not quite sure I see why the public not wanting to pay for a billionaire's stadium is a bad thing, although perhaps I don't know all the particulars in this case. Most studies I've ever seen about the economic benefits of stadiums, though, show that they're illusory at best. And in economic times where states/counties/cities have trouble funding education, road/bridge repair, and other vital, necessary services, I'm not sure why we should be pushing for them to instead raise taxes to pay for something like this.

Would the Islanders moving suck for their fans? Yes, and as a former inhabitant of CT with fond memories of the Whalers, I can totally sympathize. I cannot sympathize with an incredibly rich man claiming he needs the public paying for his stadium, however.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Who cares.............

**** happens ...

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:48 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I'm not quite sure I see why the public not wanting to pay for a billionaire's stadium is a bad thing, although perhaps I don't know all the particulars in this case. Most studies I've ever seen about the economic benefits of stadiums, though, show that they're illusory at best. And in economic times where states/counties/cities have trouble funding education, road/bridge repair, and other vital, necessary services, I'm not sure why we should be pushing for them to instead raise taxes to pay for something like this.

Would the Islanders moving suck for their fans? Yes, and as a former inhabitant of CT with fond memories of the Whalers, I can totally sympathize. I cannot sympathize with an incredibly rich man claiming he needs the public paying for his stadium, however.
From what I know Wang had every intention in privately funding it however the county would not let him. I'm not going to pretend to know all the details but something was preventing Wang from privately funding it, and Wang claimed that the profits from the arena would directly pay for it.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:06 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Cash is king. Not history or any sort of reverence for the past!

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:35 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

All this did was force their hand for private investors to come up with the cash. wang doesnt own the land or he'd do it himself. as far as the vote, as much as i love hockey , id vote no too. i dont trust the government to be competent enough to handle this 400 mil the right way. its only a couple bucks my a ss. Their already payin out the a s s. if it means that much to long island they'll find a way to do it. No way are the Islanders goin to Quesuck. thank you. bye bye.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:26 PM
tuckrr

man, and they will be a force in like 3-4 more years...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
From what I know Wang had every intention in privately funding it however the county would not let him. I'm not going to pretend to know all the details but something was preventing Wang from privately funding it, and Wang claimed that the profits from the arena would directly pay for it.
Ahh, thank you. If Wang did indeed intend to fund it privately, then kudos to him. Very bizarre case, it sounds. I'll have to look more in to it.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:41 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
I feel horrible for them. Hopefully they'll make something happen in Nassau or make a seamless move to Brooklyn. 14.5k isn't terrible, but thats pretty small for an NHL team. Maybe they can make some type of modifications or add some suites to get it up to 16k

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:14 PM
kammy

islanders ... the most blatantly mismanaged team in the nhl over the last decade+

they fell victim to one of the classic blunders! the first is never get involved in a land war in asia, the second, slightly less well known, is never let guys named wang and kumar make hockey deals.

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Wasn't there mention of them possibly moving to Queens? I'd be in favor of that option if that could happen, of course neither their name nor their logo would make sense.
I always like it when teams that move keep their name even when it doesn't make sense.

There were no street cars in LA to dodge when Brooklyn moved there.
There are no Lakes in LA
There are no Grizzlies in Memphis
Salt Lake is not known for Jazz

I like it because it doesn't make much sense and makes you dig to find their roots.

I wish Tennessee kept the name "Oilers".

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I always like it when teams that move keep their name even when it doesn't make sense.

There were no street cars in LA to dodge when Brooklyn moved there.
There are no Lakes in LA
There are no Grizzlies in Memphis
Salt Lake is not known for Jazz

I like it because it doesn't make much sense and makes you dig to find their roots.

I wish Tennessee kept the name "Oilers".

Queens is a part of Long Island. The name would still make perfect sense.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
SilverPlaqueVII

Send a message via MSN to SilverPlaqueVII Send a message via Skype™ to SilverPlaqueVII
*bumps and dusts off baby*

Since Markham, Ontario is ready for the NHL franchise in 2014, the Islanders will move there. However, like Art Modell, Markham will acknowledge the Isles four Cup wins and will go haywire.

If the Islanders are close to be relocated, the NHL will suspend the team for a few years, get a new arena, and let Markham establish an expansion franchise as team 31 similar to that of NFL's Ravens. They'll be back in three years.

EDIT: The Islanders legacy will stay in the LI if the team is moved out or something (ala Cleveland Browns)

SilverPlaqueVII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlaqueVII View Post
*bumps and dusts off baby*

Since Markham, Ontario is ready for the NHL franchise in 2014, the Islanders will move there. However, like Art Modell, Markham will acknowledge the Isles four Cup wins and will go haywire.

If the Islanders are close to be relocated, the NHL will suspend the team for a few years, get a new arena, and let Markham establish an expansion franchise as team 31 similar to that of NFL's Ravens. They'll be back in three years.

EDIT: The Islanders legacy will stay in the LI if the team is moved out or something (ala Cleveland Browns)
And that is your speculation or what? Sounds like you read that somewhere, link would be appreciated (not to say required).

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote